Thread: [EDH] Gishath - Dinosaur Tribal

Hybrid View

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

[EDH] Gishath - Dinosaur Tribal

I have to admit I was pleased with Wizard's fan service in Ixalan. Twenty-five years after the printing of Fungusaur, dinosaurs are officially a thing in Magic!

After borrowing a friends Gishath deck on EDH night a few times, I committed and bought myself a couple dozen dinosaurs of my own. Gishath's card text pretty much limits the deck design to tribal, which is fine by me. Kaheera has joined Team Dinos. Here's the list:

Commander
    Companion
    Kaheera, the Orphanguard

Dinosaurs (30)

Support (33)

Lands (36)

The strategy is pretty straight-forward: Ramp and play Gishath => attack with Gishath!
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 02-18-2024 at 11:10 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [EDH] Gishath - Dinosaur Tribal

Got one game under my belt!

Just from goldfishing, I knew my manabase sucked... I actually borrowed a Reflecting Pool, Stomping Ground, and Temple Garden from another deck before giving it a go. Definitely helped out as finding all three colors was not an issue.

I ended up casting Gishath 3 times, but always had a surplus of mana if I needed to re-cast him. Some of this was due to Etali showing Tempt with Discovery off an opponent's library and everyone deciding they wanted to ramp.

An opponent had Maze of Ith out, which revealed itself to be a pretty big problem. Fortunately that opponent didn't proactively use it against me as long as I didn't aim Gishath his way.

The deck forced several board wipes, and recovered after each. Although it would have struggled with 1 more than it saw...

I'm tempted to find room for a package that would protect from board resets.
    I'm considering:

Boros Charm
    Heroic Intervention
    Ghostway

I'm also going to take another look at my ramp package. Tempt With Discovery was really powerful.
    And of course I need to invest more $$ into my lands.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

First two things (besides the obvious lands) would be Lightning Greeves (to protect your big plays/General/early cost reducers to at least last a turn and provide value) and Pyrohemia (to keep the board relative clear early, as most of your cost reducers/support creatures have more than 1 toughness, then later trigger your Enrage guys).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Probably want to get rid of the changelings for pure flavor purposes, no?
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I have some built in haste (Gishath, Otepec Huntmaster, Regisaur Alpha, Charging Monstrosaur), so I'm not too worried on that front, but shroud/hexproof is desperately needed. That's why I was musing about Boros Charm/Heroic Intervention/Ghostway up above... I'll probably play around with both options just to see which is stronger.

Pyrohemia definitely spiked due to dinosaurs, and there is obvious synergy with the Enrage mechanic.
    I dunno... It just didn't excite me when I was putting together the list. You are probably right though.

Kap'n, you think the changelings are a flavor fail? I think Mirror Entity is too strong not to include... And the Colossus is a good mana sink (but lacks trample...). If they print a bunch of new dinosaurs, I could easily see cutting Taurean Mauler. I'd even cut the Colossus if the dino was clearly better. But I think Mirror Entity has a spot no matter what!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I have some built in haste (Gishath, Otepec Huntmaster, Regisaur Alpha, Charging Monstrosaur), so I'm not too worried on that front, but shroud/hexproof is desperately needed. That's why I was musing about Boros Charm/Heroic Intervention/Ghostway up above... I'll probably play around with both options just to see which is stronger.
    Yeah, the haste is of limited value, but the zero equip and Shroud are the key points. Whispersilk Cloak is another consideration, considering you do have guys that trigger on hitting a player.

Pyrohemia definitely spiked due to dinosaurs, and there is obvious synergy with the Enrage mechanic.
    I dunno... It just didn't excite me when I was putting together the list. You are probably right though.
    I forgot that it actually costs money now-a-days. I've always had it as a go-to card for EDH though, since the old, old days where I'd use it in my Numot deck to clear out small blockers so he could get in, and later in my Oros Enchantment deck where it is a great combo with Death Pits of Rath.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Kap'n, you think the changelings are a flavor fail? I think Mirror Entity is too strong not to include... And the Colossus is a good mana sink (but lacks trample...). If they print a bunch of new dinosaurs, I could easily see cutting Taurean Mauler. I'd even cut the Colossus if the dino was clearly better. But I think Mirror Entity has a spot no matter what!

Na I'm just being picky. Like I am about to put together Thelon Fungi and put in Nameless Inversion for the synergy but didn't feel like Chameleon was close enough flavorly/art-wise to make the cut. Mirror Entity is for sure straight gas and dino-relevant, just my own personal style I probably wouldn't. Now that I think about it, maybe I should ditch the nameless inversion lol.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Thread Information