Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There's going to be an account wipe. RtRtR would be the logical point to do it, but then again, we're talking about Wizards here.
    Don't forget, last week they eliminated Bo3 (Best of three matches w/sideboard) from the client, then realized they had to put it back in because that's literally what MtG is.

Oh, and the client is still occasionally wiping hard drives if you try to uninstall it.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

That whole debacle was funny, not only because it's something WOTC will add back in later anyways (so whats the point in removing it) but the player base is so casual that I question why they even gave a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

So yesterday, WotC had a bunch of cryptic 9.19 statements on their Arena account on Twitter.

Crickets on the forums about whatever it is so far. I'll let ya'll know if it turns out to be anything or they're just being their usual cocked up selves.

EDIT: Here's a link to the official announcement: https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...-27-2018-09-19

Highlights:

Open Beta on the 27th, full RtRtR.

Last account wipe hits everyone.

Progression will still be trash because they haven't figured out a solution to the fifth card problem yet, but it's better than it was earlier in the beta.

Some "select" Ravnica physical product will have digital codes in it.

If you were in the beta, you get 1 copy each of the fancy, full art 'walkers - Teferi, Ral, Vraska.

No word yet on what happens to your stuff after rotation, as expected, they're kicking that can down the road a year.

It's the (potentially) last wipe and the transition into open beta (= release). Plus some extra stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...beta_announce/

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post

No word yet on what happens to your stuff after rotation, as expected, they're kicking that can down the road a year.
    And that's a bit of a bummer as I was expecting at least an idea of what was going to be done. Without any idea, we'll all flock into the best standard deck without any other considerations in collection building.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    open beta (= release)
    Everything wrong with modern software development expressed in three words
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    Everything wrong with modern software development expressed in three words
    No dude, it's just 1 word and that word is Agile.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    And that's a bit of a bummer as I was expecting at least an idea of what was going to be done. Without any idea, we'll all flock into the best standard deck without any other considerations in collection building.
    I dunno, I've been having an unexpected blast playing mono U storm in Standard. I have accumulated enough other cards to probably make 1 other high tier Standard deck but don't really want to win with creatures or slow control.

The only change I really wish they had is to make some of the silly events free, I'm not spending my gold to play something as stupid as Standard Momir, but I'd probably mess around in there if they didn't try to make it competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    .... but I'd probably mess around in there if they didn't try to make it competitive.
    Don't bother. It's a heck of a crappy experience (standard momir). First player to 9 mana wins.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

One thing that really annoys me since the release of Arena (and let's face it, the open beta is just a name to justify putting out an unfinished product) is not being able to find good magic streams anymore. Everything plastered with a) paid shills or b) people with < 20 viewers, most even in the < 5 viewers range. There are currently 40 Arena streams up with 1 or 0 viewers and 88 Arena streams with <20 viewers. Wading through this sea of shit makes me lose interest in watching Magic streams.

One thing that really annoys me since the release of Arena (and let's face it, the open beta is just a name to justify putting out an unfinished product) is not being able to find good magic streams anymore. Everything plastered with a) paid shills or b) people with < 20 viewers, most even in the < 5 viewers range. There are currently 40 Arena streams up with 1 or 0 viewers and 88 Arena streams with <20 viewers. Wading through this sea of shit makes me lose interest in watching Magic streams.
    http://www.mtgstreams.com/ shows all the streams and you can filter to whatever format you want.

According to Pete Jahn's article series over on MTGO Traders, the cost of a "1 of everything" collection on MTGO has dropped by $3000 in the last two weeks. That's a huge amount. Now amplify it by a couple dozen or hundred or however many card sets the big bot chains have. I can't imagine they'll keep eating that kind of loss without raising hell with WotC. And a lot of those big MTGO bot chains are extensions of big physical MTG stores.

I don't expect WotC to do anything smart here, but I wouldn't at all be surprised by some asinine hairbrained reaction from someone. That's a LOT of "on paper value" getting destroyed fast.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    According to Pete Jahn's article series over on MTGO Traders, the cost of a "1 of everything" collection on MTGO has dropped by $3000 in the last two weeks. That's a huge amount. Now amplify it by a couple dozen or hundred or however many card sets the big bot chains have. I can't imagine they'll keep eating that kind of loss without raising hell with WotC. And a lot of those big MTGO bot chains are extensions of big physical MTG stores.

