Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: M.O.S.T. - Merieke, Opposition, (Survival), Tradewind Rider

Re: M.O.S.T. - Merieke, Opposition, (Survival), Tradewind Rider

Great, makes it more Clean for me, thank you Dan for e celest expansion. Tools Will be enough just so I could get the basis ontro. So dansleatswin afasins them. My plan was 2 winter orb and 2 chook.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Great Vickas, there's so much potential for experiments..

Cermak: regarding your question on beating Miracles, it's a matchup where you need to plan for meeting their answers, I think. It's quite an effort writing about it, but I need to be brief here unfortunately. Vials are great because they don't get to counter your spells and by putting creatures into play at EOT you can pressure them and importantly Jace, they won't be able to plan for how to respond to your threats and they can't interact at sorcery speed. Unfortunately Engineered Explosives seems popular now so they have a great md answer, it may be a good idea to save your secon Vial in hand..

Vialling in Gaddock or Sanctum Prelate lets you stop their Miracles trigger from Terminus. Using a Mother to protect these guys is great. Ooze can exile stp when they try to Snapcaster it. Using Fauna Shaman at instant speed with vial @ 4 to get Glenn Elendra is a very very good play [and once Glenn hits the graveyard after the second countered spell, you can get Meren, bring back GE and that ought to be lights out..]. Leovold can stop Jace, hopefully you get to vial him in in response to Brainstorm or a Jace activation. When you get the chance and think they may be out of answers, get Saskia or whatever attacker you play to threaten their lifetotal. I guess you need to try to threaten attacks every turn, Vial helps with that.

Some games will be all about finding an answer to their Counterbalance, hopefully Vial helps with that (with it in play you ignore CB, still try to get a Qasali into play). Actually Qasali is pretty good at pressuring them and if they have a cb in play you get to hit them for three until they try to answer it, then you blow up their cb with card advantage. Azcanta needs to be destroyed at first sight, probably..

I like hard counterspells from the sideboard.

I'll add when I think of more things.

@Everyone: not sure if I ever commented on that but I've felt like trying Fulminator Mage for a while. It's nice to be able to interact with lands not least Tabernacle but also Stage or Depths, Grove of the B. With Meren it's a real threat, destroying one nonbasic every turn. I always liked that kind of inevitability. I think the Fulminator Mage is not really aligned with what the deck is normally trying to do but it would feel really good to be able to interact with basically anything. I'm a control player at heart, clearly.

Hi most pros, i have a idé back in the days the most powerfull Cards was living death, any one tested it in most? Exept manacost exetremly Suprise for many decks.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

It's a very interesting idea, Cermak! You always have to ask yourself, when evaluating cards, is it worth adding a non-creature spell to the deck? The effect is powerful, so maybe. For it to be good though, you probably need to be able to keep your opponent's graveyard empty. Or if your opponent is pressuring you hard with creatures, their graveyard may be empty, but in this situation it can typically be hard to get to 5 mana. If you want to bring back creatures from your graveyard, you can use Meren. Which you can find with GSZ or Fauna Shaman, and play with Vial. So, you can try it, I'm guessing it will be too inconsistent. But definitely powerful.

I can see it being excellent vs Grixis Control. They destroy everything and probably board out FoW's, so you have a fair chance of resolving it. But if you have traded some creatures with them they may get back Strixes and Snapcasters, which may not be ideal. Vs Miracles, your creatures typically don't end up in the graveyard and they tend to not have many relevant creatures so it's probably useless there. Vs Delver decks, 5 mana can perhaps be hard to get to, especially if playing around Daze.

