Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Jan 2017
    TN

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    The classic splashing blue for cards that aren't brainstorm.
    I am not that brave. If I'm playing blue, Brainstorm and Ponder are mandatory attendees to the party.

Edit: but, still rocking Moons in the SB. If you're playing 2 colors in Legacy and one of them is red, You might as well chuck some moons in there.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    It's probably going to be similar to a stock Shortcake list, with a few modifications I haven't solidified yet. I'm also experimenting with a shade of blue for some added sideboard utility.
    http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/127390

Nice run man, with some interesting new cards. Can we get a report? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the deck and the meta right now
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Oct 2017
    Oita, Japan

Yeah man good job on the run! Ugh I wanna build painter so bad but I can't afford the city of traitors. I wonder if I could just run crystal vein temporarily and hate my life...

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/127390

Nice run man, with some interesting new cards. Can we get a report? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the deck and the meta right now
    Thanks guys - always a pleasure Painting it up. I'll try and get a report up, things are just really busy with work and the family. I was in a strong position to make Top 8, then I just hit a stroke of bad luck in successive rounds that was tough.

I'll update you guys ASAP.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

I'll update you guys ASAP.
    OMG I can't wait. Your list is full of so much spice; I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Light up the stage is for reals. I'm honestly surprised people haven't been talking more about this card (including myself). I'm really curious what you thought about that card in particular.
    I totally agree with the general sentiment... Nice spice!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drude1; 03-04-2019 at 07:44 PM.

So after 15 rounds of Magic with Imperial Painter at #SCGNY, I wound up in 52nd place - good for Top 64 (out of 656). I can't remember all of my match-ups and their results, but I'll provide some notes based on the list I played and changes I would recommend going forward.

For reference, here is the list I piloted:

//Main
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Spellskite
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Manic Vandal

1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Plateau
    1 Wooded Foothills

2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Smuggler's Copter

1 Blood Moon

2 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast

3 Light Up the Stage

//Sideboard
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Containment Priest
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Lava Dart
    3 Fiery Confluence

Here were the key takeaways from the event:

Light up the Stage is the Real Deal
    Over the course of the entire event, I found myself really always wanting to draw into this card. It's straight-up card advantage, and with so many small creatures that can easily connect for a point here and a point there - combined with reactive fetches and Forces - casting it for its Spectacle cost was rarely an issue. I think there were only two or three times throughout the entire event I hard-cast it empty handed, but when I did cast it no matter what, it was incredible. I do think three is probably right, but I can even see four going forward.

Magus of the Moon Returning to the Main
    One of the biggest things I anticipated for this event was hitting a load of Chalice decks like Eldrazi or Dark Depths combo decks like Turbo or Slow Depths. Blood Moon in Shortcake has been an option that has dwindled in value in recent months, but I think this needs to be reconsidered. I was always hoping to slam an early Blood Moon in a majority of my match-ups, and Magus actually was instrumental just like its Enchantment counterpart in winning a few rounds against Eldrazi and U/W Delver-Blade. Magus was also added to bolster combat damage to support Stage, and I think his stock has risen slightly because of this.

Lava Dart...!?
    Most of the other sideboard cards are fairly straight-forward. This was a card I was looking hard at for a long time, and read some very interesting feedback on folks deep in other forums, articles and other resources to get their opinions on it. As it turns out after testing it, I was very surprised how good it wound up being. Most fast aggro decks looking to get ahead early had a hard time dealing with the card, because it just iced their hot start. I was able to off multiple T1 Delvers, and made it so that they became even worse in the mid to late game because of its flashback ability. But the real power of the card shone with Light up the Stage. I was able to throw a Mountain into the graveyard later in the game to cash in on the Spectacle cost and win a few games because of that. One great moment was an opponent on Depths casting Crop Rotation with two Hexmage out. I cast Dart in response killing one, and then flashed it back killing the other - a real blowout. It also really helped not needing to waste a Blast on a Delver early and save it for stack interaction or paired with Painter, in addition to being incidentally good when you're grinding yourself with Welder in play looking for another combo piece or that last bit of damage. It's also beyond incredible against Infect, where you just keep getting key value off of its flashback ability. Will I play it going forward? I'm not entirely sure, but so far I'm very impressed by it. It kind of/sort of filled a similar role that cards like Firebolt did in Painter sideboards - except I think this is just better right now.

