Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

I have just started picking this up after a year. The deck is now so much more
    Complicated to play. It’s almost like there is so many options that it is way easier to make the wrong choices!

Between recruiter, tutor, Karn, welder and engineer and copter, it’s very easy to lose sight of what you should be doing at any one turn. 50% of the time I feel like I actually made the wrong choice. Really need to jam a lot of
    Games to be up to date with this new version. Hopefully the updated primer will be up soon.

I be playing in two small tournaments over the next Teo days. Wish me luck.

I feel that I still like Wurmcoil in the sideboard as that at many stage of the games I have jam, seems to be the fastest way to win.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Went 4-0 at my LGS tonight with the deck. Beat U/B reanimator, bomberman, Grixis control, and Lazav-naught. Karn was amazing all night and just destroyed both the lazav and bomberman match-ups. I actually beat reanimator similarly to the youtube video I posted by dropping turn 1 welder into turn 2 engineer for tangle wire. Was able to generally stall long enough to assemble the win. The 1 of blood moon totally stole a game off of grixis. I am actually also currently 3-0 in my first league with the list as well. I had a turn 1 karn into turn 2 lattice in my last match online (ancient tomb, petal, petal, LED, mountain, karn, recruiter as my opener on the play). Prior to that game though I hadn't won any of the previous games with lattice and was even considering cutting it. It's just hard to do when there is such potential for that kind of craziness. This deck has never felt stronger and it is SOOOO under-estimated right now.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Went 4-0 at my LGS tonight with the deck. Beat U/B reanimator, bomberman, Grixis control, and Lazav-naught. Karn was amazing all night and just destroyed both the lazav and bomberman match-ups. I actually beat reanimator similarly to the youtube video I posted by dropping turn 1 welder into turn 2 engineer for tangle wire. Was able to generally stall long enough to assemble the win. The 1 of blood moon totally stole a game off of grixis. I am actually also currently 3-0 in my first league with the list as well. I had a turn 1 karn into turn 2 lattice in my last match online (ancient tomb, petal, petal, LED, mountain, karn, recruiter as my opener on the play). Prior to that game though I hadn't won any of the previous games with lattice and was even considering cutting it. It's just hard to do when there is such potential for that kind of craziness. This deck has never felt stronger and it is SOOOO under-estimated right now.
    Congrats! I went 2-1 at my LGS earlier.

Was at 1-1 with a miracles and lost the dice roll for the third game without even playing. Lost the close first game which took half our time. Won the 2nd game with a lattice lock. Lost the dice throw so 1-2

Won the mirror(what’s the odds?). Basically it came down to who got Karn down first. A slightly different lost then ours with no LED and 4 urza rage instead of 4 bolts. I was a little surprise that my servant got “raged” with me holding a pyro. 2-1

Won vs Grixis control 2 closely fought match to zero.

Many times I really could not confirm what’s the best card to fetch with Karn. Again it felt that I would have won earlier with Karn if I had lotus or Wurmcoil in the sideboard. Or not lost those close games.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by oliverpool View Post
    Congrats! I went 2-1 at my LGS earlier.

Was at 1-1 with a miracles and lost the dice roll for the third game without even playing. Lost the close first game which took half our time. Won the 2nd game with a lattice lock. Lost the dice throw so 1-2
    So instead of a draw, the win goes to whoever won the dice roll? That's ATROCIOUS. I have never heard of that. Where on earth are people such savages that you can't have a draw?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    So instead of a draw, the win goes to whoever won the dice roll? That's ATROCIOUS. I have never heard of that. Where on earth are people such savages that you can't have a draw?
    It's actually against the rules so I'm not really sure how this came to pass. If your opponent wants to resolve a draw with a die roll you should report that to a judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    I thought that was strange too. But I was told that was the rule before I signed up.

I thought that was strange too. But I was told that was the rule before I signed up.
    You may want to relay this to whomever that T.O. is that's running those events. Even if the events aren't sanctioned, it'll train newer players or existing players to use this method to determine the outcome of a match.

Which is close to the worst possible thing you can do at a Magic tournament.

