Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 567

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

  1. #381
    Member
    8bit9mm's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    TN
    Posts

    154

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Yes, this is true. But from what I recall miracles was the only deck mentioned and they had no regard for the splash damage it would create for other decks. Also banning counterbalance would have helped with the timing issue. Topping once on your turn and once at the end of an opponent’s turn doesn’t take as much time as topping once on your turn, once on your opponents turn, and then for every spell that your opponent attempts to resolve. Throw in brainstorms, and fetch lands to dig and reshuffle and then top all over again in order to try and get the correct cmc with counterbalance. Counterbalance enabled you to stretch out time with top. If it was banned instead of top it wouldn’t have only mainly affected miracles and maybe high tide. Some lists were playing a playset in the sideboard.
    Exactly this. Top wasn't really the actual offender for timing issues. Counterbalance is the only real reason to ever have to top more than once per turn (if you don't have short-term memory loss).

  2. #382

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Exactly this. Top wasn't really the actual offender for timing issues. Counterbalance is the only real reason to ever have to top more than once per turn (if you don't have short-term memory loss).
    Top was banned both because of Miracle's dominance and because of timing issues. See here.

    It was the wrong ban (should have been terminus), but the format is more fun without CB / Top.

  3. #383

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Hisa View Post
    Top was banned both because of Miracle's dominance and because of timing issues. See here.

    It was the wrong ban (should have been terminus), but the format is more fun without CB / Top.
    I never really had a problem with terminus. Just leave a recruiter in hand and start the chain again. I hadn’t played other decks at that time, but wouldn’t you just not deploy all of your threats to play around terminus?

    Banning counterbalance would have had the same effect on timing issues and miracles dominance. I agree that the format is a lot more fun without countertop.

    Unban top, ban counterbalance!

  4. #384

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Hi all, I guess I'm a strawberry shortcake player. I played this game during ice ages, and a couple buddies and I started playing online a few years ago now. It all started when I started playing iona, and then found painter as a lock. I was actually playing a green variant that included natural order and some other rando cards. Eventually that led into playing a reanimation version that was also iona, but also had some toolbox creatures. the game has changed a lot.

    anyway, I was searching around for synergies last year and stumbled on the imperial version and started tinkering around with it. I probably have a variant for every color at this point.

    I found this group last night, and just wanted to say hi, I'm playing a slight different r/w version that includes chaotic backlash as a 2ndary wincon. your resources here have been fun as I tinker around with the recipe.

    cheers!

  5. #385
    Bob Ross
    Kap'n Cook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2012
    Location

    West Coast
    Posts

    525

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    I never really had a problem with terminus. Just leave a recruiter in hand and start the chain again. I hadn’t played other decks at that time, but wouldn’t you just not deploy all of your threats to play around terminus?

    Banning counterbalance would have had the same effect on timing issues and miracles dominance. I agree that the format is a lot more fun without countertop.

    Unban top, ban counterbalance!

    Certainly seems like it should have been simple enough right? The problem was never sandbagging a threat to rebuild, it was you only really ever got one small window to try to win against them, while they could punt their ass off and still blind flip fuck you. You can recover from one terminus, maybe the second, but definitely not the third, and this isn't even counting Snap+Swords, Jace, or a resolved counterbalance on any turn. That probably goes for every legacy deck facing OG miracles. Don't forget the old standby of masturbating with a mentor either.


    The most fucked thing about Miracles was that since Counterbalance effectively locked the entire format out of resolving spells, chaining 3 mana 1/1's over 8 turns was more broken than Show and Tell into Griselbrand
    Strawberry Shortcake

    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

    What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

  6. #386
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    941

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Don't forget the old standby of masturbating with a mentor either.
    This is where I learned the power of Sulfur Elemental in the sideboard. I originally thought it was just for Death and Taxes. Boy was I wrong. The fact that we can't tutor for it makes me ITCH to play a 3rd copy, especially against Miracles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  7. #387
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    615

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Oh how I miss top. The true weakness of this deck is that we can't keep up with all the card advantage/fixing that other decks have. Copter isn't terrible but it's obviously nowhere near as powerful as top was. I'm really having troubles with miracles again lately just because I am getting buried by all of their card draw. Is playing a couple Karn main viable? Would that even tip the scales enough? Can't they just print some top-like card that just isn't quite as broken? Jesus, is it that hard?!?

    P.s. chaotic backlash is kinda hilarious. Just a little spendy.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  8. #388
    Member
    8bit9mm's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    TN
    Posts

    154

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Oh how I miss top. The true weakness of this deck is that we can't keep up with all the card advantage/fixing that other decks have. Copter isn't terrible but it's obviously nowhere near as powerful as top was. I'm really having troubles with miracles again lately just because I am getting buried by all of their card draw. Is playing a couple Karn main viable? Would that even tip the scales enough? Can't they just print some top-like card that just isn't quite as broken? Jesus, is it that hard?!?

