4 pyroblast
    1 REB

2 Karn

3 city
    4 tomb
    2 plateau
    6 fetch
    3 mountain

+1 other creature (4th canonist, 3rd lavaman, 3rd welder?)

thoughts?

I do think Karn is maindeckable, he can crew thopter as well, and gives us that much more reach. ideally our midrange monster would be recruitable/tutorable, but I feel like he's good enough to be worth it without that
    I think that looks pretty good. Essentially I will just be putting a canonist and a red blast from the maindeck to the board although I think I might switch out the 4tj canonist for a revoker. I think the last creature in your list should be the simian spirit guide. I don’t think I would go lower than 5 fast mana. If it’s not good game 1 you can always take it out for games 2 and 3.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Just reading the last couple posts, I will say I've been playing a good amount of Karn in eldrazi ramp lately and the card is for real. Also, any Planeswalker is good against miracles so you have that as a bonus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Just reading the last couple posts, I will say I've been playing a good amount of Karn in eldrazi ramp lately and the card is for real. Also, any Planeswalker is good against miracles so you have that as a bonus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    So far I am really liking the new Karn also. All his abilities are great. I was skeptical about the -2 ability but between that and copter the opponent’s life total can get really low really quick. They can’t just be worried about disrupting the combo anymore because the clock is real between Karn’s construct tokens and the looter scooter.

oh dang, and his list is very similar to ours, on the canonist plan, 1 moon, 1 bridge, everything

i do feel like this deck can do stuff, glad to see it getting some traction!
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Played a double-up Legacy (3 rounds) side-event on the GP Birmingham with the list. Not so great.

R1 (can't remember what I played against) don't recall the details, but I manage to win rather fast in 2 games.
    R2 agains Elves. G1 Double canonist is enough. G2 he could establish Symbiote & Sage and wipes my board before I find a canonist. G3 I mull to 5 and never stand a chance.
    R3 against Grixis Delver. G1 (mull to 5) he counters all the relevant stuff and I die to TNN & SCM beats. G2 I manage a rather fast combo. G3 (mull to 5 again) is a repeat of G1.

No doubt I did some misplays, but it was fun. I need more practice and especially what is a keepable hand and what not. The deck is a nice change from turbo depths.

Hey all,

Decided to get breakfast this morning and play a league. Recorded it off my computer using xsplit and the game replay with commentary when I got home.

A few notes:

I definitely had some misplays, some distractions from being at the diner.

Game 2 of My Omni show match wasn’t able to be replayed on the client for whatever reason. I did take games 1 and 2 through beatdown. My opponent got really salty in the chat when he realized he was gonna lose game 2 and thanked me for wasting his time with a tier 6 deck lol. I told him that this matchup should be a cakewalk (pun intended) for him.

I won’t post about the matches since I commented on them as they played in the video, but I was playing four leyline of the void in the board and one helm. I really like the leylines better than rip as they do not turn off our welders or lavamans. They have even been great versus miracles to stop the snapcaster shenanigans.

Get back to me with any comments or feedback. I must say the deck is a real blast to play now with copter. I enjoy it equally as much as I did with top if not more.

www.twitch.tv/heyclutch

I played last night at FNM with the list Hoogland played on stream a few posts up

I won on match against against elves with a quick turn 2 painter, and the beatdown plan game 2. he was kinda mana screwed game 2 and was keeping abrupt decay mana up because of a grindstone and welder on the field.

I lost against mono red sneak attack in game 3 by drawing endless lands. I dont think I should be winning that matchup anyway

I lost against mono red stompy due to them having the most timely of fiery confluences against my Heretic. I could not win through his bridge game one when he had a chalice on 1 and 2. Game 3 I lost after he got a bridge down and 2 confluences absolutely destroyed me. He derped for a while, all while i was top decking lands.

Felt real bad.

How should I be boarding against non blue decks when it comes to cutting pyroblasts?

