Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: MTG Arena General Discussion

Re: MTG Arena

Kaladesh block, best of 3, 24/7 drafting, normal standard, and a bunch of free cards coming on june 7th. Free cards include 4x of a bunch of standard staples, 1x of every other mythic/rare, and 2x common and uncommon.

Not a bad way to introduce kaladesh at all in my opinion.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Kaladesh block, best of 3, 24/7 drafting, normal standard, and a bunch of free cards coming on june 7th. Free cards include 4x of a bunch of standard staples, 1x of every other mythic/rare, and 2x common and uncommon.

Not a bad way to introduce kaladesh at all in my opinion.
    So good news :)
    Guys, if you weren't playing before, now this is time :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    So good news :)
    Guys, if you weren't playing before, now this is time :)
    Aren't we gonna have a collection wipe-out in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Aren't we gonna have a collection wipe-out in the near future?
    Yep, I was just commenting that it was a good way to get the cards into peoples hands without forcing people to save wildcards or buy gems.

There isn't a date for the wipe yet and the only thing people will keep is a refund of any gems they've spent.

They finally did their big "economy post" they've been talking about for months.

Hilariously, it's literally a giant wall of nothing that says MTG is more complex, so it costs more to play, and they're not changing the drop rates.

Complete and total failure. Although I will say if they do a Kaladesh style drop of one-of each of the rares and mythics for every new set, the economy would actually be fine, because your choice would be pay for a good version of the deck you want, or play a bad version for free, which seems much more reasonable.

Yeah that post is pretty ridiculous. Doesn't bode well at all.

I think my favorite part of the post is when they list "mono-green stompy with 7 mythics and 22 rares" as the standard of a competitive deck.

Dude, in standard, that's your MANA BASE. Doesn't even touch the rest of the deck. Pete Jahn, who is a huge MTG apologist, pointed out that the average standard tier one deck includes a max of 4 uncommons.

God I'm going to enjoy the schadenfreude when this thing fails hard.

EDIT: jesus the "economy post" thread is getting brutal. They're on like a second straight page of discussing the best ways to get Hasbro to issue refunds now. The consensus view seems to be WotC will whine and cry and offer "other products of equal value" but Hasbro direct will eventually return your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I think my favorite part of the post is when they list "mono-green stompy with 7 mythics and 22 rares" as the standard of a competitive deck.

Dude, in standard, that's your MANA BASE. Doesn't even touch the rest of the deck. Pete Jahn, who is a huge MTG apologist, pointed out that the average standard tier one deck includes a max of 4 uncommons....
    I would point out that after doing all the quests (rolling for higher payouts) and all the daily rewards, I'm not yet able to do that deck.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The Economy Post - for your reading pleasure

Considering they aren't going to budge on their stance in ecomnomy questions, this is going to be a spectacular garbage fire.

My favorite part was the "We need two different currencies to differentiate between F2P and P2W, but we'll also give out P2W currency to F2P players, making the distinction completely nonsensical." - What?

So, when you're purchasing gem bundles, we want you to focus on the amount of money you want to spend, not what you want to spend your gems on.
    Seriously, this shit is comedy gold.

If I'm reading this stuff right:

• It takes 95 - 145 packs to build out any Tier 1 deck
    • You can earn 11 packs a week
    • F2P: It would take roughly 9 - 13 weeks to build out any Tier 1 deck (around 3 months)
    • Paid: It would cost around $125 every three-four months to build out any Tier 1 deck.

Hmm yeah this is going to go well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

• F2P: It would take roughly 9 - 13 weeks to build out any Tier 1 deck (around 3 months)
    • Paid: It would cost around $125 every three-four months to build out any Tier 1 deck.

On what criteria did you root the 95-145 packs? Taking the actual rarities of a standard deck or the wierd one they claimed to be enough? Just trying to get context about the economy.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    On what criteria did you root the 95-145 packs? .
    They expressly said that that was the number of packs they expect to be needed. They also said that the middle ground expectation of a tier 1 deck is 7 mythics and 23 rares. Meaning *half* your deck is rare or higher, and this is expected and good. NWO killed the days of being able to build a passable uncommon deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

Don't forget that they *expressly* acknowledged that it costs more than other games, but its ok. People will pay more because magic is just better. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    They expressly said that that was the number of packs they expect to be needed. They also said that the middle ground expectation of a tier 1 deck is 7 mythics and 23 rares. Meaning *half* your deck is rare or higher, and this is expected and good. NWO killed the days of being able to build a passable uncommon deck.
    Which is funny, because real decks are like 50+ rares/mythics. So your actual rate of acquiring stuff is something like every 5 months. But new sets are released every 3 months.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...

Yeah, they used the example of Mono Green Stompy, which has 23 rares and 7 mythics, and according to their simulators it would take about 125 packs to build that deck. Other meta decks would take between 95 and 145 packs to build.

I can't access the post directly but that is explicitly from Wizards in that link above.

I'm assuming the price would be $1 = 1 pack but it's likely lower. So maybe just $100 per set (3 months).
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

My favorite part was in the followup posts, the dev that was replying wasn't having fun with the f2p model so they spent $120. Economy working as intended.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena/..._economy_post/

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Bithlord View Post
    People will pay more because magic is just better. Right?
    The amount of arrogance they're showing is baffling and it will be their downfall. MtG is a good game, but only having a fraction of the formats available (and the worst ones at that) while your client is a Hearthstone rip-off is not exactly how you can charge premium.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Which is funny, because real decks are like 50+ rares/mythics. So your actual rate of acquiring stuff is something like every 5 months. But new sets are released every 3 months.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm...
    That also completely discounts the fact of months of painful, unfun grinding with a shitty deck - WotC just doesn't attribute any value to people's time; they've done the same with MTGO. Meta changed and your deck isn't viable anymore? Congratulations, you're fucked.

Being stuck with the cards you're randomly getting (aside from wild cards) is one of the main problems of Arena. You can't simply switch decks and the resources spent for the previous deck is pretty much a sunk cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That also completely discounts the fact of months of painful, unfun grinding with a shitty deck - WotC just doesn't attribute any value to people's time; they've done the same with MTGO. Meta changed and your deck isn't viable anymore? Congratulations, you're fucked.

Being stuck with the cards you're randomly getting (aside from wild cards) is one of the main problems of Arena. You can't simply switch decks and the resources spent for the previous deck is pretty much a sunk cost.
    This is funny too, because Wizards stated that the reason they didn't go with Dusting is that players will destroy good cards and end up being locked into shitty decks. But, now you're having to pour your wildcards into one given deck, which turns out to be shit...

I can see that focusing on collecting the entire set is good for player flexibility and wizard$, but when the economy is this shit their system falls apart and hurts the player.

I'd rather see them have this luck of the draw model AND have a subscription model (flat $20/month for example) where you have access to all cards in the set. Maybe that's what they're insinuating; you just need to buy up 145 packs to build the set at the start of the season, but locking it into this model makes it feel like a cash grab on the roulette wheel.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I don't understand why they don't just allow trading or dusting to get a certain card you want or something. I mean I guess I understand the why (money), but it would solve many of the gripes I feel. Oh well. This is very much destined to fail. I now see why they have an advertisement on the mothership basically begging people to play and stream the game
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I don't understand why they don't just allow trading or dusting to get a certain card you want or something. I mean I guess I understand the why (money), but it would solve many of the gripes I feel. Oh well. This is very much destined to fail. I now see why they have an advertisement on the mothership basically begging people to play and stream the game
    It's really remarkable that they've gotten so much specific feedback about the exact problems they have and are completely unwilling to do anything to address them.

Thread Information