Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Stompy

Green Stompy

So I'm diehard Stompy player. In fact I only play Stompy in Legacy. I now have a Stompy deck in every color and each color has something unique to offer to the archetype.

I was fooling around, trying to build a decent Green Stompy list (the only color I had yet to make a semi or very competitive list with), and I came across some decks that have been played in the Hareya tournament while perusing Google.

http://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/k/kD008368/

There is a more recent list, from January 2018 and you can find that deck on the same webpage.

I made my own changes, and I'm currently testing it to success. Since I just started testing it, I'm sure some adjustments will be made

Here is my version:

// Green Stompy

// 60 Maindeck
    // 17 Artifact
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Winter Orb
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Sylvan Caryatid
    1 Carnage Tyrant
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Terastodon
    1 Progenitus
    4 Wood Elves
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    9 Forest
    4 Garruk Wildspeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

// SIDEBOARD
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Powder Keg
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Cloudthresher
    2 Choke

I'm super excited about this deck, and I think it has great potential. Any comments, questions or suggestions, feel free to ask. Cheers.

Below are some cards I have considered or am considering for inclusion.

Ramunap Excavator
    Avenger of Zendikar
    Primeval Titan
    Tireless Tracker
    Courser of Kruphix
    Icy Manipulator
    Master of the Wild Hunt
    Thrashing Brontodon
    Scavenging Ooze
    Fauna Shaman
    Gigapede
    Ezuri's Brigade
    Warping Wail
    Damping Matrix
    Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    Cloudthresher
    Tajuru the Preserver

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Green Stompy

Worldspine Wurm seems pretty good.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

This looks like a ton of fun, but please sell me on why someone should play this over eldrazi?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    This looks like a ton of fun, but please sell me on why someone should play this over eldrazi?
    Green sun Zenith and choke are excellent. I'm not sold on winter orb md. Where is winter orb good but choke bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Reasons to play a non-eldrazi colored stompy:

• It doesn't die right away to blood moon (Dragon Stompy is a tier 1.5 deck);
    • It doesn't die right away to double wasteland (Delver decks are tier 1 in this metagame);
    • Eldrazi only has one intelligent creature (mr.Seer) and the rest are more or less vanilla void derplings. Stompy is all about beating but you can beat while doing other stuff too (e.g. denial recursion + draw engine + pressure in Tracker+Ramunap). Having smarter creatures will give you an edge against some opponents;
    • It can perhaps have more lategame potential which is an issue when playing eldrazi. Some games you just get outpowered and lose, e.g. against strixes, mentor and pyromancer;
    • Colorless gives limited card pool.

That being said, i'm not strictly advocating for a green stompy list or this particular one. But hey, you wanted reasons, there you hav'em.

First I want to say that I love this deck! The GSZ / NO toolbox puts it over the top. Also Winter Orb + Garruk is nuts. I've been running a slightly different shell and have had great success with it, but I think this list might be better. It completely wrecks a number decks in the gauntlet. I'd love to see more discussion and feedback.

Some cards worth testing and/or should be in the 75. First Scavenging Ooze and Thrashing Brontodon are easily fetched up with GSZ. I feel that they should at least be in the sideboard.

Other cards to consider. Some are one drops and don't work well with CotV but should be considered:
    Dragonlord Atarka
    Root Maze
    Hornet Queen
    Black Vise
    Thragtusk
    Lodestone Golem
    Thrun, the Last Troll
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

About 4 years ago I played this

3 thragtusk
    3 Titania, protector of argoth
    4 lodestone golem
    3 tarmogoyf
    4 elvish spirit guide
    1 thrun, the last troll
    1 master of the wild hunt
    1 sylvan safekeeper
    1 progenitus
    1 scavenging ooze
    1 wicker bough elder

4 chalice of the void
    4 tangle wire
    3 natural order
    3 green Sun's zenith
    1 zuran orb
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 sylvan library

2 dryad arbor
    1 horizon canopy
    3 verdant catacombs
    4 city of traitors
    3 ancient tomb
    1 snow-covered forest
    6 forest