After seeing how difficult brides (and multiple bridges) really shut us down, Im thinking of adding a shattering spree or a Fiery confluence to the board. Maybe a Koth or Chandra for reach, any thoughts?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

@James I wouldn't worry too much about that stompy game, if they get chalice on 1 and 2 and kill the heretic as well just chalk up the loss and go next, nothing else you can do. Also, if they are keeping in bridge then that is a win for us, as the card is pretty dead in the majority of scenarios. For non-blue decks where you need space, dropping a REB is usually safe.

For anyone newer to the deck, the 4th Pyroblast is still better than the 1st REB even with potential Cabal Therapies/Surgicals as pyro can be cast without painter on the field to fuel lavaman or get under a bridge. I would still prefer Karn over Chandra/Koth I think (posted it somewhere earlier in the thread on why, not sure exactly where though) and if you want more artifact hate, additional Abrades probably provide the best meta impact. Between Heretic, EE, and 2 Abrade I think we should be in decent enough shape to handle red chalice decks, but can't fault anyone for wanting more if you really want to dedicate to beating it.

Played in the Legacy Challenge on Sunday, ending with a disappointing 2-3 result. I could have played out the last 1-2 rounds for an even record but chose to end the suffering and drop.

Lost vs ANT round 1, nothing spectacular. I had interaction in the form of Canonist and Crypt but he also had interaction in Decay and Chain of Vapor and he had some quick draws. Round 2 was against Mono-red sneak attack which basically seems like a nightmare matchup as they have Worldspine Wurm/Emrakul plus Chalice, not really too concerned about that deck as A) it's rare and B) it is really that horrible of a matchup, as although I didn't see one I assume they are also running Fiery Confluence.

The other loss was to Team America in round 5. Super frustrating game 3, I locked down the board with something like double Welder, Painter, Canonist, Bridge, and a Moon while at 20 life, literally just waiting for a Grindstone. A Deathrite ends up coming down to deal something like 16 to me and when I answer it I can't deal with the Golgari Charm and Abrupt Decay. 30 cards left and didn't see a stone.

Still, I know for sure that I wasn't making optimal plays throughout the event and could have thought through stuff more to maybe get wins like leverage my life total a bit more and better prioritize blast targets. It is still more of an in/out board experimenting phase, and a lot of the event I think can be chalked up to really bad variance in that team america match and also facing big red sneak.

I really do think the maindeck is solid right now, and provides the best combination of current meta hate and deck synergy between the copters, welder/lavaman, and combo. For the board, I chose to add in a 2nd crypt over the rest in peace. RIP has seemed actively bad against most of the meta right now, between being too slow against reanimator, too much splash damage for our welders/lavamans, and too ineffective against stuff like Miracles to really want to bring it in.

Seth and I have been talking a bit about a 4 surgical board and how it would look. For those talking about the 4 leyline board with the helm in there, if you want to go that way I think you will really have to add in a Rest in Peace just so you can have a tutorable/castable way to go for the helm kill at the expense of more board space.

Otherwise, if you are like me and just want to give up on the graveyard decks at the moment, I think going all the way down to a singleton crypt isn't the worst, as it still gives you 3 card combo potential and at least a tutorable line to speedbump graveyard decks. I don't really have any ideas as to what that last board spot should be, maybe just a 7th blast for miracles/entire blue meta or a simple removal spell like firebolt? I could also be convinced to maneuver the board back to 4 firebolts like we did 3-4 years ago, but it would take a lot of reworking the board. Everything else has felt solid and been getting a lot of use so I'm not entirely sure what we should be going with. I think in general the biggest problem is just how different the deck plays out vs how it did with Top, and adjusting accordingly, as I definitely find myself keeping hands now that should be mulled whereas they were easy keeps before.

