Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Feb 2008
    NYC

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

@ Hollywood- when are you getting to Pittsburg? I am planning on getting in Thursday am. I am actually not even bringing Vintage cards as I solely plan to play Legacy and Old school. DO you have a list? We can talk shop come Thursday.

Also, any other Painters in general going to be in Pittsburg?

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    @ Hollywood- when are you getting to Pittsburg? I am planning on getting in Thursday am. I am actually not even bringing Vintage cards as I solely plan to play Legacy and Old school. DO you have a list? We can talk shop come Thursday.

Also, any other Painters in general going to be in Pittsburg?

Seth
    For EW? I'll be there, still undecided on what I want to go 0-3 drop with but i'm leaning heavily towards painter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

I'll be there and playing some sort of painter. Just not sure which version yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Still haven't decided what iteration of Painter I'll be playing, though.

Feb 2008
    NYC

@ Hollywood- Cool. I mean I will be there playing Old School but happy to talk shop and the like.

That goes for anyone, happy to chat with any Painters in attendance. Depending how Old School is I may enter the main Legacy event at this point. Deck feels pretty good right now, and the Sideboard is playing well these days.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Jun 2012
    uk

Hey guys,

I tried Imperial Painter back when Top was still a thing and sold the Recruiters right before Top got banned. Still have the remaining cards of the deck though and was tempted to buy back into Recruiters, make this deck again and make it my alt deck (currently playing Lands and Pox atm to show off my Tabernacle lol). I really want to see how good Smuggler's Copter is.

Looking at Jack Kitchen's deck that he took to an SCG recently I noticed that there was only 1 Blood Moon. Any reason why there's no Magus of the Moon and it's been trimmed down so much? Does it become another good target for Enlightened Tutor or something?

Well done to Jack for his play btw, especially for beating Matthew Vook's 4c deck.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post
    Hey guys,

I tried Imperial Painter back when Top was still a thing and sold the Recruiters right before Top got banned. Still have the remaining cards of the deck though and was tempted to buy back into Recruiters, make this deck again and make it my alt deck (currently playing Lands and Pox atm to show off my Tabernacle lol). I really want to see how good Smuggler's Copter is.

Looking at Jack Kitchen's deck that he took to an SCG recently I noticed that there was only 1 Blood Moon. Any reason why there's no Magus of the Moon and it's been trimmed down so much? Does it become another good target for Enlightened Tutor or something?

Well done to Jack for his play btw, especially for beating Matthew Vook's 4c deck.
    Most painters these days are under the impression that Blood Moon just isn't that good of a card anymore. People are playing a lot more basics and so the card isn't as strong as it used to be. Canonist is acting as the new prison piece. Others (such as myself) still think the card is still a 4 of, mostly because grixis decks are still huge (not to mention the other decks punished by Blood Moon such as Lands, infect, Eldrazi and the resurgence of BUG) and if you are going to play blood moon you want it on turn 1-2 when the opponent hasn't had the opportunity to fetch their basics.

And on that note, @Kapn, you asked. So here is the the straight shortcake list that I am playing right now:
    // Shortcake

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Lotus Petal

// 16 Creature
    3 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Goblin Cratermaker

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Blood Moon

// 9 Instant
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Red Elemental Blast

// 19 Land
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Great Furnace
    3 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Plains
    2 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Goblin Cratermaker
    SB: 1 Sphere of Law
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Abrade
    SB: 3 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 1 Karn, Scion of Urza

Here is the pile that I have honestly been playing the most and having the most success with:

// Devil's Cake

// 60 Maindeck
    // 14 Artifact
    4 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Mox Opal

// 13 Creature
    3 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Ethersworn Canonist

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Blood Moon

// 8 Instant
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Red Elemental Blast

// 19 Land
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Great Furnace
    2 Mountain
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Plains
    1 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa
    1 Badlands

// 2 Planeswalker
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast

// 15 Sideboard

SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
    SB: 1 Phyrexian Revoker
    SB: 1 Goblin Cratermaker
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Dread of Night
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Sudden Shock
    SB: 1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge

