Thread: Memorable Tournament Moment(s)?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Memorable Tournament Moment(s)?

Hey guys, was listening to a podcast and a couple people told awesome tournament stories. Some were hilarious and it got me thinking about a moment or two that I was involved in. I thought it'd be cool to share and read other people's memorable moments and share a laugh.

The one that came to my mind was at a local Legacy tournament/PTQ? about 5 years ago. I was in the Top 8 playing Pox, and I had been paired against Elves. It was the deciding game 3 and I went T1 Tabernacle then T2 Swamp, Ritual, Engineered Plague. The guy's shoulders just slumped and my buddy, who was behind the guy, his jaw just dropped and he started laughing. I think I even apologized haha. Man is Dark Ritual awesome.
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Memorable Tournament Moment(s)?

I remember back in Ravnica, it was a 2HG sealed event, maybe prerelease, my buddy and I went.

First round we get a bye and play against each other, trying to debug our piles against phantom opponents.
    Second round our opponents don't show up and we get a match win. Cool I guess, we get food.
    Third round our opponents don't show up. at this point our other pair has dropped and wants to leave, but heck no, we're 3-0 baby!
    Fourth round, we're seated against a 3-0 team while we have yet to play against an opponent.

We get destroyed on a level I haven't experienced in a long time. Our decks were not good, and they had definitely earned their way to that table.
    So 3-1 drop :P
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Stop looking at my shiny purple helmet...
    Apr 2008
    London UK

Many years ago, I was playing Belcher in a local tournament in London and my opponent was on Merfolk.

Comes to Game 3 and I open a hand of Belcher, Taiga, LED, Probe, Probe, ESG, something irrelevant.

My opponent opens with Island, go. I Probe, see Flusterstorm and dudes. Draw a Spirit Guide. Probe again, draw a spirit guide. Then proceed to go Land, remove 3 Spirit Guides, Belcher, LED, Kill you?

Nice Flusterstorm ya got there buddy.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Once on camera at an SCG a Battle of Wits Zoo player beat a Show and Tell player by putting in Battle of Wits off of the guy's Show and Tell. Show and Tell put in Emrakul, Zoo player won following upkeep.

Edit: Here's the clip.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This one was fun (for the first game). Wasn't bad getting stomped in the second and third, Jason is a cool guy and it was neat to be on camera for the first time.

Other notables: At Vintage Champs a couple years ago, playing Big Blue, opponent windmill slams In the Eye of Chaos, so I proceed to win by casting Demonic Tutor, Yawgoth's Will and Tinker that game. Sorceries are good.

Also, same event, I Thoughtseize my Mentor opponent to see he has Flusterstorm and a couple Pyroblasts. Playing a list with a lot of lands, I have way more mana than him, so I win by breaking Demonic Tutor, Key, Yawgwill, Time Vault over two turns. Blue spells aint shit.

In my first actual tournament, it was a Planar Chaos prerelease (I only played kitchen table for a long time), I won a limited event on the back of Dust Elemental. He tapped out, played a bunch of random dude to clog up the board and I had 3 stupid creatures that didn't do anything and he is at 6. I end of turn the Elemental, untap and attack. He can't block with his flying creatures, because they aren't Black and can't block with his Black creature because it doesn't fly. Needless to say, he was very confused as to what just happened...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

My favorite moment that helped me day 2 with Maverick last year from my tourney report.

I don't remember anything but the third game. He has vial but only 1 land and I'm feeling great. Put BSkull with Jitte. He vials in Crusader for the blowout, but it's all good. Then he takes over with Palace Jailer, plus being the monarch. He has Revoker on my Jitte, BSkull, Crusader, Moms, Serra Avenger, vial, lands and is the monarch. I top decked a Knight the turn before and put batterskull on it. He's at 13 and I'm at about 22, but I'm basically dead. I rip Scryb Ranger for the turn. Do some math. Attack with Knight with batterskull, before blocks, activate getting a fetch, fetch, flash in scryb ranger, untap knight, activate knight, get Rogue's Passage, make knight unblockable and watch my opponents face simply drop as I hit him for 15.

God I love Rogues Passage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Player keeps a no-lander because he can't afford to lose card advantage against me: https://blog.seemsgood.com/17-august...-match-report/

Player calls a judge because my deck choices are strange enough for him to think I preboarded: https://blog.seemsgood.com/my-best-judge-call-ever/

Player gives me a Griselbrand to kill him with: https://blog.seemsgood.com/my-greatest-magic-moment/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Big Fat Hard Kicks, Oh My God I Want That Shit!
    Apr 2011

Hivemind Show and Tell player lands a Hivemind and pacts. The Angels Grace Ad Nauseum player EOT Ad Nauses to try to find his Angels Grace. Hive mind player is at 14 from Ancient Tombs, realizes Ad Nauseum is mandatory, first card off the top is Emrakul...

