Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

[QUOTE=drude1;1059212]So I finally finished that first league. Ended up going 4-1. Here's a playback for all to peruse. I sped through the playback a little...sorry. Also, I have dogs, one of which is snoring in the background through much of the video...again, sorry.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/329449851##

Let me know what you think

Nice league. Seems like Daretti was really solid. Hope to see more of his iteration.

I put this together and played it in a local weekly this past Sunday - it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be (I had high hopes). The deck kind of reminded me of RIP/Helm -- draw these two specific cards and just win. Was more fun digging with Copter and/or fighting though interaction. Goblin Welder was by far the most fun card, though. And I was impressed by Goblin Cratermaker after four rounds of it always doing things.

Anyway, I copied the Kap'n Cook list from post #270 but wasn't comfortable not running a Plains, so only 2x Plateau. I then switched the fetches to 4x Arid Mesa, 1x Scalding Tarn. Something I've liked doing with Bomberman in the past is NOT diversifying the fetches -- in a deck with this many activated abilities, I think we'd welcome a needle effect being wasted on a fetch.

The SB flex spot was the 4th Canonist.

I finished 4-0 beating Infect, Infect again, Naya Lumberjack, and Goblins -- our store is weird; very few tier decks get played.

Still a pretty good result!

I still do feel that something is missing without Top. Some games you just breeze through. Others, it becomes a grind :-p where its just a pain. We need more cards to help filter our hands. Maybe some Koth or Chandra or something. But I feel the latest KapnCook list is looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by f7eleven View Post
    I put this together and played it in a local weekly this past Sunday - it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be (I had high hopes). The deck kind of reminded me of RIP/Helm -- draw these two specific cards and just win. Was more fun digging with Copter and/or fighting though interaction. Goblin Welder was by far the most fun card, though. And I was impressed by Goblin Cratermaker after four rounds of it always doing things.

Anyway, I copied the Kap'n Cook list from post #270 but wasn't comfortable not running a Plains, so only 2x Plateau. I then switched the fetches to 4x Arid Mesa, 1x Scalding Tarn. Something I've liked doing with Bomberman in the past is NOT diversifying the fetches -- in a deck with this many activated abilities, I think we'd welcome a needle effect being wasted on a fetch.

The SB flex spot was the 4th Canonist.

I finished 4-0 beating Infect, Infect again, Naya Lumberjack, and Goblins -- our store is weird; very few tier decks get played.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

What are the SB Pyroclasms for? Everything else seems fairly straightforward except for those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    What are the SB Pyroclasms for? Everything else seems fairly straightforward except for those.
    Mainly for D&T, elves, and infect. Was even pretty decent against enchantress since it didn’t target and could kill off their enablers. Those are the matches I would board all of them in for and maybe board in one for the storm match up in case they go goblins. I have since switched the pyroclasms for sulfur elementals as others have talked about doing and have liked it. It’s still good vs D&T and that is probably the most popular of those aforementioned decks and also clears the board of mentor tokens. You also have painter on white in a pinch to get rid of 1/1’s and hopefully boost your team.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Sulfur Elemental to kill off Mentor tokens is pretty sexy. Too bad you can't get it with Imperial Recruiter.
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"

Jan 2017
    TN

Sulfur Elemental to kill off Mentor tokens is pretty sexy. Too bad you can't get it with Imperial Recruiter.
    I've been playing 2 Clasm, 1 Sulfur Elemental as of late. Clasm is still good and has a wider range of applications, but Sulfur Elemental is still great and can be an absolute blowout vs DnT. Thus, I've decided I wanted both.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Or you can splash black and tutor for a dread of night!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Or you can splash black and tutor for a dread of night!!!

I've never actually been a fan of Dread of Night.

If I'm splashing black, I'm playing Massacre.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    I've never actually been a fan of Dread of Night.

If I'm splashing black, I'm playing Massacre.
    You can't tutor for massacre. Dread of night is continuous so it's so much better against things like elves. However, you could play both. I also play a toxic deluge.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Dread of night is continuous so it's so much better against things like elves.
    Dread of Night doesn't hit Elves. Did you mean Engineered Plague? Or Night of Soul's Betrayal?
    <System> Player Lost

Jan 2017
    TN

Dread of Night doesn't hit Elves. Did you mean Engineered Plague? Or Night of Soul's Betrayal?
    It does if you name white with Painter.

Hey, what are you guys bringing in against miracles? It's big where I play and I'd like to shore up the match

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Hey, what are you guys bringing in against miracles? It's big where I play and I'd like to shore up the match
    Bring in additional threats, hedgemage (if you're playing him), extra blasts, bolts/spot removal (if you're playing it) and i've been a little on the fence about this before but I think that I would bring in surgical in that matchup now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Sideboard (15):
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Magus of the Moon
    2 Pyroclasm
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt

In:
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    4 Surgical Extraction

Out:
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Enlightened Tutor

That's generally how I board against Miracles. It may be wrong to board out the EE, but I always want to be the beatdown in that match-up.
    Copter is easily the best card in the match-up, in my opinion.

Aug 2010
    Belgium

Miracles -> additional blasts, planewalkers, creatures (doesn't matter what precisely, if it can beat it's okay), artifact/enchantments-removal and... pray.

I'm currently brewing with a RWB-build with Daretti Ingenious Iconoclast and... Dark Confidant. Dark Confidant seems like a house. The drawing-power to combine Dark Confidant with Copter seems strong. Also Bob plays very well with copter because he has a little body himself. Has anyone tried Dark Confidant in painter?

Surely I need to rethink the manabase. Due to the fact that we don't rely (less and less) on explosive moon-effects to win I feel it would make (more and more) sense.

