Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punishing Dack (Punishing RUG)

Too tired to live, too lazy to die...
    Sep 2014
    On top of a mountain somewhere

Punishing Dack (Punishing RUG)

So recently I have seen Jeff Hoogland stream with this list under the name "Temur Bedlam" and it looks pretty powerful. I know this isn't the first list to use Dack Fayden and Punishing Fire for card advantage but it is the first list I've seen to do so successfully. I did some searches and couldn't find another thread for this shell so if it is somewhere else and I am mistaken please correct me.

His most recent list is:

2 Bedlam Reveler
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    2 Dack Fayden
    4 Force of Will
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Island
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Mountain
    1 Abrade
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Wooded Foothills

2 Krosan Grip
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Null Rod
    2 Thing in the Ice
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Dead/Gone
    1 Unsubstantiate

The videos of him using and changing this list can be found here, here and here.

I think that the package of Bedlam Reveler along with 10-12 cantrips seems to be what this deck needs to make it Tier 1-2. What do other people think?
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Re: Punishing Dack (Punishing RUG)

In a slightly more readable form:
    2 Bedlam
    2 TNN
    2 Snap

4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    4 Force
    4 Bolt
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    3 P Fire
    1 Fluster
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Abrade
    1 Echoing Truth

2 Dack
    2 Jace

1 Tropical
    4 Volcanic
    3 Grove
    3 Island
    2 Mountain
    2 Strand
    1 Delta
    4 Tarn
    1 Misty
    1 Foothills
    (22 Land)
    I think that some of these 1-of spells main are possibly too cute (Pyroblast is funny with the Dack Emblem but how often is that going to happen, and yes I'm aware that many people have historically played blast main but I don't think right now is the time for it. Echoing Truth also seems a bit optimistic)

The Unsubstantiate / Dead//Gone split in the SB is pretty weird but I can kind of get behind it.
    Not sure that Krosan Grip is better than Grudge or Abrade. Also a bit confused about the plan around Thing in the Ice seeing as your opponents will already be prepared for your Revelers and TNNs.
    I wonder if a small loam package could be fit in here. You don't have the main payoff with 0 wasteland but it's still good CA with Dack and you can play the 1of Barbarian Ring or whatever.
    It goes well with Intuition too which is also good with Reveler but maybe that is getting a little ambitious.

My main concern with this deck is that a cheap 3/4 with 'discard your hand, draw 3' seems at odds with a deck that
    a) Has 7-8 counterspells, and
    b) Is able to accrue hand advantage over multiple turns with PW activations

It's not like Gerry's Mardu deck where all the spells were proactive so you could just fire off your whole hand of Thoughtseize and Lingering Souls etc and then play a Reveler. I can imagine spots where your hand is like Reveler, Counterspell, FoW or something or you have a 4+ card hand from Brainstorming with Jace, and Reveler is a brick because you don't actually want to play it

I will try to watch some of the videos tonight

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I think that some of these 1-of spells main are possibly too cute (Pyroblast is funny with the Dack Emblem but how often is that going to happen, and yes I'm aware that many people have historically played blast main but I don't think right now is the time for it. Echoing Truth also seems a bit optimistic)

The Unsubstantiate / Dead//Gone split in the SB is pretty weird but I can kind of get behind it.
    Not sure that Krosan Grip is better than Grudge or Abrade. Also a bit confused about the plan around Thing in the Ice seeing as your opponents will already be prepared for your Revelers and TNNs.
    I wonder if a small loam package could be fit in here. You don't have the main payoff with 0 wasteland but it's still good CA with Dack and you can play the 1of Barbarian Ring or whatever.
    It goes well with Intuition too which is also good with Reveler but maybe that is getting a little ambitious.

