Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Agree. Isn't the stack actually roughly based on a literal computer stack? Magic card text is practically pseudocode.
    yea i thought about that as well. anyone know what that batch method was based off of?
    -rob

Objects, event handlers, and a call stack? Sounds like .NET to me.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    They're digital objects, if you use supply and demand everything would be free because the supply is infinite.
    false. The supply has to come from somewhere and WOTC is the only source. If they only release supply when items are purchased that would limit supply. So supply is not infinite...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

The big Arena crash on MODO appears to be over, at least for now. The price of a complete MODO collection finally went up $300 this week. Since Arena launched that number has dropped by over $10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The big Arena crash on MODO appears to be over, at least for now. The price of a complete MODO collection finally went up $300 this week. Since Arena launched that number has dropped by over $10,000.
    Yeah, I got really happy of having bailed out when I did. When / If, they find some form of dealing with rotation in Arena (ie, a format for you to use cards leaving the rotation) the crash will probably come back.

Of they don’t allow free portability of the cards I would feel scammed.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

https://twitter.com/PlayArtifact/sta...59077990981632

While Artifact's gameplay is nothing for me (too slow, too limited), I have to say that Valve knows how to monetize the shit out of it (in a positive way). The auction house integration into the marketplace is flawless. And the ability to convert any of 20 cards into an event ticket (which is worth 1$) makes sure to get rid of chaff, as you can buy them from other players (and it's slightly cheaper than buying event tickets). And with each transaction, Valve takes a cut.

Color me impressed.

Meanwhile, WotC is still flailing around how to solve the 5th card problem or the Standard rotation due to incompetence and greed. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve's earnings would be higher than Arena's, even with a much smaller playerbase.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAc7Z3u78L8

I was not able to Watch the video behind the link (Beware you'll perhaps be rickrolled) but from the few information i received from others, there will be a duplicate protection (Once y'ouve opened a rare / mythic 4 times you cannot open it anymore) and if you have a full set, duplicate rares/ mythic will give you gems.
    Also, best of 3 in ranked.

This sounds better than before!

Discuss

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

not much to discuss. for some player it will turn out better for others not so much.

for a f2p user you are unlikely to get a full collection to profit from the changes. if anything it will take longer to open the vault now, so less wildcards and more craprares

also getting 20gems back for a pack that costs 200gems is pretty bad. a fifth mythic should refund the whole pack and a 5th rare maybe 100gems. mind that you already need a full set to get any gems in the first place.

at the same time they reduce prices, before you could "buy" rarecards for 500gold in the events, which is better than buying packs once you own all the neccessary commons and uncommons

they basically reduce payout and found a way to switch stuff around in a way the playerbase doesnt notice
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Mar 2007

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...verseid=205065

So with the new update, they gave Ajani's Pridemate a functional errata (in Paper, nonetheless) by making its ability non-optional - probably to speed up gameplay on Arena. Wouldn't be surprising to see similiar changes in the future, or more cards designed with Arena in mind, like Rakdos, Showstopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

So with the new update, they gave Ajani's Pridemate a functional errata (in Paper, nonetheless) by making its ability non-optional - probably to speed up gameplay on Arena. Wouldn't be surprising to see similiar changes in the future, or more cards designed with Arena in mind, like Rakdos, Showstopper.
    I'm in mid-platinum and I would honestly say about 20-30% of games are decided by the interface fucking up, both for and against me. Just incredibly simple things like not giving you a chance to cast a spell after you hit "End Turn" to set off Teferi's untap trigger. Or the fact that you can't see the lands highlighted by autotap because the card/effect is taking up the whole screen, etc. etc.

That stuff is going to be a real problem whenever they try to run a tournament on Arena and it happens LIVE.

EDIT: of course, caveat about Platinum, I'm winning games here with a deck I named 4 color trash and a Guildgates deck, soooo, not necessarily the most competitive scene.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 01-19-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Wow. That is a real departure from policy for at least the past ten years. They had been removing errata from most cards to make them work like they appear. Wotc will have to slide a reprint into a set coming up.

On a different note, a friend of mine who certainly knows what he is talking about tells me he thinks Arena is the future of Magic. How do you all feel about that statement?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Wow. That is a real departure from policy for at least the past ten years. They had been removing errata from most cards to make them work like they appear. Wotc will have to slide a reprint into a set coming up.

On a different note, a friend of mine who certainly knows what he is talking about tells me he thinks Arena is the future of Magic. How do you all feel about that statement?
    He's wrong.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I think the classic tabletop is doomed anyways due to various factors ranging from time/money investment to participate in decent sized tournaments, the overall state of formats like Vintage or Legacy in local scenes, cheating, venue size, etc.

Moving MTG in all its forms online is the games future, but for pretty much all other compeditors in the market its already the present. WotC biggest fail is that the game in its current form isnt really accessible or designed for the online world and WotC being totally incompetent to grasp the potential of online gaming for a fucking decade so they are now entering a market already flooded by better digital card games.

So in general, i would agree with your friend, but i would also claim that MTG is also too clunky and inferior by todays standards to compete with Hearthstone & Co.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I disagree. EDH is one of the most popular ways to play, and it doesn't play well without a table.

I'll concede that Arena may be the future of Standard.

Everything that doesn’t need the fisiology of the body will go online.

The only question is: will they gift us the cards we own in MTGO or they are just wasted money?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    The only question is: will they gift us the cards we own in MTGO or they are just wasted money?
    100% wasted money. They have shown with their past Duels of the Planeswalker products that they do not give a single fuck. Why else would they make you pay for the same card multiple times?

The better question is how big the fallout from this is going to be.

Prices have already super dropped on MTGO because of this.

I am not sure I am going to invest anymore in MTG in case they give me such a default.

100% wasted money. They have shown with their past Duels of the Planeswalker products that they do not give a single fuck. Why else would they make you pay for the same card multiple times?

The better question is how big the fallout from this is going to be.
    Price have already crashed more than 50% on MODO since Arena hit. The fallout already happened, and it wasn't much.

MTG Arena is the best Magic the Gathering software that has ever existed.

It's more fun for me than playing MTGO or even paper magic.

If Legacy and Modern were available on Arena I would sell off my MTGO account and delete MTGO from my computer. As it is, I play about 50% Arena and 50% MTGO (only for Modern and Legacy). I have more fun playing Arena most times than playing MTGO and I was NEVER a big Standard player.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Thread Information