Anyways, stay painting and free nedleeds
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Oct 2012
    Italy

Hello guys! I was an avid shortcake player when top was legal, and like many of you i basically stopped playing the deck after top ban. I'm happy to see that there is some discussion going on, but i have to say i'm quite surprised to see how the deck is developing.
    Basically i need to be convinced that playing less than 3-4 blood moons is correct, and that canonist is the real deal. As i see it, moon is just an autowin against so many decks that not using it in a nearly monored deck seems crazy. As for canonist, i understand it helps controlling the stack and protecting the combo, but really 4 main deck ? Can anyone explain me some typical scenarios that happen with canonist that make it worth running the full set?

Also, i know it came up before, but i think faithless looting should be explored more. Over time it became one of the cornerstone cards of modern archetypes (mardu pyromancer, hollow one, dredge,) and also showed its power in legacy. Basically it's like a bad brainstorm in that it helps fixing your draws discarding bad cards in a given matchup, so it should shine in a deck like this that runs many cards that are sometimes dead (moon, bridge, redundant grindstones, non active blasts) and also uses the graveyard with welder. It's possible tough that if you're going to run looting you want some more graveyard sinergies, like play black for cabal therapy, lingering souls, stuff like that. But as i see it, running 3/4 lootings in addition to the 3 tutors shortcake tipycally runs could improve the deck.

Feb 2008
    NYC

@Faithless Looting-The issue is that it is a really bad brainstorm. In those modern decks you mentioned they can leverage the discard better than we can. Even with Welder you don’t always have the resources to gain value like those other decks can. E tutor is a stronger card in the deck Bc the selection allows for a couple silver bullets while increasing c Nsistency at the cost of card advantage. Faithless does help increase consistency, but not as much, doesn’t really allow for silver bullets, and the current legacy meta makes flashing it back fairly difficult.

@blood moon- I know on the surface it seems wrong. Blood moon does wreck many decks but I think Legacy as a whole has really changed the last couple years. Players in general fetch smarter, back to basics is now a thing, and it isn’t the stone cold nuts against Lands due to rules changes and more efficient removal across the board. I agree on the play the card has great utility. But in the draw, especially with DRS everywhere, it just feels weak. Now that is for a deck that wants to hit six total mana and combo out. Dragon stompy would be a different beast as they run Chalice and Trinisphere to otherwise ruin people’s day. There is also the fact that Canonist is fantastic against Miracles, Elves, and Tendrils, all decks to beat at this time. Canonist also allows for more creatures to crew with along with increased artifacts for better leveraging of Welder. It is something you have to try, but I do think once you start playing the new version you will see that this is a stronger direction.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

This Post has been dead for a while, and I wanted to try and liven it back up!

This is a lot of fun for a non-blue deck (at least until painter is out). I have been playing it for a few weeks now, and have played against a large variety of decks; I.E. Elves, Turbo Depths, U/R Delver, Maverick, Death and Taxes, Storm, U/B Mill, Tezzerator, Metalworker MUD, Infect.... I don't have any results from these games to share, as I only play it in paper, and on Friday nights, but I would like tell you my take on the deck so far.

1. This deck is very entertaining. It uses toolbox components to get lock pieces, or combo pieces, and that is right up my alley.
    2. It has game against just about every deck in the format.
    3. I have won a lot of game 1's, but lose the majority of my matches post sideboard. However, I think my new list will help me overcome this.

Current Deck list, and Individual Card performances:

[B]Creatures:[/B] (17)
    2 - Goblin Welder (I had 3 Welders in for a while, but took one out for a main deck Karn. They are very good in getting back what you need from the GY, and perhaps making additional mana when needed)
    4 - Painter's Servant (Cornerstone of the deck, and Combo piece)
    1 - Spellskite (I recently added this when I saw how it performed in the Steel Stompy decks. It took the place of the 4th canonist and adds extra protection for your combo and hate pieces. Welder is it's best friend)
    4 - Imperial Recruiter (Finds your toolbox creatures)
    3 - Ethersworn Canonist - (Great inclusion vs combo decks; Storm, Belcher, Elves etc. I feel 3 is enough in the main since we can tutor for them if needed)
    1 - Grim Lavamancer (a little underwhelming IMO. I found myself not having enough cards in the bin to use him when I needed him to work,. Which is why I only run 1 Main)
    1 - Viashino Heretic (great toolbox creature against chalice decks, and other problem artifacts)
    1 - Simian Spirit Guide (basically a 5th Lotus Petal)