Quote Originally Posted by Cermak View Post
    Hi most pros, i have a idé back in the days the most powerfull Cards was living death, any one tested it in most? Exept manacost exetremly Suprise for many decks.
    Return to the ranks is probably better and could be a Solid sb card

Another league on MTGO, another 4-1 ruined by my mistakes, same list

T1: S&T 2-1
    OTP keep with Mom, gaddock, vendillion and recruiter. Gaddock get fow'd but i took it back with rallier t3. He plays cunning wish for Kozilek, i protect myself with vendillion, gg
    g2 pierced (?) a t2 zenith that's basically timewalk, show for omni i put prelate setted at 3, he plays emrakul gg
    G3 Strange game, i have many mana but few threats, sadly he has fowed my t1 vial. Anyway EOT on turn 3 i play vendillion after his brainstorm, see 2 show and a cunning i take nothing but then draw a duress, shit, remove cunning. Made my leovold, he play show for omni but nothing else, he finds another cunning for Firemind for... nothing that can save him at 3 life. Play kozilek, leovold kills him next turn

t2: D&T 1-0 Loss for time
    g1 take way too much time, sadly for my mistakes and tiredness, classic situation with ton of creatures on board and an unkillable peacekeeper. I won too late, on g2 i make two small mistakes and i can't win for like 10 seconds. My bad, my fault

T3: UBg Shadow 0-2
    He wins the coinflip, delver, push seize, reanimate on my leovold push seize, easy gg
    g2: Keep and hand with Rallier, Qasali, Leovold, forest, tropical, zenith Fauna OTP What would you do? Keep->Zenith->Arbor for a t2 fauna away from daze.
    Obviusly i'll draw only 2 mothers and the other 2 tropical, he start again with delver then push my fauna and wastelands me 3 times on my 3 tropicals, the turn after i draw a BS -> scoop and see the next 3 cards: Mother fetch Quirion
    ARGH, usually it's a good MU

t4 Dredge 2-1
    Almost won the g1. G2 i have Christmas hand with 3 Macabre land bop scryb fauna, easy gg
    G3 He plays 2 silent gravestone, i build my board to have an unkillable peacekeeper, gg

t5 D&T 2-0
    Strong manabase (2 land bop quirion) + Mother + Fauna -> Leovold and stuff, gg
    g2: More interesting, he has a Revoker (on mom) with Jitte and a Batterskull, i have bop mom fauna Leovold. He choose to not attack with Revoker, i play a Jailer on it next turn and easily gg

Very angry about the game lost for time against D&T, could be another solid 4-1 but the deck keeps feeling really good

I remember this deck played by Mengucci in one of his veedios about a year ago, felt like some weird take on nice fit decks, I was mostly intrigued by seeing antraxa. The performance was mixed, some people saying M.O.S.T. weird deck ever seen. It definitely has that oldschool vibe to it as it uses many pre modern era cards and some modern legal ones are replacing banned originals. But how does the deck perform vs fast combo as it takes quite a time to set up?
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc
    but most importantly she 1cc

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by drekonja View Post
    I remember this deck played by Mengucci in one of his veedios about a year ago, felt like some weird take on nice fit decks, I was mostly intrigued by seeing antraxa. The performance was mixed, some people saying M.O.S.T. weird deck ever seen. It definitely has that oldschool vibe to it as it uses many pre modern era cards and some modern legal ones are replacing banned originals. But how does the deck perform vs fast combo as it takes quite a time to set up?
    Hi Drekonja, indeed Mengucci did play a version of MOST. I'd say it was an older style version and not like the one I've been playing for the past couple of years, but the deck can be build in many different ways so that's fine. You'll find a link in the primer. [edit: I didn't even realize, thank you so much for coming here and offering the tip!!] Regarding your question, I suggest you check back on the tournament reports that have been posted and check the comments there. Fast combo usually means sometimes t2 and more often t3 or later, which gives you plenty of time to land a hatebear and we play a multitude of them. There's also Leyline of the Void, Surgical and Faerie Maccabre for t0-t1 interaction with reanimator style decks, and you can play FoW maindeck or in the sb.