Dealing with Turbo Depths
    This is a very important issue with Painter going forward. I understand Shortcake cuts back on the Moon effects and emphasizes the use of Enlightened Tutor, but this is something to reevaluate. I'm aware of the rule change with Moon and Depths, but the truth is it screws with their mana base early enough where you can hold them off to find other utility or the win. Enlightened Tutor for all its power is a liability post-board where Surgical Extraction is a real threat. I just think to beat Depths and stomp it out, I can see options in the main and sideboard including cards like Pithing Needle, singleton Ghost Quarter (which finds you Plains if you run it before casting a Moon effect), singleton Karakas, Surgical Extraction and at least three Welders to protect Ensnaring Bridge in the wake of Decay/Trophy effects.

Speaking of protection...

Hanna's Custody
    This is a card I've looked really hard in recent weeks, and was so close to running it at SCGNY. Boy, I wish I had. This card - while innocuous - is arguably one of the best cards I can see Painter using in the future. Once this card lands against control decks, it becomes incredibly difficult for them to interact with you, and shuts off so many draws they rely on to stop Painter from winning unimpeded. I know for a fact had I had this card deeper into Day 2 - I would have easily rode to the Top 8. It's a must-counter, otherwise you just do whatever you want. I do think that Custody - in conjunction with fast, early hate like Needle and Moon effects - shut the door on Depths for a long time, in addition shutting down interaction from other decks that would try to shut down the combo during the game. Goblin Welder (and to a lesser extent Spellskite) fills the role of this at times, but casting one card that immediately and always blanks answers to your cards and offers optimal protection is something to seriously consider - especially against control decks packing loads of removal. I just wish I had this in those match-ups where the wins were on the table.

Zuran Orb
    Zuran Orb never really saw play much throughout the event, and will almost certainly be replaced with something that offers better protection and is more difficult to deal with. I've entertained cards like Circle of Protection: Red to help with the Burn match-up, notably because it's an enchantment that can't be Smashed (to Smithereens). Burn players can surely play around the card, and there might be better options for that match-up. Blessed Alliance may be something to look at, as it also helps in the Depths MU.

Crew up the Copter
    I wasn't a big fan of Smuggler's Copter at all during the event. It felt like it was cool to crew it up and use it when I could and grab some filter, but there were times where it just sat there and did nothing - which was awful. The card filter can probably be mitigated by the superiority of Light of the Stage - but I'm not sure. They can certainly coexist in the deck, the issue is that I really didn't like just having it play sitting there which happened a few times during the event.

Fiery Confluence
    This card was good throughout the event and played a nice sideboard control element when it popped up. It made the deck feel a little more like Mono Red Stompy, which uses this to full effect. The ability to cancel out troublesome artifacts like Needle and Chalice, while offering pretty good board wipe utility was really comforting. There were a couple of times it was a blowout, but I just don't know if its better than other instant-speed answers. I chose Vandal in the main over Heretic because you don't have to wait a turn to activate it, and it at least reactivates cards in your hand. I'm still trying to figure out if Vandal is optimal main and if these are optimal in the board. They also enable Stage's Spectacle cost, at a minimum.

Revoker vs. Needle
    After fifteen rounds of Magic and playing against Storm and Depths multiple times, I think the Canonists main (and perhaps one in the board) with two Needles are probably better than the Revokers. The problem with Revoker is that it doesn't hit Stage like Needle would and is a bit more fragile. I think its ability to hit LED is nice, but I mean, if we're running multiple Canonists between the main and side, is that really necessary? Needle would have been so good - I wish I had it in the deck this past weekend.

Grim Lavamancer
    This was great in the main, and I will probably run another out of the board for utility. Being able to connect early is great with Stage and puts Delver and fast aggro on the backpedal in a hurry, which I like. It also hunts down Safekeeper in the Depths MU and ices Bobs along with it. This card, along with Lava Dart and Goblin Welder, make it so that the perfunctory Grindstone activation for value can be used on yourself to enable these shenanigans, but one must also be leery of Surgical Extraction. Regardless, he was - as usual - great in most scenarios.