I still just really like Daretti. He answers so many problems. He takes out creatures and artifacts. He makes tokens to crew copter or as fodder for welder. And his ultimate is very relevant. I also have a good number of sideboard cards in black that I like to swap in and out depending on what I am seeing the most of. The small amount of black isn't really hurting me given my mana base. I also really like the opals as they can act as fast mana (I have frequently cast a turn 1 blood moon on furnace, opal, petal) but it also sticks around and I feel less mana screwed with this list than the straight R/W list. I know most people will think this is a pile, particularly given all the 3 of's. It has just been working for me. As you can see, I am definitely on 4 Blood Moon in both lists. This is again because of the MU's I've listed above. It's the only strategy that I have found that is consistently strong against Grixis lists, even if they do get out 1 or 2 of their basics. And again, I don't begrudge anyone for playing the 1 x blood moon list either. You obviously have had some success with it. I really do like canonist and the first change I would make to either of my lists would be to get the 4th in the deck. However, I do feel like 4 x blood moon is more important, as you really want it on turn 1-2, whereas canonist can come down a little later (except against STORM) and still be effective.

I used to play the shortcake a long while back before the copter tech and good lord am i loving this new advancement. I've been pretty lost since the bannings but its so refreshing to come back to painter combo in legacy.

I do agree that moon isnt at its best which is sad because i played the 8 moon deck a lot in the past :(. It is especially bad in my meta so i am on the 1 mainboard moon list.
    I'm kind of shocked that pia and kiran nalar aren't in the lists anymore as they are super value, is Karn really worth not being tutorable for?

4 cannonist is a bit jarring to me, i feel like revoker has a bit more utility in it. After reading the reports im warming up a bit more to it though i'll have to get the last one to try a full set.

I played this list tonight and i think i'll try
    -1 LED (outdated) -1 REB (seemed a bit much running 6 main)
    +1 canonist +1 smugglers copter

Main Deck
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    4x Arid Mesa
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Plateau
    3x Mountain
    1x Great Furnace

1x Blood Moon
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    1x Lion's Eye Diamond

4x Painter's Servant
    1x Goblin Cratermaker
    1x Grim Lavamancer
    1x Simian Spirit Guide
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Walking Ballista
    1x pia and kiran nalar
    3x Smuggler's Copter
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Goblin Welder

4x Lotus Petal
    4x Grindstone
    3x Enlightened Tutor
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast

Sideboard
    4 surgical extraction
    1 vexing shusher
    1 assemble the legion
    1 sorcerous spyglass
    2 pyroclasm
    1 wear // tear
    1 duerar hedge-mage
    1 grafdiggers cage (better vs elves than tormods which matters in my meta)
    1 pithing needle
    1 containment priest
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 blood moon (i'd love to up the count but my meta is full of basics and no delver atm)

I think Welder is in too good of a spot now to warrant less than three in any iteration of Painter. Since Deathrite is gone, it makes it that much better - especially on the play against Chalice decks - and really helps blank opponents' counter-magic with added redundancy.

I don't think four Ethersworn Canonist is correct, though. I know a lot of decks play cantrips and try to find answers, but those same decks also pack loads of instants to handle key cards. It also makes K-Command scarier. I think two is fine, and if there's loads of fast combo around you, three should be more than enough.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Played in two events this past weekend. For the first, I swapped in a cratermaker for the maindeck ee and another in the side and literally the first game I played out a fetch with a tutor in hand and was met by a chalice I couldn't tutor removal for. So that went downhill from there, and I played some other weird matchups and kept bad hands after I was out of contention going 2-4 overall. I used that time to more just think about the list since I already knew I didn't like it and wanted to have both cratermaker and ee in the main. Hollywood I think you're correct on the canonists. It has proven really good and I still like a bunch maindeck, but its success has also been skewed by a lack of random decks so far in testing. As that has normalized, I found myself boarding them out a lot, which definitely makes me comfortable going to 3. I made that switch, putting ee back in the main and played the challenge yesterday, going 5-2, losing to elves and bigger eldrazi.

I also want to say that everyone should keep testing a ton of random shit to see what sticks and what is working. Like Dan testing Daretti. It looks awesome and seems perfect for copter and welder, I just don't think I am ready to add a third color yet and to be honest I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how it would start changing the manabase, although I would start with what he's been playing if you like that route. It definitely would open up some cool sideboard targets like E-plague or Chains lol. Same goes for Blood Moon numbers. I can't fault anyone for wanting to run more than 1 main, and I have definitely wanted to start adding at least the 2nd somewhere in the 75 as a backup vs depths. The issue is more that greater testing in general needs to be done, as the deck in its current state is still only three months old which is nothing. I still have two karn in there, as I am not sure what decks will present themselves as really bad matchups, but they are the easy cuts if any dedicated hate is wanted.

