Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Feb 2008
    NYC

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

@Hollywood- HAHA. I mean the card is sick, and lops are fun. What is your current list. As I go back to the drawing board so to speak, I know I will be missing some things while I test over the next month. Love to see what you have been tinkering with. To be fair I don't think I have picked up my painter cards since you saw me at Eternal Weekend. But this new Karn has really got me thinking that things could be fun again.

REB/Pyro- Splitting is less important than utility. To be current it should be 4 Pyroblast first then add in REB. I like beta and alpha REB more so I make the suboptimal play and use them preferentially. But there are enough corner cases that the ability for pyro to target a non blue spell or permanent is relevant that it is the "correct" play to run four.

My advice for getting better with the list is take a stock list and play it for a month. I would recommend making no changes to the maindeck during that time. I caution against changes the sideboard also, but I do understand local metas are very weird and you may just need a few cards to address expected decks in smaller events and metas. Understand that you will likely lose a lot and that the most important outcome of any match is not if you won or lost, but evaluating the sequencing and why specific plays allowed you to win or lose. Due to magic being played by likely two bad players, sometimes your opponents punts are just worse than yours and they mask the true details of a match up. Ultimately the hardest part is the mulligan decision. And that only comes through practice and reps. It is only when you can sequence multiple lines of play with your opener for the first 3-4 turns will you feel comfortable with it. and that just takes time and practice and we still fuck it up.

My hope is to have a new deck list up in the next two weeks. I will start to test the new Karn lists this weekend. I need to do another review of the DTB with a deep dive or available wish targets first and that may take some time as I have to figure out what is available, if and how it can help us, then give it a try. also complicating things is the new mulligan rule which could be a true gamechanger.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

My current list changes everyday. One minute I'll try one thing, the next I'll try another. I can never settle on a 75 in any format lol.

Nov 2012
    Bologna, Italy

Well, i know nothing about this deck (I used to be a 12-post player before SDT got banned) but i like playing versatile and unconventional decks, so this seems a deck i may really enjoy. Would it be possible to have a solid list to test a bit just to see how it goes for me? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Davek View Post
    Well, i know nothing about this deck (I used to be a 12-post player before SDT got banned) but i like playing versatile and unconventional decks, so this seems a deck i may really enjoy. Would it be possible to have a solid list to test a bit just to see how it goes for me? Thank you!
    I would probably go with mr keller's list he took to the SCG tournament a month or so back. It's a good list that does what strawberry shortcake is designed to do, basically. I think you'll learn a lot about how and which tutors to fire off, for which targets, and how to protect your pieces, and so on. One piece of advice though, the deck can be very unforgiving, so if you don't succeed, judge the deck not by how it performs, per se, but more on its potential (or at least feel).

I've recently been put back onto a mono-red list that has more prison elements.. called 'daretti spaghetti' just to let me blow off some steam. It's been interesting to play, but the best part is just blowing up all the lands and locking my opponents out of the game.

Feb 2008
    NYC

I would actually argue that Hollywood's list is the wrong place for a newer player to start. I will not argue with his success with the deck, but Hollywood has been playing Painter for over a decade. The various singletons and new tech he used worked well for him, but he also probably is in the top ten players in the world with Painter in regards to reps with the deck and understanding its interactions. For newer players I think simplicity and redundancy throughout the deck is the best way to learn it. The various singletons his version plays would be a nightmare for an inexperienced player on the deck. I say all this in a world where it is possibly that Hollywood's shift may be the eventual correct way to go, or the new Karn provides a completely different approach for us.