    P.s. chaotic backlash is kinda hilarious. Just a little spendy.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I mean, we used to play with 2 Chandra in the main (at least I did).
    I don't see why we couldn't tweak the build to include 1-2 MD Karn.

  9. #389

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Went 3-1 good for 1st place at the LGS tonight running 3 moons and 1 cannonist. Beat UB and RB reanimator, UB death's shadow and lost to charbelcher. Weirdly enough I won despite blood moon being bad in most of those matchups and never blasting a naturally blue spell. Copter was incredible, chumping an Iona over and over thanks to welder while I got combo online. Also managed to race an Iona naming blue after I landed painter naming blue. Player 1 of Karn and wished I had a second. Karn+copter was a fast enough clock to close out games before my opponents recovered from stumbles.
    The deck was a load of fun, and even when I though I was stone cold dead the deck still had legs. Favorite moment was ripping painter off the top at 4 life vs death shadow and immediately firing off 3 blasts to clean up angler double shadow and stroll away with the game
    Last edited by finksfinksfinks; 02-15-2019 at 02:35 PM.

  10. #390

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Gonna be rockin' out Painter at SCG Syracuse this weekend.
    The Night HE Came Home.

  11. #391
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    941

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Gonna be rockin' out Painter at SCG Syracuse this weekend.
    I want to go and do the same, but I simply don't have enough reps. Live Legacy is very hard to come by, locally :( What's your list?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  12. #392

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    It's probably going to be similar to a stock Shortcake list, with a few modifications I haven't solidified yet. I'm also experimenting with a shade of blue for some added sideboard utility.
    The Night HE Came Home.

  13. #393
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    941

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    It's probably going to be similar to a stock Shortcake list, with a few modifications I haven't solidified yet. I'm also experimenting with a shade of blue for some added sideboard utility.
    Trinket Mage? Cuz I'd love a way to get EE while under Chalice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  14. #394
    Member
    8bit9mm's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2017
    Location

    TN
    Posts

    154

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Trinket Mage? Cuz I'd love a way to get EE while under Chalice.
    I've been playing UR with Trinket Mage for the last few months now, with some Shortcake sprinkled throughout.
    Trinket Mage tends to over-perform and has gotten me out of some tricky spots.

  15. #395

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Mine is really more Shortcake - with only a very minimal amount of blue. Some of the cards I was looking at were:

    Trinket Mage
    Flusterstorm
    Hydroblast
    Blue Elemental Blast
    Izzet Staticaster
    Man-o'-War


    Stuff like that. I'm also aware this is outside of the realm of Shortcake talk, so I'll play nice here.
    The Night HE Came Home.

  16. #396
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    941

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    I've been playing UR with Trinket Mage for the last few months now, with some Shortcake sprinkled throughout.
    Trinket Mage tends to over-perform and has gotten me out of some tricky spots.
    It's nice to hear my analysis validated. However, I'm not sure it's worth losing Blood Moon's "oops I win" power. On the other hand, everyone seems to be playing Painter with 3 colors, so maybe Blood Moon is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  17. #397

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    It's nice to hear my analysis validated. However, I'm not sure it's worth losing Blood Moon's "oops I win" power. On the other hand, everyone seems to be playing Painter with 3 colors, so maybe Blood Moon is overrated.
    It's really not. It's the best card in the deck, actually. There's this misconception that Blood Moon loses stock; it'll never lose stock - it wins games by itself. It only may seem like it's lost value because there's one in the deck, but that's due to Enlightened Tutor. The card just shuts down so many decks and forces opponents to play around it (which is another advantage of running one with Tutor).
    The Night HE Came Home.

  18. #398
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    941

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    It's really not. It's the best card in the deck, actually. There's this misconception that Blood Moon loses stock; it'll never lose stock - it wins games by itself. It only may seem like it's lost value because there's one in the deck, but that's due to Enlightened Tutor. The card just shuts down so many decks and forces opponents to play around it (which is another advantage of running one with Tutor).
    I'm working under the assumption that running 3 colors necessitates losing the Blood Moon plan. I could definitely be wrong. I need people to weigh in.

    If I'm correct, that means people are picking the strength of 3 colors over the strength of Blood Moon. I suppose the correct answer will vary based on Blood Moon's strength according to local meta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  19. #399

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    The classic splashing blue for cards that aren't brainstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

    I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

    Good day.

  20. #400

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    I'm working under the assumption that running 3 colors necessitates losing the Blood Moon plan. I could definitely be wrong. I need people to weigh in.
    You would keep at least one in; it's too intrinsically powerful. The deck still runs 3-4 Lotus Petals, so you can still cast things off them if need be.

    If I'm correct, that means people are picking the strength of 3 colors over the strength of Blood Moon. I suppose the correct answer will vary based on Blood Moon's strength according to local meta.
    Even with two colors, folks are going to one Blood Moon. A third color just to open up a few options out of the board isn't going to break the deck, and you should still run one Moon in the main - but it will cautiously drift it away from a R/w "Shortcake" definition.
    The Night HE Came Home.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)