@Memories: Always nice to read a report! Good to see you're back on positive results. The aggressive decks can be a struggle, I've been sideboarding a Carpet of Flowers for a while, it's possible there should be a second.. I imagine the card helps vs the Stifle+Delver type of decks.
    Last edited by pettdan; 08-21-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Jun 2010
    Germany

In case you missed it, someone played 5 Color Birthing Pod at Eternal Weekend Japan.
    Unfortunately, there's no decklist to be found. It's kind of similar to MOST.
    From watching the youtube video (Round 2 Legacy Event Eternal Weekend Japan), it must be something like this:

3-4 Birthing Pod
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    1 Reanimate
    2-4 Swords to Plowshares
    1-X Counterspell

4 Baleful Strix
    4 Birds of Paradise
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Scrapheap Scrounger
    1 Thragtusk
    1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
    1 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Spellseeker

2 Tundra
    2 Savannah
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Bayou
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    X other (Polluted Delta, Verdant Catacombs, Island or Forest probably)

couldn't really see anything else. Probably more 3s or Voice of Resurgence for Pod, Reclamation Sage and targets for Spellseeker, f.e. Surgical Extraction, Abrupt Decay.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks for sharing it, Alexeeezay! I think it can be used for some inspiration. Like Spelseeker as a one of to find Reanimate, Counterspell, Decay, StP etc. That could be worthwile.. Also will watch that game, I try to build pod too sometimes.

Another 4-1 on MTGO, could have been a 5-0 but i missclicked Same list

T1 Miracle 2-0
    Land gsz for dryad, land fauna, he topdecks a terminus without cantrip, at some point he has 2 mentor and N token, i play and protect a Peacekeeper, then atraxa+saskia -> sac keeper and gg
    G2 Hand with only one land and 2 vial, enough to beat it. Saskia closes again the game

t2 UBx Shadow 2-0
    Don't remember anything special, as i said for me it's usually a good MU for us. G1 Closed by peacekeeper + Saskia again

t3 Miracle 1-2
    I've almost won after 3 terminus but he also plays Supreme Verdict, so gg
    G2 Got an Elspeth fowwed at t4, play vial and Fauna, he plays Jace. But Fauna+Vial is way better =) Again, closed by Saskia
    g3 I've managed to have a good board (mom+gaddock+bop+scryb), but i missclicked between 2 and 6 (pass untill end of turn), my oppo catches the opportunity and stp my mom+snap stp on gaddock and gg. My bad

t4 Bug Control 2-1
    Another easy mu imho. g1 won by Peacekeeper, g2 lost due to his Hymn+Leovold -> i obviously draw 2 bs and 2 lands and gg, g3 won by Pontiff on Strix+TNn and some beaters + Saskia

t5 Dredge 2-0

g1 Peacekeeper t3, gg
    g2 Peacekeeper + faerie macabre when he tries to reanimate Ashen Rider, gg

Cards that are Overperforming: Saskia, Peacekeeper, Atraxa. I invite all of you to try Saskia, even without a Taiga as me =)

any videos of this deck (besides gucci's year old one)?
    mom protecc
    and she also attacc
    but most importantly she 1cc

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Drekonja, you'll find it in the primer. Nice report, Memories! Maybe time to try Saskia then. I got her at the release but never wanted a "plain" beater. Perhaps it's worth it after all, it can generate absurd damage I imagine..

I haven't sat down and done a thorough search of Gatherer yet, but I need to do that tomorrow or something and come up with a list of cards that aren't in the primer. I was casually strolling through Wizards in search of something to suggest in the Modern Wizards thread and came across Archivist. 2UU for a 1/1 is a bit steep, but it's a Phyrexian Arena at worst, can get protected by MoM, and draws insane amounts of cards with a Scryb Ranger out. I imagine d3 a turn will settle games very quickly in our favor. I've also had some fun testing Mangara in Modern, and imagine it would be good in Legacy as well. Even something as silly as Pride Sovereign needs consideration when our engine is based around abusing our rangers, be they elves or faeries.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

You're most welcome to do that Kanti! I try to list only cards I believe can be useful. Pride Sovereign and Mangara are both in the primer, I've played Mangara wigh KotR and Karakas and it's good. For Archivist I actually have one in my MOST binder (next to Temporal Adept) but I think the mana cost in combination with how vulnerable it is makes it a poor card in the matchups where you need it,so that's why I didn't list it. If you argue its value or test it with good results I can add it. Edit: oops, you did, will add it then.