My two cents. But I would suggest something more straight forward when learning the deck. But no matter which you choose, it is likely that you will lose a lot, and that is ok. Without cantrips, the opening keep is unforgiving and it takes a while to understand how to play to your outs in the deck.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

To be fair, that list I played was also speculative. I think there were a lot of mistakes even I made in building the deck because I tried integrating Light up the Stage into it. I don't know if the Shortcake version is the right path for it, but I know if I were playing Mono Red it would be an auto-include.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    To be fair, that list I played was also speculative. I think there were a lot of mistakes even I made in building the deck because I tried integrating Light up the Stage into it. I don't know if the Shortcake version is the right path for it, but I know if I were playing Mono Red it would be an auto-include.
    Maybe its because I'm still new to Shortcake, but I'm loving LUtS. Its not much of a nonbo with Canonist if you use it to make land drops and threaten your opponent with Blasts. Plus, if you don't need the tempo, you can just slam spells off of LUtS for the obvious reason of not wasting them; you advance your board state without providing much information about your hand contents (as a direct result, LUtS hits that you chose NOT to cast often provide more information to your opponent than you might like, so LUtS is inherently very proactive).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Feb 2008
    NYC

My statement wasn't meant to address Light up the Stage at all. Sorry for the confusion. The card has merits, just that a highly tuned or adjusted list with multiple singletons is a poor way to learn the deck due to the complexity of it.

Come May I imagine I will be slinging something like this:

4 Imperial Recruiters
    4 Painter’s Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Lavaman
    1 Walking Ballista
    2 SSG
    3 Karn
    4 Grindstone
    5 Blast effects
    4 Smuggler’s Copter
    3 E tutor
    4 Lotus Petal
    8 sol lands
    2 Plateau
    5 fetch lands
    3 Mountains
    1 Great Furnace

side:
    1 EE
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Cannonist
    1 Pyrite spellbomb
    1 tormods crypt
    2 helm
    4 leyline
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 phyrexian metamorph
    1 wurmcoil engine

Some notes:
    1. Yes I know it is 1 card too many. Still working on that.
    2. With Karn sol lands seem better. That also makes land drops off of Light up the Stage worse. Something to think about. In general we may need to rework some of the mana to better accommodate 4 drops as shortcake has always been about the 3 drops.
    3. sideboard is rough, but with plenty of utility to really leverage Karn. I can not see this not drastically changing, but I think its a reasonable starting point as it provides answers and reach to many of the top decks.
    4. The Gravehate we run may change a lot. Depending on what happens with the mulligan rule, these cards could drastically change. Currently I expect the rule to go forward, and as such Leylines are just superior at that point.
    5. Also moon effects are missing. They do belong. Its more about testing. Eventually they will work themselves back into the deck.

Seth

I wonder how good Karn would be in LED builds looking to abuse his second activated ability to procure and cast larger artifacts.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Hollywood- I was talking with Jack about the place of LED in the deck. It is really interesting, especially with Welder. That may be another deck entirely at that point. Would you be thinking of using it as a 4 of?

Seth

I'd probably use it in some kind of Mono Red build. I don't know if it has a place in the Shortcake version, but LED in more Welder-centric variations might be good. It's hard to say...I've honestly never used LED in Painter - not even the UR builds because I just never bought into it - even when Top was around.

Feb 2008
    NYC

@ Hollywood- Yeah I was never a fan even though I understand the corner cases where it was helpful. The ability to pair it with Karn and effectively have seven plus mana on turn 3 does open up some options, although I am not sure how to best abuse that. But with Welder I can see a bunch of cool lines that may be possible, but that might be a complete rebuild at this point...

Seth

I’ve been tinkering with a version that has both welder and led.
    It definitely leads to potentially quicker combo kill.
    I am planning on trying faithless looting at some point.
    Also petal over the opal give a turn 1 kill.
    Any thoughts or ideas?

4 tombs
    3 cities
    4 mesa
    1 wooded foothills
    2 plateau
    2 mountain
    2 great furnace
    1 plains

4 grindstone
    4 led
    2 mox opal
    2 pyrite spell bomb
    4 conjurer’s bauble

4 painters
    4 goblin welder
    4 auriok salvagers
    4 imperial recruiter
    2 walking ballista

4 pyroblast
    3 enlightened tutor

That looks fun actually.. I like the bomber man combo.. especially since it looks like something that’d act as a diversion against the other combo!

How did that deck go? Work as intended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy decks: mono U painter, strawberry shortcake, imperial painter, solidarity, burn
    EDH decks: zedruu voltron, rakdos the defiler, persistent petitioners, blind seer

Played 5 rounds in paper last night.

