Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: M.O.S.T. - Merieke, Opposition, (Survival), Tradewind Rider

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: M.O.S.T. - Merieke, Opposition, (Survival), Tradewind Rider

Very interesting, will add to the deck's history. :) Not as old as the Tradewind Rider/Survival standard decks but very nice still.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Ooh, MOst undefeated on the lgl legacy tournament round 3: http://www.twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

How is the deck looking now that Wrenn is banned? I'm psyched to give it another go. How are people dealing with Depths?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    How is the deck looking now that Wrenn is banned? I'm psyched to give it another go. How are people dealing with Depths?
    It is a bit early to say how the meta shapes out, which influences deckbuilding a lot here, but basically back to what it was before W6 made us, some of us, add giver of runes, paradise druid, and cut down on mana dorks.. Maybe paradise druid is still worth it, not sure, hitting pws is nice, and I could see a giver or two in the deck..

Do join the Discord, I think there's a link in the discord thread. Also, what version are you playing?

I was on an old Atraxa build from 2018, no combo or anything too fancy.

I've yet to use discord though this might push me to do so. How do you do against UW blade with b2b?

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    It is a bit early to say how the meta shapes out, which influences deckbuilding a lot here, but basically back to what it was before W6 made us, some of us, add giver of runes, paradise druid, and cut down on mana dorks.. Maybe paradise druid is still worth it, not sure, hitting pws is nice, and I could see a giver or two in the deck..

Do join the Discord, I think there's a link in the discord thread. Also, what version are you playing?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by nimkee View Post
    I was on an old Atraxa build from 2018, no combo or anything too fancy.

I've yet to use discord though this might push me to do so. How do you do against UW blade with b2b?
    Perfect, come join! Alwaysneed more people discussing and sharing ideas.. Anyway here works too..

Uw blade is always tough I feel, but I think decent.. Plague engineer does answer tnn which is nice. I recently met them with an updated build, lost.. I ran 3 prelates and a kambal maindeck.. T3 prelate resolved and.. Lets see, might as well paste the whole tourereport from the discord, was intending to do that.. Ended up winning 2-0 vs stoneblade but was so close to ruining it with a mislay last minute.. Opponent actually commented on not boarding into b2b's and how that was probably a mistake,iirc.

From Oct 30:
    Had a 2-1-1 at the locals today. Lost vs 4c control with w6, oko and jace, he was down at 1 life in the final game and eeked it out after a very slow start. Funny that I worked hard to improve the matchup, or well actually rather the RUG matchup amd uw.. Need to consider this deck now too, heard about it but didn't play against it before, it was played by two players who both 4-0d the event today. Then I won 2-0 vs UW Stoneblade control, really tight and almost drew by a late misplay, getting deputy into play taking his palace jailer which would allow him to stp it and get another jailer trigger and monarch back.. Realized last second and went for my own jailer instead. Drew with DnT in super tight games. He had a lot of revokers turning of mothers and givers, a lot of flickerwisp for card advantage beaters and multiple jailers.
    And also beat 4c w6 cascade (bloodbraids, shardless, coatl, strix, hymn, lily, decays etc)
    3 prelates, kambal, and 5 runes felt good. Not sure about deputies and plaguecrafter
    2 plague engineers were good.
    Jailer was good..

After a year playing other decks I'm back with MOST. This time I want some challange... So I want to try playing without White and add more Red.

This is the first list I'm gonna try. Just missing a few cards. But I really want to hear any ideas of what kind of cards can replace the white.
    Need some disruption like Thalia and Prelate and protection like Mother of runes.

Key cards are Lazav, the Multifarious, Volrath's Shapeshifter, Necrotic Ooze, Dimir Doppelganger. These guys can use most creatures in the graveyard so
    cards countered or destroyed are still usable.

Creature (29)
    1x Baleful Strix
    1x Big Game Hunter
    4x Birds of Paradise
    1x Dimir Doppelganger Keranos and Sheoldred are main targets. Can target opponents graveyard!
    4x Fauna Shaman
    1x Glen Elendra Archmage
    1x Grenzo, Dungeon Warden+ Nissa, Scry a creature to the bottom and use Grenzo to put it in play.
    2x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Keranos, God of Storms
    1x Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
    2x Lazav, the Multifarious
    1x Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1x Lotleth Troll
    1x Magus of the Moon
    1x Necrotic Ooze
    1x Phyrexian Dreadnought
    1x Reclamation Sage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sheoldred, Whispering One
    1x Volrath's Shapeshifter
    1x Dryad Arbor