Planeswalkers: (1)
    1 - Karn, Scion of Urza (This dude is bad-ass when he is out, but can be awkward with too many multiples. Jury is still out on if this should be a 1 or 2 of in my main deck, but def. 2 in the 75)

Enchantments: (1)
    1 - Blood Moon - (Tutorable Enchantment - This is Legacy, and Blood Moon can be killer against lot of decks)

Spells: (8)
    3 - Enlightened Tutor (search for your tools and combo pieces when needed. Recommended to do so at the end of your Opponents turn, unless you have a way to draw the card you have tutored for (I.E. Looting with copter)
    4 - Pyroblast (Pyro is better than REB because it can also be cast on a non-blue spell. This is relevant if you need to drop your hand size for a card like Ensnaring Bridge)
    1 - Red Elemental Blast (the 5th Counterspell in your deck)

Artifacts: (14)
    1 - Ensnaring Bridge - (It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it)
    4 - Grindstone (Combo Piece)
    1 - Relic of Progenitus (Main deck Graveyard hate, and helps in the Sneak and show matchup to prevent Emrakul from reshuffling the graveyard back into the library)
    4 - Lotus Petal (mana fixing when needed, and acceleration)
    4 - Smuggler's Copter (A way to increase the clock, and cycle through your deck. A very nice inclusion)

Lands: (19)
    4 - Ancient Tomb
    3 - City of Traitors
    2 - Arid Mesa
    1 - Bloodstained Mire
    1 - Wooded Foothills
    1 - Great Furnace
    4 - Mountain
    2 - Plateau
    1 - Karakas (A recent addition to the deck. I don't know if it is right, and I know we should be staying with red man sources, but the ability to bounce Legends seems to good to pass up against some tougher matchups)

SB: (15)
    2 - Abrade - (bring in Against trouble-some creature and artifact decks like Death and Taxes, or Chalice Decks)
    3 - Blood Moon - (This is Legacy, and Blood Moon can be killer against lot of decks...Increase your odds of drawing one in your opening 7 against said decks)
    1 - Ensnaring Bridge (comes in against decks that mainly beat you by attacking with creatures)
    1 - Grim lavamancer (comes in against fair creature machups (Elves, Maverick, Delver, etc.)
    1 - Karn, Scion of Urza (bring in against your grindy decks)
    2 - Kozileks Return (I like this better than pyroclasm. It is an instant, and is colorless, so gets around protection from colors)
    2 - Tormod's Crypt (bring in against graveyard decks, or Sneak and show to stop the Emrakul trigger from reshuffling the GY when you combo)
    1 - Phyrexian Revoker (I agree with Jeff Hoogland. He said this deck should have a revoker in the 75, and I concur. It's too good to leave out, and it's an artifact)
    1 - Spellskite (More hate will be coming in post board. It's good to have a 2nd one of these, and welder is it's best friend)
    1 - Ethersworn Canonist (We are not a blue deck, and do not have access to FOW. Bring in the 4th against combo, or any deck that tends to cast multiple spells per turn)

Has anyone else found the mana base to be shakey? Semi-frequently finding myself put out of the game by a single Wasteland, not having consistent white mana to cast Canonist, or not getting the third mana to combo. It’s not every game, but enough that I have to wonder if anyone else finds the same thing.

And if so, I am going to throw this out: how much do we need fast mana now if we’re no longer trying to power out Blood Moon turn one as a primary gameplan? We have upped the number of white cards maindeck by 3-4 and reduced the curve by dropping Bridges and Moons for less costly cards, but it seems like the manabase is almost the same as it was pre-Top Ban when the only white cards main were the two-three E Tutors splashed. Also, part of the reason the deck could get away with the Sol Lands doing the heavy lifting in terms of mana quantity was because Blood Moon nullified Wasteland, but now a Tomb Petal Mountain hand is often one Waste away from potentially doing nothing all game. All this adds up to what feels like a greedy manabase despite only being 1.5 colours. Now I’m not suggesting removing the Sol Lands, but perhaps taking some of the pressure off them. Would it be worth dropping Simian and/or a couple of Petals for a more stable manabase?

