Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

  1. #1

    Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Hello!

    So I played magic heavily when I was young about 20 years ago or so. Over the past year I've really been getting back into the game. I've decided to get into Legacy since I have a lot of old cards and there are some regular Legacy nights at my LGS. I also did some cost analysis, and the cost for me to get into modern is not much different from Legacy, considering the cards I already own.

    Anyway, after nearly a year of debate, I've decided to build Reanimator for my first Legacy deck. Since I'm on a budget, I've built a mono-black version with intentions to make it BR when I get some dual lands. I have about $60 left to round out my main decklist, and I'm looking for advice on what's the wisest way to spend that money. First, here is my current decklist:


    //CREATURES
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    2 Griselbrand
    2 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    1 Sire of Insanity
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Tidesprout Tyrant
    4 Putrid Imp

    //OTHER SPELLS
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    2 Animate Dead
    4 Entomb
    2 Buried Alive
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Duress

    //LAND
    16 Swamp


    My top considerations right now are for buying a playset of Thoughtsieze or a set of Fetchlands. What would you say is more important to get first?

    Also, for planning my next purchases, do you think pain lands are an ok alternative to the original dual lands until I can afford them?

    I really appreciate the feedback and advice!

  2. #2
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,072

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Thoughtseize, hands down if you're mono-black. Thoughtseize-ing yourself is a real thing if you're mono-black, and it can give you time if you have a slow hand. Blind naming Therapy is a skill that is learned as you familiarize youself with the format, and Duress doesn't always hit what you want.

    Shocklands (like Blood Crypt) can be fine if you go Br reanimator. The deck either wins fast or faceplants fast, the life loss isn't a huge deal honestly. I would definitely look to moving towards that setup after you get extra cash. Chancellor of the Annex is a decent choice even in mono-black as well, and it's a key element in Br.

    Good luck!
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  3. #3

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    I played reanimator with a rainbow mana base to some local success back in October November. 3 or 4, 3-1's in a row with 4 city of brass, 4 gemstone mine, 4 mana confluence, 2 undiscovered paradise, 4 Lotus petal, 4 dark ritual. I highly recommend for weekday night budget legacy. 4 show and tell in the sb for when they bring in graveyard hate. The maindeck was close to br reanimator. I ran 1 children and 1 tendrils md though plus 2 careful study.

  4. #4

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Thought seize if you can swing it is amazing, unmask is certainly a card to also be on your radar especially if you want to go RB. Collective Brutality is amazing as well. A little pricey thanks to modern but it is what it is.

    Chancellor of the Annex is still good, but especially in mono black versions grave titan being castable is relevant. Good luck.

  5. #5

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    What about Sickening Dreams as a (uncounterable) discard option over Putrid Imp, as it can deal with DRS as well (like Collective Brutality)?

  6. #6
    Hymn-Slinger
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    2,391

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Another route to expand to would be something like Reanimater Depths which has a lot of potential color and mono options and is fairly resilient to Graveyard hate (which will show up more and more if you only have one deck to play).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    óKaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  7. #7
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,072

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Another route to expand to would be something like Reanimater Depths which has a lot of potential color and mono options and is fairly resilient to Graveyard hate (which will show up more and more if you only have one deck to play).
    I 2nd this. Depths x4 will it run you about $120-150 and it's a powerful card that can open up other deck options.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  8. #8

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobra_D View Post
    Thought seize if you can swing it is amazing, unmask is certainly a card to also be on your radar especially if you want to go RB. Collective Brutality is amazing as well. A little pricey thanks to modern but it is what it is.

    Chancellor of the Annex is still good, but especially in mono black versions grave titan being castable is relevant. Good luck.
    I was considering Unmask. If I purchased fetchlands I would probably use that card over Thoughtseize.

    Is there an advantage to using Grave Titan over the creature package I currently have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    What about Sickening Dreams as a (uncounterable) discard option over Putrid Imp, as it can deal with DRS as well (like Collective Brutality)?.
    That's an interesting idea. I wasn't aware of Sickening Dreams. My initial thought is to stick with Putrid Imp because it only costs a single mana and the discard ability can be used repeatedly as long as it remains in play. I'll have to give it some more thought though.

    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Another route to expand to would be something like Reanimater Depths which has a lot of potential color and mono options and is fairly resilient to Graveyard hate (which will show up more and more if you only have one deck to play).
    I really like this idea. I will definitely keep this in mind as an option as I get the cash to expand my deck.

    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!

  9. #9
    Member
    Weapon X's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2014
    Location

    Winnipeg, Mb
    Posts

    325

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Get fetchlands first. They will give you access to duals faster and reliably with a minimal amount of duals.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

  10. #10

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=29489&iddeck=246460

    Very nice list. I think mono black reanimator is good deck in this moment.

  11. #11
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    1,250

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    This is basically Pox with a reanimator finisher. I love the heavy discard suite to crush other combo decks and control, and the push towards Grave Titan.

    Grave Titan can be hardcast as early as turn 3 off Lake of the Dead (losing both your other lands) or turn 4 off Dark Ritual. That means you're both resilient to removal and not dependent on the graveyard to win. Especially once you board out reanimation for Helm-Line. Opponent sees Dark Ritual -> Entomb -> Griselbrand in game 1 and boards in all their gravehate, but you don't actually care. The typical answers to Reanimator/SneakShow fatties (spot removal, Karakas, Ensnaring Bridge, Ashen Rider, bounce, edicts) can also be ignored thanks to the zombie tokens.

    Also, you dodge all the rampant nonbasic hate. Back to.. what? Back to Griselbrand? Don't mind if I do. Blood... what? Blood feud with Grave Titan? Coming right up.