My main concern with this deck is that a cheap 3/4 with 'discard your hand, draw 3' seems at odds with a deck that
    a) Has 7-8 counterspells, and
    b) Is able to accrue hand advantage over multiple turns with PW activations

It's not like Gerry's Mardu deck where all the spells were proactive so you could just fire off your whole hand of Thoughtseize and Lingering Souls etc and then play a Reveler. I can imagine spots where your hand is like Reveler, Counterspell, FoW or something or you have a 4+ card hand from Brainstorming with Jace, and Reveler is a brick because you don't actually want to play it
    I agree that some of these choices are probably too cute. I think it's important to keep in mind, however, that he's testing this deck to see if it's good enough for a legacy tournament in August so he's experimenting with cards.

If I had to guess his rationalization for the pyroblast main, I think it's for TNN. In game 1 if it resolves this deck's only hope is to outrace it. The Echoing Truth is a nod to Marit Lage decks. It originally was a snap but I think I like the change to Truth since it can also hit challices and other artifact lock pieces as well as take out tokens that flood the board. As far as a catch all, it seems pretty decent. The Thing in the Ice has been kind of usefull as a pseudo board wipe. It is one way of dealing with TNN and can bounce multiple creatures at a time which can relieve pressue on the walkers.

You could be right about the nonbo of having counterspells with reveler but as far as I have seen it hasn't really been an issue on the stream. Usually the reveler is a very good late game top deck. It draws 3, dodges almost all types of removal and the prowess ability can leave the opponent guessing as to whether they should attack into or block it.

I've been thinking about taking this deck to Eternal Weekend this August in Yokohama and so I have been trying to analyze whether it would be a good metagame choice. From what I've seen it's >50% matchups seem to be aggro, swarm and stompy decks. However it does seem to have problems with Sneak and Show, which worries me.
    mise 'miz v alter. of might as well (1997) 1: to win when you don't deserve to 2: to top-deck the "tings" you need 3: to be rewarded by an opponent's bad luck 4: to coin a phrase that spreads through the tournament scene like wildfire 5: to fling a monkey 6: to split firewood using a sharp instrument 7: To burn

Hi
    Ive been brewing this midrange version of Canadian. No dazes, stifles or delvers. Instead recurring removal, selection and card advantage with azcanta and dack and a possible wastelock with loam.
    Deck play exclusuvely shroud threats except for snappy who is a bad idea to waste removal on anyway.

Deck: Legacy RUG Midrange

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:9
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis

Spells:31
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Life from the Loam
    4 Punishing Fire
    2 Search for Azcanta
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Intuition
    4 Force of Will

Lands:20
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Roast
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

I have played it once to a 2-2 finnish. I dont actually own a tabby but if i did i would have it in the board.

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Hi
    Ive been brewing this midrange version of Canadian. No dazes, stifles or delvers. Instead recurring removal, selection and card advantage with azcanta and dack and a possible wastelock with loam.
    Deck play exclusuvely shroud threats except for snappy who is a bad idea to waste removal on anyway.

Deck: Legacy RUG Midrange

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:9
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis

Spells:31
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Ponder
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Life from the Loam
    4 Punishing Fire
    2 Search for Azcanta
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Intuition
    4 Force of Will

Lands:20
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard:15
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Roast
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

