Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Mind making it easy for us with an exact list? maindeck?

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Plateau
    3 Mountain
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire

4 Lotus Petal
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter’s Servant
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Goblin Welder
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Walking Ballista

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Enlightened Tutor

4 Grindstone
    4 Smuggler’s Copter
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives (Heretic)

Sideboard:

4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Containment Priest
    4 Pyroclasm
    1 Goblin Welder
    1 Viashino Heretic (EE)
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

you're the best!

I just finished reading Kap'n Cook tournament report - thanks for the great read.

I bought the missing pieces for this deck after I saw it 7-0 the Legacy Challenge. Played it a little casually with friends, and really liked it. I'm bringing it tomorrow to my weekly legacy event.

Will definitely keep on reading posts here to learn more about the deck.

Gotta make good use of my plateaus after all :)

Has the tournament report been posted/published? Someone post a link if so?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Hey Kapn'. Just read your tourney report. Hilarious. Well written.
    Seems like the canonists are really pulling their weight for you. I am having a really hard time deciding which version of painter to play right now. I've been fiddling with the dark side of brainstorm and force of will for so long that it is now hard to give up. It's like crack. Anyway, maybe your recent success will inspire me to get back on straight shortcake (or maybe back to "Devil's cake" with black splash). My big question is this...you feel like a miser's bloodmoon is still the way to go? Eldrazi and RUG delver seem to be getting real popular. I think I would really want to play more main moons but I also can't argue with your logic. Also, is 4 copters too many? Do you really want to see more than one? It's probably just so important to get one down on the first 1-2 turns though huh? Anyway, keep on painting my friend. I'll go to confession and cleanse my soul and then should be ready to jump back on the wagon.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Good mention on rug and eldrazi, I’ve been waiting to see how much they would rebound. So far it hasn’t been terrible, since copter does trade with mimic, reshaper, goose, and delver. I haven’t faced much lands yet though, so if that’s back big as well then I could see a second in the board. Otherwise, white is pretty important now overall. 4 copters is probably right, since they can pitch each other. every hit replaces the worst card in our hand or abuses welder. legacy is still pretty combat focused right now too, and copter is a huge 3/3.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

This was a great write up, thank you so much. Would you perhaps be able to go a little more in depth on the aggro loam matchup, A local at my store plays it every week and it gives me alot of trouble, just running your stock list, any help would be appreciated.

Hey All,

So I know I'm late to the party, but I've been really glad to see Copter get picked up by the Shortcake and Mono R lists, the card is the stone nuts.

I skimmed the ten pages of this thread, so sorry if I missed the relevant discussion, but what about upping the Welder count? The card super over-performs with Copter. Maybe I just want to make every deck Welder-Control, but the artifact count is already ready high and it becomes another must-answer threat to tax opposing removal.

Feb 2008
    NYC

I am glad you are enjoying the thread.

With respect to Welder, I think 3 is the correct number right now. While he is basically always awesome, we do need some random cards to combat the weird shit that is part of Legacy. I could see a meta shaking out where 4 is what we want, but with elves and delver variants still fairly popular, we need to have some answers for those match ups at this time.

Also, I will post here when the series goes live, but I finally finished the write up on Painter. So I am thinking they will start the roll out of articles this week.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    ...with elves and delver variants still fairly popular, we need to have some answers for those match ups at this time.
    What do you think of a singleton Ali from Cairo as elf hate? It is decay proof and tutorable with recruiter?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    What do you think of a singleton Ali from Cairo as elf hate? It is decay proof and tutorable with recruiter?
    Peacekeeper might be a tad better since it can come in a variety of matchups outside of elves. A card like this is usually very bad against a deck like Delver because it's so easy to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Peacekeeper might be a tad better since it can come in a variety of matchups outside of elves. A card like this is usually very bad against a deck like Delver because it's so easy to remove.
    Abrupt Decay can kill Peacekeeper, it can't kill Ali.. I think elves scoops to Ali..

Feb 2008
    NYC

Yeah I mean Ali is tough to beat in general for them. If elves is heavily played there is marginal cost to run a singleton answer to the deck. I feel like there were some lists years ago where I had him in the 75, or at least we joked about playing him.

He isn't the worst card.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    Abrupt Decay can kill Peacekeeper, it can't kill Ali.. I think elves scoops to Ali..
    I overheard some talk in the Elfy circles about including some amount of Shaman of the Pack as the non-combat alternative lost with the DRS ban.
    Against the Moats and Bridges, where slowly draining them was the backup, now Symbiote bouncing and recasting is the plan.
    You might fake them out a game, but after that, you should plan on seeing that come down.
    So auto-scoop every time not so much. Just a heads up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

How do you guys feel about the Eldrazi Post matchup? I'm running a fairly stock list and I've found the matchup to be basically unwinnable, especially if they're playing multiple titans with the shuffle ability. I've been seeing the deck pop up more and more, especially after 2 people top 8'd Philly with it. Any advice or tech for the matchup?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by marqueso View Post
    How do you guys feel about the Eldrazi Post matchup? I'm running a fairly stock list and I've found the matchup to be basically unwinnable, especially if they're playing multiple titans with the shuffle ability. I've been seeing the deck pop up more and more, especially after 2 people top 8'd Philly with it. Any advice or tech for the matchup?
    This matchup alone makes me want to go back to the 4 blood moon, 3 bridge version of the deck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Even with moon and bridge I feel like they can still ramp into Ulamog to remove either fairly easily? I could be wrong. Grim Monolith and such gives them some inevitability
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Even with moon and bridge I feel like they can still ramp into Ulamog to remove either fairly easily? I could be wrong. Grim Monolith and such gives them some inevitability
    I agree that it is easy for them to ramp into Ulamog or all is dust. When I was on Moon stompy I played two Null rods in the board specifically for this match up since people at my LGS. Null Rod is a nonbo in painter though.

I think moon is still good for this match up. With copter at least you have a relatively fast clock as opposed to durdling around with little dorks. Maybe if you can get a painter down and blast their mana rocks to keep them from casting their business spells you should be good.

In recent news I went 3-1 at my LGS tonight:

2-1 Tin Fins (beatdown for the win both times)
    Storm 2-1
    Sneak and Show 0-2 (got absolutely killed)
    Eldrazi Stompy 2-0

I played Jack’s latest list exactly except I played a blood moon in the board over the 2nd Karn. I know we’ve discussed how great copter is but it still continues to impress me. In Game 1 vs Eldrazi Stompy I am at 8 life facing down three 3/3 creatures and a chalice on 1. I have a moon and bridge in play and an empty hand. My outs to win are explosives (1 of) to get rid of chalice, ballista (another 1 of) to ping, or draw a copter (which I did) and build to three cards in hand to swing in the air and then play a card to get back down to two cards in hand. I think this is definitely a match up where copter is better than SDT was.

Feb 2008
    NYC

First part is up.

https://www.flipsidegaming.com/blogs...nter-in-legacy

I have some additional thoughts I will post tonight here.

Seth

Thread Information