Thread: [SCD] Madcap Experiment

[SCD] Madcap Experiment

Hey guys,

I'm wondering why Madcap Experiment doesn't see any play.
    It pairs well with Platinum Emperion. It's basically an 8/8 for 4 mana that the opponent has to get rid of (in most cases).

Postboard Platinum Emperion can be boarded out for Lich's Mirror. With Lich's Mirror Madcap Experiment turns into a draw 7 that resets your mana and your life total. Against certain decks you can switch to the control role via Burning Wish and push the reset button via Mirror afterwards. Here's a list:

3 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Volcanic Island
    2 Underground Sea

3 Madcap Experiment

1 Platinum Emperion
    2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    4 Omniscience

4 Force of Will
    3 Thoughtseize

3 Show and Tell
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Cunning Wish
    1 Impulse
    1 Intuition
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain

SB:
    1 Lich's Mirror
    1 Enter the Infinite
    1 Show and Tell
    1 Massacre
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Madcap Experiment
    1 Firemind's Foresight
    1 Intuition
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Release the Ants
    1 Through the Breach
    1 Kozilek's Return
    2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Perhaps an entirely new Control deck could be built around the Madcap Experiment + Lich's Mirror interaction.

Any thoughts?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [SCD] Madcap Experiment

not sure how good it is, but if you find a way to float mana while resolving it (trying to find lich's mirror), you can start the game with opening hand + X mana. I suppose you'd want something very good though.

not really sure what's the best way to exploit a 7 card hand w/ some mana?

any ideas?
    -rob

It looks cool but I'm just curious how you'd get back into the game after resolving the Mirror. Draw 7 and 20 life are a good reset but your opponent will still have their board and that usually tends to be more important.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

yea i think the only two decks where it could be okay is Burn and UR delver.

when burn runs out of gas it usually loses pretty bad. if you had a fresh 7 there's a chance you'll get there. might be okay.

UR delver does the same thing but it at least has some protection and can brainstorm the mirror away if you unluckily draw it.

just to keep it simple:

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Fireblast
    3 Madcap Experiment
    1 Lich’s Mirror
    20 Mountain
    Last edited by mistercakes; 02-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    -rob

Madcap experiment -> hold priority double fireblast is the dream, until you get your experiment countered haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    not sure how good it is, but if you find a way to float mana while resolving it (trying to find lich's mirror), you can start the game with opening hand + X mana. I suppose you'd want something very good though.

not really sure what's the best way to exploit a 7 card hand w/ some mana?

any ideas?
    This also has the extremely embarrassing 'my Charbelcher revealed Bayou' aspect where some % of the time the Madcap flip doesn't actually put you to 0 and you end up passing the turn with Lich's Mirror in play and nothing else to do. (It's just as bad if not worse if you draw it). If paying 4 mana for a draw 7 was an appealing proposition people would be trying harder to make Diminishing Returns work.

It might be fun to try it in burn but I don't know how good that is. I don't think it can work in a control deck because I expect that resetting all of your lands would be backbreaking a lot of the time.
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 02-23-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah I'm thinking a deck that mad caps into early mirror with floating mana would be sick. I mean it's gotta be like a belcher style deck, but no belcher basically. Or play it in belcher to find more belchers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    Madcap experiment -> hold priority double fireblast is the dream, until you get your experiment countered haha.
    Pretty sure I would just fireblast them twice first with mana floating, hoping to bait out a counter... Not everything should be fancy shmancy holding priority.
    -rob

Interestingly enough, having Madcap and Mirror in your deck potentially has you on a constant loop of playing the game and resetting via Mirror if the opponent can't kill you fast enough before getting the Mirror down. Basically Dr Strange and Dormammu.

I agree this doesn't seem half bad in Burn, especially against a Control deck where you likely run them out of countermagic by the time it comes to resolving Madcap or a Mirror. A 5 mana artifact is fairly difficult to interact with as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

If you can self exile a bunch of your cards, yeh you might get to very short loops maybe even infinite.

Sounds janky but maybe there is something good im missing.

Edit: past in flames exiles... :thinking: maybe something like rubystorm... Mirrorstorm!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascalyote View Post
    It looks cool but I'm just curious how you'd get back into the game after resolving the Mirror. Draw 7 and 20 life are a good reset but your opponent will still have their board and that usually tends to be more important.
    Yeah, losing land drops, in particular, is very costly, and the decks that can do without those tend to want mana rocks.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's why i suggested using it in burn. it's one of the only decks that can get away with starting the game over, as one of the worst parts of burn is running out of gas. happy to reset the game if i can start off with mountain + bolt.
    -rob

Thread Information