Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [BBD] Battlebond

[BBD] Battlebond

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ond-2018-02-14

So this is going to be a set designed to be drafted and then played in two handed giant.
    The interesting part is that it will feature new cards, which will go into the legacy card pool, but not the modern one (like Conspiracy and Commander).

What I hope for is that the Play Design Team was involved here, and having hired Tom Ross in part for that reason, have actually tested and considered the impact of the new cards on Legacy and come up with some interesting ones.

Re: [BBD] Battlebond

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostSon View Post
    What I hope for is that the Play Design Team was involved here, and having hired Tom Ross in part for that reason, have actually tested and considered the impact of the new cards on Legacy and come up with some interesting ones.
    I'm hoping for lands that play like ABUR duals in Legacy but have an elegant and meaningful drawback in draft or 2-headed giant.

Just imagine the boon to our format...
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    I'm hoping for lands that play like ABUR duals in Legacy but have an elegant and meaningful drawback in draft or 2-headed giant.

Just imagine the boon to our format...
    If they want to move product, that would be the best way. But why does it always have to be a drawback? They could make duals that are slightly better and probably don't have much of an impact, e.g.:

When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control more basic lands than nonbasic lands, you gain 1 life.
    That would hardly ruin the format, given that you would have to have at least two basics into play before even gaining a neglectable advantage.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Since the focus would be on 2HG, they could just print benefit/drawbacks that happen to your teammate that would be totally disregarded in traditional play.
    Same way TNN or will of the council jump in power in a one v one game.

Print a Dual that says "CITP, each of your teammates discards a card"
    Has a relevant drawback to the limited scope they're focusing on, but in Legacy it's 1:1 the same as ABUR Duals.

Now will they do this?

No
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

If they're going to start designing cards for legacy, I really wish they would also find a way to print a manabase and other cards (LED, Tabernacle, etc) that hold the format together. Otherwise they'll create more interest, drive the prices of our duals up even further, and price anyone interested out of the format.

Just seems absurd, they could just print themselves more money by addressing the reserved list. Based on the prices of unplayable (and already reprinted) legends/arabian nights/antiquities cards these days, I think the market has proved that even without a reserve list collectors will still highly value original printings from 25 years ago. In fact, keeping the game alive by reprinting reserve list cards may be the only thing that will ensure the collectability and value of those old cards in the years to come.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    If they're going to start designing cards for legacy, I really wish they would also find a way to print a manabase and other cards (LED, Tabernacle, etc) that hold the format together. Otherwise they'll create more interest, drive the prices of our duals up even further, and price anyone interested out of the format.

Just seems absurd, they could just print themselves more money by addressing the reserved list. Based on the prices of unplayable (and already reprinted) legends/arabian nights/antiquities cards these days, I think the market has proved that even without a reserve list collectors will still highly value original printings from 25 years ago. In fact, keeping the game alive by reprinting reserve list cards may be the only thing that will ensure the collectability and value of those old cards in the years to come.
    "The Game" and "Legacy" are two entirely different things. They only really care about one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    "The Game" and "Legacy" are two entirely different things. They only really care about one of them.
    Agreed but the point is they "could" be a lot better at monetizing legacy. And if they could make money off of legacy, their business folk would then have the designers do more for us..I think...
    Last edited by kinda; 02-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Sure but legacy is a part of the game that they are not monetizing as well as they could be. Look at the interest in the masters sets, the demand sure seems like it's there. I would imagine someone at WOTC might even consider legacy support a part of diversifying your income a little bit.

I'm not suggesting that standard doesn't make WOTC money, or even that players like standard, of course both of those things are true! Simply that legacy could also make WOTC money and I would argue a functioning legacy (and vintage and old school) scene is part of what sustains the market for old collectable cards. The value of those old cards I think in part depends on the game that uses them remaining in the public eye being played.