16 Lands Nothing special except for 1x Volrath's Stronghold

Planeswalker
    2x Nissa, Steward of Elements
    Sorcery
    1x Eldritch Evolution Sometimes good sometimes bad. Think sacrificing Recruiter or Reclamation Sage to find Keranos or Necrotic Ooze.
    2x Green Sun's Zenith
    Instant
    2x Abrupt Decay
    Enchantment
    4x Standstill Not sure how this will play but with Vial, Nissa, Grenzo I don't really need to play any spells.
    Artifact
    4x Aether Vial

Sideboard
    2x Echoing TruthNot sure what to sidebord against Dark Deapth decks but Echoing Truth works and can be used against, Field of the dead otehr tokens.
    1x Elesh Norn, Grand CenobiteThis with Volraths Shapeshifter are an old favorite
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Kolaghan's Command
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Thoughtseize

A fun Combos i would like to try when I get stable list: Necrotic Ooze+Minion of Leshrac+Torchling.
    Destroys land, untap and can protect itself!

I really like crazy combos and interactions so post any ideas you guys think can be cool to tryout!

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

The primer is full, again. Instead of going through it I'll move sections to new messages and provide a link in the primer. Below is the 6-12 months old matchup guide, I'll update it at some point, it's still fairly correct.

Matchups

Below we'll have a look at some common matchups and comment briefly on how you can expect the matchups to play out and what cards you should be looking for and boarding in/out.

Miracles

Comment: Try to pressure them! Aether Vial helps with that, not least pressuring their Jaces. Always expect Terminus!
    Your MVP's: Aether Vial, Gaddock Teeg, Glen Elendra Archmage, Mother of Runes, True-Name Nemesis, Invasive Surgery, Winter Orb, Vendilion Clique

Grixis Control

Comment: They play so much removal and discard that it's hard for you to establish control, then they follow up with planeswalkers that you have trouble coming through for. If you manage to get an active Mother, that's very valuable. Vial tends to be eaten by a Kolaghan's Command so you can't really expect vial tricks. Both Glen Elendra and Shalai can provide some welcome protection, TNN can attack them but usually they have some sweepers that end up taking it along with your other 1 toughness creatures. A late Meren can turn the game around if they can't interact with it. Cataclysm from the board messes with their mana and clears their planeswalkers.
    Your MVP's: Meren of Clan Nel Toth, Glen Elendra Archmage, Shalai, Voice of Many, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Sylvan Library, Cataclysm, Bitterblossom, Mother of Runes

Grixis Delver

Comment: Hopefully you can go Vial into Mother and Scryb Ranger to stabilize the battlefield, then get a Pontiff to sweep their board (if they have Pyromancer and/or TNN), a lifelinker if you have it or just Meren to build up an overwhelming board. Of course Glenn Elendra can stop Lightning Bolts from dealing the last damage and Leovold to stop their cantrips.
    Your MVP's: Mother of Runes, Atraxa, Umezawa's Jitte, Orzhov Pontiff (if they have TNN, probably no Pyromancer), Swords to Plowshares, Abrupt Decay

RUG Delver

Comment: Like for Grixis Delver but your mana base will be exposed, Carpet of Flowers is very valuable here. They usually don't play a lot of removal so you can probably establish board control with Mother, but Bolt+Stifle+Wasteland can make it so you never establish any board in these games. Watch out for Rough // Tumble out of the board as well as Forked Bolt.
    Your MVP's: Mother of Runes, Atraxa, Aether Vial, Scryb Ranger, Umezawa's Jitte, Swords to Plowshares, Abrupt Decay, Carpet of Flowers

Death's Shadow

Comment: Similar to the delver decks above but they tend to be able to produce a faster clock, making your removal like StP and Decay slightly more valuable, I think.
    Your MVP's: Mother of Runes, Merieke ri Berit, Umezawa's Jitte, Abrupt Decay, Swords to Plowshares, Peacekeeper

Eldrazi

Comment: You can easily get run over by them, try to find a lifegainer, removal or Meren to keep building a better boardstate.
    Your MVP's: Atraxa, Umezawa's Jitte, Peacekeeper, Swords to Plowshares, Merieke ri Berit, Meren of Clan Nel Toth, True-Name Nemesis, Glissa, the Traitor

Big Eldrazi

Comment: It's very hard to beat them before they beat you, this is one of the matchups in which a combo element in your deck will be very beneficial. Otherwise try to interact with their lands and hand.
    Your MVP's: Magus of the Moon, Winter Orb, Vendilion Clique, Fulminator Mage, Gaddock Teeg

Death and Taxes

Comment: This is a good matchup, you have reliable artifact removal that you can easily tutor for and even reuse every turn with Meren, you also have tutorable Pontiff to basically clear their board. You also have Scryb Ranger to win any Mother of Rune battle.
    Your MVP's: Orzhov Pontiff, Qasali Pridemage, Knight of the Autumn, Aether Vial, Mother of Runes, Scryb Ranger, Umezawa's Jitte, Abrupt Decay