I think I need to sleep on a new deck list until I saturate the changes after the long drive home. No matter what, I had a great time playing and the deck felt pretty good overall.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Thank you for this write up! Lots to think about. You've inspired me to get back on the painter horse. Questions about the list:

Are the 2x macabre's & crypt enough graveyard hate? Do you think it makes sense to swap the Spellskite for Hanna's Custody?
    Last edited by Fallen_Empire; 03-05-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    Thank you for this write up! Lots to think about. You've inspired me to get back on the painter horse. Questions about the list:

Are the 2x macabre's & crypt enough graveyard hate? Do you think it makes sense to swap the Spellskite for Hanna's Custody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post

My assumption is that you'd need to do some tricksy-footwork:
    shuffle trigger on the stack, weld in another grindstone, grind to the next emrakul, then macabre the two, let the shuffle trigger resolve.
    then go off again.. possibly (this is the solidarity player in me coming out, i think).
    or maybe recruiter into containment priest against sneak and snow, show and tell.

I wouldn't swap out spellskite for hanna's custody. the target magnet seems good, and is recruitable. And speaking of which, hannas custody gives all artefacts shroud (basically). shuts off our welders too. Might be worth running a one-of daretti scrap savant as a non-targeting welder. Or it might be worth looking at leonin abunas. it costs 3w (one more), and doesn't shut off welders. it's also 2/4, so its recruitable and bolt-proof.

Administrator

Sep 2009
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post
    shuffle trigger on the stack, weld in another grindstone, grind to the next emrakul, then macabre the two, let the shuffle trigger resolve.
    then go off again.. possibly (this is the solidarity player in me coming out, i think).
    or maybe recruiter into containment priest against sneak and snow, show and tell.

I wouldn't swap out spellskite for hanna's custody. the target magnet seems good, and is recruitable. And speaking of which, hannas custody gives all artefacts shroud (basically). shuts off our welders too. Might be worth running a one-of daretti scrap savant as a non-targeting welder. Or it might be worth looking at leonin abunas. it costs 3w (one more), and doesn't shut off welders. it's also 2/4, so its recruitable and bolt-proof.
    Leonin Abunas is 2/5 even, and it interacts much more favourably with Goblin Welder than Hanna's Custody. It's rather hard to tell which one to try, but I do feel intrigued by both options!

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

@Michael Keller:

Can you comment on choosing Manic Vandal over Goblin Cratermaker? Because I count got many items in favor of Cratermaker and only 1 in favor of Vandal.

Did you miss Engineered Explosives?
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    @Michael Keller: Can you comment on choosing Manic Vandal over Goblin Cratermaker? Because I count got many items in favor of Cratermaker and only 1 in favor of Vandal.
    I don't like Cratermaker because it has anti-synergy with Painter in play. Chalice becomes a colored permanent, and cannot be targeted.

Did you miss Engineered Explosives?
    Not a whole lot. I actually think Ratchet Bomb is probably better because you can get it above two counters (because you're only playing three colors - if you don't count Lotus Petal which is a stretch), and the initial investment to hit a Chalice is the same: two mana. It may also be better in theory because a Chalice on zero (for whatever reason) could potentially lock you out from hitting it with an EE.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinefettmann View Post

Hannah's Custody is tutorable, too; you're playing Enlightened Tutor. Shutting off Welder is the least of your worries at the expense of never having to worry about cards like Terminus taking over the game, and once a Painter resolves all your worries go away. With no additional investment (i.e. loss of life from Spellskite, activating Welder after waiting a turn, etc.), it just shuts off cards that give Painter trouble. It's absolutely not win-more; there are good and bad match-ups for the deck and the purpose of the card is to shore up those MUs without needing to worry about crap like Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt, Kolaghan's Command, Abrupt Decay and Assassin's Trophy.

