Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masters 25

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Re: Masters 25

I don't buy new cards, but I think it would have been cool had they reprinted the old cards in the old borders etc but did the watermark. They did it prior and this is supposed to be a special set.
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Chronatog View Post
    For instance, Giant Growth, Savanna Lions, Pyroclasm, Swords to Plowshares, Disenchant, Arcane Denial, just to name a few. I guess this is because back then the artists retained artwork copyright and Wizards doesn't want to pay anything now.
    I think it might go a bit further, I don't think they can actually use any of that art any more, although I am really not sure exactly why...

But it sad that Dark Ritual, which might be the card with the best array of art available across printings, seems to only now be able to be printed with (arguably) one of the weakest pieces ever made for it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

When I think of good old art I think of the Howling Hymn. That's lost.

When I think of good art these days I think of things like Descendants' Path. The new Renewed Faith is stunning too. There are jems in the new style.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Could you list some of those cards?

I thought there was some good ones that representing competitive play over the years.
    ABU: Demonic Tutor would have been nice, since it's crazy overdue for a reprint especially foil. I think they did a good job for the most part with ABU.
    Mana Vault would have been nice too, Sol Ring.

Arabian Nights (that only got one card for some reason) Serendib Djinn, Ehrnam or Kird Ape.

Odyssey Block: Psychotog, CABAL COFFERS (which is like a $30 card now) Wild Mongrel, Genesis, Chainers Edict, Wake

To name a few small examples (could do this with like every set)

Overall, where are the planes walkers?

Where is anything to do with the weatherlight?

Karn?

Why did we get more Enchantment Creature/artifacts than we did Equipment? Like that's one block vs 15 years of a card sub type/mechanic. Jitte? War Hammer? Anything?

Why did we just get a pendelhaven at a rare when they just released a judge foil for it?

Cool lands are the centerpiece of most competitive play, and we get Filters as a cycle? Like i'm glad they got reprinted but not for what's supposed to be a celebration of 25 years.

Innistrad was a super popular and iconic set, there are zombies and vampires werewolves ghosts, angels, demons, a ton of influential cards oozing with flavour that defined it, and we get a tree. A fucking TREE?!?!? you had all those options and you went with a mythic tree, from the horror themed world. Name me 100 cards that make you think of innistrad, and i guarantee you that a tree was not in there. Heck if you just wanted garbage mythics from there, why not the Helvault? It least that was important to the story and flavour.

I could literally write a million more points on all of this, but i'm at work.
    Last edited by ReAnimator; 03-02-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Overall, where are the planes walkers?
    Did you really think the whole "Jacetice League" was a joke? It's Jace or nothing. But you're right, there are suprisingly few references to Urza and the whole Weatherlight/Invasion saga.

Tree as Redemption as Innistrad representative was fucking stupid. Taking a mythic slot just adds injury to the insult. Card choices in general were all over the place. They added some good money cards (and at 10 fucking dollars, they better had to - Iconic Masters was a complete disaster sales-wise; rumor has it they only sold 9% compared to the MM17), but alot of other stuff is rather questionable.

May 2015
    PDX

Finally Stangg Twin token, at long last.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    When I think of good old art I think of the Howling Hymn. That's lost.
    Is that not just the 3 wolf moon shirt in cardboard form?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronatog View Post
    From my perspective, and I started playing in the late 90s, what really kills nostalgia is the new art on many cards. For instance, Giant Growth, Savanna Lions, Pyroclasm, Swords to Plowshares, Disenchant, Arcane Denial, just to name a few. I guess this is because back then the artists retained artwork copyright and Wizards doesn't want to pay anything now. And Photoshop made aberrations are cheap to buy. Borders are also wrong and the company uses this new asymmetrical confusion.
    Just have to pop in to clarify something here:

Commissions go for the same rate regardless of if they're traditionally or digitally painted.

Apr 2014
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

There's a really good joke here.

That tree of Innistrad was probably the biggest miss on the entire set, lol.

About arts, new Esnaring Bridge os discusting with that ugly 3d effect.

Doomsday is probably the best hit of new art that I saw, ever. Is the first black card that looks like black cards from 90s in tha last years.

The set looks fun, way more good commons and uncommons than standard Masters, not that great mythics and rares as MM17 or original MM. But for draft, commons and uncommons are way more important than rares.

Enviado de meu SM-G900MD usando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    On that topic, it annoys me they didn't reprint Urza's Factory for this reason. They never made an Assembly Worker token for it when it was originally printed, and this would have been an opportunity for it. True, the card's worth practically nothing, but neither is Zoetic Cavern (which is the slot I was hoping the Factory would be in).

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Did you really think the whole "Jacetice League" was a joke? It's Jace or nothing. But you're right, there are suprisingly few references to Urza and the whole Weatherlight/Invasion saga.

Tree as Redemption as Innistrad representative was fucking stupid. Taking a mythic slot just adds injury to the insult. Card choices in general were all over the place. They added some good money cards (and at 10 fucking dollars, they better had to - Iconic Masters was a complete disaster sales-wise; rumor has it they only sold 9% compared to the MM17), but alot of other stuff is rather questionable.
    Tree of Redemption makes me scratch my head in confusion more than anything else. Even if they absolutely needed a Green mythic rare from Innistrad, Garruk Relentless would have been a superior choice.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Tree of Redemption makes me scratch my head in confusion more than anything else. Even if they absolutely needed a Green mythic rare from Innistrad, Garruk Relentless would have been a superior choice.
    Another Planeswalker aside from Jace? We can't have that!

They also had a recent reprint in FTV: Transform (aka shit nobody cares about).

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post

Think anyone would notice if you altered the set symbol to a certain plant?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Watersaw View Post

Why did they completely alter his armor? It seems pretty generic now. Compare it to the original:

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ZackStella View Post
    Just have to pop in to clarify something here:

Commissions go for the same rate regardless of if they're traditionally or digitally painted.

Holy Shit it's Zack Stella!!!

Love your work.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Why did they completely alter his armor? It seems pretty generic now. Compare it to the original:

The problem is that it isn't identical art to that of the original Stangg.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

bruizar

Mar 2007

This really makes me wonder how WotC was able to stay in business that long. They basically just nuked consumer confidence as there's no guarantee that Dominaria doesn't have the same issues.

This really makes me wonder how WotC was able to stay in business that long. They basically just nuked consumer confidence as there's no guarantee that Dominaria doesn't have the same issues.
    If this is a not a fluke, a lot depends on how - or indeed whether - WotC will acknowledge the issue. It stands to reason that if the problem is widespread, they must have been aware of it for some time now. They should have realized how much is at stake, and found some way to pre-empt the inevitable backlash.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by DLifshitz View Post
    If this is a not a fluke, a lot depends on how - or indeed whether - WotC will acknowledge the issue. It stands to reason that if the problem is widespread, they must have been aware of it for some time now. They should have realized how much is at stake, and found some way to pre-empt the inevitable backlash.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, considering the quality issues of the American card stock which they completely ignore. The mapping issue seems to be widespread if you're looking at the Reddit thread. I also wonder why Jace is mapped differently than the other mythics. #tinfoilhat

Print quality seems pretty poor in general. Dots seem to be prominent as well, although the spread of this is issue is currently unknown.

Thread Information