Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    New historic anthology to be released:

https://mtgazone.com/historic-anthology-2-cards/

Of course, since Historic is mostly played Bo1, anything that does not slot into aggro decks can be ignored.
    From time to time, they offer historic ranked and historic traditional ranked possibilities.
    I've been playing UArtos lately in traditional ranked and been having a lot of fun. And it is absolutely not an aggro deck... And the best deck in the format seems to be UW control :)

The latest big news, human drafts are coming. That's another dent on MTGO.
    Isn't it good news? :)
    It's the end of the super good decks because you have finally understood the way bots draft... I hated loosing 3 times in a row to super good decks with 5 or 6 of the same common that is backbreaking in the archetype... It's going to happen less!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    From time to time, they offer historic ranked and historic traditional ranked possibilities.
    I've been playing UArtos lately in traditional ranked and been having a lot of fun. And it is absolutely not an aggro deck... And the best deck in the format seems to be UW control :)
    Totally true, but I was coming from the perspective of F2P where you have to brutally maximize the number of games played and amount of fast wins...

Isn't it good news? :)
    It's the end of the super good decks because you have finally understood the way bots draft... I hated loosing 3 times in a row to super good decks with 5 or 6 of the same common that is backbreaking in the archetype... It's going to happen less!!
    It's very good news! Except for MTGO that will get another dent, but it's defo a very welcomed thing on Arena.

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Totally true, but I was coming from the perspective of F2P where you have to brutally maximize the number of games played and amount of fast wins...

It's very good news! Except for MTGO that will get another dent, but it's defo a very welcomed thing on Arena.
    There are still way better formats on MTGO.
    To be honest, I still play on mogg which has the worst interface in terms of magic software because it offers better formats

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Does anyone actually enjoy Arena at this point? I have two takeaways from my experience.
    1. My dislike for planeswalkers is fully justified after playing current Standard.
    2. The only use for Arena is a rules tool.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    Does anyone actually enjoy Arena at this point? I have two takeaways from my experience.
    1. My dislike for planeswalkers is fully justified after playing current Standard.
    It's even a garbage client that took me multiple days to install and still crashes about one s session

Well, if you don't have modo, then it's the only option currently.
    At this point I would also rather not invest into modo.

A more general thing:
    Does anyone else fell that their RNG is really bad.
    I know that true randomness feels not random to humans but still.
    It fells strange to have a lot of games drawing either no lands or flooding hard.
    If I import a list, I cut 2-3 lands first.
    I also get a lot of duplicates often in a sense that my hand consists of 2x same card + 3x other card.

As for the formats they, feel awful.
    Cards are so powerful that you are so far behind if you don't handles them immediately, that you might as well give up.
    The only "soothing" experience I have is playing mono B in Historic and imagining the opponents face once I drop an obliterator which know he can't handle.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    A more general thing:
    Does anyone else fell that their RNG is really bad.
    I know that true randomness feels not random to humans but still.
    It fells strange to have a lot of games drawing either no lands or flooding hard.
    100%
    I was going to bring this up initially, but figured I'd be called a crack pot. I don't trust the RNG at all. Plus, I've heard that the game draws two opening hands and gives you the one with more land, or something to that effect.
    I don't run into Mana screw often, but constantly get flooded.

100%
    I was going to bring this up initially, but figured I be called a conspiracy theorist. I don't trust the RNG at all. Plus, I've heard that the game draws two opening hands and gives you the one with more land, or something to that effect.
    I don't run into Mana screw often, but constantly get flooded.
    They only generate 2 hands in BO1. In BO3 it's just one.
    You get the hand with a "better" land/spell mix.
    That way they want to reduce non-games.

The whole crux of the game is that they want to make you play BO1 even though MTG is not designed to be played this way (so far).
    In limited it more or less doesn't matter beside making you more susceptible to variance.
    Since a lot of constructed strategies require dedicated hate, you either have to main stuff or just play decks that have at least a fair chance against everything.

The ring in arena, I thought they admitted, is fixed to ensure you get a mix of lands and spells

Standard is what it is, it ebbs and flows with every rotation. Historic can become a pretty interesting format, but at this point in time it's totally in flux so who knows.

Overall I rate it as a positive experience, you can easily play what you want (from what is offered) for free and there are play modes to suit most people. It's also the only place where you get some form of compensation when you have cards that are banned (in the form of an equivalent number of wildcards and this, in the current ban-o-rama that MTG is, is a pretty good thing. I would dread to pay actual money for cards in MTGO and then see the decks banned and the cards reduced to a fraction of their value (been there a lot in modern). I'm also cheap, so the opportunity to have competitive play for free suits me just fine.

All in all, B+ so far.

As an aside, I think it gets a lot more flak than it deserves (as a client) but I also think the same thing from MTGO, so...

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The ring in arena, I thought they admitted, is fixed to ensure you get a mix of lands and spells
    Not in Bo3. You can get mana flood and hands with no lands at all.

Put Historic down as another great success story for MTG. After countless bans and suspensions we reach this stage:

'...With the format so warped around 2 archetypes, one necessitating main deck hate and another having no bad matchups over the course of the weekend when put to the test at the highest level, there needs to be changes. I am not qualified to make any suggestions on which cards need to be banned or what cards need to be added in an Anthology to help the format recover, but 60% of the metagame being held by 2 main archetypes isn’t healthy. A format requiring main deck hate cards and one deck making up 6 of the Top 8 spots isn’t great either. ...'

https://mtgazone.com/zendikar-rising...rt-2-historic/

I finally got into playing Arena and holy shit is this client worse than mtgo. It's amazing.

I finally got into playing Arena and holy shit is this client worse than mtgo. It's amazing.
    I'm on the rather lonely side of actually liking the MTGO client, and of having done so since I started playing it some 6-8 years ago. I think arena has some advantages , but largely prefer the more professional application type of interface that MTGO offers. At this point though, you cannot really argue with free.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Been playing arena for a while. Only spent 5 bucks to start and have drafted more or less continuously. Sometimes I fall into a slump where I need to daily quest back up, but it's free and quick to play. Now I am pretty happy when I'm not playing paper and feel no need to play mtgo, which is a terrible client, even after 20 years.
    -rob

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Been playing arena for a while. Only spent 5 bucks to start and have drafted more or less continuously. Sometimes I fall into a slump where I need to daily quest back up, but it's free and quick to play. Now I am pretty happy when I'm not playing paper and feel no need to play mtgo, which is a terrible client, even after 20 years.
    It's pretty easy to go infinite indeed.
    I draft once every two days and only goes 7-x two or three times during the season, but beetween the free drafts with gold and all the ones where you go 3/4/5-x You're never out of gems and the collection is growing.
    When I don't draft I can allways go historic or standard.

It's pretty easy to go infinite indeed.
    I draft once every two days and only goes 7-x two or three times during the season, but beetween the free drafts with gold and all the ones where you go 3/4/5-x You're never out of gems and the collection is growing.
    When I don't draft I can allways go historic or standard.
    Indeed it is. There is still one thing that reached the point where I'm getting close to never again touching arena which is the fact that the engine coordinates your match-ups. Probably not a biggie when drafting, but in historic it makes it vile.

Indeed it is. There is still one thing that reached the point where I'm getting close to never again touching arena which is the fact that the engine coordinates your match-ups. Probably not a biggie when drafting, but in historic it makes it vile.
    What do you mean?

What do you mean?
    https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-match...n_Does_it_Suck

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

If anyone wants Kaldheim codes, send me a PM. I have 3 prerelease codes.

Thread Information