Thread: "Mana of any type" question

"Mana of any type" question

I cast a Dire Fleet Daredevil and exile, say, a Faithless Looting. The only mana I have untapped is a Pillar of Origins. My interpretation of using mana "as if it was any type" only applies to colors, not what the mana can be used on (creatures only, in this case). So I can NOT use mana from Pillar to cast a non-creature card exiled with Daredevil. Can the community confirm this is correct?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: "Mana of any type" question

106.1b There are six types of mana: white, blue, black, red, green, and colorless.

106.6. Some spells or abilities that produce mana restrict how that mana can be spent, have an additional effect that affects the spell or ability that mana is spent on, or create a delayed triggered ability (see rule 603.7a) that triggers when that mana is spent. This doesn’t affect the mana’s type.

609.4. Some effects state that a player may do something “as though” some condition were true or a creature can do something “as though” some condition were true. This applies only to the stated effect. For purposes of that effect, treat the game exactly as if the stated condition were true. For all other purposes, treat the game normally.
    Correct, the limitation from the mana is separate from the type of mana. Type of mana only refers to the colors of the mana as they relate to cost. Other restrictions remain and are unaffected by the type limitations being lifted by Dire Fleet Captain. You would need to launder the mana through Burning-Tree Emissary or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Re: "Mana of any type" question

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Correct, the limitation from the mana is separate from the type of mana. Type of mana only refers to the colors of the mana as they relate to cost. Other restrictions remain and are unaffected by the type limitations being lifted by Dire Fleet Captain. You would need to launder the mana through Burning-Tree Emissary or something.
    Thanks for the reference! Must have been searching for the wrong words myself.

Thread Information