Storm-based combo (ANT, TES)

Comment: If they don't win by t2 you have pretty good chances of landing a hatebear. When sideboarding you try to bring in interaction for the first two turns and board out all cards that are mostly relevant for the attack step and vs creatures.
    Your MVP's: Gaddock Teeg, Sanctum Prelate, Meddling Mage, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Thoughtseize, Invasive Surgery, Force of Will, Vendilion Clique, Kambal, Consul of Allocation

Show and Tell-based decks

Comment: A combination of hatebears and creatures that let you steal the opponent's creatures give you a pretty good matchups. They don't interact well with Fauna Shaman once resolved (Vial and GSZ make resolving a copy easier, of course), so if they didn't win by turn 3-4 you're in a good spot to build up a board and hand with answers to Show and Tell (Glenn Elendra Archmage, Sanctum Prelate, Gilded Drake) and Omniscience (Qasali Pridemage or Knight of the Autumn). Sneak Attack can be hard to interact with once in play (Gaddock helps), Phyrexian Revoker is great if you have it. Aether Vial lets you respond to what the opponent during their mainphase and once you reach EoT be proactive (Gaddock, Glenn Elendra).
    Your MVP's: Sanctum Prelate, Meddling Mage, Glen Elendra Archmage, Gilded Drake, Peacekeeper, Aether Vial, Fauna Shaman, Invasive Surgery, Thoughtseize, Force of Will, Vendilion Clique, Gaddock Teeg

Punishing Loam

Comment: Punishing Loam can be difficult to interact with, unless you get an active Mother of Runes first. Chalice can slow you down, it is not generally a big problem but coupled with Toxic Deluge, Punishing Fire and recursive mana denial (Loam or KotR + Wasteland) it can keep you from doing anything meaningful. Also an unanswered Dark Confidant can draw them into their best tools.
    Your MVP's: Mother of Runes, Sanctum Prelate Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Scavenging Ooze, Magus of the Moon, Abrupt Decay, Swords to Plowshares

Lands

Comment: This is a tough matchups, sometimes they lock you down with mana denial coupled with a Tabernacle, sometimes Punishing Fire gets all your creatures. Sometimes you deploy a board they can't interact with. Sometimes you get to steal their Marit Lage token and beat them with it.
    Your MVP's: Aether Vial, Sanctum Prelate, Gilded Drake, Mother of Runes, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Scryb Ranger, Winter Orb, Vendilion Clique, True-Name Nemesis

Reanimator (BR, UB)

Comment:
    Your MVP's: Leyline of the Void, Faerie Maccabre, Scavenging Ooze, Gilded Drake, Merieke ri Berit, Invasive Surgery, Thoughtseize, Force of Will

Elves

Comment:
    Your MVP's: Umezawa's Jitte, Orzhov Pontiff, Gaddock Teeg, Leovold, Emissary of Trest, Peacekeeper, Invasive Surgery, Linvala, Keeper of Silence

Goblins

Comment: This can be tough, try to establish board control and watch out for Goblin Sharpshooters (try to keep StP for it) especially when they have a goblin providing haste in play. Also their Goblin Thrashmaster may keep you low on Aether Vials and Jitte.
    Your MVP's: Umezawa's Jitte, Orzhov Pontiff, Izzet Staticaster, Abrupt Decay, Swords to Plowshares, Peacekeeper, Engineered Plague (sb), Linvala, Keeper of Silence (sb)

Infect

Comment: They are faster than you, if you can land an early Peacekeeper that gives you pretty good control of the game. You can try to set up Mother and a flyer for blocking, Pontiff is great and answers the unblockable creature, Leovold stops cantrips. Spot removal help immensely and if you survive a couple of turns getting counters on a Jitte likely wins the game. Glen Elendra can also protect you from pump spells if you live that long. Board into fast interaction.
    Your MVP's: Peacekeeper, Umezawa's Jitte, Orzhov Pontiff, Swords to Plowshares, Abrupt Decay, Thoughtseize

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I've updated the primer a bit, creating an alternative core version with Soulherder as well as adding a couple of relevant printings from the past 12 months: Once upon a Time, Plague Engineer, Oko, Uro, Kroxa, Collector Ouphe. Edit: and Heliod, Lavinia, Klothys

