Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455
Results 1,081 to 1,098 of 1098

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Needs more Anarchy ;)
    New Painter deck in the works.

I don’t know if this will work in this deck but I feel it may be something.

Combo: Activate The Mycosynth Gardens when Phyrexian Dreadnought enters the battlefield and it becomes a 12/12.

Combo Also:

-Provides mana
    -Phyrexian Dreadnought is brought onto the battlefield with Urza’s Saga
    -Synergy with Goblin Welder and Goblin Engineer
    -Phyrexian Dreadnought can work with Torpor Orbs in sideboard
    -Alternate win condition

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Worobec View Post

I don’t know if this will work in this deck but I feel it may be something.

Combo: Activate The Mycosynth Gardens when Phyrexian Dreadnought enters the battlefield and it becomes a 12/12.

Combo Also:

-Provides mana
    -Phyrexian Dreadnought is brought onto the battlefield with Urza’s Saga
    -Synergy with Goblin Welder and Goblin Engineer
    -Phyrexian Dreadnought can work with Torpor Orbs in sideboard
    -Alternate win condition
    Can also copy Grindstone if they remove it.. sadly Painter doesn't work

May 2015
    PDX

The issue is that Painter stuff has basically nothing in common with Dreadnought. You'd have two combos in the same deck just tripping over eachother, leading to loss by variance.

There is also a glaring problem with trying to combine Ancient Tomb with Dreadnought. It never wins b/c it isn't blue, and Dreadnought is a blue card.

We can find some shared tools like Karn and Saga...but for every one of those you find problems like Torpor Orb killing your Goblin Engineer trigger, glaring vulnerability to Wasteland, not being able to use Dress Down or Stifle or Scroll of Fate or other Dreadnought tech. You also have a wincon currency problem: milling has zero synergy with attack for 12 dmg. You're just giving the opponent two "life total" pools to borrow against [actual life total and deck total].

This land gives a 2c deck with white the ability to use Prismatic Ending, albeit in a janky way - this is the floor. There's some stuff you can do with Karn wish Liquimetal (including Coat my Karn response opponent answer to Karn -> my land is my Karn now). You can also maybe decrease the amount of times Ensnaring Bridge causes you to lose b/c you can't keep it in play.

The bigger picture is that you get worse mana [another colorless source]...except it can slowly make colors...but with colorless mana on curve you can tutor colors with Timeless Dragon cycling. This complex means you can play a heavier Plains and white component (including Ending hitting above 2c, Karakas since you can cast stuff with it, etc).

This is going to play better than a poorly-supported janky Dreadnought package, which is still getting deleted by artifact wipes (you literally can't stop) and further compromising your access to colored mana vs Wasteland while you're sinkholing your mana total with Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
    Can also copy Grindstone if they remove it.. sadly Painter doesn't work
    Why not?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Why not?
    Only works as it comes into play. Would need printed static text "all perms are blue" to get that text from an already in-play clone effect.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The issue is that Painter stuff has basically nothing in common with Dreadnought. You'd have two combos in the same deck just tripping over eachother, leading to loss by variance.
    But this card does look good for Dreadstill, doesn't it?

Colorless uncounterable enabler means they have to Force the Dreadnought (2-for-1) instead of the Stifle (2-for-2).

It also means you can enable Dreadnought without casting spells (through an active Standstill). Urza's Saga -> Dreadnought -> copy with Gardens to make 12/12 without casting spells.

In other games it can copy Currency Converter or Scroll of Fate in response to removal.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    But this card does look good for Dreadstill, doesn't it?

Colorless uncounterable enabler means they have to Force the Dreadnought (2-for-1) instead of the Stifle (2-for-2).

It also means you can enable Dreadnought without casting spells (through an active Standstill). Urza's Saga -> Dreadnought -> copy with Gardens to make 12/12 without casting spells.

In other games it can copy Currency Converter or Scroll of Fate in response to removal.
    It does those things, but kinda wish it didn't lose card type land. More interested in whether or not the extra color ability + Currency's Petals can support 3rd color with zero dedicated 3rd color sources. Unfortunately the effect that most non-UW versions would want is Verdict (6 "mana" off an AstroLand).

