Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

Re: Re-entering Legacy - Mono-black Reanimator

Today I play mono black reanimator in Milan 32 player five turn Swiss.

G1 lose 1 2 vs elf
    G2 w 2 1 vs infect
    G3 w 2 0 vs ant
    G4 w 2 1 vs lands
    G5 Id

Top 8 w 2 0 vs threshold
    Top 4 split

4 grave titan
    2 griselbrand
    1 iona
    1 massacre wurm
    1 wurmcoil engine
    1 oona's prowler

4 entomb
    4 reanimate
    4 animate dead
    4 brutality
    4 dark ritual
    4 tourach
    4 thoughtseize
    2 exhume
    1 duress

17 swamp
    2 lake

Side
    4 leyline of the void
    4 pack rat
    2 surgical
    2 ratch bomb
    3 Liliana hope

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

what were your matchups? or was this the event you already mentioned?
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    what were your matchups? or was this the event you already mentioned?
    It was the event I mentioned

Two mono black Reanimator lists 5-0ed a big MTGO tourney yesterday...

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tourname...19-05-04#paper

Mono B Reanimator v1
    Creatures (8)
    4 Grave Titan 4bb 60.16
    1 Massacre Wurm 3bbb 22.37
    1 Ashen Rider 4wwbb 2.09
    1 Griselbrand 4bbbb 18.99
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria 6www 13.99
    Spells (29)
    4 Cabal Therapy b 7.56
    4 Dark Ritual b 1.80
    4 Duress b 0.60
    4 Entomb b 30.40
    4 Reanimate b 39.96
    2 Collective Brutality 1b 33.90
    3 Exhume 1b 7.47
    4 Hymn to Tourach bb 1.96
    Enchantments (4)
    4 Animate Dead 1b 9.04
    Lands (19)
    3 Lake of the Dead 111.21
    16 Swamp 0.00
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Marsh Casualties bb 0.21
    4 Pack Rat 1b 7.60
    3 Liliana, the Last Hope 1bb 139.83
    2 Toxic Deluge 2b 50.72
    4 Leyline of the Void 2bb 198.84
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite 5ww 20.67

Mono B Reanimator v2
    Creatures (10)
    4 Chancellor of the Annex 4www 20.88
    1 Ashen Rider 4wwbb 2.09
    4 Griselbrand 4bbbb 75.96
    1 Tidespout Tyrant 5uuu 0.99
    Spells (28)
    3 Cabal Therapy b 5.67
    4 Dark Ritual b 1.80
    4 Entomb b 30.40
    4 Reanimate b 39.96
    4 Thoughtseize b 56.76
    1 Collective Brutality 1b 16.95
    4 Exhume 1b 9.96
    4 Unmask 3b 26.20
    Artifacts (4)
    4 Lotus Petal 0 32.00
    Enchantments (4)
    4 Animate Dead 1b 9.04
    Lands (14)
    2 Bayou 597.98
    4 Bloodstained Mire 140.00
    4 Polluted Delta 120.64
    4 Swamp 0.0

Went 3-0-1 at my LGS @ Asgard Houston, TX.

Matchups were: UR Delver, UW Stoneblade w/ palace jailer, Red Painter/mono red prison ft. new karn, and ID w/ Grixis Delver

20 LAND

2 Lake of the Dead
    18 Swamp

8 CREATURES
    1 Ashen Rider
    4 Grave Titan
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Massacre Wurm

24 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    8 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Animate Dead
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Phyrexian Arena
    1 Underworld Dreams

SIDEBOARD
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
    1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
    1 Pack Rat
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sorin Markov
    1 Toxic Deluge

Quote Originally Posted by cheekslikewhoa View Post
    Went 3-0-1 at my LGS @ Asgard Houston, TX.

Matchups were: UR Delver, UW Stoneblade w/ palace jailer, Red Painter/mono red prison ft. new karn, and ID w/ Grixis Delver

20 LAND

2 Lake of the Dead
    18 Swamp

8 CREATURES
    1 Ashen Rider
    4 Grave Titan
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Massacre Wurm

24 INSTANTS and SORC.
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    8 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Animate Dead
    1 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Phyrexian Arena
    1 Underworld Dreams

SIDEBOARD
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
    1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
    1 Pack Rat
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Sorin Markov
    1 Toxic Deluge
    I saw this list on MTGTop8, and fell in love! Were you bringing in the Helms automatically whenever you brought in the 4x Leylines?

I have this sleeved up and will be bringing it to my LGS tomorrow. I can report back how it goes later this week.