SIDEBOARD
    3 phyrexian revoker
    3 trinisphere
    2 ratchet bomb
    1 umezawa's Jitte
    1 reclaimation sage
    1 eternal witness
    3 smokestack
    1 terastadon
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Weapon X, I remember this list. You had quite a bit of discussion going on over at mtgsalvation. That list is the list that inspired my Winter Maze deck, however my build ran Winter Orb + Root Maze synergies with Arbor Elf and Wild Growths over CotV + Sol Lands. I don't believe my list is superior though. It does do somethings that Stompy lists don't but versus Stompy lists Eldrazi etc.. it usually got stomped.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Lejay was doing something similar at the time too.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Although I'm a huge fan of green stompy, it's pretty much fallen out favour as red stompy is just better because of 8x blood moon. Green stompy always had more trouble preventing opponents from casting their spells and suffered from this because it had little to removal to handle threats (jitte is the only thing iirc. Here's an example of an old list: http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=143&iddeck=36685. The real powerhouse of the deck has always been natural order. I think the old build really suffers against the current metagame as garruk gets destroyed by pretty much everything. His impact on the field isn't great either.

Green has gotten some good tools recently, mainly revolving around lands. Ramunap Excavator is a cool green-sun target to recur wastelands complimenting trinisphere, and tireless tracker is a beast. Depending on the build you might want to consider mox diamond instead of chrome mox. Right now I would suggest something along the lines of this: http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=26596&iddeck=209065. It takes some ideas from Aggro Loam but remains a stompy deck similar to "Sylvan Plug" which was getting popular during the domination of Miracles. Consistency is increased by the addition of knight of the reliquary to tutor up answers and wastelands.

Now if you wanted to go down a more "classic stompy" road, you could find room for natural order. Another cool thing you could do is play skyshroud poacher / deranged hermit like Richard Feldman did during the Flash days in 2007. Link: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ive-2007-05-20. This is where I got the idea to implement Moggcatcher into red stompy, which proved to be very effective.
    Last edited by Blastoderm; 03-23-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post

Green has gotten some good tools recently, mainly revolving around lands. Ramunap Excavator is a cool green-sun target to recur wastelands complimenting trinisphere, and tireless tracker is a beast. Depending on the build you might want to consider mox diamond instead of chrome mox. Right now I would suggest something along the lines of this:
    HTML Code:
    http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=26596&iddeck=209065
    . It takes some ideas from Aggro Loam but remains a stompy deck similar to "Sylvan Plug" which was getting popular during the domination of Miracles. Consistency is increased by the addition of knight of the reliquary to tutor up answers and wastelands.
    It's probably terrible, but now I'm wondering if there's some viable crucible/excavator stompy approach using Crystal Vein and City of Traitors. I imagine you just end up with a bad aggro-loam though.

P.S.:
    You may want to use the URL rather than the HTML tag. http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=26596&iddeck=209065

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's probably terrible, but now I'm wondering if there's some viable crucible/excavator stompy approach using Crystal Vein and City of Traitors. I imagine you just end up with a bad aggro-loam though.

P.S.:
    You may want to use the URL rather than the HTML tag. http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=26596&iddeck=209065
    Thanks, I fixed my links.

I think the main appeal of Excavator is recurring wastelands and fetches if mana is an issue. Gives you an infinite blocker (dryad arbor) at the expense of a land drop each turn. The biggest problem with stompy decks has always been consistency, dealing with spells that resolve, and... beating show and tell . Knight of the Reliquary can add some consistency by tutoring up important lands. Sylvan library and green sun's zenith also provide more consistency relative to previous green stompy lists. Toxic deluge destroys everything including a show and tell'ed Emrakul, life permitting. Adding in dark depths (as 1-ofs) and natural order would be pretty cool because who doesn't want to play marit lage and progenitus in the same deck?!