Thinking I am going to test this in the coming weeks. Thoughts on this list appreciated, areas of concern, etc:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Plateau
    3 Mountain
    1 Great Furnace

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Walking Ballista

1 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Grindstone
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Blood Moon

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Enlightened Tutor

Side:
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    3 Pyroclasm
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Flex (Heretic/Hedge mage/4th canonist/etc)
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

I’ve been really woofing it up lately with the deck. Went 1-2-drop and 0-1-1 drop at my last two LGS legacy tournaments . Tonight I had losses to storm and lands which is almost embarrassing. Drew against UWb Walker standstill. After the last two weeks I think that revoker might be what is missing in my 75 at least for the meta at my LGS. Think I’m gonna replace a canonist with it.

Apr 2017
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Played in two events this past weekend. For the first, I swapped in a cratermaker for the maindeck ee and another in the side and literally the first game I played out a fetch with a tutor in hand and was met by a chalice I couldn't tutor removal for. So that went downhill from there, and I played some other weird matchups and kept bad hands after I was out of contention going 2-4 overall. I used that time to more just think about the list since I already knew I didn't like it and wanted to have both cratermaker and ee in the main. Hollywood I think you're correct on the canonists. It has proven really good and I still like a bunch maindeck, but its success has also been skewed by a lack of random decks so far in testing. As that has normalized, I found myself boarding them out a lot, which definitely makes me comfortable going to 3. I made that switch, putting ee back in the main and played the challenge yesterday, going 5-2, losing to elves and bigger eldrazi.

I also want to say that everyone should keep testing a ton of random shit to see what sticks and what is working. Like Dan testing Daretti. It looks awesome and seems perfect for copter and welder, I just don't think I am ready to add a third color yet and to be honest I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how it would start changing the manabase, although I would start with what he's been playing if you like that route. It definitely would open up some cool sideboard targets like E-plague or Chains lol. Same goes for Blood Moon numbers. I can't fault anyone for wanting to run more than 1 main, and I have definitely wanted to start adding at least the 2nd somewhere in the 75 as a backup vs depths. The issue is more that greater testing in general needs to be done, as the deck in its current state is still only three months old which is nothing. I still have two karn in there, as I am not sure what decks will present themselves as really bad matchups, but they are the easy cuts if any dedicated hate is wanted.

Thinking I am going to test this in the coming weeks. Thoughts on this list appreciated, areas of concern, etc:
    List looks good, I think moving to 3 Canonists to fit in a Cratermaker together with EE makes sense. I've been trying to find space for a Revoker maindeck, having tested it in the side and found myself wanting it often. It has a lot of utility against various things, and I think having it available as a tutor target in game 1 is worthwhile—it helps against Sneak and Show, planeswalkers, Depths decks (well, only Hexmage), equipment (I've found that a Jitte you can't immediately answer can be problematic), Inkmoth out of infect (edit: actually no, whoops), and even storm.

For example, one of the biggest issues against EldraziPost is Ugin, and Revoker gives you a proactive out. There are very few matchups where it does nothing, and the failcase is fine given that it still crews the copter.

I'm not sure how I feel about cutting down to 2 Canonists to fit it in, but it's definitely an option. Canonist is a card that's good against the cantrip decks and excellent against storm, but in the former case I don't often find myself in a position to tutor for it because it's good incrementally rather than providing value immediately. This makes me think that having it in higher numbers is to be preferred since you'd rather draw it naturally/have it in play early.

Another option, although possibly not a good one, would be to go with the Elves philosophy of playing 61 cards to facilitate extra tutor targets. I doubt this is optimal given we are at heart a combo deck looking to draw specific combo pieces, but I thought I'd raise it nevertheless.

A different cut/reshuffle I can see would be Walking Ballista, which is a great card but also shines out of the board. Depending on meta, I think Revoker might be better positioned at the moment. There's less DnT than there was, for instance, and Ballista isn't great against Grixis or combo decks.

I've also been experimenting with only playing 5 blasts in the maindeck, but I think having the extra blast is worth it against much of the field, as there's plenty of blue running around to make it good even without a painter in play.