Yup! Pretty much every game 2 I boarded into the planeswalkers/pack rat. The miracles player scooped when I played my 3rd land and had pack rat out because they boarded out all their StP. I had an opponent almost forget about the Leyline+helm combo when I activated the helm but luckily they caught it but eventually lost to Grave Titan!

Its crazy to me that this is the closest thing we have to a Mono B Reanimator Thread on this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I am most excited about this in Mono Black Reanimator. Goodbye Oona’s Prowler.

Turn 1 Ritual into this is a fantastic play for us. Even better than a turn 1 Ritual into Liliana since this applies a lot of pressure on your opponents life total unless your opponents uses up removal on it that otherwise would have hit one of your Grave Titans that you Lake of the Dead out later.

Early game its great and even midgame its great since we are usually in topdeck mode by then and a 7/6 is always going to be bigger than Goyfs/Anglers.

It gives the deck yet another workaround against graveyard hate.

I see this card as a 4 of staple for us replacing Lilianas and random cards like Phyrexian Arena and Underworld Dreams. I would even cut a Collective Brutality or Ashen Rider to make room for 4 of these.

Here is what I am planning to try...

18 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    3 Exhume

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Rotting Regisaur
    4 Grave Titan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Vilis, Broker of Blood
    1 Ashen Rider

The only change I am considering is to cut a Regisaur or a Collective Brutality or an Exhume to make room for either a Massacre Wurm or the 4th Hymn. But I am not that invested in Hymn. Sometimes Hymn takes out a card we care about or mana screws an opponent but sometimes, it doesnt hit anything relevant and we would have been better off going with out main gameplan.

Vilis is an amazing addition to the deck and the ideal choice to tutor up with Entomb if you're planning to cast Reanimate, especially if your life total in threatened by an aggressive opponent (Burn for example), or if your opponent has a Baleful Strix or Vampire Hexmage on the board.

The deck goes a bit heavier on the reanimator plan (3 Exhume maindeck) game one but can switch gears post board to be less graveyard reliant and more controllish.

Do you guys agree that this card is an upgrade to our Lilianas and Phyrexian Arenas?
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 06-21-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Cut Massacre Wurm for Vilis, Broker of Blood

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

When I first saw this card, I also thought about Mono B Reanimator.
    Without ever having played this deck, I thought it would certainly replace Grave Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    When I first saw this card, I also thought about Mono B Reanimator.
    Without ever having played this deck, I thought it would certainly replace Grave Titan.
    Ha no, Grave Titan is the card you Reanimate or Lake of the Dead out.

This guy is a discard outlet. It would be played instead of other discard outlets like Liliana of the Veil, Unmask, Buried Alive and Collective Brutality.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 06-19-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Ha no, Grave Titan is the card you Reanimate or Lake of the Dead out.
    I thought Titan is there to be less dependant on the graveyard. If you want to reanimate things, there are surely better bombs.
    Therefore I thought the new 7/6 is takes the slot for GY-independant win condition. It doesn't even need Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    I thought Titan is there to be less dependant on the graveyard. If you want to reanimate things, there are surely better bombs.
    Therefore I thought the new 7/6 is takes the slot for GY-independant win condition. It doesn't even need Lake.
    It's so much worse vs spot removal, strix, jace-bounce, doesn't help to flashback therapy, etc, so I'm not overly excited about the fact that it's only 3 mana.
    It does seem like a potential upgrade to e.g. Liliana of the Veil or Oona's Prowler, Brutality etc

So is everyone in agreement that Vilis, Broker of Blood is a 1 of autoinclude in this deck? It's usually the ideal choice to tutor up with Entomb if you're planning to cast Reanimate, especially if your life total in already low thanks to an aggressive opponent, or if your opponent has a Baleful Strix or Vampire Hexmage on the board.

The main question is where to slot Vilis in. As you can see in my proposed list, I'm opting to slot it in place of Massacre Wurm...

18 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    3 Exhume

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Rotting Regisaur
    4 Grave Titan
    1 Massacre Wurm
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Vilis, Broker of Blood

Do you think there's another card I should cut from the above list to add Massacre Wurm back in? Should I consider a 3/1 split between Grave Titan and Vilis instead?

I felt like Massacre Wurm is the card we want to Entomb for the least often. Ashen Rider is our only out against Ensnaring Bridge (and random stuff like Emrakul or Karakas) so I didn't want to cut that. Iona straight up wins against mono colored strategies. Massacre Wurm is only Entombed for against tribal swarm decks like Elves and Goblins, but Iona is usually an autowin against those decks as well.

