Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Interesting. As a predominantly Modern player now I worry Historic will be a planeswalker nightmare fest of epic proportions. Standard is already mind-numbingly bad right now and they typically don't print good answers to planeswalkers, at least ones that are better than just playing planeswalkers yourself.

I'll be happy to have a more consistent choice of draft formats at least. The way they've been running them lately have been a cash grab.
    I'm quite enjoying standard. It is PW-heavy of course but that makes it kinda interesting for now at least (might well be bored of it by the end of the year), but mainly I am enjoying being able to draft for free. The game doesn't rly feel like a cash grab, it's pretty generous compared to other F2P games.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

tze client drives me crazy.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    tze client drives me crazy.
    You're not alone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...e_inexcusable/

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    I'd say I lose around 3 games a week to the client. That said, I could solve 90% of those issues by running in full command mode all the time, but honestly, I'd rather take the losses than deal with that much nonsense.

The biggest change I'd love to see is some kind of chess clock added to the timeout system. That would be enough to punish the slow players (and idiots looping Nexus for 7 turns without ever advancing their board state or in some cases, even including any wincons in their deck).

Agreed that Historic is going to be a shitcan format. They desperately need to start printing more answers to 'Walkers in all colors, and those answers honestly need to generally come with some kind of benefit - either cards or life or mana or something attached to them.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

my main problem is not the performance, but the controls. skip turn avtually either does nothing or skips my turn or. often i lose track whose turn it actually is.
    also the timeout system is shit. do you really need 30sec to decide to mulligan?
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I'd say I lose around 3 games a week to the client. That said, I could solve 90% of those issues by running in full command mode all the time, but honestly, I'd rather take the losses than deal with that much nonsense.

The biggest change I'd love to see is some kind of chess clock added to the timeout system. That would be enough to punish the slow players (and idiots looping Nexus for 7 turns without ever advancing their board state or in some cases, even including any wincons in their deck).

Agreed that Historic is going to be a shitcan format. They desperately need to start printing more answers to 'Walkers in all colors, and those answers honestly need to generally come with some kind of benefit - either cards or life or mana or something attached to them.
    They've already added a chess clock.

The big issue is the performance which is shonky as hell, particularly when you get disconnected or the client crashes it takes so long to get back into the game that you've already lost most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    They've already added a chess clock.

The big issue is the performance which is shonky as hell, particularly when you get disconnected or the client crashes it takes so long to get back into the game that you've already lost most of the time.
    Where the hell is it? I'd happily go do something and let "30 turns with no action" Nexus guy play with himself while timing out, but I don't see a clock anywhere on the interface.

Agreed the last patch seems to have added a very large amount of performance issues. It's like MTG v.2.0 when they would hit max players after a release dropped.

Historic, without ranked support, is DOA. To start with, it will be irrelevant for anyone starting arena since they have zero incentive to play it as opposed to standard that actually gives them some rewards. New people will have to either grind insanely to get new cards or pay top dollar for a non-competitive nor ranked format. Without ranked play and rewards, existing players will have zero incentive to play it since they are effectively wasting time they could spend grinding rewards for standard decks or advancing in the standard ladder.

In summary, they did the bare minimum they could get away with to be able to say 'look, you can still your old cards in this format!'.

Where the hell is it? I'd happily go do something and let "30 turns with no action" Nexus guy play with himself while timing out, but I don't see a clock anywhere on the interface.

Agreed the last patch seems to have added a very large amount of performance issues. It's like MTG v.2.0 when they would hit max players after a release dropped.
    Yeah it's not displayed in the UI for some totally unknown reason (classic WotC really) but if you use a tracker with an overlay it will show you the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Historic, without ranked support, is DOA. To start with, it will be irrelevant for anyone starting arena since they have zero incentive to play it as opposed to standard that actually gives them some rewards. New people will have to either grind insanely to get new cards or pay top dollar for a non-competitive nor ranked format. Without ranked play and rewards, existing players will have zero incentive to play it since they are effectively wasting time they could spend grinding rewards for standard decks or advancing in the standard ladder.