Edit: actually, I think Edric, Spymaster of Trest is just better. It can be GSZ-ed for, which is huge, it's a 2/2 for less mana, it usually draws you cards when it comes down and it can draw you many cards per turn. I also like Shaman of the Great Hunt much better for drawing cards (in addition to two other very relevant features in the same card) though being red is too much of a hindrance.
    Last edited by pettdan; 08-28-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I went 2-2 in the local weekly event yesterday. Not a terrific day, felt like above average mulligans and lost die rolls [edit: but I'm probably wrong]. Won against MOST 2-0 I think (yes, the mirror match, I got Jitte advantage in g1 and Cermak had some bad topdecks after a Pontiff in g2) and 2-0 vs BUG Threshold (he didn't draw removal or sweepers so it felt a bit too lucky). Then lost vs Punishing Loam, he opened with t1 Mox Diamond and Punishing Fire on my BoP then proceeded to destroy everything I played. In G2 I get a Sword of Light and Shadow into play and it looks like I may start turning the game around by bringing back creatures, opponent goes Scavenging Ooze and then has the better board and graveyard presence and I can't find an answer or a better threat. Also lost vs Elves, a hardcast Craterhoof in g1 and a Natural Order for Craterhoof in g2 for which I had a counter but he had a Archon of Valor's Reach on instants which I could have cleared with my active Jitte but I went for the small key creatures instead which may have been a mistake, not sure, he had a Pendelhaven which meant I was using too many counters.

What I did do though that was new and interesting, except for a few changes to the maindeck and sideboard, was to arrange 5-6 paper cups to hold my cellphone and stream the event. It is very low quality, it is my first attempt at streaming, I misplay a bit more than usual because the camera and interacting with it is taking some of my attention, I'm bad at dividing my attention like that. The camera won't show the whole playing area, we repeatedly fail to show our cards to the camera. So there is a lot to improve. I'd like to figure out how to build a simple arm for placing the camera/cellphone over the playing field but that'll take some time to figure out. You'll find recorded games on my twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_. I think the last games are better to watch, Cermak suggested to put another box under the camera to bring it up and that helped with the view. I'll get better streams later!

R1 vs Elves:
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_/v/303342388?sr=a&t=2163s
    The camera was too close when recording this, thus you can't see our hands or cards drawn even when we try to show them. I make many mistakes, forgetting e.g. Pendelhaven repeatedly which ends up costing me a game..

R2: the MOST mirror
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_/v/303365909?sr=a&t=2046s

R3: Punishing Loam
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_/v/303365909?sr=a&t=2046s
    Never have much chance here. The opponent is fairly new to Legacy.

R4: BUG Threshold
    http://www.twitch.tv/pettdan_/v/303407280?sr=a&t=6s
    Mistakes include paying 4 for a Sword of L&S then having it pierced with 1 mana up, paying wbuu for Atraxa (with forest available) and removing 3 counters from Jitte when using it 4 times. Well it can only get better from here..

Next time I'll be able to replace the self built paper-cup-camera-holder with a proper device. I'll try to play better too. :)
    Last edited by pettdan; 08-31-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I played in the Stockholm legacy league finals today, which is a top 16 event for the best placing players in last spring's tournaments. I decided late the night before to go for MOST, because it's fun and always interesting, and if you have a good idea about which decks you are going to meet you can gear it towards that. Also I usually try to take a fun deck and it would be glorious to win with MOST. I'd been speculating with two other players on what decks people would play and we were reasonably accurate in our guesses. Most players seem to have 2 or more competitive decks to choose from. I was expecting lots of UW kontrol (Teferi, Stoneblade, Miracles, Helm+RiP), Grixis Control, Lands (none appeared) some Storm (none appeared I think) and Omnishow and DnT and an always present Goblins player (leading the league actually, Deathrite was never much of a problem for this guy). I had considered playing UW or WB Bomberman, or a new The Rock list I built.. But went for MOST.