Here's my most current list of Winter Maze. It's got some nice synergies such as a soft lock with Winter Orb and Root Maze and you can crank out an insane amount of mana fast with Wild Growth + Utopia Sprawl + Arbor Elf. It's good match ups are Delver variants and D&T but it's bad match ups are Combo and Stompy lists. Not fully recommending this deck but it has some juicy synergies that some of you might be able to borrow in helping make Green Stompy a thing. Here's the list:

Creature (17)
    4x Arbor Elf
    1x Carnage Tyrant
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    1x Hornet Queen
    2x Masticore
    1x Progenitus
    1x Quirion Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrashing Brontodon

Enchantment (12)
    4x Root Maze
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Wild Growth

Land (14)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    13x Forest

Sorcery (8)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order

Artifact (6)
    2x Trinisphere
    4x Winter Orb

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard (15)
    3x Cursed Totem
    1x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Krosan Grip
    2x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Pithing Needle
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Acidic Slime
    1x Xantid Swarm

Here is the list of "Maybe" cards I was tinkering around with that can hopefully help any of you brewers. Stuff like Village Survivors and other cards were on the list to synergize with stuff like Freyalise's Winds etc.. Anyway, hope this helps you guys out.

Chancellor of the Tangle
    Hermit Druid
    Masticore
    Murkfiend Liege
    Roaring Primadox
    Seedborn Muse
    Stampeding Serow
    Village Survivors
    Vorapede
    Elephant Grass
    Freyalise's Winds
    Hidden Gibbons
    Nature's Will
    Pattern of Rebirth
    Primal Order
    Quest for Renewal
    Mobilize
    Rude Awakening
    Mana Web
    Paradox Engine
    Powder Keg
    Ratchet Bomb
    Benefactor's Draught
    Fog
    Vitalize
    Sylvan Library

EDIT: And btw, R3ndr0c I've been goldfishing your list and it feels strong! Sometimes I feel like I need more low cc threats to search out with GSZ but some of the opening hands are brutal! Natural Order is a bomb.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I'll throw out some praise for Titania of argoth. Just playing fetchlands gives you a very fast clock from just playing a single card.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    Here's my most current list of Winter Maze. It's got some nice synergies such as a soft lock with Winter Orb and Root Maze and you can crank out an insane amount of mana fast with Wild Growth + Utopia Sprawl + Arbor Elf. It's good match ups are Delver variants and D&T but it's bad match ups are Combo and Stompy lists. Not fully recommending this deck but it has some juicy synergies that some of you might be able to borrow in helping make Green Stompy a thing. Here's the list:

Creature (17)
    4x Arbor Elf
    1x Carnage Tyrant
    1x Dragonlord Atarka
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    1x Hornet Queen
    2x Masticore
    1x Progenitus
    1x Quirion Ranger
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Thrashing Brontodon

Enchantment (12)
    4x Root Maze
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    4x Wild Growth

Land (14)
    1x Dryad Arbor
    13x Forest

Sorcery (8)
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Natural Order

Artifact (6)
    2x Trinisphere
    4x Winter Orb

Planeswalker (3)
    3x Garruk Wildspeaker

Sideboard (15)
    3x Cursed Totem
    1x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Krosan Grip
    2x Mindbreak Trap
    1x Pithing Needle
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Acidic Slime
    1x Xantid Swarm

Here is the list of "Maybe" cards I was tinkering around with that can hopefully help any of you brewers. Stuff like Village Survivors and other cards were on the list to synergize with stuff like Freyalise's Winds etc.. Anyway, hope this helps you guys out.

Chancellor of the Tangle
    Hermit Druid
    Masticore
    Murkfiend Liege
    Roaring Primadox
    Seedborn Muse
    Stampeding Serow
    Village Survivors
    Vorapede
    Elephant Grass
    Freyalise's Winds
    Hidden Gibbons
    Nature's Will
    Pattern of Rebirth
    Primal Order
    Quest for Renewal
    Mobilize
    Rude Awakening
    Mana Web
    Paradox Engine
    Powder Keg
    Ratchet Bomb
    Benefactor's Draught
    Fog
    Vitalize
    Sylvan Library

EDIT: And btw, R3ndr0c I've been goldfishing your list and it feels strong! Sometimes I feel like I need more low cc threats to search out with GSZ but some of the opening hands are brutal! Natural Order is a bomb.
    I really like the look of this list. Having a cheap manabase is very appealing as well. Im going to give this a crack over the next month or so, it looks like fun. Thanks for posting!