I have played it once to a 2-2 finnish. I dont actually own a tabby but if i did i would have it in the board.
    I think one of the strengths of Dack is the ability to loot away spells that you don't need and dig for the one's you do. If you are facing an aggro matchup then you can pitch your counters and look for your removal. If you are facing a combo opponent then you can ditch the removal and search for counters. If you are facing a control deck then you can pitch punishing fire and recur them for CA. I don't think this deck needs more ways to recur cards from the yard. I like the idea of the Loam Lock with wasteland but it might be just a little too slow in a field full of delver decks. Intuition also seems like a cool idea but it might also be just a little too slow. Search for Azcanta also is pretty slow. This list looks like it would have a good Control Mirror matchup but have trouble against Delver, Turbo Depths, Lands and D&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    I think one of the strengths of Dack is the ability to loot away spells that you don't need and dig for the one's you do. If you are facing an aggro matchup then you can pitch your counters and look for your removal. If you are facing a combo opponent then you can ditch the removal and search for counters. If you are facing a control deck then you can pitch punishing fire and recur them for CA. I don't think this deck needs more ways to recur cards from the yard. I like the idea of the Loam Lock with wasteland but it might be just a little too slow in a field full of delver decks. Intuition also seems like a cool idea but it might also be just a little too slow. Search for Azcanta also is pretty slow. This list looks like it would have a good Control Mirror matchup but have trouble against Delver, Turbo Depths, Lands and D&T.
    Having intuition/waste/loam and 4 extra threats with shroud, this version is probably way better against lands despite the fact that it doesn't have unsummon in it. (You're right it's probably worse against Turbo Depths for this reason but you could fix this in the SB if you wanted, especially because you could have the ability to intuition for piles like Snapcaster/Repeal/X, or even Loam/Karakas)

Cutting Jace for Loam probably improves every wasteland matchup (including Delver and Death and Taxes)

I think the Hoogland Reveler version is probably better against say, storm, where Reveler is probably a faster clock than Mongoose and you have extra counters, and maybe vs midrange/strix decks where they can kill your Mongoose without issue. Saying that all of these changes are 'too slow' doesn't make sense to me because at the end of the day it's still a Fire/Dack deck and it's not like Reveler can be an early threat either

This deck is pretty strong against control with pfire azcanta and shroud creatures. That's what its preboardad to beat. But delver is not all that bad: 8 removal maindeck, 4 of which can be snapped back and 4 of which can be recurred. Angler can be a problem (as it can for any non-white, non-black deck) but at least snap+bolt+block is a 1 for 1 answer.

Sep 2014

Having intuition/waste/loam and 4 extra threats with shroud, this version is probably way better against lands despite the fact that it doesn't have unsummon in it. (You're right it's probably worse against Turbo Depths for this reason but you could fix this in the SB if you wanted, especially because you could have the ability to intuition for piles like Snapcaster/Repeal/X, or even Loam/Karakas)

Cutting Jace for Loam probably improves every wasteland matchup (including Delver and Death and Taxes)
    It's definitely possible that this list has a good delver and D&T matchup but I think there may be times when you will get locked out of Loam with wastelands, stifles and ports. One of the things that I liked about Hoolgand's list is the glut of basics that could be looted away once they no longer were necessary. This seemed like a simple solution to the problem of being taxed out of the game.

I think the Hoogland Reveler version is probably better against say, storm, where Reveler is probably a faster clock than Mongoose and you have extra counters, and maybe vs midrange/strix decks where they can kill your Mongoose without issue. Saying that all of these changes are 'too slow' doesn't make sense to me because at the end of the day it's still a Fire/Dack deck and it's not like Reveler can be an early threat either
    Reveler doesn't fill the same role as mongoose, he is a finisher that slams the door shut on your opponent. If you have a full grip you don't want to cast him because you'll pitch a bunch of business spells. It's only when you are running out of answers that you cast him and draw 3. This is why there are only two in the list. Mongoose on the other hand is an aggro/midrange card. It comes down early, swings for a decent amount and is really hard to remove. I like it as a card, but I've also seen it get outclassed by much of the field which is why it doesn't see much play nowadays.

To explain what I mean about speed, Intuition or Loam requires a turn to set up before you can take advantage of what those cards do. If you Intuition for Pfire or loam then you are probably not using any those tutored spells that turn because they need to be recurred or you don't have the mana to cast them. If you are being clocked by a delver or need to remove a Young Pyromancer then you might have already lost. Jace on the other hand is modal and can at least bounce when you are about to die.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    This deck is pretty strong against control with pfire azcanta and shroud creatures. That's what its preboardad to beat. But delver is not all that bad: 8 removal maindeck, 4 of which can be snapped back and 4 of which can be recurred. Angler can be a problem (as it can for any non-white, non-black deck) but at least snap+bolt+block is a 1 for 1 answer.
    I believe you when you say that it's really good against control. I think the whole point of playing PFire Dack type deck is that it has a strong game 1 against the control decks of the field. It's really hard for them to remove your planeswlalkers and you can get a lot of CA. I'd love to see a stream or read a field report with this list to see how it handles the D&T and Devler Matchups.

