Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    3 or so years ago I invested enough money in MTGO to build my main Legacy and Modern decks (all Ancient Tomb variants, Tron & Humans in Modern) - about $1000? - and since then I've made back that money and made more than double that in profit, and now have enough play points and tickets that I will never need to spend money on MTGO ever again and I'll still be able to enter any tournament or league I want.

And while I consider myself to be an above-average player, I'm nowhere near a Top-8 or even a top-32 Modern/Legacy player. But I've managed to play for free and even make a profit. Whereas if I was playing Standard on MTG Arena, I'd literally have to be one of the top EIGHT players in the whole world for that season to get anything out of the game other than a few hazy memories. Sure, if you're literally the best of the best it might be worthwhile to grind it all day, but if you're just a "good" player you can get far more out of MTGO than Arena.
    Still, you have to be a good player to get a return, and you need to invest some money.
    And on MTGA i have a good return, i can play the game i love for free!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    3 or so years ago I invested enough money in MTGO to build my main Legacy and Modern decks (all Ancient Tomb variants, Tron & Humans in Modern) - about $1000? - and since then I've made back that money and made more than double that in profit, and now have enough play points and tickets that I will never need to spend money on MTGO ever again and I'll still be able to enter any tournament or league I want.

And while I consider myself to be an above-average player, I'm nowhere near a Top-8 or even a top-32 Modern/Legacy player. But I've managed to play for free and even make a profit. Whereas if I was playing Standard on MTG Arena, I'd literally have to be one of the top EIGHT players in the whole world for that season to get anything out of the game other than a few hazy memories. Sure, if you're literally the best of the best it might be worthwhile to grind it all day, but if you're just a "good" player you can get far more out of MTGO than Arena.
    Okay but your experience of making money will not apply to most people, and even if it did most people will balk at the idea of investing $1000 in digital cards as an upfront cost.

I play MtG because I enjoy it and MtGA is a way to do that in the comfort of my own home for very little cost, I don't need to make money out of it and I suspect that applies to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Still, you have to be a good player to get a return, and you need to invest some money.
    And on MTGA i have a good return, i can play the game i love for free!!

But it's not really free if you want to play competitive decks.

I'm a good player and I've found that even though I was playing pretty frequently on ranked ladder, to stay competitive and build the best decks I'd have to buy packs with real money when new sets rotated in. There was no way around that that I could see, barring playing alot more which is not very feasible if you have a full-time job and other responsibilities. And then if certain decks were no longer good, there was no way for me to trade unused Mythics and Rares in for new ones - they just rotted in my collection when I had to move to a better standard deck. Whereas with MTGO I can play as little or as much as I want and I still get a return on my investment and stay competitive in Eternal formats with the decks I've built, and if I no longer like a deck I can sell off the pieces and invest in a different deck with the tickets I received, or just keep it as cash.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

with xmage and cockatrice even modo around i see zero reason to invest a single penny in arena. besides all formats are crap with all those planeswalker around.
    its not player vs player anymore, its just handling planeswalker now.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

To play a 'friendly , 'non-competitive' format, you will pay more than to play a competitive one. Yup. Makes total sense.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...rds_costing_2/

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    To play a 'friendly , 'non-competitive' format, you will pay more than to play a competitive one. Yup. Makes total sense.

Meh, Standard is meant to be the core of Arena. If they make its eternal format too tempting then they will detract attention from Standard.

That's an incredibly wizards decision. Let's take our most accessible form of the game and fuck it up so it's hostile to new players.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    That's an incredibly wizards decision. Let's take our most accessible form of the game and fuck it up so it's hostile to new players.
    "let's take what's going to be an intimidating format to new players and keep them out of it on Baby's First Online Magic.exe" seems like a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    "let's take what's going to be an intimidating format to new players and keep them out of it on Baby's First Online Magic.exe" seems like a good decision.
    Further to this, I asked redditors what old cards they'd like to see added to historic and loads of them said "nothing, I don't want anything that hasn't been in Arena standard" so it seems many of them only want to play super linear magic with no interesting interactions.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    This seems reasonable, since the few matches I've played online, opponents concede when the first creature removal gets played, guess they've crunched the data to find it's a better use of their time to shop for low hanging fruit then to slog out a game. Since there's no penalty for it (and no reward for winning really) it does make some sense I guess.
    I haven't put any money into the game and hardly any time, so I've yet to experience the events behind the paywall, but I imagine once you pay to enter, you take your time inside a bit less callously.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

wow, so legendary and artifact craftin prices have doubled? or what it historic? nvm googled it. pretty confusing name though.

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    wow, so legendary and artifact craftin prices have doubled? or what it historic? nvm googled it. pretty confusing name though.
    Only doubled for stuff that has cycled out of Standard. Though given the copious amount of complaining about it I expect WotC will U-turn within a month.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

why do ppl get upset. if you play a cashgrab expect your cash grabbed.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    why do ppl get upset. if you play a cashgrab expect your cash grabbed.
    Because some of them play it for free and that this format is supposed to be more casual and not to need a lot of investement?

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Because some of them play it for free and that this format is supposed to be more casual and not to need a lot of investement?
    I think the bigger issue is they are creating a new format and, in the same breath, killing it off by making it excessively expensive to take part in.

But then, the fact people still play Legacy despite lack of interest from WotC and huge costs involved indicates that people will probably enjoy the format despite WotC.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I think the bigger issue is they are creating a new format and, in the same breath, killing it off by making it excessively expensive to take part in.

But then, the fact people still play Legacy despite lack of interest from WotC and huge costs involved indicates that people will probably enjoy the format despite WotC.
    Pretty sure the thought process is let's give them something to do with their MTGA cards that rotated out of Standard as opposed to let's give them a whole new format so they can ignore Standard. MTGA is built to draft Standard sets and play Standard constructive. This is just a nice side format to play with your older cards. I'm sure if it catches on it will be made more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    Pretty sure the thought process is let's give them something to do with their MTGA cards that rotated out of Standard as opposed to let's give them a whole new format so they can ignore Standard. MTGA is built to draft Standard sets and play Standard constructive. This is just a nice side format to play with your older cards. I'm sure if it catches on it will be made more accessible.
    Yeah I get that, but given much of the MTGA playerbase is fairly new to MtG and unfamiliar with set rotations and the generally high costs of paper magic it just seems like they're giving them a bad impression with this move.

Yeah I get that, but given much of the MTGA playerbase is fairly new to MtG and unfamiliar with set rotations and the generally high costs of paper magic it just seems like they're giving them a bad impression with this move.
    People are taking it really well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...breaking_them/

Aye, but OTT outrage at everything is pretty standard for that sub.

Aye, but OTT outrage at everything is pretty standard for that sub.
    How about this one:

https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/59603

Thread Information