maybe too cute but you could try painter's servant (name green) + NatOrder for Iona to win the game on the spot. though if you go that route then you may as well play grindstone so you can just combo people out extra easy, and that conflicts with chalice... dunno, i guess i just like the painters + iona interaction, and this deck seems like it could use it

looking at your top list, it seems like you have a LOT of fast mana. Chrome mox, elvish spirit guide I get, and maybe wood elves since you're doing the winter orb thing, but that on top of sylvan caryatid seems like a lot. could probably shave a little of those. Carnage Tyrant seems like overkill also; progenitus does everything he does except be sort of castable, so why give up a slot for the dinosaur?

I've done my share of stuff with Winter Orb and I think it's a sweet card. I also don't think it's great, especially against Delver decks, vial decks, or combo decks, many of which can win or at least operate reasonably well with 1-2 lands. But if we set those decks aside, then Orb is really only particularly powerful against Miracles, 4c control, and fringe things like Nic Fit. Not that it does nothing in other matchups, just that it doesn't seem particularly amazing. Plus we actually play some relatively expensive things, so if we don't have Garruk it seems like it will hurt us a non-zero amount. also if we replace it with a non-artifact card then we reduce the chance of have chrome mox with nothing it imprint.

Maybe a couple fetches wouldn't hurt? could be useful to grab a Dryad Arbor more easily when necessary.

Ezuri's Brigade is a hell of a finisher if you play this mana artifacts, and Tangle Wire is a shorter-term but more brutal Winter orb. If you go more aggro I'd include those two.

Sylvan Library seems awesome in this deck, since it gives Stompy decks what they traditionally lack - card selection

ok last thing since i'm just daydreaming about the deck idea - how about a monogreen semi-staxish list? quite similar to this, but more controlly and grindy? Here's a mega-rough list:

3 city
    4 tomb
    1 tabernacle
    1 maze of ith
    4 wasteland
    1 inventor's fair
    8 forest
    1 dryad arbor

4 chalice
    4 trinisphere
    4 mox diamond
    2 elvish spirit guide
    3 ensnaring bridge
    3 smokestack

4 garruk wildspeaker
    1 nissa, vital force

2 ramunap excavator
    3 more good green sun's targets (maybe scooze, rec sage, and a heavy hitting token maker?)

4 green sun's zenith
    3 sylvan scrying

ok so i'm drawing a blank on what other good green creatures could be included but I know there are some the overall idea being to use Garruk as a way of offset smokestack more than a way to offset winter orb. smokestack actually punishes the low-resource decks more than winter orb, and gives you more of a maindeck answer to creatures (tho i guess NO for Progenitus is an answer to creatures ) Green Sun and Sylvan Scrying give you access to two strong toolboxes, and Excavator plays the role of Crucible in traditional Stax lists.

Anyway just a thought. I think overall green stompy is just a cool deck idea, glad someone is working on it
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Let's play 4 choke in the main.

Seems like a good main card deck in the currently meta.

Why don't you try out sylvan libraries and Words of wilding? If you are in green and are looking for a way to produce multiple permanents consistently each turn with just green, it's a strong option. Libraries are good on their own and words of wilding is fine just sitting there if the combo isn't online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Why don't you try out sylvan libraries and Words of wilding? If you are in green and are looking for a way to produce multiple permanents consistently each turn with just green, it's a strong option. Libraries are good on their own and words of wilding is fine just sitting there if the combo isn't online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I'm thinking about taking a moon stompy shell and replace the blood moons with Chokes and the simian spirit guides with Elvish Spirit Guides.

Maybe include a green sun package?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

There's a Sylvan Plug thread somewhere that could give you some ideas. I created a Natural Order Stompy thread a while back as well. Off the top of my head, my list was something similar to the following:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Dryad Arbor
    2 Bayou
    3 Forest

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Obstinate Baloth
    1 Tireless Tracker
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    1 Terastodon
    1 Progenitus

3 Sylvan Library

4 Natural Order

1 Garruk Relentless

1 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Choke
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Krosan Grip
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Elderscale Wurm

This was a few years ago, so obviously there will be some updates. Hope this helps.

Thread Information