I really like this list, and will probably try it this wednesday at our local weekly legacy tournament.

What bugs me a bit is the ability to handle True-Name-Nemesis or resolved Gurmag Anglers. With Grixis Delver being a big player in the Format at the moment, I wonder how we can possibly handle such a threat. Tabernacle is not a good answer to both of them, because either one can quickly finish us of.

Also, while trying Mongoose in this deck, it sometimes feels way too slow. Especially with the life from the loam and the punishing fire making your grave smaller from time to time. In the face of deathrite shamans, I don't think you will hit threshold a lot.

For now I will probably go in the direction of

6 CREATURES
    2 Bedlam Reveler
    2 True-Name-Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage

29 SPELLS
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    3 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Abrade
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Crop Rotation

4 PLAINSWALKER
    2 Dack Fayden
    2 Jace the Mind Sculptor

21 LANDS
    2 Tropical Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Last edited by tepesch; 03-01-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

3 Loam and no wasteland? If you want to use it only for CA with dack seems a bit overkill (play at least 3 dack if that's the case)
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    3 Loam and no wasteland? If you want to use it only for CA with dack seems a bit overkill (play at least 3 dack if that's the case)
    Good Point. However, I think there is not a lot of space for Wastelands in this deck, especially when not playing daze, or similar. This would in general free up 3 spaces.

Jeff Hooglands list played Preordain, but I am not sure if they offer sufficient advantage in this type of deck. Maybe we can play Faithless Looting?

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tepesch View Post
    Good Point. However, I think there is not a lot of space for Wastelands in this deck, especially when not playing daze, or similar. This would in general free up 3 spaces.

Jeff Hooglands list played Preordain, but I am not sure if they offer sufficient advantage in this type of deck. Maybe we can play Faithless Looting?
    TNN has always been a concern for this deck, which is why I think running your own TNN is important to get a clock. Thing in the Ice also helps with a resolved TNN by bouncing it and swinging for a large amount. It's very easy to get it to flip with so many instant and sorcery spells. It does however suffer from the problem of dying to Fatal Push.

Faithless Looting is an interesting idea. I think 3 Loams are a little much. I think if I were running them with Wasteland, I would have 2.

Let us know how your games go!

Loam and no waste is a waste of loam :)

So Unfortunately, it didn't go that well during our weekly. My final result was 1-3. Before starting, I playtested against some of our players, and realized that I can't realistically beat Lands and Dark Depths. So I put 2 Blood Moons in the Sideboard, mainly because from our 12 Players we had 2 x Lands and 1 x Dark Depths.

My first game was against a creature Toolbox deck http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...radewind-Rider. The first game dragged along pretty long. He had a Mother of Runes for a long time, until I could find a second Punishing Fire to kill her off in Response to her ability. An early Tabernacle held him off killing me too early. However, he landed a Scavenging Ooze off a Aether Vial after 40 Minutes, and Pumped it to 10/10. I could hold it off for a while with my True-Name, however his Orzhof Pontiff killed it off and he swinged for lethal. There was unfortunately not enough time left in the Second game for me to win.

My second match was against Dark Depths. Game 1 I had no way to interact with it, unfortunately. Game 2 I found Echoing Truths, Jace and Blood Moon quite quickly, however, two well placed Thoughtseize got rid of my answers and placed an unbeatable 20/20 on the board.

My third game was against Lands, long story short, it's pretty hard to beat Thespian's Stage into Dark Depths with this deck .