Best regards,

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

I have developed a new appreciation for Karn. It is such a good card, particularly against miracles and grixis control. He is pure card advantage and can make some huge beaters. If he had any sort of ultimate it would be totally over the top. Moved up to two in my board. People just straight up scoop to that card online

Last edited by drude1; 11-30-2018 at 01:49 AM.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

How well does this deck handle budget restrictions? I own one Plateau and zero City of Traitors, but everything else is manageable. I have a feeling the missing Plateaus will be okay, but the City of Traitors seem pretty critical to many lines of play.

Is it worth playing the deck without City or should I stick to other decks until I can skip enough meals to buy Cities of the Traitorous variety?
    <System> Player Lost

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

How well does this deck handle budget restrictions? I own one Plateau and zero City of Traitors, but everything else is manageable. I have a feeling the missing Plateaus will be okay, but the City of Traitors seem pretty critical to many lines of play.

Is it worth playing the deck without City or should I stick to other decks until I can skip enough meals to buy Cities of the Traitorous variety?
    The deck will work, it just won't be as fast. The 4th city has never felt too necessary as you only really want one and double city hands are usually mulls unless they have the combo or fast mana. Additional white sources come up a decent amount too as a lot of times you just have to fetch white into Wasteland to tutor. The third was only added recently, so two plateau should be okay. You can't run hedge-mage without two or three though. If you aren't going to run cities, maybe you can get away with a plains, although everyone here knows my feelings about a plains as one of the 19 mainboard lands lol

Over the last two months since Baltimore I've only been able to play about 30-ish matches (2 challenges, 3 leagues, 1 monthly maybe?). The results have been bad, losing probably half of the games. Granted, it is a small sample size, but the losses have been a combination of testing different boards with weird cards, playing really poorly, and even a feeling of unluckiness in close game 3s. I've punted a lot, and in general am still learning a lot about Copter and how strange it makes the lines. Either way, I'll just post what I am planning to test more in depth moving forward and thoughts.

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Plateau
    3 Mountain
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bloodstained Mire

4 Lotus Petal
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Goblin Cratermaker

4 Grindstone
    4 Smuggler's Copter

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Blood Moon

3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast

Sideboard:

4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

Surgical has been very good, as the graveyard decks are just too fast now. I wish I could just jam 4 Rest in Peace and a Helm as that would make the Grixis matchup a bye, but Reanimator being Black-Red instead of Black-Blue means there isn't enough time and blasts can't delay careful studies. Surgical keeps us alive just often enough against Reanimator and Dredge to find the Crypt or Priest. More importantly, Surgical gives us more viable alternatives to fighting Show and Tell and Miracles, which is another reason I wanted to max out the blasts. I have also experimented with starting to bring some in against grixis, as you will probably get two for one'd by the first k-command, but removing that with Surgical lets you fight the Snapcasters more readily through normal blasts and canonists, and lets you try to trade 1 for 1 long enough to win. Again, it's been a really small sample size, but it has felt a little bit better recently. As for boarding against these control decks, I have been chopping all petals/tutors, and usually don't even bother with trying to Blood Moon them anymore. Play/draw there could be an argument to switching slightly, but on the whole this has been the plan.

Sulfur Elemental. Initially I was running all the pyroclasms (and was going to consider whipflare eventually), but DnT has felt very winnable without them. The hope was that there would be more random creature decks popping up with the bannings, but since then it has settled into the usual Miracles/Chalice/Ape Combo meta we all expected. I'm really not sure what Wizards thought would happen when they banned Top. So as the pyroclasm numbers went lower after cratermaker got a spot, I tried two Swords to Plowshares, for cross-hate against Reanimator/Shadow/Goyf/Angler, but then got ran over by Mentor tokens enough to want to switch back to Sulfur. It's also just a generally good anti-control card and can crew at instant speed, which isn't nothing. Obviously there can be the random blowouts against off-beat decks where you name white with Painter too. I do worry about the Elves/Infect matchups by dropping Swords/Clasms/Bolts/etc, but those matchups have always felt very coin-flippy regardless of what build you run, and the hope is that 4 Canonist can slow them down enough to do your thing. At the end of the day, Mentor and DnT are more likely to show up, where Sulfur is much better, than these other small creature decks, so I am okay with taking the hit there.

Hedge-Mage, Moon and Karn. These are the two flex spots I guess. The second moon is mainly for lands/loam/post and random monstrosities, since there are usually ways to destroy the first one. Having the backup copy has been just good enough, and if you ever want to play roulette against some of these three color decks you can always just board the second in on the play with all the fast mana and all the tutors to try to land one on turn 1 or likely turn 2. Hedge mage is back mostly for counterbalance and chalice, as having the etb ability complements Cratermaker and EE nicely. It also gives you a varied mana curve against Chalice. Plus you might just blowout Omni or sneak one out of every 20 games. Revoker could be here too if sneak attack is too prevalent, but I don't think it does enough outside of that matchup, as ANT is very favorable now anyways. For Karn, I just keep coming back to him. Like Dan said, he is just raw card advantage and will take over the game if allowed to live. It really does feel like the best card available that leverages the other shitty 73 cards we have to play.

Anyways, this list is more defined in what it wants to fight, mainly snapcaster and combo. It definitely gives up percentages against the middle tier stuff like shadow and chalice, but the hope is that we have enough to navigate those matchups as it is. As always, thoughts appreciated.

-jack
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Maybe it's been discussed and tried already, but what about some number of Experimental Frenzy? It's great with ETutor and this deck has the mana to play it quickly if need be. I could see a 4 Welder version with Maybe a number of LED to make it even better. Also the deck has a decent amount of shuffle effects/copter to loot and try again for a new top card. It can't win on its own like a 4 mana walker, but it feels like it might warrant consideration
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information