Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849 LastLast
Results 941 to 960 of 976

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

  1. #941
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2012
    Location

    Italy
    Posts

    318

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Do you really want to side in leyline of the void against decks playing wrenn and six, snapcaster, dreadhorde arcanist and such things ?

    As you said, games tipically go long, so siding in 4 totally uncastable cards that do nothing except if you have them in your opener doesn't seem like a very good idea.

    It is true though that exiling graveyards right now seems absolutely bonkers. I was thinking that a build with 2-4 rest in peace main, one helm main and one helm side could be very good right now. It would be a very different deck though because we could not run welder/engineer and probably we should also cut copter then.

  2. #942

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Hi Everyone!

    I am back after a very long break from Magic as a whole and want to get back to painting (planning on streaming in the next few weeks once I get done moving I will post when it gets closer ). I was wondering how people feel about the list that just posted at the Challenge on Sunday?

    List in question:
    Lands
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Bomat Courier
    2 City of Traitors
    1 Crystal Vein
    1 Fiery Islet
    4 Great Furnace
    5 Mountain
    2 Scalding Tarn

    Creatures
    4 Goblin Engineer
    4 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    1 Sundering Titan

    Planeswalkers
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Grim Monolith
    2 Grindstone
    2 Ichor Wellspring

    Instants
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast

    Sideboard
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Grindstone
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Razormane Masticore
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Sundering Titan
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Walking Ballista

    I am confused as to why the pilot doesn't have any painters in the board to find with Karn? and if anyone has tried the spicy Masticore in the board and sundering titan main.

    Also is this still the place for Mono-Red Painter and Shortcake?

    Thanks ahead of time and it's good to be back!

    -Milo

  3. #943

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Hey Milo, welcome back, exciting times for painter. The thread split in two a while ago, with the imperial painter thread and shortcake thread.

    There is a discord server that is more active:
    https://discord.gg/zP5QuQ

  4. #944

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    @LeoCop 90: It is a matter of personal preference, but at this point I cannot imagine going back to the more traditional graveyard hate. I agree that any Leyline drawn mid-game feels bad, but I found that an unanswered Dreadhorde Arcanist or W6 on turn 2 is lights out for us most of the time. Beside permission, these decks pack removal, discard and ways to find them, so 1-2 attacks by Dreadhorde Arcanist are often too much for us to keep up. Similarly W6 not only works great with Wasteland (for a 2-color deck that can go almost mono-color we have a surprisingly weak manabase), but recurring fetchlands in combination with countrips also give opponent powerful tools to find what they need.

    In summary, I am fine with slight card disadvantage (both on opening hand and through Leylines drawn mid-game) in exchange for turning off the cards that we most struggle with. Once these are gone, I find it not that difficult to grind them out - we just need to mind a few threats which are very manageable without the support of Arcanist/W6 effects: blasts shine against delvers and TNN and Tarmogoyf is less threatening with Leyline too. Their deck is also a lot of air and Daze/Spell Pierce become worse and worse as the game goes. I find that my win percentage against these decks is hugely different between opening hands with Leyline/Blood Moon and hands without these.

    I am aware of the advantages that traditional graveyard hate has and there are times when I miss Surgical, but all in all in the current meta the positives of Leyline outweigh them in my eyes. Rest in Peace is certainly an option, but it would require to fundamentally rethink the deck as the welder effects are in some respects our most important engine. Also for reference, I have replaced Smuggler's Copter with Arcum's Astrolabe which make the Leylines castable mid-game (not that it comes up very often).

  5. #945
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    661

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    @LeoCop: regarding leylines, I honestly go back and forth between them, as, like you said, drawing them kinda sucks. However, they are in all reality really good right now. Would I side them in against arcanist/snapcaster/W6 decks? 100% YES! A 1/3 for 2, an ambush viper and a planewalker who's only ability is to ping things for 1 are all pretty bad in legacy. It's also really the only grave hate card that totally nerfs Hogaak. I've just played so many games recently with surgicals and even 1 x grafdigger's cage and it's not the same, mostly because of W6 (BTW, if I weren't playing leylines I definitely would be playing a cage in the SB). It also gives you a very good alt. win condition against decks with a lot of creature/artifact removal. And, if you are playing an astrolabe version of the deck, it's actually not unheard of to cast leylines out of your hand. You could consider RiP as well but it's much slower to get down and usually it's already too late or it was stripped from your hand with discard. It's obviously terrible with the goblins and copter as well. Honestly, I don't think it's wrong to go with either grave hate package. Leylines are just more high ceiling/low floor.