Edit: Decided that being able to hardcast Massacre Wurm with either Dark Ritual or Lake of the Dead is too useful to cut the card. Instead cut Ashen Rider since we can always draw 7-8 cards with Griselbrand or Vilis to play around Ensnaring Bridge.
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 06-21-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Cut Ashen Rider for Vilis, Broker of Blood

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    So is everyone in agreement that Vilis, Broker of Blood is a 1 of autoinclude in this deck? It's usually the ideal choice to tutor up with Entomb if you're planning to cast Reanimate, especially if your life total in already low thanks to an aggressive opponent, or if your opponent has a Baleful Strix or Vampire Hexmage on the board.

The main question is where to slot Vilis in. As you can see in my proposed list, I'm opting to slot it in place of Massacre Wurm...

18 Swamp
    2 Lake of the Dead

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Animate Dead
    3 Exhume

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Rotting Regisaur
    4 Grave Titan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Griselbrand
    1 Vilis, Broker of Blood
    1 Ashen Rider

I felt like Massacre Wurm is the card we want to Entomb for the least often. Ashen Rider is our only out against Ensnaring Bridge (and random stuff like Emrakul or Karakas) so I didn't want to cut that. Iona straight up wins against mono colored strategies. Massacre Wurm is only Entombed for against tribal swarm decks like Elves and Goblins, but Iona is usually an autowin against those decks as well.

But do you disagree, do you think there's another card I should cut from the above list to add Massacre Wurm back in? Should I consider a 3/1 split between Graven Titan and Vilis instead?
    I like this list.

You sideboard?

I think 4 leyline of the and 4 Helm what do you think? And?

Actually, maybe I should leave Massacre Wurm in the maindeck and instead cut Ashen Rider to play the 1 of Vilis. I was wrong to say that the deck doesn't have any out vs Ensnaring Bridge. Using Griselbrand or Vilis to draw 7-8 cards is an out vs. Ensnaring Bridge. Massacre Wurm is easily hardcastable midgame using either Dark Ritual or Lake of the Dead, Ashen Rider isn't.

How often do you guys find yourself Entombing for Ashen Rider?

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    I like this list.

You sideboard?

I think 4 leyline of the and 4 Helm what do you think? And?
    I think 4 Leyline is correct but 4 Helm is way too many. Maybe 2 Helm. The above list hasn't been built yet and I'm in the process of trying the new additions from Modern Horizons so it's too early to settle on a sideboard. I used to play Dread of Night vs DnT but now I'm excited about trying Plague Engineer and Dead of Winter (and swapping all my swamps with snow-covered swamps) as a Toxic Deluge replacement that doesn't cost us any life.

Switching to Snow-Covered Swamp makes sense regardless since it will force your game 1 opponent to play around a Dead of Winter that you're not even playing yet. If your opponent hesistates to dump all their creatures on to the board fearing a Dead of Winter, they essentially give you more time to combo off.

May 2018
    Philadephia, PA

Is anyone still playing Mono-B regularly? What lists have you had luck with? I'm looking to get back into legacy and this is on my shortlist of decks to play.

Yeah I play monoblack pretty regularly at my FNM. The same list I posted above.

The deck is very strong. Rotting Regisaur was an awesome addition to the deck.

May 2018
    Philadephia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Yeah I play monoblack pretty regularly at my FNM. The same list I posted above.

The deck is very strong. Rotting Regisaur was an awesome addition to the deck.
    Awesome, thanks! I'm glad to hear that the deck is still in a pretty good place. What have you landed on as necessary for the sideboard?

I'm thinking of turning my old UB Reanimator deck into this soon (I have everything but Underground Seas, and Watery Grave is really bad).

The main reason I didn't go mono B earlier was that every time I had a Reanimate hand, Griselbrand felt like an auto-loss. At least with UB you can draw 7 into Force + Daze. In mono B without counters it just left me too vulnerable for my liking. Vilis is an amazing fix for that!

Do you all play the transformational Helm of Obedience sideboard? I need to buy some. 2 copies?

Based on the silver bullets I've had to use the most in past Reanimator games, I'll start with 1-of each of these:
    Ashen Rider, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Griselbrand (but where do I put my other 3 copies :(), Vilis, Broker of Blood, Massacre Wurm

Is it still worth having utility fatties sideboard (e.g. Blazing Archon/Stormtide Leviathan for aggro, Inkwell Leviathan/Empyrial Archangel vs spot removal, Sire of Insanity vs storm and control)? Or is the postboard plan to just dodge gravehate and lean on hardcast threats?

Thread Information