In summary, they did the bare minimum they could get away with to be able to say 'look, you can still your old cards in this format!'.
    Doesn't even need ranked initially just some sort of 5-win tournament structure with gold and ICR prizes like they already have for Standard. Hopefully they will see sense and at least do that before it goes live.

They need to allow people to make real money playing Arena outside of the Top-8 players in the world or whoever is qualified for the MPL based on it.

I can make $8-$16 an hour playing Magic Online Modern/Legacy leagues. That may not be good enough as a full time job but it's an excellent way to monetize my hobby because I have fun playing the game even when it's not making me any money. But the secondary market on MTGO and the ability to convert prizes into US dollars makes MTGO so much better, in my eyes, than Arena. And if you spike any big tournament on MTGO (like a Challenge, or a Playoff, or MCQ, or a Qualifier, etc), the payout is in the hundreds of dollars for the top8 and sometimes even the top16.

You can grind Arena for hours every day for months and have absolutely nothing to show for it. You can grind MTGO for hours every day and if you're a even just a semi-decent player you can actually have a positive cash flow to show for it, and if you're a good to great player you can make hundreds of dollars every month playing it.

Right now in my eyes, Arena only has one thing going for it: pretty graphics and nicer UI. That's it. MTGO has better formats and actual cash incentives to play.

If Arena had a similar secondary market or even just some Wizards designed payout system that lets you convert wins into tickets that could be sold for cash, then I'd go back to playing it. But even though I sunk $200 into Arena when it first came out, I haven't touched it in months. Life's too short to throw away time on something that really doesn't net you much in the end.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Mtg is a hobby. It doesn't need to be a "job". This previous post is just absurd.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Right now in my eyes, Arena only has one thing going for it: pretty graphics and nicer UI. That's it. MTGO has better formats and actual cash incentives to play.
    What MtGA has going for it is that you can play online without having to spend a ton of money, even if it is only Standard and Drafts at the moment.

I never really got into MTGO because I just don't want to be spending a ton of cash on database entries when I could buy real cards instead and play in a social environment for basically the same cost. But I have played a ton of MtGA and done maybe 100 drafts for a grand total spend of $20.

Maybe you were making money out of MTGO but that's not the case for the vast majority of players and most people don't want to be spending hundreds of pounds every few months to keep up with standard in virtual cards, or to draft virtual cards.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

They need to allow people to make real money playing Arena outside of the Top-8 players in the world or whoever is qualified for the MPL based on it.

I can make $8-$16 an hour playing Magic Online Modern/Legacy leagues. That may not be good enough as a full time job but it's an excellent way to monetize my hobby because I have fun playing the game even when it's not making me any money. But the secondary market on MTGO and the ability to convert prizes into US dollars makes MTGO so much better, in my eyes, than Arena. And if you spike any big tournament on MTGO (like a Challenge, or a Playoff, or MCQ, or a Qualifier, etc), the payout is in the hundreds of dollars for the top8 and sometimes even the top16.

You can grind Arena for hours every day for months and have absolutely nothing to show for it. You can grind MTGO for hours every day and if you're a even just a semi-decent player you can actually have a positive cash flow to show for it, and if you're a good to great player you can make hundreds of dollars every month playing it.

If Arena had a similar secondary market or even just some Wizards designed payout system that lets you convert wins into tickets that could be sold for cash, then I'd go back to playing it. But even though I sunk $200 into Arena when it first came out, I haven't touched it in months. Life's too short to throw away time on something that really doesn't net you much in the end.
    MTGA is for casual players, MTGO for grinders.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Mtg is a hobby. It doesn't need to be a "job". This previous post is just absurd.
    Any time you can monetize your hobby it's not a bad thing, imho.

Would you rather play Magic completely for free or be compensated (in any way) for playing the game? Why do people play in Magic tournaments for cash prizes when they could just be playing at the kitchen table instead?
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

What MtGA has going for it is that you can play online without having to spend a ton of money, even if it is only Standard and Drafts at the moment.