    @Milo687: Greetings! Yeah, that another way to go with this deck and honestly I'm probably closer to this list myself than the traditional shortcake list others are on, except my wellsprings are astrolabes and I'm not playing bomat couriers or a sundering titan main (btw, bomat couriers are creatures, not lands). I've seen several people try couriers in painter, and I guess it's a cheap 1 drop that can net you some cards and empty your hand, it's just so easy to kill. Honestly, I've personally never played with the card. May be worth trying. I agree with your sentiment on painter. If I were to play this version I would probably move a painter to the board to add the 4th Karn and maybe splash black for 2 entomb/1-2 reanimate. The thing I don't like about this list is that it's very cold to good grave hate such as leyline or RiP. Cage could potentially get answered by your welders. Otherwise you just have to hope to naturally draw 1 of 2 grindstones or 1 of 3 karn or blow up enchantments with painter+blast, sometimes a tall order.

    With how fair the meta has become and all the W6 and 4-color lists floating around, I'm really considering going to a more old-school traditional list with 3-4 blood moon and 2 ensnaring bridge. I used to have such good luck with that list against RUG delver and such. I just think it might be worth re-exploring.

  6. #946

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Hi all,

    After reading the forum, I have finally managed to put together the deck and plan to try it at the next monthly tournament. I saw in some post that there is a discord channel for the deck discussion, may I kindly ask you how it is possible to join it?

    Many thanks for your help

  7. #947

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by redwall13 View Post
    Hi all,

    After reading the forum, I have finally managed to put together the deck and plan to try it at the next monthly tournament. I saw in some post that there is a discord channel for the deck discussion, may I kindly ask you how it is possible to join it?

    Many thanks for your help
    https://discord.gg/gAHRSB

  8. #948

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Thanks a lot. However when I click on it says the invite has expired. Apologies I am in Europe and was only able to check tonight your reply.

  9. #949

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake


  10. #950
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    661

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    So I know most folks just communicate on the discord channel these days, but this thread was deep into page 2, so I just had to give it some love. I've been jamming the deck a decent amount, but mostly in the practice room and locally, as I seem to be going through a lot of changes with the deck. I'm finally at a point where I'm feeling pretty comfortable, and here's some reflections on what's been working and what hasn't for me over the recent weeks...

    1. I'm kinda over the snow version of the deck. Astrolabe was cute and all. It did provide fodder for goblin shenanigans and sometimes it drew a couple cards off of welding tricks, but overall they just weren't good enough. I felt like it was either them or smuggler's copters/bomat couriers, and for what I want to be doing with this deck now, the other options are just better. So I am putting away the snow version for a while.

    2. Bomat vs smuggler's copter. This is a tough one actually. Bomat is faster and can sometimes really refill your hand, especially against combo and control, when they don't have cheap blockers. The problem is it's a 1/1 so doesn't do a lot of damage, which is relevant against planeswalkers in particular. It also dies to W6. Both cards can put needed cards in the graveyard from hand. Sometimes though you don't want to necessarily put ALL of your hand into the graveyard (Karn, I'm looking at you), so in that case, copter is better. Copter is just kinda fragile...you have to have another creature or Karn out, and sometimes that creature is a gobin, which you don't want to use to crew. Sometimes copter just sits on the board and doesn't do anything, and that's when it's REALLY BAD. I may actually play a split of these two cards. Since I took LED out of my main, bomat is really the go to to discard my hand when needed, at instant speed. At least 1 copy is probably good.

    3. Speaking of LED, like I mentioned on the discord channel, I'm playing 1 LED SB and went to a grim monolith in the main. Honestly, it's just strictly better, especially if you are playing 4 copies of karn. Monolith is just so good at powering out Karn and still serves to accelerate other lines as well (such as comboing off). Of course this cuts down on the 1/1000 God hand draws of turn 1 combo, but the pros far outweigh the cons. I would strongly recommend it.