Hmm.. This is not supposed to be a long report, I'll try to speed it up from here (not optimized for entertainment, sorry). :) Still, the few observations on how I tweaked the deck and crucial plays/misplays that I want to present require a few sentences each. Also, I do enjoy re-reading my old reports to enjoy the memory of the games again. That's a great testament to this game, I think..

So, I decided that Sanctum Prelate would be a great card to answer Show and Tell and Cunning Wish from Omnishow/Omnisneak, Loam and PFire from lands (and maybe one Punishing Loam, but he went for DnT instead), Tendrils and Empty from Storm, as well as most removal and cantrips from any control deck [edit: and aggro deck]. It seemed very solid as well as flexible, I didn't even have too many 1 drops in my own list that would punish me. Few cards are good vs both combo, control and aggro decks. Edit: It's only bad vs DnT and Eldrazi; I didn't expect any Eldrazi and I expect the DnT matchup to be great anyway.

And I decided to play 2 Cataclysm in the sideboard, because they sweep all the lands and planeswalkers from the control or midrange decks, they cause trouble by resetting lands from combo decks and my list will work well off 1 Meren in play or 1 Fauna in play (which finds Meren shortly after the Cataclysm), 1 Vial in play, 1 Sylvan or Carpet of Flowers too, and Scryb Ranger can even return loads of lands to your hand before casting the Cataclysm, you basically only need 1 land in play to cast it anyway so that seems absurdly great. I got the idea by watching Bahra's stream where he played Cataclysm with Hallowed Spiritkeeper, another card I've waited a long time to try. Sure, DnT plays Cataclysm too but Bahra's Spicy Popcorn style of deck seems more similar to MOST (value from creatures rather than stax type of hatebears).

Also I played 2 Sylvan Library over Brainstorm no. 3 and 4 to grind better.

And then for some brief comments about the games. I made like 2 bad plays that cost me 2 games. I'll explain what I blame that on further down...

R1: Helm + RiP Miracles (Helm of Obedience + Rest in Peace + Energy Field)
    G1: Things start out really ok for me, t1 Mother lives to the next untap phase, I get a Noble Hierarch into play and then GSZ with X=3 getting... Thinking to get Gaddock first, but then I consider that the opponent will then be able to cantrip into an answer, there will be multiple turns and millions of cantrips, and that getting Leovold is probably better because it will shut down jace, removal is already shutdown by Mother + Leo and it would shut off all cantripping too. Just dead to Terminus which he will basically need to topdeck. Anyway, I get Leovold, he untaps and plays Humility and I attack him down to 4 life but he then assembles the combo. Perhaps I should have expected him to have Humility, next time I'll go for Gaddock.
    G2: Win with Vial, Carpet, Prelate, Teeg and Glenn Elendra. Seems like I locked the opponent out properly.
    G3: Opponent locks game down and plays a big Elspeth (Elspeth, Sun's Champion), I stall as good as I can hoping to find a Cataclysm which I do, so the game is basically reset with me on 4 life and he on 9. Anyway, he gets to keep a token, I had no creatures because I had to use them all to chump his tokens. He still has Humility in play I think, and I probably have land, Vial and Carpet.. but the token beats me down, I guess I failed to draw a creature over 4 turns.
    Loss 1-2

R2: BUG Threshold
    G1: I use Scavenging Ooze to race 2 Delvers and a Mongoose. Great card.
    G2: I get beaten down.
    G3: I get an active Mother I think t1 but face double Wasteland and a Stifle. I'm lucky to find lands, GSZ for Dryad and the two Brainstorms to find more lands, get Fauna Shaman then an Ooze which I think wins the game.
    Win 2-1