There's some stuff you can do with Karn wish Liquimetal (including Coat my Karn response opponent answer to Karn -> my land is my Karn now). You can also maybe decrease the amount of times Ensnaring Bridge causes you to lose b/c you can't keep it in play.
    The land won't have any loyalty though, right? Kind of like Thespian Stage --> Dark Depths. So it won't really help.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    The land won't have any loyalty though, right? Kind of like Thespian Stage --> Dark Depths. So it won't really help.
    I can't remember the ruling, but I thought Post used to turn JTMS into a forest with a commander enchant permanent and they Stage copy to get a Jace and it working out. Maybe it was just a Vesuva thing; it's been a while since I saw the interaction.

Sep 2011

I can't remember the ruling, but I thought Post used to turn JTMS into a forest with a commander enchant permanent and they Stage copy to get a Jace and it working out. Maybe it was just a Vesuva thing; it's been a while since I saw the interaction.
    The ruling changed at some point. Stage-Depths combo only worked after some rule change for copying. That same rule might stop copying Karn (0 loyalty). Perhaps the old rule would have allowed it.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Posting current list I've been testing to have at least one update here in a few months :)

4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace

4 Urza's Saga
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Mox Opal
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

3 Grindstone
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Engineer
    3 Goblin Welder
    2 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Dragon Engine

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Lightning Bolt

1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Karn, the Great Creator

Side:

1 Grindstone
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Portable Hole
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Rip Apart
    2 Fury
    1 Magus of the Moon
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Oct 2013
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Posting current list I've been testing to have at least one update here in a few months :)

LIST
    Thanks for the update

The mono-red list is running all over the place. Do you think Shortcake still has the edge over the mono-red version? (or blue for that matter)

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Congrats on the sick run at EW, Kap! Happy to see Enlightened Tutor and Imperial Recruiter still show up from time to time.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post
    Congrats on the sick run at EW, Kap! Happy to see Enlightened Tutor and Imperial Recruiter still show up from time to time.
    Thank you Soldier I appreciate it

Top 8 report to come
    Strawberry Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

@Kap'n: I'm curious: You opted to not run Fable in your list, and although you had tons of detail in your report, I didn't see that point discussed. What factors went into your decision? Is there an environment where you would prefer Fable? Painter mirrors, maybe? If you ran it, would it slot right into your current list, or would it require a cascade of other changes? You did mention Fable's tendency to stock a junkyard for Goblins, so do you see it as a package deal with 8 Goblins?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    @Kap'n: I'm curious: You opted to not run Fable in your list, and although you had tons of detail in your report, I didn't see that point discussed. What factors went into your decision? Is there an environment where you would prefer Fable? Painter mirrors, maybe? If you ran it, would it slot right into your current list, or would it require a cascade of other changes? You did mention Fable's tendency to stock a junkyard for Goblins, so do you see it as a package deal with 8 Goblins?

Fable is an interesting pivot point in how you want to build the deck. The Don is one of the few others playing and testing Shortcake these days but talks about it here in a report too:

https://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/...erry-Shortcake

For it to be good you have to play it turn 1 or 2, which means 4 copies. It reads 2R - suspend 1 and when you get to your next turn you can start planning out the rest of the game but you don't know what your plan is til then, which means getting to 3 mana to cast Fables becomes the plan.

So if that's the plan, you get absolutely wrecked by storm combo, doomsday, reanimator, and any other deck that is going underneath you which is most of Legacy, including all the tempo decks if you are just operating on curve with them. The way you compensate is to cheat mana yourself, via cards like Fury, Leyline of the Void, and Mindbreak Trap since you can't hang with them and your bombs like Chaos Defiler and Forth Eorlingas are irrelevant.

It's an awesome glue card if you make it to the 'suspend' turn then yea you feel great, you pitch whatever, maybe have a goblin in play with a relevant yard target like Breya's apprentice and you swing and make a treasure. Then what, two turns later you have an active Kiki? Sounds like an insane turn 5.

Nowhere here did I mention anything about this being a Painter-Grindstone combo deck lol

The easiest parallels to 4 Fable are my 2 E-Tutor and 2 Recruiter. Always the card I want for the turn after and I can run singleton bullets. I run more mana and the LED becomes required when I'm not falling back on random Fables to fix everything for me.
    Strawberry Shortcake

#FreeNedleeds

Thread Information