    4. I don't remember the name of the person who posted their list with 8 x goblins and a Sundering Titan in the main, but I've been playing this for a while now and it is super strong. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a turn 2 titan in play and it just wrecks the opponent. I had a game today against Food Chain combo where I won both games because they never had the chance to get more than 2 lands on the board. I would just weld in and out the titan and blow up their lands repeatedly. Yes, opponents are much more likely to board in all their grave hate against you, but we really don't care that much. We can either get rid of it or just play around it with Karn and other tutor effects.

    5. If you are going to play the 8 goblin package, I also then recommend a triskelion somewhere in the 75. Much like Titan, trisk can just take over a game against certain decks (eg. any tribal deck or D&T).

    6. Celestial purge has been surprisingly good. Not only does it naturally take out some key cards in the meta right now, but you can also name red or black with painter and take out anything. I actually exiled a chalice on 1 earlier today this way. I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. I am currently splitting it with other removal

    7. Regarding other removal, I'm having a hard time with that right now. I understand why lightning bolts are good, but are they? They do take out arcanist, but I'm not seeing as many of those lately. They DON'T take out W6, as W6 almost always bumps up to 4 when it comes down. I'm wondering if something with more utility would be better, like abrade or fiery confluence. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for playing bolts, but I think you could make an argument for something else as well.

    8. I'm glad to hear people are adopting the 4 x Karn in the deck. He's just stupid good in this deck.

    8. I think blood moon is still good, but it's just hard to find room for multiples right now. In Shortcake it's probably right to still be on 1 to tutor for. If I were playing Imperial though, I would be playing at least 3 in the 75.

    9. Recruiter has been feeling really slow lately. I may go down to 2. This deck's crucial turn feels like it should be turn 2-3 these days. I know some people will call this heresy but I would never want to draw more than 1 a game.

    All for now. Thoughts?

  11. #951

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    So I know most folks just communicate on the discord channel these days,...
    I don't like discord and stay loyal to this forum. Yes, i'm probably missing out on a lot of new tech and idea's but I just can't get used to the chaos of Discord.

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    1. I'm kinda over the snow version of the deck. Astrolabe was cute and all. It did provide fodder for goblin shenanigans and sometimes it drew a couple cards off of welding tricks, but overall they just weren't good enough. I felt like it was either them or smuggler's copters/bomat couriers, and for what I want to be doing with this deck now, the other options are just better. So I am putting away the snow version for a while.
    I played the snow version on some small touneys and indeed, I agree with your conclusions. It is nice and new, but I don't feel like it makes our harder Mu's better and thus I already dumped it.

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    2. Bomat vs smuggler's copter. This is a tough one actually. Bomat is faster and can sometimes really refill your hand, especially against combo and control, when they don't have cheap blockers. The problem is it's a 1/1 so doesn't do a lot of damage, which is relevant against planeswalkers in particular. It also dies to W6. Both cards can put needed cards in the graveyard from hand. Sometimes though you don't want to necessarily put ALL of your hand into the graveyard (Karn, I'm looking at you), so in that case, copter is better. Copter is just kinda fragile...you have to have another creature or Karn out, and sometimes that creature is a gobin, which you don't want to use to crew. Sometimes copter just sits on the board and doesn't do anything, and that's when it's REALLY BAD. I may actually play a split of these two cards. Since I took LED out of my main, bomat is really the go to to discard my hand when needed, at instant speed. At least 1 copy is probably good.
    Again, I don't like Copter and always felt that it was really bad. Courrier is something I haven't tested yet, but reading your conclusions make me wonder if we want it. It is true that the only thing this deck needs to really put it over the top is (decent) card selection. Let's hope that wizards decides to really spoil the red mages in the near future :D

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    3. Speaking of LED, like I mentioned on the discord channel, I'm playing 1 LED SB and went to a grim monolith in the main. Honestly, it's just strictly better, especially if you are playing 4 copies of karn. Monolith is just so good at powering out Karn and still serves to accelerate other lines as well (such as comboing off). Of course this cuts down on the 1/1000 God hand draws of turn 1 combo, but the pros far outweigh the cons. I would strongly recommend it.
    I'll test it

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    4. I don't remember the name of the person who posted their list with 8 x goblins and a Sundering Titan in the main, but I've been playing this for a while now and it is super strong. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a turn 2 titan in play and it just wrecks the opponent. I had a game today against Food Chain combo where I won both games because they never had the chance to get more than 2 lands on the board. I would just weld in and out the titan and blow up their lands repeatedly. Yes, opponents are much more likely to board in all their grave hate against you, but we really don't care that much. We can either get rid of it or just play around it with Karn and other tutor effects.
    Only question I have for this is: doesn't Titan hurt you to much too? I mean with taking out a mountain every time?