My thourth game was against Doomsday. The cards advantage generated with the Deck together with the Burn spells killed him off quickly in both games. Game 1 he went to 9 life and made 16 Goblins. 2 Puniching Fire and Bolt - Snappy - Bolt finished off the game rather quickly. Game two he couldn't beat the cards advantage. At some point I was sitting here with a True-Name and 3 Forces, Flusterstorm, Spell Pierce in Hand.

I think the general plan against those decks should be to win as fast as possible. Probably Young Pyromancer wouldn't be a bad addition to the deck, to get more tempo.

9 CREATURES
    2 Bedlam Reveler
    2 True-Name-Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Young Pyromancer

28 SPELLS
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Ponder
    3 Faithless Looting
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Abrade
    1 Echoing Truth

2 PLAINSWALKER
    2 Dack Fayden

21 LANDS
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    2 Mountain
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Barbarian Ring
    1 Tropical Island

SIDEBOARD
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Thing in the Ice
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Fire // Ice
    2 Ancient Grudge
    Last edited by tepesch; 03-01-2018 at 05:25 AM.

Sep 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tepesch View Post
    So Unfortunately...
    Yikes, 3 Dark Depths combo decks. I wouldn't recommend this kind of deck for your meta. This deck has trouble with TNN and big creatures. If you are still determined to try this deck then I would definitely include either wastelands or a 1 of Karakas for the board. Blood Moon is a good thing to have in the SB with so many basics but if you still use your groves, you should run Blood Sun or pithing needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Misersoneof View Post
    Yikes, 3 Dark Depths combo decks. I wouldn't recommend this kind of deck for your meta. This deck has trouble with TNN and big creatures. If you are still determined to try this deck then I would definitely include either wastelands or a 1 of Karakas for the board. Blood Moon is a good thing to have in the SB with so many basics but if you still use your groves, you should run Blood Sun or pithing needle.
    I think Echoing Truth did a good job the whole evening. But with Dark Depths and Lands being Decks to Beat at the moment, and having a combined metagame percentage of 7%, i think it is worth the consideration to have some sideboard cards against them. In both MU's I think Punishing Fire / Grove of the Burnwillows is not that important to win the game. We want to finish fast, and handle their fatties.

We only have 1 Lands and 1 Dark Depths player in our meta, which is usually 12 - 16 players each week, so it was rather unlucky to be paired against both of them. I still think, the deck needs to finish faster from time to time, because especially in the first match, I could take over control of the game, but was unable to finish it fast enough, so my opponent could recover too fast.

Sep 2014

Now, with the ban of Probe and Deathrite, might be a good time to revisit this deck.

I think that the post Probe and Deathrite meta will look like this:

RUG Delver
    Sneak and Show
    Miracles
    Death and Taxes

This deck seems strong against RUG delver (if we can get past the early game), poor to fair against sneak and show, reasonable against Miracles and great against Death and Taxes.

I have been thinking about making some space to add in some Goyfs since he get's big if we loot away a bunch of stuff and we will need a way to stonewall opposing goyfs.

What do other people think?

This thread is somewhat close to something I've been tinkering with lately.

Land 18
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    3 Island

Creatures 13
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    4 Bedlam Reveler
    2 Cryptic Serpent
    1 Keranos, God of Storms

Spells 29
    1 Noxious Revival
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Rite of Flame
    1 Stifle
    3 Daze
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Search for Azcanta
    3 Intuition
    1 Jace the Mind Sculptor
    4 Force of Will

Haven't figured out the sideboard yet but I'm pretty interested in leveraging Intuition packages to tutor for SB cards.

After a little bit of testing, I think I want an Abrade in here. The reason is that Intuition for Jace, Abrade, Snapcaster Mage curves well into an answer for Chalice.

Have you gays noticed HJ_Kaiser Punishing Rug list?
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=29938&iddeck=252401

Thread Information