R3: UW Stoneblade
    G1: We play a mentally draining but also very fun g1 where I play out half of my deck while trying to keep opponent's Jace and Nahiri, the Lithomancer from ultimating while also keeping his Jitte from getting counters. Nahiri can get the Jitte back from his graveyard at any point but I have a Meren and get Qasali back every turn or so. I slowly manage to build up some advantage although it requires using my resources at 100% every turn [edit: I'm a bit low on mana]: fully tapped out, max Scryb Ranger and Vial activations etc. Once I have enough advantage to use Fauna Shaman to do something creative I consider getting Prelate and playing it naming 4 to stop a potential Supreme Verdict which I expect the opponent to play maybe one maindeck copy of... Since that is the only card that seems like it can affect the outcome of the game. But I decide that he's not likely to draw it soon, I have Leovold so his cantrips are dead too. So I decide to try to use the advantage to establish a stronger board position first and finally get rid of the troublesome planeswalkers. Of course he plays supreme verdict 1-2 turns later. I rebuild quickly with 2 Vials, a Jitte and a Sword of L&S - the latter brings back Meren during my next attack, I vial Meren in and start gaining creatures back starting with Glenn Elendra. So I get to start hammering down planeswalkers while getting 2 creatures back every turn (Meren + Sword). I pull planeswalkers back down to close to being dead, he finds Snapcaster Mage to Supreme Verdict again and I have to start replaying everything again.. Time is called 1-2 turns later, I get an attack in for exactsies during t4, ignoring his planeswalkers - this required GSZ for the second Scryb Ranger to use 2 Mother activations and a Mother attack to make my entire team unblockable and deal the last 9 damage. He Swords his Batterskull token to survive the turn, ultimates Nahiri getting the double strike equipment and luckily I can use Scryb Ranger to untap Mother and block the 10/10 double strike, vigilance lifelinker (Batterskull equiped too). Oh well, much fun was had.
    Draw 0-0 (!) Edit: I would likely have won on my turn 6.

Edit: Highlight of the game: judge taking a photo of the board state. ;)
    So, at this point I'm at 1-1-1 but with better maneuvering of the games I think I could have been 3-0 (opponent from g1 agreed to this at least).

R4: BUG Control (Team New Zeeland!?)
    G1: I get Atraxa into play, maybe some equipment on it, and win the race vs 2 TNN's.
    G2: This game, and the next, was caught on stream (not much fun I'm afraid): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/304888317?t=4h06m30s
    I draw zero lands and mull to 5, get Toxic Deluged and then I think 2 Hymns. I vaguely recall thinking that a Vial might have given me a chance. So sad to have one of these games on camera.
    G3: This game is just full of mistakes, we were both a bit nervous about the coverage so it's good to get used to that, also I'd like to blame the <4 hours of sleep I got and very little MOST practice during the last months (I can't think of a more complicated deck to play actually, but maybe I overvalue it). Anyway, there's very little online coverage here so I'll post the link anyway.

I keep a very tough starting hand with 1 Forest, 1 Carpet of Flowers, 2 Thoughtseize and I think a Mother of Runes and a Keranos. Having mulliganed a lot the previous game makes me reluctant to make new mulligans, also that Carpet can be a reliable source of mana that few cards in the opponent's deck will answer and the Thoughtseizes can both protect the Carpet and my board. Maybe Mother getting active too. Still, I'm hoping to rip a few good cards of the top in this game and... probably should have mulliganed it. Anyway, the Carpet resolves and the t2 Thoughtseize reveals a Brainstorm, a Hymn, Toxic Deluge, Liliana otlh, Maelstrom Pulse and Jace. That's a horrible hand to meet, I conclude that the only way I'm beating that hand is if he doesn't reach three mana at once and I find some cards that can interact with his. So I discard his Brainstorm, hoping to keep him off the third land for a few turns while also making the second Thoughtseize in my hand relevant. It's possible I would have been able to win the game if I got Hymn instead, I might have reached 5 mana maybe 2 turns later and could have hardcasted the Keranos that he now Hymned away on his t2. Anyway, I get a Mother into play and topdeck a Sanctum Prelate that locks down my opponent's dangerous three-drops, he gets his fourth land just before Mother gets active but chooses to fate-seal. Then I attack the opponent's Jace with the Mother in a bad move which I realize a second or two after tapping it. I'll blame that on not sleeping much. Anyway, I get a reasonable board state but the opponent's Jace + Liliana can deal with the board and enable the Toxic Deluge in his hand. No good way out of this. An Engineered Explosives on 1 sweeps all my chances of rebuilding after a potential Deluge, getting 2 Vials and a Carpet. Btw, I thought explosives on 1 was probably better than 3 which the chat and commentators wanted. Oh well, that deck is usually a very tough matchup for me and I had a pretty bad starting hand, and having played it differently I might have gotten Keranos into play and from there who knows.
    Loss 1-2

