Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    That "nickle and dime" uneven gem buying levels...love it. Just blatant scumbaggery.

750 Gems: $4.99
    1,600 Gems: $9.99
    3,400 Gems: $19.99
    9,200 Gems: $49.99
    20,000 Gems: $99.99

600 Gems: 3 Packs (200 gems per pack, or about $1.33 per pack)
    Those are 150/$ to 200/$, so 200 gems is ~$1 if you buy in bulk.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Those are 150/$ to 200/$, so 200 gems is ~$1 if you buy in bulk.
    Now we still need to set that into relation with booster structure itself and its value/junk rares/mythics
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Holy fuck that's awful. I'll be honest, I just don't see how basing your entire revenue model around parents not keeping track of what their kids buy on their credit cards is a good idea. But hey, what do I know?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Holy fuck that's awful. I'll be honest, I just don't see how basing your entire revenue model around parents not keeping track of what their kids buy on their credit cards is a good idea. But hey, what do I know?
    It works pretty well on the mobile market for almost 10 years when "microtransactions" became "freemium", gatcha Mechanics made their way into the global game market and recently got flak in regards to lootboxes. You would be shocked so see the revenue of some of these games (which are often public).

I dunno if there is much of a difference between gambling with 20,000 gems in Arena or do the same with a box of Dominaria from your local dealer.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

I wonder if that Belgium "loot boxes are illegal" court ruling would make Arena an illegal video game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    It works pretty well on the mobile market for almost 10 years when "microtransactions" became "freemium", gatcha Mechanics made their way into the global game market and recently got flak in regards to lootboxes. You would be shocked so see the revenue of some of these games (which are often public).

I dunno if there is much of a difference between gambling with 20,000 gems in Arena or do the same with a box of Dominaria from your local dealer.
    The problem isn't the model, the problem is they won't get a single "free" player under this method, and if you don't have those, you don't have a userbase, and you don't have new blood to convert to paying customers. Also, the return rates for the $$ are a bad joke.

The problem isn't the model, the problem is they won't get a single "free" player under this method, and if you don't have those, you don't have a userbase, and you don't have new blood to convert to paying customers. Also, the return rates for the $$ are a bad joke.
    They have several problems and if they don't sort them Arena will just be another MTGO, trudging along without making any big dents into a highly profitable market:

a) The link between paper and digital means we can always have another caw blade or energy deck turning every single stream into the same thing over and over again. They will not be able to artificially balance things by tweaking the digital cards like HS does.
    b) By and large they are aiming at two groups. The FTP and the people already using MTGO. Saying to the people already in MTGO, easy to move into Arena, just spend even more money there to play only Standard, is not going to have mass-appeal.
    c) Related to b), if you are a FTP, I have done every single quest and maximized my wins since the last wipe-out, I've opened the vault once (!) and still do not have enough mythics / rares wildcards to make any of the top decks. I must say the vault was amazing when they offered mythics and we only had a couple of sets.You got so many repeats when opening packs that filling up the vault was dead easy. Now, with so many sets in there, it's becoming tediously slow to fill it.

There's still a chance to make it work, but it's beginning to look iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    They have several problems and if they don't sort them Arena will just be another MTGO, trudging along without making any big dents into a highly profitable market:

a) The link between paper and digital means we can always have another caw blade or energy deck turning every single stream into the same thing over and over again. They will not be able to artificially balance things by tweaking the digital cards like HS does.
    b) By and large they are aiming at two groups. The FTP and the people already using MTGO. Saying to the people already in MTGO, easy to move into Arena, just spend even more money there to play only Standard, is not going to have mass-appeal.
    c) Related to b), if you are a FTP, I have done every single quest and maximized my wins since the last wipe-out, I've opened the vault once (!) and still do not have enough mythics / rares wildcards to make any of the top decks. I must say the vault was amazing when they offered mythics and we only had a couple of sets.You got so many repeats when opening packs that filling up the vault was dead easy. Now, with so many sets in there, it's becoming tediously slow to fill it.

There's still a chance to make it work, but it's beginning to look iffy.
    The main problem they have is they're basing their economy on HS, which just flat out doesn't work with MTG's deck construction rules, power levels at various rarities, and giant card pool.

