Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

I went 3-0-1 at my LGS last night. Split in the last round. Would have ended up playing rug delver in the last round.

2-0 against Storm (substituted thoughtsieze and preordains for probes)

2-0 vs Zombardment (1 win by grindstone another by helm)

2-1 vs sneak and show.

For the SnS match I ended up bringing in 11 sideboard cards. It went something like +4 leyline of the void, +1 helm, +1 red elemental blast, +2 containment priest, +1 ethersworn canonist, +1 Rest In Peace, +1 ensnaring bridge.

-3 grindstone, -1 blood moon, -1 goblin welder, -1 imperial recruiter, -2 grim lavamancer, -2 Karn, -1 painter’s servant.

Game 1 lost to a show and tell into omniscience . I put in a canonist which he abraded a turn or two later. (Main deck abrade ughh) he eventually draws 7 and gets emrakul into play and I scoop.

Game 2 he mulls to 5 and I blast a show and tell. I get a bunch of dorks and a copter into play. I get a containment priest into play. He is out of cards too decks a pyroclasm. I get another containment priest into play and swing in for the win with copter.

Game 3 I get a turn zero leyline. He kept a sketchy hand with a petal and city of traitors . He tries to brainstorm off the petal and I blast it. I get a copter into play and start the beats. I eventually have an e tutor and I crew the copter with a dork and e tutor with the draw on the stack to get helm and discard it since I have an active welder in play for the win.

@Jack congrats on the top8. Glad to see Shortcake on top again. Looking forward to your report as well. I have a lot of the same questions as Drude, particularly regarding the Karn’s and 3rd welder. Also could you discuss why 4 pyroclasm over any targeted burn (like bolt, abrade, firebolt). Also what was your sideboarding plan vs D&T. Is that a matchup where you would board in the second moon? Do you board out a number of canonists/ REBs, and do you bring in Karn?
    Last edited by SDBobPlissken; 07-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    interested in the idea that the deck could be better positioned post ban - what makes you think so?

and also very excited for a report

We can actually use goblin welder to get painter servant back from the graveyard again, instead of having it get exiled by deathrite.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

And blood moon gets better. And I don't agree that people will be playing more stable Mana bases. Yes, they will probably have a couple basics in their deck but turn one or two blood moon is still really good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Hoping to get my report posted Thursday night or so. The card that has stood out the most has actually been copter. Small filter value has definitely been appreciated, in addition to many different situations it has seriously inhibited the opponent. I'll try to bring these situations up as well as board stuff in the report also.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Hoping to get my report posted Thursday night or so. The card that has stood out the most has actually been copter. Small filter value has definitely been appreciated, in addition to many different situations it has seriously inhibited the opponent. I'll try to bring these situations up as well as board stuff in the report also.
    Cool man saw your list. Hope you start streaming up again soon.
    Look forward to reading your report

Dec 2013
    NJ

I took Jack's list to the local 2k at Top Deck Games, went 4-2 to a 14/47 place finish. I beat S&T, D&T, ANT, and affinity. Lost to burn and UB landstill. UB landstill I bricked on lands one game which really hurt, and in another game a wasteland stopped me from fetching plateau when I had a hand full of white cards. Burn absolutely crushed me, it want even close. I think I might want 1 sphere of law or CoP in the board to be able to tutor up for burn matchups at any moderately sized event. I'm also still on the fence about swapping out a mountain for 1 basic plains in the deck. I think it's probably worth it for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by NormalGuy View Post
    I took Jack's list to the local 2k at Top Deck Games, went 4-2 to a 14/47 place finish. I beat S&T, D&T, ANT, and affinity. Lost to burn and UB landstill. UB landstill I bricked on lands one game which really hurt, and in another game a wasteland stopped me from fetching plateau when I had a hand full of white cards. Burn absolutely crushed me, it want even close. I think I might want 1 sphere of law or CoP in the board to be able to tutor up for burn matchups at any moderately sized event. I'm also still on the fence about swapping out a mountain for 1 basic plains in the deck. I think it's probably worth it for me personally.
    I have to agree with jack and Seth on a basic plains not being viable. I think running 3 plateau might be better. I am gonna take jacks list to Geekeryhq on Monday except I’m gonna run a spirit guide in place of the 4th petal and heretic in place of the ee. In place of heretic in the board I’m gonna run a containment priest.

Still looking forward to jack’s tournament report!