    HelmLine looks extremely well-positioned too. What are the chances they'll have removal for 4 CMC noncreature permanents postboard? Leyline wrecks so many decks right now for added value.

  12. #12

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=29489&iddeck=246460

    Very nice list. I think mono black reanimator is good deck in this moment.

    Thatís the correct route for this deck. The whole point of going MonoBlack is to be able to hardcast your threats using Lake of the Dead thereby ignoring graveyard hate post board.

    Thatís basically the list I play except for playing Exhume instead of Smallpox and playing Massacre Wurm in lieu of the Elesh Norn. The preboard list should be close to a typical b/r Reanimator list which is why I dislike Smallpox maindeck

  13. #13

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Thatís the correct route for this deck. The whole point of going MonoBlack is to be able to hardcast your threats using Lake of the Dead thereby ignoring graveyard hate post board.

    Thatís basically the list I play except for playing Exhume instead of Smallpox and playing Massacre Wurm in lieu of the Elesh Norn. The preboard list should be close to a typical b/r Reanimator list which is why I dislike Smallpox maindeck
    https://www.channelfireball.com/vide...el-mengucci-2/

    I think this list is very strong. Pack rat in side is good card vs hate graveyard

  14. #14

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    https://www.channelfireball.com/vide...el-mengucci-2/

    I think this list is very strong. Pack rat in side is good card vs hate graveyard
    Yeah I like 95% of that list.

    However, I am almost certain that the one of Oona's Prowler and Duress are suboptimal.

    Liliana of the Veil is a far better discard outlet than Oona's Prowler, it's symmetrical discard and it can even deal with opposing creatures.

    I also prefer Unmask (or even Cabal Therapy) to Duress.

    Unmask is especially strong because if you know your opponent isn't playing blue, you can reliably unmask a creature such as your Grave Titan and reanimate him along with 2 2/2s out on Turn 1. Cabal Therapy also lets you discard your own creature like Unmask, will hit reliably thanks to the 4 Thoughtseize and 4 Collective Brutality and can even be flashbacked by saccing a 2/2 token.

  15. #15

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Yeah I like 95% of that list.

    However, I am almost certain that the one of Oona's Prowler and Duress are suboptimal.

    Liliana of the Veil is a far better discard outlet than Oona's Prowler, it's symmetrical discard and it can even deal with opposing creatures.

    I also prefer Unmask (or even Cabal Therapy) to Duress.

    Unmask is especially strong because if you know your opponent isn't playing blue, you can reliably unmask a creature such as your Grave Titan and reanimate him along with 2 2/2s out on Turn 1. Cabal Therapy also lets you discard your own creature like Unmask, will hit reliably thanks to the 4 Thoughtseize and 4 Collective Brutality and can even be flashbacked by saccing a 2/2 token.
    You change is - 1 duress - 1 oona +1 unmask +1 Liliana right?

    And side? I think 2/3 copy ratchet bomb is good vs chalice and ensnaring bridge

    4 leyline for sure
    4 pack rat for sure
    2 /3 ratchet bomb?
    2 Helm?
    1/2 massacre?
    2 surgical?
    2 liliana hope vs controll deck?
    2 spyglass?

    What do you think?

  16. #16

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    You change is - 1 duress - 1 oona +1 unmask +1 Liliana right?

    And side? I think 2/3 copy ratchet bomb is good vs chalice and ensnaring bridge

    4 leyline for sure
    4 pack rat for sure
    2 /3 ratchet bomb?
    2 Helm?
    1/2 massacre?
    2 surgical?
    2 liliana hope vs controll deck?
    2 spyglass?

    What do you think?
    Looks great except for the 2 Helm in the board. 2 Helm in a deck with no cantrips and no tutors is too random to warrant playing. Also not sure why Spyglass since your deck doesn't care about wasteland and pithing needle is the superior card post board in any non-Chalice deck. I personally like Plague (or Infest/Deluge/Damnation) in the board against random aggro decks like Elves or Goblins since Ritual can accelerate them out but it's a meta choice.

  17. #17

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Looks great except for the 2 Helm in the board. 2 Helm in a deck with no cantrips and no tutors is too random to warrant playing. Also not sure why Spyglass since your deck doesn't care about wasteland and pithing needle is the superior card post board in any non-Chalice deck. I personally like Plague (or Infest/Deluge/Damnation) in the board against random aggro decks like Elves or Goblins since Ritual can accelerate them out but it's a meta choice.
    Next time I test main deck same list +1 Liliana +1 unmask

    Side

    4 leyline
    4 pack rat
    2 plague
    And?

  18. #18

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    It just occurred to me that Helm is great against decks that side in Rest in Peace. Using their own hate against them is tech. Maybe it does have merit.

    Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    Next time I test main deck same list +1 Liliana +1 unmask

    Side

    4 leyline
    4 pack rat
    2 plague
    And?
    Ratchet Bomb is one of the only outs against Ensnaring Bridge.
    Pithing Needle is solid vs Dark Depths, Food Chain et al.
    Leyline Hope or Massacre are perfectly solid SB options.

  19. #19

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    It just occurred to me that Helm is great against decks that side in Rest in Peace. Using their own hate against them is tech. Maybe it does have merit.



    Ratchet Bomb is one of the only outs against Ensnaring Bridge.
    Pithing Needle is solid vs Dark Depths, Food Chain et al.
    Leyline Hope or Massacre are perfectly solid SB options.
    What do you think 2 unmask main deck and no Liliana?

    Side

    4 leyline
    4 pack rat
    2 plague
    2 ratchet bomb
    2 Liliana hope
    1 massacre /needle

    What do you think?

  20. #20

    Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

    Today 4 1 in league.

    W vs ant, sneak and show, elf, loam.

    Lose vs dredge

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)