I never really got into MTGO because I just don't want to be spending a ton of cash on database entries when I could buy real cards instead and play in a social environment for basically the same cost. But I have played a ton of MtGA and done maybe 100 drafts for a grand total spend of $20.

Maybe you were making money out of MTGO but that's not the case for the vast majority of players and most people don't want to be spending hundreds of pounds every few months to keep up with standard in virtual cards, or to draft virtual cards.
    I haven't put any money into MTGO in years.

Whereas with Arena, to keep playing competitive Standard decks I'm going to inevitably have to buy the latest packs, or play like 8+ hours a day to get enough crystals to buy packs. I can't just build a deck with prize winnings, I have to keep buying packs. On MTGO with all of the event tix I've saved up, if I want to tune a deck or build a new one, I can just hit the tradebots for the cards I need and I don't have to really invest any more money into it, and then when I'm through with those cards I can just re-sell them. There exists no way to regain lost value in Arena.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

I haven't put any money in MTG Arena at all and I can build at least 1 top tier deck at the release of a new extension although i'm only playing until i reach 4 daily wins (1 hour per day, essentially drafting). I'm pretty sure a good player would be able to build 2 or 3 decks because he could have way more better results than me, WITHOUT PAYING ANYTHING.

I never played MTGO because you had to pay to play.

(If MTGO was free, i'd play MTGO just to be able to play History drafts, Modern and legacy... :( )

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I haven't put any money in MTG Arena at all and I can build at least 1 top tier deck at the release of a new extension although i'm only playing until i reach 4 daily wins (1 hour per day, essentially drafting). I'm pretty sure a good player would be able to build 2 or 3 decks because he could have way more better results than me, WITHOUT PAYING ANYTHING.
    I made an Arena account just to "collect" any free things I could find.

How does one do this though? As in, what deck do you start with that can even get to 4 wins? Sorry for super-noob questions.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Whereas with Arena, to keep playing competitive Standard decks I'm going to inevitably have to buy the latest packs, or play like 8+ hours a day to get enough crystals to buy packs. I can't just build a deck with prize winnings, I have to keep buying packs. On MTGO with all of the event tix I've saved up, if I want to tune a deck or build a new one, I can just hit the tradebots for the cards I need and I don't have to really invest any more money into it, and then when I'm through with those cards I can just re-sell them. There exists no way to regain lost value in Arena.
    At some point you will have put money into MtGO, and probably a substantial sum of money, wheras you don't need to put any money into MtGA to play.

And I've got several standard decks and do loads of drafts and, as mentioned, have only spent $20 on two intro bundles. I don't play even close to 8 hours a day, maybe 1 hour two or three times a week as I have a small baby. The cost required to play MtGA is tiny compared to MtGO in almost all cases.

At some point you will have put money into MtGO, and probably a substantial sum of money, wheras you don't need to put any money into MtGA to play.

And I've got several standard decks and do loads of drafts and, as mentioned, have only spent $20 on two intro bundles. I don't play even close to 8 hours a day, maybe 1 hour two or three times a week as I have a small baby. The cost required to play MtGA is tiny compared to MtGO in almost all cases.
    3 or so years ago I invested enough money in MTGO to build my main Legacy and Modern decks (all Ancient Tomb variants, Tron & Humans in Modern) - about $1000? - and since then I've made back that money and made more than double that in profit, and now have enough play points and tickets that I will never need to spend money on MTGO ever again and I'll still be able to enter any tournament or league I want.

And while I consider myself to be an above-average player, I'm nowhere near a Top-8 or even a top-32 Modern/Legacy player. But I've managed to play for free and even make a profit. Whereas if I was playing Standard on MTG Arena, I'd literally have to be one of the top EIGHT players in the whole world for that season to get anything out of the game other than a few hazy memories. Sure, if you're literally the best of the best it might be worthwhile to grind it all day, but if you're just a "good" player you can get far more out of MTGO than Arena.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Thread Information