I've played at stores where for small events the entry is $5 or so and the payout is like
    0-1 Wins: 1 Pack
    2 Wins: 2 Packs
    3 Wins: 3 Packs

In this structure a draw is exactly equivalent to a loss, so in round 3 if you're 2-0 and play against an opponent who is also 2-0 and you go to time then the only sensible thing to do is die roll for the win because otherwise you're just letting the store keep a pack for free. Of course you can try to argue that instead of rolling a die, one player should concede based on who is ahead in the current game (and for such low stakes people are often agreeable to this), but there is sometimes some grey area based on interpreting the gamestate (or some people are just really stubborn) so this is not always a realistic option.

Yes it's technically against the rules to randomly determine the winner but it doesn't make any sense not to do it in this situation, so the fact that everybody does it is basically an open secret

I Guess this is exactly my position. As game
    2 ended, we only had like 1 min left. So it would likely be impossible to determine who is ahead and we likely would not be able to even start game 3.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

I Guess this is exactly my position. As game
    2 ended, we only had like 1 min left. So it would likely be impossible to determine who is ahead and we likely would not be able to even start game 3.
    The point is, don't do it at any real tourney or you will get disqualified. As such, probably not a good habit to get into anywhere.

On a different note, anyone see any spoiled cards they are excited about? I thought these were worth at least mentioning...

1. Fry (https://mythicspoiler.com/m20/cards/fry.html) - could see sideboard play as the uncounterability and 5 damage are both relevant. With painter on blue it can hit lots of things. Honestly though, don't know that I would play it over bolt at this point though.

2. Scuttlemut (https://mythicspoiler.com/m20/cards/scuttlemutt.html) - it feels like this card wants to go into painter. I just wish it said "permanent" instead of "creature". The thing I like about it is that it is a fetchable white source of mana with recruiter and turns on our blasts as creature kill. Definitely too cute though.

3. Bag of Holding (https://mythicspoiler.com/m20/cards/bagofholding.html) - if someone really didn't like copter but wanted a similar effect this is an option. It does not synergize well with the goblins but it does with Karn. It's also pure card advantage when you pop it. Not great but if you were wanting to play the deck with more bridges this isn't terrible.

4. Brought Back (https://mythicspoiler.com/m20/cards/broughtback.html) - this is the one that is most interesting to me. The double white is rough for this deck and you would likely have to change the mana base a little to accomidate this card. However, if you are into shenanigans (not the actual card) then this is kinda cool. Weld out some cards and then put them back into play with this card? Get Karn back? Protect your combo? These all seem good. Would maybe consider 1-2 copies in SB. Just really wish it was only 1 white mana.

Anything else?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Scuttlebutt is a reprint so it's obviously bad. Bag is cool but probably worse than Copter. Bright back is sweet since you can maybe figure out a way to abuse it with LED but it's probably not worth it
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Veil of Summer seems interesting for a Rg version. I was trying that a while ago and this would be an interesting addition. Not quite worth considering a splash from shortcake though.

https://mythicspoiler.com/m20/cards/veilofsummer.html

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Veil of Summer is definitely a good card, just not in the right colors unfortunately.

So for anyone looking for some video content I recorded my most recent league and downloaded it to my youtube channel. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/m6AkJC9wZBs

So, I hit my first tournament for almost 3 years pedalling the latest Jack list, as a good place to start. I was a little rusty but went 2-2 winning back my entry fee. I have to say while I did spot a couple of misplays, I am not at a level that I can analyse my play and see improvement - yet. Where I need help is mulligan (we played London) and sideboarding, the wishboard is strong but makes the choice that little more complex.

Matchups:
    2-1, Mentor Echo Brew. Karn/Moon G1 got it. G2 (loss) 3 Eons and Narset (wtf?). G3 to time but Karn resolving caused a concession. Board out SSG, LP, ET, EC, in Bolts.

0-2, Karn Prison. G1 Turn 1 Challice at 1 followed by Karn and Liquimetal Coating - Ouch but wow! I concede. G2 Challice 1 and 2, Trinisphere Karn scion token. I play a moon. Dunno what I boarded but would like to know what I should...