I don't expect WotC to do anything smart here, but I wouldn't at all be surprised by some asinine hairbrained reaction from someone. That's a LOT of "on paper value" getting destroyed fast.
    WotC has zero long-term planning. While it might contribute to the issue, I don't think Arena is the main problem here. Why would Eternal cards drop that heavily when you can't even play it on Arena? The main problem is WotC enriching themselves on cost of the players (and bot chains) by using Treasure Chests as prizes. More and more supply with no demand to match is going to drive down prices heavily, matching the doomsayers from months ago claiming that treasure chests are the biggest threat to collection values, not Arena. And here we are. While it's awesome that you can get decks comparatively cheap now, it seems like a bad investment, considering cards will keep on dropping due to treasure chests.

@phonics: Awesome link, thanks!

So you're basically complaining that card prices are getting lowered which makes legacy more avaliable online? Which also is the main goal for abolishing the RL in paper magic?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    So you're basically complaining that card prices are getting lowered which makes legacy more avaliable online? Which also is the main goal for abolishing the RL in paper magic?
    Low entry prices are good (even from WotC's standpoint), but if this keeps going, then owning cards is going to lose you money. Since MTGO is built around the bots, this is going to fuck up the entire ecosystem once major, reliable bots don't become sustainable anymore because WotC could never be assed to integrate an auction house. That's unlike Paper, where price gauging works due to the RL and shitty reprint policies, so scalpers and hoarders have a field day.

Low entry prices are good (even from WotC's standpoint), but if this keeps going, then owning cards is going to lose you money. Since MTGO is built around the bots, this is going to fuck up the entire ecosystem once major, reliable bots don't become sustainable anymore because WotC could never be assed to integrate an auction house. That's unlike Paper, where price gauging works due to the RL and shitty reprint policies, so scalpers and hoarders have a field day.
    Yeah, this. I don't know if any of you were around on MTGO before the bots showed up en masses, but jesus was that ever a clusterfuck. It was like a mid-90s AOL chatroom with everyone just screaming into the void. Also, no fractional ticket prices on anything. Basically, if any of the big bot chains detonate themselves, it has huge ripple effects, because it puts that much more pressure on the rest of the botchains to do the same or get left holding the bag, and it completely obliterates the way Limited works on MTGO.

But yes, in general, I'm thrilled prices are dropping. The problem is the reasoning behind and speed of said drops.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    No dude, it's just 1 word and that word is Agile.
    Sorry, can't hear you I'm regression testing for cr6

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Sorry, can't hear you I'm regression testing for cr6
    Yeah I looked at that PR you put up, it had a comment in it so I can't approve it because we only do Clean Code here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

3000$ loss on all cards is like -0.15$ on each card on average. hardly even noticable as a customer. besides there are tons of reprinted cards that are stupidly high priced because they were released in special sets and more or less a dead investment anyway (for the trader) since nobody will every buy them.
    I wish mtgo would become more accessible in the future, because lower card prices will bring back more players. like in RL, magic should first be a game and then a secondary market buisness model.

im surprised how f2p friendly arena is (for now), so i play it a lot. its also fun because not everybody runs netdecks (for now)
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    3000$ loss on all cards is like -0.15$ on each card on average. hardly even noticable as a customer. besides there are tons of reprinted cards that are stupidly high priced because they were released in special sets and more or less a dead investment anyway (for the trader) since nobody will every buy them.
    I wish mtgo would become more accessible in the future, because lower card prices will bring back more players. like in RL, magic should first be a game and then a secondary market buisness model.

im surprised how f2p friendly arena is (for now), so i play it a lot. its also fun because not everybody runs netdecks (for now)
    That's not really how it works. The vast, vast, vast, vast, vast majority of cards on MTGO are essentially "free" with prices on bots of something like .0001 tix. Tournament playables are a much smaller pool, and they've been losing a LOT of value.

Thread Information