Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masters 25

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: Masters 25

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Planeswalkers being overpowered in Limited was probably a factor.

EDIT: I just noticed that Relentless Rats has been downshifted to Common. I wonder how good it might be in Limited as a result of that.
    More interested in Pauper.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

More interested in Pauper.
    Oh, wow. I never even thought about Pauper. This could be a big gamechanger for Monoblack Devotion or even create its own archetype.

"You thought that this reprint set of iconic cards would be a good time to reprint Crucible of Worlds, the only good card to come out of the GDS and is extremely expensive? Well, here is a Coalition Relic for your cube instead." - Wizards, probably

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Engineered explosives is pretty good. Lantern just won. Also, Relentless Rats....
    -rob

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Engineered explosives is pretty good. Lantern just won. Also, Relentless Rats....
    Cranial Plating, Magma Jet, Night's Whisper, Serum Visions, Staff of Domination and Trinket Mage are also from FD5. There are quite a few cards they could have included.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

A silver set symbol on Lightning Bolt is hate speech.
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

What exactly does Coalition Relic have to do with Fifth Dawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    People like making guesses as to what cards will be included based on the spoiled cards number in the set. In this case, Chalice of the Void (#222) and Ensnaring Bridge (#224) had already been spoiled, so there must be some sort of artifact that fits alphabetically between the two. People were clearly hoping that card was Crucible of Words to be Fifth Dawn's representation in the set, and are disappointed they got Coalition Relic (since now it's guaranteed Crucible will not be in the set).
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    People were expecting Crucible, rather than Relic.

The new art for Renewed Faith is amazing.

Still not sure why they just refuse to reprint Slide for Modern.

Honestly, I think they should do a reprint set or just hit it up at the next B&R and "legalize" a bunch of stuff that they clearly won't ever print in Standard but that would really help out Modern a ton, like Slide, Counterspell, Bidding, the Wishes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The new art for Renewed Faith is amazing.

Still not sure why they just refuse to reprint Slide for Modern.

Honestly, I think they should do a reprint set or just hit it up at the next B&R and "legalize" a bunch of stuff that they clearly won't ever print in Standard but that would really help out Modern a ton, like Slide, Counterspell, Bidding, the Wishes, etc.
    I've been tinkering with some hypothetical slide lists recently with this in mind. There is nothing that would get me to jump into Modern faster than being able to play a slide pile again.

#slidindirty4modern
    Last edited by kirkusjones; 03-01-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

[rant]

I know reddit is the gaping asshole of the internet, but the tone of discussion there on most of these cards is really irritating. This set honestly looks really cool and instead it's just a bunch of children mewling that their pet EDH card wasn't reprinted. I don't need to hear snide remarks about Accumulated Knowledge (which I am fucking STOKED to play again) from people who were still trying to escape their daddy's nutsack back when Dave Williams was curving them at Worlds.

For chrissake, you're getting Port, Jace, Imperial Recruiter, and a bunch of other dope cards, some of which are available in foil for the first time. Set is good. Get off my lawn.

[/rant]
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    [rant]

I know reddit is the gaping asshole of the internet, but the tone of discussion there on most of these cards is really irritating. This set honestly looks really cool and instead it's just a bunch of children mewling that their pet EDH card wasn't reprinted. I don't need to hear snide remarks about Accumulated Knowledge (which I am fucking STOKED to play again) from people who were still trying to escape their daddy's nutsack back when Dave Williams was curving them at Worlds.

For chrissake, you're getting Port, Jace, Imperial Recruiter, and a bunch of other dope cards, some of which are available in foil for the first time. Set is good. Get off my lawn.

[/rant]
    You said it all mate.
    It`s Reddit so what do you expect of them? :D

The crazy nastyass honey badger

Dec 2013
    A desk chair, The Netherlands

No, no, if we're not getting Veteran Explorer it's all shit

I want that thing in foil dammit, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalrywolfpack View Post
    DAMMIT ECHELON

Diabolic Edict with new art is cool
    Vhati being thrown overboard seems a bit silly after a while

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Diabolic Edict with new art is cool
    Vhati being thrown overboard seems a bit silly after a while
    Indeed, although it's not exactly "new," it was used in Duels of the Planeswalkers, just new to print now.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

As someone who has been playing this game for 24 years, all the nostalgia notes should hit for me, but over all this collection feels a little flat for me.

Some of the reprints were obviously great for the secondary market and i applaud that, but over all i feel they could have hit way more of the flavour and nostalgia. When i look at this set i don't get a real feel for a trip down memory lane or like a medium powered cube experience of magics greatest hits from all eras, this doesn't come close.

Instead of using all the newer set slots for commons and such i wish they would have gone with more of the commons and uncommons that defined magics current and past competitive and casual landscapes.

This just feels like a generic Masters set, not a celebration of 25 years of magic, and it really wouldn't have been hard for them to do that properly.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Could you list some of those cards?

I thought there was some good ones that representing competitive play over the years.
    -rob

OG Art Serra Angel would have done a ton for me, and I suspect a lot of other people as well.

It's funny seeing some stuff like Ghost Ship and remembering that once upon a time Blue got the worst creatures because it got the best spells. Now it just gets the best of everything, because lol nothing matters.

Feb 2015
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    As someone who has been playing this game for 24 years, all the nostalgia notes should hit for me, but over all this collection feels a little flat for me.

Some of the reprints were obviously great for the secondary market and i applaud that, but over all i feel they could have hit way more of the flavour and nostalgia. When i look at this set i don't get a real feel for a trip down memory lane or like a medium powered cube experience of magics greatest hits from all eras, this doesn't come close.

Instead of using all the newer set slots for commons and such i wish they would have gone with more of the commons and uncommons that defined magics current and past competitive and casual landscapes.

This just feels like a generic Masters set, not a celebration of 25 years of magic, and it really wouldn't have been hard for them to do that properly.
    From my perspective, and I started playing in the late 90s, what really kills nostalgia is the new art on many cards. For instance, Giant Growth, Savanna Lions, Pyroclasm, Swords to Plowshares, Disenchant, Arcane Denial, just to name a few. I guess this is because back then the artists retained artwork copyright and Wizards doesn't want to pay anything now. And Photoshop made aberrations are cheap to buy. Borders are also wrong and the company uses this new asymmetrical confusion.

I understand that it is not easy to make a set that is a homage to the 25 year history of the game and still playable in limited, but I completely agree that these is no any special feel about this set other than "wow, there are some money cards there!" Sad.
    ---
    Carpe Diem

Thread Information