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    5. If you are going to play the 8 goblin package, I also then recommend a triskelion somewhere in the 75. Much like Titan, trisk can just take over a game against certain decks (eg. any tribal deck or D&T).
    I always like oldschool options :)

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    6. Celestial purge has been surprisingly good. Not only does it naturally take out some key cards in the meta right now, but you can also name red or black with painter and take out anything. I actually exiled a chalice on 1 earlier today this way. I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. I am currently splitting it with other removal
    Nice Modern port! Will try it out!

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    7. Regarding other removal, I'm having a hard time with that right now. I understand why lightning bolts are good, but are they? They do take out arcanist, but I'm not seeing as many of those lately. They DON'T take out W6, as W6 almost always bumps up to 4 when it comes down. I'm wondering if something with more utility would be better, like abrade or fiery confluence. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for playing bolts, but I think you could make an argument for something else as well.
    Downside for Confluence is that it doesn't hit PW and the 4cmc.

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    8. I'm glad to hear people are adopting the 4 x Karn in the deck. He's just stupid good in this deck.
    Stated for true!!

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    8. I think blood moon is still good, but it's just hard to find room for multiples right now. In Shortcake it's probably right to still be on 1 to tutor for. If I were playing Imperial though, I would be playing at least 3 in the 75.
    I'm on Imperial and I'm really liking the triple Moon MD

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    9. Recruiter has been feeling really slow lately. I may go down to 2. This deck's crucial turn feels like it should be turn 2-3 these days. I know some people will call this heresy but I would never want to draw more than 1 a game.
    I see your point and with the double set of welders now, I'm also cutting down on recruiters. So it isn't complete heresy :)

  12. #952

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    2. Bomat vs smuggler's copter. This is a tough one actually. Bomat is faster and can sometimes really refill your hand, especially against combo and control, when they don't have cheap blockers. The problem is it's a 1/1 so doesn't do a lot of damage, which is relevant against planeswalkers in particular. It also dies to W6. Both cards can put needed cards in the graveyard from hand. Sometimes though you don't want to necessarily put ALL of your hand into the graveyard (Karn, I'm looking at you), so in that case, copter is better. Copter is just kinda fragile...you have to have another creature or Karn out, and sometimes that creature is a gobin, which you don't want to use to crew. Sometimes copter just sits on the board and doesn't do anything, and that's when it's REALLY BAD. I may actually play a split of these two cards. Since I took LED out of my main, bomat is really the go to to discard my hand when needed, at instant speed. At least 1 copy is probably good.

    4. I don't remember the name of the person who posted their list with 8 x goblins and a Sundering Titan in the main, but I've been playing this for a while now and it is super strong. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a turn 2 titan in play and it just wrecks the opponent. I had a game today against Food Chain combo where I won both games because they never had the chance to get more than 2 lands on the board. I would just weld in and out the titan and blow up their lands repeatedly. Yes, opponents are much more likely to board in all their grave hate against you, but we really don't care that much. We can either get rid of it or just play around it with Karn and other tutor effects.


    All for now. Thoughts?
    Bomat doesn't block Delver.

    You should be winning 99% of games where your T1 Welder survives into a T2 Engineer, regardless of Sundering Titan or Grindstone or Ensnaring Bridge. Tinker with two welders to protect it should win every single game where it happens, almost regardless of what you get. I haven't played enough (or at all) with ST, so I don't know if it's worth the slot, but it sure ain't the card you win with in Vintage. Like, why not Mindslaver?

  13. #953
    Member
    Davek's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2012
    Location

    Bologna, Italy
    Posts

    135

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    I think Wurmcoil is the best reanimation card for this deck, because it is very abusable in a heavy welder build, it nets you a ton of life and prevents a lot of creatures to attack you. Also, it's very expensive in terms of resources for your opponent to get rid of it. Like every expensive card, it is something you usually do not want in your hand (but i tutored for it many times in long grindy games) so i like some sort of looting effect. Atm i'm running a copter and a pair of Faithless looting but i'm far from being sure that's the right configuration.
    @Drude: i'm curious about your list, would you mind sharing it?