I obviously haven’t put nearly the number of reps in as some of you guys though, so what are your thoughts?

Feb 2008
    NYC

I think the mana base will always be a tough thing to balance. But all stompy mana bases suffer from that. With the power of the sol lands, comes the risk that colored sources may be tough to find. I don't think less than 7 is reasonable in the deck. With respect to colored sources of mana, 5 fetches, 3 duals, 1 artifact land, 3 bascs has felt solid. There are some issues with white as the deck now runs 7 maindeck white spell at this time. But I think the dual lands, and fetches should be good enough. The key is that you still need red so much more than white, and as a result every source of colored mana has to give you red without question.

Turn one Blood Moon was a great play, but I def don't think it was always our best play, let alone our goal. While Blood Moon can be awesome, at Shortcakes heart we are a combo list. Moon shutting off our sol lands was a large downside, making it much harder to combo off. So I think looking back that first turn Blood Moon was our goal is remembering things slightly off. It was a great play, one that won many games, but really our goal is and will always be the fastest mill we can achieve with mild protection. That is why the second turn combo never was the goal of the deck. If anything a first turn Copter is the current goal of the deck in the current meta, as that or Goblin Welder are probably your two best first turn plays. Painter with fast mana and blast would be the best first turn play against storm variants.

At the fast mana, I think that is an interesting point. The argument about fast mana and first turn moon, was more about the fact that mox opal had no place in the deck as it could not power out a first turn moon. While the first turn moon def played into the numbers of fast mana, the old Shortcake lists also had Mountain, SDT, go plays which allowed for mountains to be played first turn and still give us plenty of options turn 2. We no longer have that line, while the first turn blind moon isn't as strong. What we do have though is Smuggler's Copter. And much like SDT, getting it out and online is critical for the deck to function. Ironically while 3 isn't as important turn one, this places a larger importance on 2 mana turn one. You could make the argument that we should increase the chances of this, and as such play another SSG, as getting Copter online is just that good. It is for that reason that I would really caution against cutting a fast source of mana from the deck.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Almost had my first 5-0 with Shortcake but couldn’t quite get there. Posted replays of the matches on my twitch channel. Kinda sucks that if I play a revoker I can’t replay the game beyond casting the revoker. Anyways check it out if you desire. I played against:

Turbo Depths
    Some sort of R/G Depths
    Storm
    Dredge
    Elves

Lost to the little green men in game 3.

A couple of misplays but I feel like this was one of my better showings with the deck. Didn’t play against any force of will decks though.

Get back to me with any thoughts, questions, and or comments.

www.twitch.tv/heyclutch
    http://www.twitch.tv/heyclutch

Went 3-0-1 tonight at my LGS

Pretty much played the same list except put a RIP in place of the 6th blast in the board.

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    3 mountain
    3 plateau
    5 fetch
    1 great furnace

4 painter’s servant
    4 imperial recruiter
    3 ethersworn canonist
    3 simian spirit guide
    2 goblin welder
    2 grim lavamancer
    1 viashino heretic

4 grindstone
    4 smugglers copter
    4 pyroblast
    3 enlightened tutor
    2 lotus petal
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 blood moon
    1 red elemental blast

Sideboard:

4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Blood Moon
    2 Abrade
    2 Kozileks Return
    1 Rest In Peace
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Ensnaring bridge
    1 phyrexian revoker

Round 1 vs Storm

Game 1: I land a Turn 2 canonist. He is playing burning wish so he doesn’t scoop. He wishes for some artifact the that makes him sacrifice two mountains in order to cast to destroy all artifacts. He is finally able to cast it but he is at 2 life and facing lethal from a goblin welder and viashino heretic. He isn’t able to combo off and I attack for the win.

