Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [BBD] Battlebond

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: [BBD] Battlebond

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    Our in-house Vintage players think it's stealth filthy in Vintage, but it's got a ton of targets in Legacy - Brainstorm, Extraction, Probe, Cabal Therapy, STP, Thoughtseize, Bolt, Pyro/Hydroblast, GSZ, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    As an old Vintage player: I can't even see it relevant, if you have Demonic, Mystical, Merchant Scroll, Vampric and Imperial already.
    Agreed. This seems unplayable in Vintage, it's like a worse version of Merchant Scroll. Costing 3 is awful since now you're stuck casting it turn 2 most likely (assuming 1 mox average starter hand), and being a 1/1 means you can't run it in Oath. It doesn't find your bombs like Yawg Will, and wouldn't be as good with a YW compared to the other tutors since again, it costs 3. I have a really hard time believing anyone who has played a few games of Vintage would think this is any good. A 1/1 body is just trash in that format. Did you end up using the word "filthy" as in actually disgustingly bad, because then I'd agree.

Nov 2017
    SKILL INTENSIVE branches

Spellseeker has the potential to be good. As a straight tutor, it's nothing special, but the fact that it is a 187 creature means that the effect isn't too difficult to repeat. Blink and bounce effects are probably too cute for Legacy and Vintage (nuts in EDH or Cube though), but I could see this card occupying a role in grindy U/x/y decks. I see it as, essentially, a Snapcaster or Kess that can't be fought by gravehate like DRS.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Spellseeker seems great, i think power level wise its probably somewhere below Snapcaster and above Eternal Witness.

If you can durdle with Baleful Strix in Legacy, this seems like it has a chance, just not as a 4 of most likely.

I kind of want to cast Spellspeaker with a Sapphire Medallion in play and fetch an AK.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Spellseeker seems great, i think power level wise its probably somewhere below Snapcaster and above Eternal Witness.

If you can durdle with Baleful Strix in Legacy, this seems like it has a chance, just not as a 4 of most likely.
    This seems accurate. It's good, but not busted in any deck that currently exists. It seems like presently, it would fit best into some kind of control shell, like stoneblade, or pile. But I don't think its actually good enough there.

If only it cost 1 less, or had 1 more power it would be a new staple.

Site Contributor

Mar 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA

Isn't Spellseeker good in UBx Reanimator?

It searches up whichever half of the combo you don't have (Entomb/Careful Study; Reanimate/Exhume), but can also be used to find whatever utility spell you might need for disruption/answer (e.g. Thoughtseize; Daze; Echoing Truth, etc.) The deck could also justify running more silver bullets in the main and/or sideboard if it's running a tutor spell.

Now the most obvious thing it needs to be compared to is Intuition, seeing as it can do almost the same thing except at instant speed and no CMC restrictions (Intuition can also occasionally be useful for getting stuff in the graveyard). However, there are some advantages of Spellseeker being a creature:
    1) avoids Spell Pierce and Duress and whatnot
    2) doesn't get taxed by Thalia
    3) provides a speed bump against a ground threats; in a super long grindy game the damage could be relevant
    4) it's a good card to discard to Careful Study

Reanimator can be explosive, especially the RBx builds. But going UBx has the advantage of getting counterspells and cantrips, trading explosiveness for consistency. Just seems like a possible fit for the card in Legacy.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

You would have to rework the mana base. Reanimate works on slim margins.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I wonder if there's a critical mass of cost reducers yet to do some dumb shit.

This design is just plain weird.

Huh... Skyshroud Claim fetches non-basic forests untapped.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I think the Value of Spellslinger in a 4c or midrange build would be that you could have a small but robust tutor package that could deal with any threat.

1 push
    1 bolt
    1 ADecay
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Edict
    1 spellpierce
    1 Therapy
    1 Hymn
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Reanimate, bounce or blink effect

Plus all your Brainstorms and Ponders seems like a really fun tutor package to play around with.

Just run some DRS, Snapcasters, YP's, along with this and a leovold or strix or two seems worth exploring. Might be too clunky, or not pro active enough, but i'd test it out.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Huh... Skyshroud Claim fetches non-basic forests untapped.
    It's an old reprint, not new to the format.

Yep, it's a Commander all star already - originally printed in Nemesis.

Wizards just absolutely refuses to print any green creature that can ETB or repeatedly fight by itself at a reasonable cost, don't they? Nightmares of FTK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

This one looks rather interesting.

Great win con for Spiral Tide

Fumble is a hell of sideboard card. Bounce a creature and gain control of opponent Jittle, Batterskull or Sword?
    Sorry, I don't know how to post images.

Edit: no sword, the creature would have protecion, lol.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Great win con for Spiral Tide
    There might be more to the card than on first glance. People have pointed out Reaping the Rewards as a potential combo card. Retrace cards like Flame Jab or Raven's Crime might also work in some kind of Loam shell. 5 consecutive Flame Jab casts in one turn are 20 damage.

There's also Ruby Storm that can certainly use it, considering they've had success with Guttersnipe of all things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Sorry, but opponent’s Brainstorm and counters trigger it as well?

You cast a Sorcery, he counters.. is that already 5 damages? Should you counter back would that be a 9 damage stack in total?

That thing wins alone if I read it well. 2 Bolts effect would be 11 damages? And the third kills.

UR control?
    Jace Chandra and Sentinel Tower

[BBD] Battlebond

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

It's rather similar to snapcaster, slower sure, but with a stronger etb effect.
    In a value/grind control deck this can be a dork wincon and at the same time facilitate a toolbox of answers. How about one-off marsh casalties, edict, disenchant-type-card and surgical and this to fetch it.
    I think this card could see play.

All your removals are instants?

Thread Information