Round 1- beat Miracles 2-0
    -game 1 traditional grindstone kill, ended up playing painters 2 turns in a row then recruited for a third. They ran out of answers.
    -game 2 turn 1 welder turn 2 played a grind stone and led (pyroed a spell pierce). Then discarded a painter with led, grinded and welder out the stone for the painter to win.

Round 2 -beat mono red prison 2-1
    -game 1 traditional grindstone win
    -game 2 turn 1 chalice on when while I was holding 5 one drops.
    -game 3 bomberman win

Round 3- beat d&t 2-0
    - both were long grindy games where top decked LEDs got through their ports and wastelands.

Round 4- lost to UB death shadow 0-2
    - mull to 5 game 1 and 6 game 2. Discard, removal and a fast clock is rough.

Round 5- lost to RB reanimater 1-2
    -game 1 had a turn 2 kill in hand. They reanimated a sore of insanity turn 1 on the play.
    -game 2 I won due to having both surgical and containment priest.
    -game 3 I had surgical in my opener. He revealed a chancellor then reanimated turn 1.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

How did the 4x Bomberman and 4x Conjurer's Bauble feel? That seems kinda clunky.

Faithless Looting seems perfect for your shell. Have you considered it.?
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"

Faithless looting is on my list to try.
    Salvagers are have nice utility in the deck since they can also return grindstone crime the graveyard. Also a cc and toughness of 4 are both relevant.
    The baubles at worst replace themselves. At best the draw your deck with the combo looking for a finisher. They cane be welded back into play in order to draw more cards. Also there is the fringe surgical protection.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by punda View Post
    Faithless looting is on my list to try.
    Salvagers are have nice utility in the deck since they can also return grindstone crime the graveyard. Also a cc and toughness of 4 are both relevant.
    The baubles at worst replace themselves. At best the draw your deck with the combo looking for a finisher. They cane be welded back into play in order to draw more cards. Also there is the fringe surgical protection.
    Salvagers CMC of 4 was my primary point there. With a cost like that, you're begging for a huge tempo loss. And drawing multiples would be even worse. Seems like 3 would be a better number, given the Imperial Recruiters...
    <System> Player Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Salvagers CMC of 4 was my primary point there. With a cost like that, you're begging for a huge tempo loss. And drawing multiples would be even worse. Seems like 3 would be a better number, given the Imperial Recruiters...
    Sorry completely missed that point. That makes totally makes sense. I’m going to try 3 in my next build. It would open a flex spot for a crypt/ee/bridge or maybe just another pyrite spell bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by punda View Post
    Played 5 rounds in paper last night.

Round 1- beat Miracles 2-0
    -game 1 traditional grindstone kill, ended up playing painters 2 turns in a row then recruited for a third. They ran out of answers.
    -game 2 turn 1 welder turn 2 played a grind stone and led (pyroed a spell pierce). Then discarded a painter with led, grinded and welder out the stone for the painter to win.

Round 2 -beat mono red prison 2-1
    -game 1 traditional grindstone win
    -game 2 turn 1 chalice on when while I was holding 5 one drops.
    -game 3 bomberman win

Round 3- beat d&t 2-0
    - both were long grindy games where top decked LEDs got through their ports and wastelands.

Round 4- lost to UB death shadow 0-2
    - mull to 5 game 1 and 6 game 2. Discard, removal and a fast clock is rough.

Round 5- lost to RB reanimater 1-2
    -game 1 had a turn 2 kill in hand. They reanimated a sore of insanity turn 1 on the play.
    -game 2 I won due to having both surgical and containment priest.
    -game 3 I had surgical in my opener. He revealed a chancellor then reanimated turn 1.
    This is why, for me at least, Faerie Macabre has always been in most instances superior than Surgical Extraction in Painter. It's not like we're playing discard into Surgical or Wasteland a key color source into Surgical; Faerie Macabre is tutorable with Recruiter and is non-interactive. The only time it's better is when you activate Grindstone to hit Emrakul when it's flipped, but under those circumstances Crypt is usually just better because of the recursion ability with Welder and can be retrieved with Enlightened Tutor.

Consider Painter also runs Ancient Tomb, and an additional two life adds up, if just a touch.

Thread Information