In: 4 Leyline, 2 Kozileks return, 1 RIP, 1 Helm, 1 Revoker
    Out: 1 blood moon, 2 Karn, 2 lavamans, 1 welder, 1 imperial recruiter, 1 heretic, 1 bridge

Game:2 I keep a turn 0 Leyline with no color mana and two tombs. I am able to cast my copter and grindstone I eventually fetch a plateau and have a board of Leyline, rip, copter, painter, stone, and recruiter. I successfully combo off. He didn’t have much going on aside from cantrippinng and I think he had me discard a blast or two.

Round 1 vs Dragon Stompy

Game 1: I’m on the play and cast a turn one painter off of ancient tomb and a lotus petal. He plays ancient tomb and passes. I fetch a plateau and cast grindstone. He scoops.

I wasn’t sure if he was on red stompy or eldrazi so I boarded:

In: 2 abrade, 1 revoker
    Out: 3 canonist

Game 2: he plays a turn one trinisphere off of a chrome mox and I think mountain and guide. I play anancient tomb and pass. I get a heretic down the next turn and he has a second 3ball in play. I am able to blow one up before he confluences my heretic. My painter gets chaos warped for another ancient tomb. I have plateau, 2 tombs, and a city of traitors in play. I eventually land 2 copters, a painter, great furnace and a Karn. Karn takes over the game after I create 2 constructs that are 6+ power and toughness. I’m at 9 from tomb damage. He reveals a confluence off sin prodder and I’m at 5 but he is at 1. He scoops.

Round 3 vs BUG True-Name

Game 1: I end of turn tutor for a blood moon seeing all the nonbasics and it gets forced. I play a few dorks and a copter but he eventually has a board of jace, liliana, deathrite, and strix. How do I beat that? Somehow I managed to get have off the table with a lavamancer after he used it’s minus ability to bounce my welder. He minuses liliana with two counters in it to get rid of one of my creatures. We trade with the copter and strix. I enlightened tutored with the draw on the stack for a bridge. First misplay. Forgot that I am going to get to draw the bridge but then I have to discard it and I don’t have an artifact in play anymore to weld it. He lands a Truename and I get beat down. First loss of the night.

In: 3 blood moon, 2 abrade, 1 ensnaring bridge, 1 revoker
    Out: 1 grindstone, 2 Karn, 3 canonist, 1 heretic

Game 2: I keep an opener of 3 blood moon, 2 plateau, 1 abrade, 1 recruiter. A bit risky since he is playing wasteland and I have no fast mana to power out an early moon. I play the plateau and pass. He thoughtsiezes and takes a moon. (Please no surgical please no surgical) he didn’t have it...phew. I am able to cast a blood moon in turn 3 which gets forced. I cast another one next turn with a petal up for blast. It resolves. I start the beats with painter, recruiter and welder while he is hoping to draw a basic land. I put him down to 5 with dork beatdown and play a lavamancer and pass. He scoops.

Game3: he is fetching basic swamps and islands which made me not feel to bad about not having a moon in my opening seven. A very grindy match. I am able to dork beatdown him pretty low and eventually e tutor for the grindstone to win. It pretty much felt like a ran out of resources. I think he won game 1 Cuz he was able to put a lot of pressure on me. Not sure how he boarded but I felt like his needles and discard weren’t good enough. I think some opponents get scared of the combo that they maybe overboard.

Round 4: split. I would have played a regular opponent there who was on Big Eldrazi with the mana rocks. It can be a pain with painter turning everything a color and an all is dust or ugin is cast. Also he has some reshufflers so I was relieved to split. We decided to play a few rounds of old school 93, 94 instead.