  14. #954
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    661

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Hisa View Post
    Bomat doesn't block Delver.

    You should be winning 99% of games where your T1 Welder survives into a T2 Engineer, regardless of Sundering Titan or Grindstone or Ensnaring Bridge. Tinker with two welders to protect it should win every single game where it happens, almost regardless of what you get. I haven't played enough (or at all) with ST, so I don't know if it's worth the slot, but it sure ain't the card you win with in Vintage. Like, why not Mindslaver?
    Wha? First, name another artifact in this deck that you get with a turn 1 welder into a turn 2 engineer that's an "auto win"? One of the combo pieces? A bridge? The only thing that's maybe close is canonist against storm. Your are getting a little warmer with the mind slaver suggestion but it costs 4 to activate, so nope.

    Wurmcoil is certainly reasonable, but 1 StP completely negates it. That's the only thing I don't like about it. It might be right though in a burn or aggro heavy meta. The nice thing about titan is that, even against a StP deck titan will still take out multiple lands...2 coming in and 2 going out. That's petty good. StP can't really ever exile trial since trisk can just kill itself.

    I'll post my list tomorrow.
    Last edited by drude1; 09-06-2019 at 12:58 PM.

  15. #955
    Victory Dance ftw?
    Mirrislegend's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    1,000

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    6. Celestial purge has been surprisingly good. Not only does it naturally take out some key cards in the meta right now, but you can also name red or black with painter and take out anything. I actually exiled a chalice on 1 earlier today this way. I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. I am currently splitting it with other removal
    How often do you successfully resolve Purge vs W6? That's my primary reason to try Purge, but I suspect a 2 mana off-color spell will not resolve in a timely fashion vs recurring Wastelands backed by Daze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

    God, is that furry bondage?

  16. #956
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    661

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    How often do you successfully resolve Purge vs W6? That's my primary reason to try Purge, but I suspect a 2 mana off-color spell will not resolve in a timely fashion vs recurring Wastelands backed by Daze.
    Well, I'm playing a basic plains, a mox opal and 4 petals, so that's 6 mana sources that aren't affected by W6. Also, the thing with W6 is that it's not really an "answer immediately or lose" sort of card like Jace. It's okay to bide your time a little. You just can't let it ultimate. Additionally, you have more exciting things to do with your own deck that will be attracting your opponent's counterspells.

    First, here is a "general" list of what I've been playing lately...

    3 x Bomat/Smuggler (currently at 2 bomat/1 smuggler but could easily go the other way)
    4 x Welder
    4 x Engineer
    3 x Painter
    1 x Canonist
    2 x Recruiter
    1 x Sundering Titan

    1 x Mox Opal
    4 x Lotus Petal
    3 x Grindstone
    2 x E.Tutor
    4 x Pyroblast
    1 x REB
    1 x Grim Monolith
    1 x Ensnaring Bridge (really want 2 and sometimes cut one of the bomat/copter spots for the second bridge)
    1 x Tangle Wire (this card has been better than expected so I've kept it)
    1 x Blood Moon
    4 x Karn

    4 x Ancient Tomb
    4 x Arid Mesa
    3 x City of Traitors
    3 x Great Furnace
    3 x Mountain
    1 x Plains
    1 x Plateau

    SB
    2 x Celestial Purge
    2 x Surgical
    2 x (burn spell, not sure yet...bolt, abrade, confluence, etc)
    1 x LED
    1 x Crypt
    1 x Grindstone
    1 x Relic of Progenitus
    1 x Painter
    1 x Ratchet Bomb
    1 x Ensnaring Bridge
    1 x Lattice
    1 x Trisk

    I was on 20 lands for the longest time, but recently have been just trying out 1 x opal. I feel like I am playing enough artifacts to support it as a 1 of (another reason I am leaning more towards bomat than copter now) and in my very limited testing so far I have liked it. Vote's not in yet though.

    With sneak and show and dark depths decks being so popular now I would probably lean towards the second bridge in the main. If I did that I would either 1 bomat/1copter split or 2 bomat since copter sometimes has a hard time attacking through a bridge.