I drop after this.. Anyway, I liked the maindecked Sanctum Prelates and sideboard Cataclysms, I think Cataclysm can be a real gamewinner in many matchups and I may spend some time figuring out which cards work better with it. Like Meren, Sword of Light and Shadow, Glenn Elendra Archmage (and other persist creatures), Hallowed Spiritkeeper etc.

Some topics for discussion: I really like Sanctum Prelate in the current meta, Cataclysm, Carpet of Flowers, I would like to add 2 Bitterblossoms too I think since they are as great as ever and play well with Cataclysm. I like Sword of Light and Shadow a lot now too, not least for having a backup when Meren is lost but also for card advantage, protection, grinding, lifegain, StP-protection, Strix-protection, Liliana-protection, DnT-killer... It seems fantastic. I think we could use Academy Rector too, next I'll consider Arena Rector.
    Last edited by pettdan; 09-04-2018 at 03:55 AM.

Phantasmal Image is a card I've been thinking about more and more here. Not only can it copy opposing Baleful Strix, Griselbrand, Emrakul, Marit Lage, Stoneforge Mystic, and more but if you resolve a Glen Elendra Archmage and untap you can probably resolve a Phantasmal Image copying it the following turn and basically hard-lock your opponent.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I think Phantasmal Image is an interesting card to consider but I've myself decided against it, as of yet.

If it could copy Marit Lage in a meaningful way, it would have been enough to motivate it. However, it cannot, because if the opponent has access to Punishing Fire or Maze of Ith, for example, they will get rid of your indestructible flying 20/20.

Similarly, copying Glen Elendra is great, but you need to have Glen Elendra in play first, and if you do that's what's providing the actual value. The first Glen Elendra is much much better than the second one. Plus, you can easily resurrect your Glen Elendra by getting Meren next, so Phantasmal Image isn't really providing you much extra options or value. Edit: or maybe this extra value actually is a great advantage, it just seemed to me as not.

Copying Stoneforge Mystic is a good use of P.I., especially if you play only a single Jitte and no Stoneforge, because this will let you in effect play a Stoneforge if the opponent does, and not play it if the opponent doesn't. Usually Jitte is pretty good vs decks playing Stoneforge. But not always.

A fourth use for P.I. that I've considered is copying True-Name Nemesis. Since the opponent can't target it, it will in effect be a second TNN. However, you can't untap it. And having one TNN in play will probably be enough. Edit: or maybe this is a second example of an effect that is better than I anticipate.

I think cards like Clever Impersonator are potentially better. It can copy Marit Lage (edit: and not be quite that easily removed), which is huge. It can also copy Jace or Liliana, the Last Hope. I haven't spent that much time considering its usefulness, but I think I would prefer it over Phantasmal Image. Do try P.I. if you feel like it though!

On another topic, a guy recently wanted to buy a foil Fauna Shaman and I found out that he's playing Vickas's list with Volrath's Shapeshifter with some success and much enjoyment. I hope we'll get some input here eventually..
    Last edited by pettdan; 09-11-2018 at 09:03 AM.

That's a great card for us too, i think. Resolve many problems left by AD, first in mind Jace, Tabernacle and Eldrazi. Must have for me, probably 3x

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I agree that it's great to have maindeck answers for those cards. But actually, many other decks will also play these answers, which may reduce the popularity of those threats. I guess we can expect slightly more BUG decks, hard to say if 5% more or 300%, but probably BUG control or midrange gets better and with it there could be an increase in sweepers (a challenge for us). And more md answers to Vial.. I'm thinking Prelate gets better. We'll see.. Really hard to speculate.

Thread Information