1-2 Grixis Delver. G1 (loss) standard beat down, I have a bridge out that prolongs things but low lands (wasted) raises the bridge, I misplay a REB to Pyro raising the bridge for the alpha strike and GG. G2 He plays a Winter Orb seemingly forgetting its symmetrical and actual slows the game down nicely for me to pack a natural grind. G3 (loss) He early game surgically extracts my Painters and we head into the red zone with a gaggle of unlikely beaters. We are both on 6 I have a bolt in hand and three damage on him next turn when he double bolts me. I suspect I could have won this one if I was playing tighter but I am not sure. I board in bolts. What should I have boarded out though?

2-1 Czech Pile. G1 (loss) hand shred nothing to play. G2 Turn one moon gets immediate concession. G3 It's a slow game I get a natural grind after the third stone sticks. I only board in Needle.

Overall, I am happy with the result. I do miss the moon effects, especially with the greedy land bases I was up against. And those extra SSGs for monkey blasts will be missed. I have no idea what power Karn holds and I suspect I am going to be amazed. Watching him against me was great. Liquimetal coating was a beast, I am considering it instead of lattice but I can see that lattice is effectively a win if it sticks.

I'd like some general rules about mulliganing, I was looking for 1 red source, a second land or mana source, on curve with one or two lines to combo.

Sideboard, so many new lists... and walkers too. Do you wish or side?

I run 3/1 coating main/side in my mono red build. But I don’t see where you can find space in shortcake to be honest.

Nice tourney report! I think it’s important to find a decent karn-mirror answer. I suspect bolts aren’t good enough, and I’m not sure there is anything else that’d be effective and flexible enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    I run 3/1 coating main/side in my mono red build. But I don’t see where you can find space in shortcake to be honest.

Nice tourney report! I think it’s important to find a decent karn-mirror answer. I suspect bolts aren’t good enough, and I’m not sure there is anything else that’d be effective and flexible enough

Having played against Bomberman Karn several times I will say that the best card against other Karn decks is your own Karn. Again, it's one of the biggest reasons I play Karn as a 4 of (that, and that Karn just wins games). I am probably 90% against other Karn decks just because we do play painter + blasts and the bolts post SB. Most other Karn decks don't have a lot of non-artifact answers to our deck. So, if you play your own Karn then they can't use their liquimetal coating, or their ballistas to shoot things down. And against bomberman, the only thing they can really do is make a bunch of dudes with Mentor...at sorcery speed. You just have to know what cards in their deck are good against you. With the new mulligan rule, if I were playing against another Karn deck, I would likely mull to my own Karn or a really fast combo hand.

If you are looking for other sideboard cards to tackle Karn and other walkers in general I would consider Magmatic Sinkhole. I know we don't always have a huge graveyard to delve away but sinkhole does answer a lot of concerns. It pretty much kills every planeswalker, including both Jace and W6 after a plus, which bolt does NOT do (and that has been a little bit of a problem). It also kills big beaters like Gurmag and goyf (have other people noticed the big uptick in goyf online recently?). It might be worth at least splitting bolts with a couple of this card. Bolts usually though are good enough for opposing Karns because opponents usually tick down after casting it and that puts it in bolt range.

@Jungian Thing: First, I remember seeing you post a lot a long time ago. Good to see you back on here. Also, can I ask where your name comes from? As far as sideboarding against Grixis, if I were playing the standard list I would probably side out canonist, 1-2 fast mana and likely a recruiter (if you are playing 4x). Karn and resource restriction (eg moon..and tangle wire!) are highly valued in this MU as they have a lot of creature removal. I also think relic is a good side in in this match-up. You can control their graveyard to keep gurmag off the table and can make snapcaster and arcanist much worse. i'm wondering if black leyline is worth it now with london mull. You would still need a tormod's or something in the SB for karn so it takes up a lot of slots. But it is the one leyline that is really really good at what it does and turns off snapcaster, arcanist, gurmag, AK, and the obvious graveyard strategies.