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

I think this was in the fall of 2006 or so, there was a 10 Proxy Vintage tournament happening somewhere near SF. I was playing MeanDeck Gifts, because the deck was busted, 4 Merchant Scroll, 4 Gifts Ungiven, 4 Brainstorm, 4 Mana Drain, with Gifts packages for Tinker + Time Walk + Recoup + Yawg Will, where you Tinker for Darksteel Colossus, or a Gifts pile of Burning Wish + Yawg Will + Recoup + Hurkyl's Recall with Tendrils in the SB.

Luis Scott Vargas was my round 4 or 5 opponent (I was doing pretty well). He's playing 4 Mishra's Workshop, 4 Trinisphere, 4 Sphere of Resistance, Tanglewire, Smokestack, Crucible + artifact mid range creatures (I think Juggernauts and Su-Chi's, because Lodestone Golem hadn't been printed yet) and fatties (Sundering Titan).

My play testing had lead me to believe in this matchup that you'd rather counter the dudes than the lock pieces (the exception being Crucible since that gives them stupid hard locks with either Smokestack, or Strip Mine) because you're playing the control deck, and they're playing the beat down. Having to pay extra mana for something like Gifts and Tinker isn't really too bad, and you can Merchant Scroll up the Hurkyl's Recall to bounce their board.

He won game one, due to having too many must counter spells and did just enough to disrupt my mana to let his midrange guys win the game (I think he was on the play as well, which is obviously important in Vintage).

In game 2, I keep a 2 land hand with a Mana Drain, a FoW and no artifact mana, I think at least one is a fetchland, it's been over 10 years at this point. I run my fetch out on turn 1. His turn 1 is Workshop, Mox, Juggernaut. I Force of Will it. Not only from the playtesting leading me to believe that the guys that kill you are more important, but also, I don't think I have the goods to race a 4 turn clock if I'm going to be trying to counter stuff after that as well. I untap and draw Darksteel Colossus, without Brainstorm in hand. This could be bad. I play my land and say go. He untaps, plays another Workshop, plays another mox, and plays Sundering Titan into my Mana Drain. I rip mana number 3, and hardcast Darksteel Colossus. He immediately says "Let's go to game 3." (we're getting close to time in the round).

In game 3 he lands a turn 1 Crucible that I don't have FoW for, and then plays a Strip Mine. I don't immediately scoop, because there's a possibility for me to rip some artifact mana, and then play Tolarian Academy. When he plays the Sphere of Resistance though, I scoop it up, a draw would have probably hurt both of us.

This was back sometime in 2003, I believe (so "1.5"):

I was playing against Bob Kochis (or "Raider Bob," as he was known on The Source) - a good friend and local player in Syracuse. He was on Landstill, and I was on Sligh. He has, at one point, twenty land or so in play - all of which were nonbasic. He kept recurring Eternal Dragon and finding his lands.

He eventually hard-casts the Eternal Dragon. I drop Blood Moon, and I think I double-REB his counter(s). It resolves. Bob then asks how many cards I have in hand, which is one. He goes to attack the next turn. I Blood Lust his Eternal Dragon (making it a 9/1), and Mogg Fanatic it to close the deal.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Hard to believe I once played Grixis Delver. This is from a match against Lands at SCG Philly in Feb. 2016:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post934964

I probe him to find Exploration, Loam, Krosan Grip, Port, Tabernacle, and two other lands and my hand is Pithing Needle, Delver, two wastes and two fetches. Sigh. But I rip DRS and am able to keep my head above water by using DRS to pay for itself and still be able to cast spells and stuff. Loam gets surgicaled, but he has so many cards in his hand, there is a point where he wastes my Usea and Decays my DRS and passes to me and I have no permanents in play.

But I have trop-DRS in my hand, which I deploy and pass back. We play draw-go for a while and I eventually get out an Angler. Eventually my board is DRS-Angler-Trop-Wasteland and his is like 7 lands including Thespians Stage. He taps a lot of his lands for something... I think to copy a basic forest with his stage, then casts Gamble with his last land. I daze it. He is shocked but I simply ran out of stuff to board out and I thought Daze might be good against Primeval Titan. Back to me, I attack and pass back. My hand is two bolts and brainstorm.

On his turn, he uses stage to copy my wasteland, I response by wasting back so he can't kill Trop. but he drops another, and dark depths, makes marit lage, and passes back to me. I bolt EOT, dropping him to 6, and go to my turn with Trop, DRS, and Angler in play and Bolt-Brainstorm in hand. I have to brainstorm and find a land and Far/Away, then bounce Marit Lage. But instead I find Volcanic Island and bolt #3. DRS exiles a land and Bolts him, then I drop Volc and Bolt him for the win. So lucky.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Sudden death in a top 8 back when Wild nacatl was a card. Playing old naya Zoo against Goblins, he mulls down to 1 card on the play and passes. I keep five with a Chain Lightning, Kird ape, library, Path and Fetchland. Peel a plateau and toss the cards on the table. The judge actually farted. He was sitting next to me with everyone else left waiting on this match to end. I heard it. Going to the grave with that one.

Thread Information