Anyway, we're way way off topic. I'm curious what a 2HG set with legacy designed cards will look like at least.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Mar 2007

https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/coming-soon

At least Battlebond has a bit of breathing room between releases instead of being packed into a "4 sets in 4 months" schedule which lead to Conspiracy 2 underperforming. That's still a metric shitton of product released in the next half year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Anyway, we're way way off topic. I'm curious what a 2HG set with legacy designed cards will look like at least.
    And I wonder if WotC can be assed to port them to MTGO. It took them ages to bring over the Monarch cards.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLostSon View Post
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ond-2018-02-14

So this is going to be a set designed to be drafted and then played in two handed giant.
    The interesting part is that it will feature new cards, which will go into the legacy card pool, but not the modern one (like Conspiracy and Commander).

Tom Ross works for Wizards now???

I did not know that. I was wondering where he went. After Probe got banned and Infect turned to shit he just slowly disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Since the focus would be on 2HG, they could just print benefit/drawbacks that happen to your teammate that would be totally disregarded in traditional play.

Has a relevant drawback to the limited scope they're focusing on, but in Legacy it's 1:1 the same as ABUR Duals.

Now will they do this?

No
    They are definitely 'too afraid' to do anything that could be construed as circumventing the reserve list.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

Now will they do this?

No
    Unfortunately, it looks as though you were correct.

Would i have killed them to give them basic land types to at least be useful for EDH players? I guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    They are definitely 'too afraid' to do anything that could be construed as circumventing the reserve list.
    i don't think so, this is a scarecrow sentences that speculating people use to avoid any plan of Hasbro to reprint.
    But is written nowhere that Wiz\hasbro cannot change is policy on reserved list.

The day Hasbro will remove reserved list, the game will have a boost once again.

Also they could print same cards (lion's eye diamond ->rename -> Tiger's eye diamond) with same effect and reserved list is safe while the game can continue to improve also on paper.
    And at the same time ban the early card (led in this case).

I know sounds strange to You, but it is what they are already doing with MTGO. "printing" card opening the game to everyone.

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks as though you were correct.

Would i have killed them to give them basic land types to at least be useful for EDH players? I guess so.
    They are still useful for EDH players, manabases often have random Brushland or the like to fill them out and these are pretty strictly upgrades to those unless you're running Eldrazi.

Speaking of GW lands, that Bountiful Promenade art looks like shit. No life CGI, yay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    i don't think so, this is a scarecrow sentences that speculating people use to avoid any plan of Hasbro to reprint.
    But is written nowhere that Wiz\hasbro cannot change is policy on reserved list.
    Well, on the Reserved List page, it does say "In consideration of past commitments, however, no cards will be removed from this list."

Don't worry guys, they'll still cram a format breaking U or U/x creature in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Well, on the Reserved List page, it does say "In consideration of past commitments, however, no cards will be removed from this list."
    Yes.
    Sometimes policies changes.

Mar 2007

We've been over this over and over again. The main problem isn't the RL, but the horseshit called "spirit of the Reserve List" to justify not getting around it, despite clearly recognizing the RL as mistake.

And then we have people like Maro who don't understand the format, claiming stupid shit like 8 same-color duals would break the format, when in fact most decks don't even run a full playset of each dual due to fetchlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulabnar View Post
    Yes.
    Sometimes policies changes.
    I think as long as Maro is at WOTC, and MTG isnt about to die, I doubt it will change. This doesn't have anything to do with my opinion on the reserve list, this is just from what Maro and other r&d have said on the matter. I recall that on one of their streams they mentioned how restrictive it is to current card design (like they aren't allowed to print a 1WW 2/2 flying first strike because Thunder Spirit is on the reserve list). MTGO is different, outside of redemption, it is more like you are leasing the cards from WOTC. While it is good for eternal formats, it isn't the same thing.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I think as long as Maro is at WOTC, and MTG isnt about to die, I doubt it will change.
    So we just have to wait for ARENA? /s
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information