Feb 2008
    NYC

Sorry I have been away with life, work stuff, and medical licensing shit while so much has been happening. I am happy to see that you guys are still moving the deck forward. I know I haven't updated the list I have been playing but Jack and I have been essentially 73/75 for the past 2 months or so. I still feel that the Canonist is as strong as it was the night him and I were talking and decided to switch out the moon effects to go full Canonist in the main. Even with the DRS banning I would probably stay with the same configuration.

I know we also all you all a complete sideboarding guide. Unfortunately the banning upended a lot of that and we will need to start over there. My current sideboard is as follows

4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Pyroclasm
    1 EE
    3 Containment Priest
    1 Blast effect
    1 undecided at this time, but probably a Welder

A quick note, Karn should probably be in the 75, although I am still not sure where at this point. I bounce back and forth if he is good enough for the main or just certain match ups. I am not testing him at this point as I want to figure out the other pieces at this time. I also think the dude count should be 2/1/1 for Welder/Lavaman/Ballista in the main. I am thinking I will try and make the SCG Philly event this coming weekend, so this would be the configuration I would take to an open tournament.

Some quick thoughts about the sideboard choices. Interaction on turn zero is too important anymore. Surgical is superior to Leyline bc while you want them both in your opening hand, being able to playa drawn one is important for the splash damage the cards provide. While Surgical is slightly weaker against Reanimator and Dredge, it helps make Turbo Lands and Miracles much better. You also need the gravehate to work against any decks running Eldrazi. The notion that you have to either lean on the singleton Crypt or mull to Leyline is a terrible strategy in those match ups. Also it is important to note that if the Reanimator design that becomes more popular, turn zero is less important, and allowing a grave hate that can be played when drawn should actually allow you to fight better over an extended event. The other choices are just general good stuff. I am thinking the Canonists also will help Show and Tell variants while giving us dudes to crew with. They are showing some promise in testing although its early, but I like the way we can add so many hate pieces to the deck in some match ups all while using the Copter to apply pressure and give us psuedo cantrips.

In other news I will soon be writing for a buddies card store website. The first thing they wanted me to come up with was a Painter series. Unsure how many articles it will become but I think I am at 9 pages so far. Nothing earth shattering for you all, but it will include some thoughts on the deck over the next couple months as the format shakes out. I will post a link here when it goes live.

Free Nedleeds, keep painting, and sorry to the international players for the fucktard that is visiting overseas.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Dang a whole article series?? Looking forward to it, glad to see work on the deck is still happening.

3 Containment priest is interesting. The SB seems heavily geared to be Sneak and Show, which makes sense since it seems like a bad matchup and a common one.

I'm probably gonna try the deck out again at a couple weeklies coming up here, will try to report back. Good luck in Philly!
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Feb 2008
    NYC

It’s funny you mention the board. Jack and I spoke for like 40 minutes last night going over it. I fully acknowledge that it’s wrong but I want to test out certain match ups and I need the numbers to see the cards frequently enough. In the end Karn will be part of the deck but I’m waiting till the meta shakes out to fit him in. My thoughts on that are that for the next two months or so I imagine the meta may be in flux. So I wanted some answers to decks I know we are weak to or we’re otherwise not hit by the bannning.

Miracles- extra welders and blast are strong here. Hard to say where the deck will go now but I think we are favored. The match up is tough but with good play I think it is positive. The Surgicals also really help here as getting rid of STP and Terminus and stopping those shenanigans is huge.

Elves-Not much changes. They still can swarm fast. Pyroclasm and lavaman are amazingly my here. Containment Priest also does a lot as NO is really how they will beat you quickly. I am pretty sure that it also shuts off zenith, although I can’t check now as I’m on a subway.

Show and Tell- it’s rough. Containment priest should help but this one is a battle. You need the grave hate as winning games without the combo is possible but not very probable, so removing Eldrazi is key.

Tempo-I have no idea how the various rug, bug, and other lists will shake out. Blasts and pyroclasm with EE is generally strong here. Obviously the blast also can provide value.

Reanimator- I will also say that gravehate needs to be castable. I don’t nderstand the argument for leyline, but I will take Surgical as it may be slightly better. It is unclear if faster RB or more consistent UB will win out. In the case of UB, Surgical is probably just better. We also have crypt.

Lands- crypt and surgical allow you to get rid of dark depths. That buys you time. With the new ruling on Blood Moon, the change to more fast mana, trying to shut off their lands can often be a liability as you lose the sol lands.

Storm- Nothing really changes.

I’m on a train. Sorry for the typos.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Went 2-2 at my LGS tonight. Won against RUG Delver and UWr Stoneblade. Lost to UB reanimator and RUG Delver. Won game 1 vs UB reanimator and could not draw any hate games 2 and 3. Brought in 2 containment priest, 4 surgical, and a tormods crypt.