You need 40-50 rare+ cards to make the vast majority of standard decks. Given the size of MTG's cardpool you're almost never going to get the rare/mythics you need out of packs. And given you need 4x+ of a card before it starts filling the vault, pack progression is pretty much all you've got for filling the vault. Thus any pack is basically 4% of whatever you actually need. It's insane.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Thus any pack is basically 4% of whatever you actually need. It's insane.
    That's what you end up, if you employ idiots without any knowledge of the digital market: They simply copy & paste the rates for chase rares from other known games, without questioning, if these fit for your own game.

3% is about the industry standard for chase rares, but no other game requires you to pull 40+ cards at that (or a similar) rate. This level of incompetence in regards to pricing, odds and awareness of ones own deck structures is indeed unbelievable

Join us at Facebook!

They should take a page from Yu-Gi-Oh duel links economy.

Was able to get a top tier deck there relativity fast just grinding NPC's/Online.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...be_hosting_an/

There's another Arena AMA tonight on Reddit. It's probably not leading anywhere, given how much people are pissed about the economy, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/...be_hosting_an/

There's another Arena AMA tonight on Reddit. It's probably not leading anywhere, given how much people are pissed about the economy, but who knows.
    What do you think the odds are they curate it so it's just fanboi's asking why they're giving losers so much free stuff in the game already? 2:1? 3:1?

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    I'm trying for the life of me to understand who this is going to appeal to, and I can't get past this point. They're trying to create a competitive digital environment by invalidating and alienating their already existing (and deeper) digital environment. It feels like a Duels of the Planeswalkers game with a pay-to-play component.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Mar 2007

What do you think the odds are they curate it so it's just fanboi's asking why they're giving losers so much free stuff in the game already? 2:1? 3:1?
    They might try, but chances are that it would still get drowned in a flurry of angry economy questions. People are fucking furious and the latest update hasn't changed much about it.

I checked in on that AMA. As expected it was a giant pile of fuckery where the few economy questions that slipped in got deflected.

They're still in total denial. I will enjoy their tears.

I'm sure Wizards has complete control over that subreddit. Mods who vehemently insist no card board issues, bunch of accounts that perpetually deflect and say the card board is amazing. I imagine we'll see the same thing about Arena.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'm sure Wizards has complete control over that subreddit. Mods who vehemently insist no card board issues, bunch of accounts that perpetually deflect and say the card board is amazing. I imagine we'll see the same thing about Arena.
    Trying to control the narrative isn't going to increase their revenue, though. It has yet to been whether they fall back to their old routine after the Garfield set (which sells like hotcakes) or not.

I think there was one exchange which was pretty telling.

Someone got through with a question about the lands moving around when you tap them and how much everyone hates it and how stupid it is.

The response was that they were working to improve AutoTap so you never had to bother tapping the lands yourself.

Like, the community clearly identifies a simple, significant problem with an easy, obvious fix... and the response is to double down on some nonsense that nobody asked for, doesn't work and is unlikely to ever work well enough in the future for true competitive play.

Mar 2007

Also loved this exchange:

Question:
    The new player experience is BAD, in my and many others opinions. With the software currently in beta, are you and the team going to look into how to make that experience better?

In my opinion, this is the biggest thing (in addition to the economy that people are surely going to ask about) that should be answered, since new player retention is the biggest thing that means the software lives or dies.

If you are going to make the new player experience better: what steps are you and the team going to do while the beta is ongoing to test this?
    Answer:
    Right now the new player experience is right along the lines of tossing a kid in a pool and hoping they don’t drown. We’re going to be tackling this on multiple fronts. Matchmaking changes, NPE Tutorials, and quests that help guide players through their initial goals. (We do not endorse trying this at home.)
    The most scary part about this whole disaster is that WotC/Hasbro might nuke MTGO out of the blue of Arena isn't working out, with the idea that forcing players onto the platform to make it succeed. Given their lack of vision and common sense, it's a real possibility.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    The most scary part about this whole disaster is that WotC/Hasbro might nuke MTGO out of the blue of Arena isn't working out, with the idea that forcing players onto the platform to make it succeed.
    I always thought that Arena was meant to replace the casual unfriendly MTGO? Why should they keep MTGO around if they can move modern and standard to Arena?

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information