    As for SB, it might be better to go 2 tormod's crypt over 1 relic, for the reasons that Jack pointed out on discord. The ability of relic to eat cards in the more fair matchups though are what keeps me playing it for now. Ratchet Bomb is a flex slot for me and could certainly be something else depending on the meta (eg needle, another grave hate card, 3sphere, etc). Could even play a third burn spell of your choice or I might add a cratermaker to that slot from time to time.

    Again, I know most people don't like fewer than 4 recruiters, and one nice thing about recruiter in my build is that it also gets trisk when needed, which has come up once or twice. I just want to see how it goes with fewer. Honestly, I haven't played 4 for a long time but usually have been on 3.

    Tangle Wire was an experimentation that was a progression from 3 blood moon to 2 blood moon/1 Tangle Wire to 1/1 split. Fetching Tangle wire with the goblins is really good against combo decks because it really taxes their resources. It's also nice because you can weld it in and out to tax your opponent and not yourself. I decided to download a match against T.E.S. to illustrate what I'm talking about...

    https://youtu.be/CbDHIdygk44

    Anyway, I know this list looks a little schizophrenic. And for people who don't have much experience with the deck, I would probably play Jack's list, as it is likely more consistent and straight forward in purpose. This type of list adds a lot of different lines that you don't necessarily see when looking at the list on paper. For experienced painters, there are a lot of tricks available to us right now. The best thing about this deck is that you can really tailor it to a particular meta. It's the only deck that I haven't felt the need to completely put away for a period of time, and given the tools we have gotten recently, the deck is definitely for real, and still doesn't get the attention or respect that it deserves.

  17. #957

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Hello,
    I'm trying to find 75 cards to take to GP Bologna, November 29. That's my list for now.

    DECK
    19 Lands:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Mountain*
    2 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace

    16 Creatures:
    3 Goblin Welder
    2 Goblin Engineer
    3 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter*
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Ethersworn Canonist*
    1 Goblin Cratermaker

    3 Planeswalkers:
    3 Karn, the Great Creator

    10 Instants:
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    4 Lightning Bolt

    11 Artifacts:
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

    1 Enchantment:
    1 Blood Moon

    SIDEBOARD:
    Karn's toolbox:

    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Grindstone
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Painter's Servant

    Other:
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Spellskite*
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Smuggler's Copter*
    4 Leyline of the Void

    I'm really happy with main deck Lightning Bolts as they help stabilize games or deal with pesky PW. They occasionally secure victory when on the beatdown plan as well. Leylines are very strong in current meta and not having to invest resources in silver bullets in the beginning can be crucial.

    I'm not sure about Canonists and their value yet. Maybe somebody can explain to me, why they are valueable. Outside the ANT matchup of course :)
    4th Smuggler's Copter is to strengthen beatdown plan or when I expect that I will have hard time comboing off.

    I'd love to expand goblin combo to be able to weld in something nasty.
    I might be testing exchanging: Canonist*, Recruiter*, Spelskite*, Copter* and Mountain* for REB, Wurmcoil Engine, Welder, Engineer and Great Furnace.
    As well as moving a Bolt to sideboard to make space for Wurmcoil Engine.

    I'm really not sure about those Canonists and need some advice.
    Any other thoughts?

    ps. It's nice to see more Strawberry Shortcake and Imperial Painter players. Good to be here :)
    Last edited by Unehru; 09-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.

  18. #958

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Canonist locks the game once you have the combo down. Opponent hits your painter/stone you combo off, they cast a spell trying to progress their board state and you combo off and there is nothing further they can cast in either situation to stop you.

    I actually think it is better in a more experienced meta, where opponents don’t concede straight away to having painter/stone active.

  19. #959

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungian Thing View Post
    Canonist locks the game once you have the combo down. Opponent hits your painter/stone you combo off, they cast a spell trying to progress their board state and you combo off and there is nothing further they can cast in either situation to stop you.
    That's huge! I haven't thought about waiting with activation untill opp is locked with Canonist. Thank you! I might find space for 3 of them now :D

    Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

  20. #960
    Member
    drude1's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Location

    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts

    661

    Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

    Yeah, that's kinda the point of the card. However, I don't know if it's worth 3 spots in the main anymore. The deck list has gotten pretty tight lately with all the new additions.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)