Regarding Blood Moon, I feel like either you want to be maximising your chances of having it on turn 1/2 or only having it around as a tutor target—so I would probably play 4 or just play 1, rather than anything in between. In contrast to a creature, it's failcase is doing stone-cold nothing, particularly in the builds that are heavier on white to facilitate Canonist but don't play a basic plains.
    Last edited by jasper; 10-18-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    List looks good, I think moving to 3 Canonists to fit in a Cratermaker together with EE makes sense. I've been trying to find space for a Revoker maindeck, having tested it in the side and found myself wanting it often. It has a lot of utility against various things, and I think having it available as a tutor target in game 1 is worthwhile—it helps against Sneak and Show, planeswalkers, Depths decks, equipment (I've found that a Jitte you can't immediately answer can be problematic), Inkmoth out of infect, and even storm.

For example, one of the biggest issues against EldraziPost is Ugin, and Revoker gives you a proactive out. There are very few matchups where it does nothing, and the failcase is fine given that it still crews the copter.

I'm not sure how I feel about cutting down to 2 Canonists to fit it in, but it's definitely an option. Canonist is a card that's good against the cantrip decks and excellent against storm, but in the former case I don't often find myself in a position to tutor for it because it's good incrementally rather than providing value immediately. This makes me think that having it in higher numbers is to be preferred since you'd rather draw it naturally/have it in play early.

Another option, although possibly not a good one, would be to go with the Elves philosophy of playing 61 cards to facilitate extra tutor targets. I doubt this is optimal given we are at heart a combo deck looking to draw specific combo pieces, but I thought I'd raise it nevertheless.

A different cut/reshuffle I can see would be Walking Ballista, which is a great card but also shines out of the board. Depending on meta, I think Revoker might be better positioned at the moment. There's less DnT than there was, for instance, and Ballista isn't great against Grixis or combo decks.

I've also been experimenting with only playing 5 blasts in the maindeck, but I think having the extra blast is worth it against much of the field, as there's plenty of blue running around to make it good even without a painter in play.

Regarding Blood Moon, I feel like either you want to be maximising your chances of having it on turn 1/2 or only having it around as a tutor target—so I would probably play 4 or just play 1, rather than anything in between. In contrast to a creature, it's failcase is doing stone-cold nothing, particularly in the builds that are heavier on white to facilitate Canonist but don't play a basic plains.
    Just an fyi, revoker doesn't hit inkmoth or depths combo (except hexmage I guess).
    I do totally agree with the 1 or 4 moon philosophy. I do also like cratermaker but have also run into the nombo with painter a couple times now. It's not something you can't play around. It's just super awkward.

Apr 2017
    London

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Just an fyi, revoker doesn't hit inkmoth or depths combo (except hexmage I guess).
    I do totally agree with the 1 or 4 moon philosophy. I do also like cratermaker but have also run into the nombo with painter a couple times now. It's not something you can't play around. It's just super awkward.

You’re right, my bad. Will edit my post to reflect that—I’ve been playing with Spyglass too much.

Yup, it’s happened to me as well. But you can play around it, and you have ways of getting rid of Painter if you absolutely need to, Welder being the cleanest. Especially given that Cratermaker can still blow up creatures, I think it’s a downside worth getting used to and learning to play around.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Kap'n - what matchup's are you boarding in Karn?

Drude1 - I see you posting about shortcake and the mono-blue builds, do you have a personal preference or thoughts on which is better and if so why?

For what it's worth, I'll be rocking a whole new iteration of Painter at EW.

As a new player to this deck I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this list? I like the idea of playing daretti so I wanted to try mardu.

3 Goblin Welder
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Painter's servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Grindstone
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blood Moon
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Great Furnace
    2 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    2 Wooded Foothills

2 Containment Priest
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Viashino Heratic
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    For what it's worth, I'll be rocking a whole new iteration of Painter at EW.
    hope its the fabled reanipainter

What's everyone's thoughts on daretti, scrap savant? I'm going to a legacy tournament tomorrow and I'm thinking of maindecking 3. He has great synergy with the deck, and I have played Chandra, torch of defiance, but I don't think she is always what we want (conflicting with graveyard shenanigans) I will post my list later tonight

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughnopoly View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on daretti, scrap savant? I'm going to a legacy tournament tomorrow and I'm thinking of maindecking 3. He has great synergy with the deck, and I have played Chandra, torch of defiance, but I don't think she is always what we want (conflicting with graveyard shenanigans) I will post my list later tonight
    Chandra is nice because she's a straight up alternate win condition. Daretti unfortunately isn't. He's incredibly powerful with the main gameplan though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information