I won against rug Delver due to him being on one land game 1 and I basically just raced him with a canonist after getting a blood moon down. Game 3 I had to mull to 5 and had a turn 1 blood moon which he had no answer to.

There were 4 reanimator decks, at least 2 SNeak and show, and at least 3 RUG Delver decks running around. If RUG continues to be a problem I think I might go back up on the moon count (currently playing 1 main and 1 side). Also it seems like UB reanimator is the top dog over Br. Maybe Rest In Peace Helm is the way to go as it also gives us time against Goyfs and mongooses while also having the extra combo in helm.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Its nice to see that others are seeing some wins with the deck.

With respect to the sideboard, I would recommend just standing pat at this time. Maybe RiP and Helm over Surgical but otherwise I would just suggest running out there what I threw up. The reason for this is we need at least 2 things before we can fine tune the hate pieces.
    1. The meta will run some rehashes of older decks, and at least one or two will emerge or change percentages.
    2. This will give decks like Miracles and the tempo shells to adjust and adapt to the proper hate.

Once both of these things happen, we will know which types of Reanimator, Stoneblade, and Tempo shells are the strongest along with knowing where Miracles goes. It will also show us which variants of Show and Tell are the most important. It isn't until we know that can we figure out the best hate pieces. Until then I really think the more generic ones that have a great deal over overlap are the best course moving forward.

Anyone going to Philly this weekend?

Seth

We get that Kap'n Cook tourney report yet or nah? I know people are busy.

Looking to build. Might be picking up Cities tonight and the rest I own or will fall in place easily.

Dec 2013
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post

Anyone going to Philly this weekend?

Seth
    I'm going to try to make it to Philly on sunday for the legacy classic.

May 2018
    Philadephia, PA

Hey guys! Thinking about putting this together. Is there a Discord for this deck?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by drynne_ View Post
    Hey guys! Thinking about putting this together. Is there a Discord for this deck?
    This is apparently one for all painter variants, split into different archetypes...

https://discord.gg/3u8Ye9f

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gonna try to make it to Philly. Just went 4-1 in a league playing with 4 blood moons main. I played against:

UB Landstill 2-1
    Grixis Delver 2-0
    UR Delver 2-1
    SNeak and show 2-1
    Some sort of BUG with basics 1-2

I was playing 4 moons main:

4 ancient tomb
    2 arid Mesa
    1 bloodstained mire
    3 city of traitors
    3 mountain
    3 plateau
    1 great furnace
    2 scalding tarn

3 lotus petal

3 enlightened tutor
    2 goblin welder
    4 pyroblast
    1 red elemental blast
    4 grindstone
    1 walking ballista

2 ethersworn canonist
    4 painter’s servant
    4 smugglers copter

4 blood moon
    4 imperial recruiter
    2 simian spirit guide
    1 viashino heretic
    1 ensnaring bridge

1 Karn, Scion on Urza

Sideboard:

2 containment priest
    2 ethersworn canonist
    4 Rest In Peace
    3 pyroclasm
    1 tormods crypt
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 helm of obedience
    1 engineered explosives

Thinking of dropping a canonist in the board for an additional red elemental blast.
    Hoping for the meta to stabilize soon. The decks I faced this league, I didn’t face at all last league.
    Last edited by SDBobPlissken; 07-21-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

5-0d first league with the updated post-challenge list, it’s prolly posted somewhere and 4-1d the next. Feel the most confident I have in probably 2+ years in the list. Really encourage everyone to pick it up if you haven’t painted in a while. Board right now is the following and I’ll make sure to update the opening post with new info this week

Board

4 pyroclasm
    4 surgical
    2 priest
    1 crypt
    1 welder
    2 Karn
    1 viashino heretic
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jul 2011
    AZ

Went 3-0 tonight at a LGS playing Jack's 75. 2-0 vs ANT, 2-0 vs Elves and 2-0 vs DnT. Ethersworn Cannonist turned out to be great, and blood moon was surprisingly good vs Elves. First time playing the deck and really enjoyed how it felt (:

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    5-0d first league with the updated post-challenge list, it’s prolly posted somewhere and 4-1d the next. Feel the most confident I have in probably 2+ years in the list. Really encourage everyone to pick it up if you haven’t painted in a while. Board right now is the following and I’ll make sure to update the opening post with new info this week

Board

4 pyroclasm
    4 surgical
    2 priest
    1 crypt
    1 welder
    2 Karn
    1 viashino heretic
    Mind making it easy for us with an exact list? maindeck?

Thread Information