Thread: Replenish

Replenish

Hi guys! I'm putting together a Replenish deck. I know this deck will probably never be tier one, but as long as I can steal a few games from the real decks, I'm happy ;-). This deck is purely meant for fun.
    Here's the list:

Blue 20
    3 Parralax Wave
    3 Read the Runes
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Jace TMS
    3 Attunement
    2 Snapcaster Mage

White 19
    4 Parralax Tide
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Opalescence
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    1 Humility
    4 Replenish
    4 Swords to Plowshares

1 Detention Sphere

Land 21
    3 Tundra
    1 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Boseju
    4 Island
    3 Plains
    5 Fetchland
    1 Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale

Any ideas or suggestions?

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: Replenish

This is my last version I was working on

3 Replenish
    4 Opalescence
    4 Parallax wave
    3 Parallax tide
    3 Attunement
    4 mystic remora
    1 Rhystic study
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    4 swords to plowshares
    4 ponder
    4 Force of Will
    1 Foil
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Search for Azcanta
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Tundra
    4 Island
    4 Plains
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Volcanic
    -rob

Is Remora any good? Most decks in Legacy are pretty creature-orientated. It seems pretty loose to tap out every turn to yield little to no advantage.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Most decks run 4 ponder and 4 Brainstorm. In addition they tend to run cards like bolt, probe, discard etc. A deck like this is just worse generally, so a card like this can help balance it.
    -rob

Not sure how set you are on staying UW but I played a 4c build way way back in the day in T1 that centered around replenishing Pandemonium and Saproling Burst for the combo kill.
    I got it in the yard with Bazaar (which doesn't help you in this format), Attunement, and Frantic Search. There are more options available too, like Careful Study, Faithless looting, a dredge shell, LED, entomb, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I'd lean towards blackjack/pandeburst if you're aiming for 4 replenish.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Here is the gist of my old list off the top of my head. Obviously not all these cards are legal in Legacy, and it wasn't tournament tested, but it seemed good at the time, just in case you wanted to go this route:
    (note -?? means I don't recall how many - if any - were in the deck)

?? Dual Lands/City of Brass/Fetches
    3-4 Bazaar of Baghdad (Vintage)

Artifact:
    1 Sol ring (Vintage)
    1 Mana crypt
    1 Mana Vault
    ?? Lotus Petal

Green:
    4 Saproling Burst
    4 Birds of PAradise
    ?? regrowth
    ?? Sylvan library

Red:
    4 Pandemonium
    ?? Lightning Bolt

Blue:
    ?? Frantic Search
    3 Attunement (this felt clunky every time I tried to use it)
    ?? FOW
    ?? other blue cards to support FOW

Black:
    4 dark rits
    4 duress
    ?? Diabolic Edict
    ?? D. Tutor (Vintage)
    ?? V. Tutor (Vintage?)
    ?? entomb (don't think I had these at the time)

White
    4 Replenish
    ?? Enlightened Tutor.
    ?? StP

Guess it was 5 colors lol. I don't think I had blue in the original build that was better IMO, but I toyed around with it later and didn't seem to work as well. Attunement always felt kind of slow. It started off as a mono red sneak attack/pandemonium, then as a red stompy with pandemonium and the Viashino creatures (2/1 and 5/3 that have haste and bounce back into your hand at EoT) and Scrolia wurm, or whatever, the 7/7 that bounces back when you cast it if you lose a coin flip. Then I found the Saproling Burst combo and went G/R stompy with combo backup, then went for full combo and removed the non-mana dork creatures and splashed black for rits and discard and tutors, and white for replenish. I think the land was wooded foothills, taiga, bayou, a badlands or two, and city of brass. I don't think I had any white duals in this deck, so might have only had replenish as the white card, but that isn't important here.

Honestly, If I were to remake it today, it would probably look a lot like a storm deck (Ruby storm), and try to push the cards to the graveyard, run lots of gas, then cast a past in flames and cast replenish from the graveyard. This could take advantage of LED as a discard outlet too. Maybe that's not what you are looking for but it probably wouldn't be too bad if you could get the lands right. Either way, not many people knew what was going on when they played this deck, so it was always fun to play in my opinion. And it worked fairly well. Probably would be a bit slow in today's game but discard and protection suite may be able to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Seeing blue and replenish together followed by lists has me curious as to why none of them contain intuition.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Check the GW Opal-Wave thread
    From the videos that Fjaulnir uploaded to youtube I was actually surprised by how successful that deck was
    I think that the Replenish angle can be pushed harder without making the deck too much more vulnerable by including Vessel of Nascency. The discussion in that thread was heading towards playing x4 Sylvan Library and x4 Mirri's Guile instead, which I think is way too much redundancy of that effect.

You can play blue for FoW but Kruphix's Insight and Sylvan Library are arguably better than e.g. Attunement

I don't think the pandaburst combo is good anymore because those cards are so bad by themselves, so it kind of forces you to make Replenish the definite 'Plan A', rather than the backup plan or a value card, and then you have to ask yourself would it just be better to Reanimate a Griselbrand instead. (2 Specific cards in the graveyard + a 4 mana card is also a win with Necrotic Ooze, which is easier to assemble than the Replenish combo because you have Reanimate and Entomb etc). Parallax Wave + Opalescence is good enough to win most matchups.

Thread Information