Finally, on the more whimsical side of things, I've been impressed with some of the new lists playing snow lands and astrolabe so I put together a painter version of this. The cool thing is that you can play more basics and be much more resilient against wastelands. W6 + wasteland lock is getting more popular these days. Playing a plains in the main is also not as much of a concern as the astrolabe can turn it into a red mana. The astrolabes are also good wlder fodder (playing 4 welder and 3 engineer) and you can weld astrolabes in and out to generate card advantage. In my deck where I am playing tangle wire, they also offer other non-essential permanents to tap down on my turn. The biggest downside though is that, with all the sol lands we play, we don't always have access to snow mana and they can sometimes get stuck in your hand. They also compete with a lot of other turn 1 plays so it's sometimes a little more work to sequence properly. For anyone interested, this was the list I was trying:

4 x tomb
    3 x city
    5 x snow-covered mountain
    1 x snow-covered plains
    4 x Arid Mesa
    1 x Scalding Tarn (would play a Prismatic Vista here if I owned one)
    1 x Plateau
    1 x Great Furnace

4 x welder
    3 x engineer
    3 x painter
    3 x Recruiter
    1 x canonist
    1 x copter

4 x petal
    3 x astrolabe
    3 x grindstone
    4 x pyroblast
    1 x LED
    3 x e.tutor
    3 x Tangle Wire (could also see a 2 tangle wire/1 blood moon split)
    1 x bridge
    3 x Karn (only 3 karn in this list as mana is commonly a little more restricted with tangle wires and you are drawing more cards to find him)

SB
    2 x surgical
    3 x bolt
    typical wish package

Again, this is mostly for funsies but it has some really cool interactions. 2-0 so far in matches. Here's the 2nd match I've played: https://youtu.be/T6plivIHS9w

Sorry for the bad audio. I was in a coffee shop.

p.s. now that London mulligan is in full effect, I'm seeing a lot more leylines. I know it's not back breaking but it definitely makes our goblins a lot worse. Is dispeller's capsule worth a slot in the SB?

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    @Jungian Thing: First, I remember seeing you post a lot a long time ago. Good to see you back on here. Also, can I ask where your name comes from? As far as sideboarding against Grixis, if I were playing the standard list I would probably side out canonist, 1-2 fast mana and likely a recruiter (if you are playing 4x). Karn and resource restriction (eg moon..and tangle wire!) are highly valued in this MU as they have a lot of creature removal. I also think relic is a good side in in this match-up. You can control their graveyard to keep gurmag off the table and can make snapcaster and arcanist much worse. i'm wondering if black leyline is worth it now with london mull. You would still need a tormod's or something in the SB for karn so it takes up a lot of slots. But it is the one leyline that is really really good at what it does and turns off snapcaster, arcanist, gurmag, AK, and the obvious graveyard strategies.
    Hey Drude, I was posting awhile ago. Life got in the way and magic took a back seat with some casual edh but little else. I started as a DnT player, moved to infect and lastly hit Shortcake Painter where I plan to stay (can't wait to show my bling deck once all the cards arrive!).

Jungian Thing?

This. The what? ~NSFW - I guess...

Thanks for the sideboard advice. As I said, I'm a little rusty but what you say makes perfect sense. I like the leyline idea. I have been dreaming about [[serum powder]] as a one of. You have an 90% chance of hitting it if you mull to 0. Makes looking through your starting hands easier, I know it's jank but I like jank and it has seen legacy play.

I watched your video and [[astrolabe]] did some good work for you. There were some really smooth plays by you with the welder; the STP response, and the SoFaI play were both really sweet! Sure the opponent made some naive plays but you smashed them for it. You had a real opportunity to explain what and why more in the audio. I know the sound wasn't the best but you are a strong player, don't take for granted that me and other watchers are nowhere near as strong as you and are watching to learn and improve. Not a complaint just a suggestion. Keep on posting them, they are valuable. I watch them. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post

Thank you. Karn is a house. Really looking forward to seeing how the gravity well he is is warping the meta. Good time to get back into things when everyone else is saying wtf?

Guys, how do you feel the match-up against UR Delver? It seems terrible. Dreadhorde Arcanist is a very broken card, I think that even 4 Lightning Bolt in the sideboard aren't enough.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UNLIMITED View Post
    Guys, how do you feel the match-up against UR Delver? It seems terrible. Dreadhorde Arcanist is a very broken card, I think that even 4 Lightning Bolt in the sideboard aren't enough.
    I've only played it once and it rolled me

Thread Information