Keep in mind you'd still play Welder if you have Custody in play - it forces an opponent to deal with one first and then the other, and the damage is relevant to enable Light up the Stage. There's also a very good chance you won't have Welder and Custody in play at the same time, because Welder does - in most instances - die to removal before it goes active or takes over a game. Custody is much, much harder to deal with.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

@ Michael Keller:

What's the plan against Miracles and Grixis Control? LutS, Blood Moon, Revoker/Pithing Needle all help to varying degrees but none are slam dunks (well, a Blood Moon effect against Grixis will steal a single game but rarely a second game). Without having Planeswalkers in your 75 to provide card advantage (and an alternate wincon), how do you beat control decks?
    <System> Player Lost

@ Michael Keller:

What's the plan against Miracles...
    Miracles is what it is and what it always has been, but this is where I think playing Hanna's Custody is good. Terminus and Swords-Snap-Swords is annoying. Painter plays a myriad of Blasts, sure, the idea is to shut down that removal and force the opponent to use Terminus as the only answer to a resolved Painter - or - destroy Custody and then worry about Painter and friends. Miracles has always been kind of a stagnant match-up, because you can play the control role in a bunch of different ways - right down to naturally Grinding an opponent out for the win.

and Grixis Control? LutS, Blood Moon, Revoker/Pithing Needle all help to varying degrees but none are slam dunks (well, a Blood Moon effect against Grixis will steal a single game but rarely a second game). Without having Planeswalkers in your 75 to provide card advantage (and an alternate wincon), how do you beat control decks?
    I think the match-up is intrinsically difficult no matter what (G.C.). But if you run a card that - for lack of a better term - stops their shit from breaking yours, then you'll be fine. All of these decks rely on Snapcaster for repeated value. If you shut down their main avenue of attack by nullifying hate with Welder or Custody, I think you'll be fine.

I played against Grixis Control in Round 12 of the Open. My opponent and I got into a top-deck war, and he wound up getting there. I just know that, at some point had I resolved something he couldn't deal with like H.C., he would have almost certainly lost. Grixis Control only really has a handful of counterspells - balanced with removal and discard. If you nullify the removal, it makes it so that it becomes extremely difficult for the G.C. player to interact with you.

That being said, here is something similar that I would test going forward:

//Main
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Manic Vandal

4 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Plateau
    1 Plains
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Great Furnace

4 Grindstone
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Ensnaring Bridge

1 Blood Moon
    1 Hanna's Custody

4 Pyroblast
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Red Elemental Blast

3 Light Up the Stage

//Sideboard
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Lava Dart
    2 Fiery Confluence
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Hanna's Custody

Feb 2008
    NYC

Hollywood- Congrats. I know I hardly play anymore, but doesn't Terminus still nuke the board with Custody out, as it doesn't target?

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Hey Seth,

Thanks...I was just using in the context of protection. When an opponent casts Terminus, the card that you would typically use to protect Painter with would be Welder - but that would go away, too. If Custody resolves and sticks, you don't have to worry about needing a second card in play to protect it.

I suppose it's kind of a bad analogy because Terminus isn't spot-removal - but mass-removal - but the intent of the comment was to iterate that Hanna's Custody doesn't leave play with Painter and when it sticks it basically blanks all spot removal in an opponent's deck and stays in play in the wake of Terminus.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

@ sroncor1:
    That's why we play 6x Blast in the main and more in the sideboard. Instead of wasting them all trying to handle StP, Custody allows us to reserve them for the big plays like Terminus.

@ Michael Keller:
    Whoa, no Smuggler's Copters at all!? I'm surprised to see you remove all copies of our only flyer when you're trying to turn on LutS.
    Without Copter's filtering, wouldn't a 4th LutS be worth testing ASAP?
    Regarding the Revoker in the maindeck: is this just standard utility (Jaces, Lilianas, Jittes, Vials, etc) or do you have specific cards in mind?
    <System> Player Lost

@ sroncor1:
    That's why we play 6x Blast in the main and more in the sideboard. Instead of wasting them all trying to handle StP, Custody allows us to reserve them for the big plays like Terminus.

@ Michael Keller:
    Whoa, no Smuggler's Copters at all!? I'm surprised to see you remove all copies of our only flyer when you're trying to turn on LutS.
    Without Copter's filtering, wouldn't a 4th LutS be worth testing ASAP?
    I'm still trying to figure it out. Copter just didn't impress me at all, regardless of its flying ability. Like I said - most of the time it sat there idle and did nothing. Sometimes it was good and useful, but it just seems underwhelming from my experiences.

May 2014
    Paris, France

It may also be better in theory because a Chalice on zero (for whatever reason) could potentially lock you out from hitting it with an EE.
    You can still play EE @ 0 with CoTv @ 0 on the board by paying 2 colorless (for example) with Ancient tomb when casting EE

Thread Information