I think this was the most comfortable I felt with the deck. Played against some popular decks and it was nice to see Shortcake be able to win. What are other people’s sideboards looking like these days? I’m pretty set on the above one and have been rotating out the rip for either a 6th blast, containment priest, surgical, or maybe even hedgemage. I remember reading about trying 4 surgicals in the sideboard (I think that Seth or Jack brought it up). Has anyone tried that?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

So I haven't actually gotten around to testing surgicals in the board, but the idea stemmed from thinking how slow and anti-synergistic Rest in Peace seems to be in the current meta. My thinking was that if it is already much worse than Tormod's Crypt, do we just chop it? I think a miser's crypt should be in everyone's board just because it's the cheapest tutorable hate that enables the 3 card combo, unless you are choosing to dedicate to RIP/Leyline + Helm.

Since I didn't really want to run Leylines, the next question became do we just punt the graveyard matchups and see if Canonists and the crypt can get there or do we go with something like Surgicals, which have more application against a wider set of decks than leylines do. I am currently seeing how the former plays out, since that allows you to squeeze in more chalice hate and still keep all the moons in the board. The surgical idea came up when I was trying to think of a sideboard that covered RB reanimator while still giving game vs other stuff.

I'm tempted to run something like this:

4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Goblin Welder
    1 Viashino Heretic
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Blood Moon
    3 Pyroclasm
    1 Walking Ballista

As I've said before, with our higher white count and the prevalence of Deathrite, moon has been actively bad a lot of times, to the point where even against good moon matchups I'm chopping down the numbers on the draw because it can be so dead/slow. Obviously our lands matchup takes a hit, but that's where surgicals would help out too. Additionally, with this configuration, we should slaughter storm, and make other random combo decks like Show and Tell a tad easier. I assume we would bring in some surgicals vs miracles just because nabbing Swords/Terminus/Force/Balance or even protecting our own stuff against opposing surgicals would be good.

Not sure when I'll get around to trying it out, but I'll report back whenever I do.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Hi everybody,
    I play from times to times my version of the deck.

Deck: Nahiri Painter

//Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    3 Mountain
    2 Plains
    3 Plateau

//Spells
    2 Abrade
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Grindstone
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Nahiri, the Harbinger
    3 Pyroblast
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass

//Creatures
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    2 Magus of the Moon
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth

//Sideboard
    1 Boil
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Pyroclasm
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear

Show more

I use Nahiri as card filter and win condition besides the combo. It's technically my Smuggler's copter.
    Nahiri works great for me. She exiles permanent rarely. Most of the times I can plus her and fetch emrakul because my opponents underestimate her and don't know about the emrakul. I'm not that agressive like other lists and work more like a prison deck with 6 Blood Moon main, ensnaring bridge, spirit of the labyrinth.

^
    Cool list!

What are your thoughts on Nahiri vs. Chandra ToD here? Chandra is better in terms of pure card advantage and maybe easier to cast overall? Doesn’t require Emmy to get the most off the ultimate and is more synergistic with Bridge (due to Emmy end plan). The minus ability of Nahiri is arguably more versatile though, and despite not providing card advantage it is more synergistic with Welder.

Either way, sweet take on the deck!

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

I played Chandra before and I can agree in some points. She creates card advantage, no doubt. most of the times I flip cards with her which I can't cast but probably need. mostly blasts or removal which I want to keep in my hand for a certain amount of time rather exiling it for 2 damage. Óften times I can't control the board state as I want at the time I want because Chandra forces me to cast or lose the card.

I like the cycling ability of Nahiri for the reason I can sculp my hand and have solutions for later problems. This can be antisynagistic with bridge and Emrakul has the same kind of problem with the bridge.
    But I can dodge the problem of bridge by searching for a combo piece and I have often times the other one drawn the turns before due to her.
    And as I mentioned Nahiri has her own unique rogue factor. My opponents rarely know how to hate her (besides a few people but those are sitting next to me in every top 8 and are better than the average player).

Or maybe I push the deck into the wrong corner by playing it as a control deck rather than an aggro/combo deck what is quite strange because I like playing aggressive but wants to have the style of a control deck.

Thread Information