Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
3 or so years ago I invested enough money in MTGO to build my main Legacy and Modern decks (all Ancient Tomb variants, Tron & Humans in Modern) - about $1000? - and since then I've made back that money and made more than double that in profit, and now have enough play points and tickets that I will never need to spend money on MTGO ever again and I'll still be able to enter any tournament or league I want.

And while I consider myself to be an above-average player, I'm nowhere near a Top-8 or even a top-32 Modern/Legacy player. But I've managed to play for free and even make a profit. Whereas if I was playing Standard on MTG Arena, I'd literally have to be one of the top EIGHT players in the whole world for that season to get anything out of the game other than a few hazy memories. Sure, if you're literally the best of the best it might be worthwhile to grind it all day, but if you're just a "good" player you can get far more out of MTGO than Arena.
Still, you have to be a good player to get a return, and you need to invest some money.
And on MTGA i have a good return, i can play the game i love for free!!