Due to the Corona-virus outbreak I've bought the deck online, making it a budget version (about 140-150 tix). Which can actually drive innovation, when there are so many options for deck-building it can be good to be forced to pick a new path sometimes. Online, Wooded Foothills are the cheapest fetches after Windswept Heath and so this encouraged me to consider a more red version. Which is not a new thing, I've done it before. But also, the addition of Soulherder made me consider a WURG version, rather than UBRG which me and others have run recently, and WURG seems pretty ok. I went from a more heavy red splash in the fair version using Pia and Kiran Nalaar or Huntmaster of the Fells which are both excellent with Soulherder - to a ligher red splash with a combo finish. There are a few black cards too. After playing the deck for a couple of nights in the playtesting room of MTGO I decided to try adding Shapeshifter to get a bit less consistency but a bit more power. Volrath's Shapeshifter with Elesh Norn or Sheoldred, Whispering One both promise to end a game quickly. I added a little section for VS to the primer, it deserves to be expanded on so if someone wants to write a section on that, feel very welcome to do so! I added Full English Breakfast to the inspirational deck lists section of the primer, btw. That deck has a devoted following and works well in a MOST shell, I haven't checked the thread yet and I was on a MtG-hiatus during that period so I'm not very familiar with it.

Esper Vial has been a very succesful deck online, played by mostly one player (JTL005) and it's very similar to MOST. It's basically cutting the green tutor base and green creatures for FoW, Wasteland and StP, similar to some old-style MOST-versions iirc (typically players use either fows or stps for interaction because playing both and in addition brainstorm doesn't leave much room for the creatures and tutors, but this approach seems to merit further testing). Also due to this it's running Recruiter over Fauna Shaman, similar in this aspect to the direction I've taken my list for the past 6-12 months. I started by trying a single Recruiter iirc but when I saw Cermaks' lists that were a bit closer to DnT I also started increasing the amount of Recruiters. Recruiter doesn't synergize as well with Meren but it worked playing both at the same time, the Recruiter tutorable creatures and GSZ with Meren and Fauna Shaman that act as two parallell and largely overlapping sets of toolbox-creatures. However, Soulherder is a similar value engine to Meren but works better with Recruiter, doesn't use the graveyard, costs less, isn't a legend, grows into a game-ending threat, generates value more easily because you don't depend on Vial to get the value immediately, etc etc. Both cards can be played in the deck at the same time but Soulherder is very strong and works well in multiples. Soulherder makes you focus on etb effects as opposed to tapping effects that were more common with Fauna Shaman, which itself is a tap effect. So. To put it short, Soulherder offers a lot of value and utility and I think every version should try at least a copy, replacing at least one Fauna Shaman with a Recruiter (Imperial or -of the Guard).

Similarly Once upon a Time has offered much more consistent opening hands, helping us find the first two lands, finding fetch lands for the splash colors and finding a turn one play in mana dorks or mother. It competes with GSZ for space though. Anyway, you can check the updated core section of the primer if you want to where I suggest an updated core version.

Also, if anyone is interested in watching me stream the deck and discuss plays and card choices then you can join me: http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_
    A warning though, it's just the MTGO practice room, I'm very bad at playing and talking so I do things like attacking into a Mishra's Factory but it's quite fun anyway. The two streams up are vs Reanimator, a fairly new player, and Eldrazi where I couldn't answer t1 Chalice in 2 games. Eldrazi can be tough, certainly. If anyone has a good suggestion for how to watch stream chat while streaming MTGO, let me know. As far as I understand you basically have to use a second monitor or cell phone.

Upd: I just managed to log in to my old account so I'll try to use this account in the future: http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan
    Last edited by pettdan; 03-24-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Here's the list I'm testing right now (on a budget). Considering cutting black or red again. It hurts when you draw both splash color lands and no other, naturally, though it doesn't happen that often.. Also considering adding a fourth ouat because it helps avoid such situations. Or another brainstorm. Considering cutting loyal retainers since it just never was useful yet.

Black would be easy to cut here, I like the shriekmaw in the sb but meren could be another soulherder or something to support the shapeshifters, Merieke could be some red threat for example. I consider adding another magus, seems like a good way to fight uro and bug. I also wonder if there's something I can play to have a better chance vs oko.. Like adding a giver of runes, revoker which I don't like a lot or some haste threat.. Maybe it's time for shaman of the great hunt.

https://imgur.com/a/6dksvyb

I recorded a game yesterday. Still figuring out details but I think g3 could be nice to watch to see what shapeshifter can do. https://www.twitch.tv/pettdan

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I recorded a little last night, chatting with Vickas about plays. We learned that next time we need to discuss less when playing games since it took a long time to do a single play.

Discussing the last cards I've added in my test list on Mtgo (budget list): http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan/v/577011900

First game, we get stuck discussing our plays when we don't know what opponent is playing. A bit frustrating to watch perhaps.
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan/v/577025979

Playing vs a combo deck:
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan/v/577037847

Thread Information