Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Can't you sideboard Humility in this deck, as it doesn't stop Servant?
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Can't you sideboard Humility in this deck, as it doesn't stop Servant?
    That got axed in 2017, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

If Humility is in play, Painter entering won't result in the etb-effect happening so no color is chosen. Painter in play before Humility still has the effect though. This is my simple understanding.

Edit: so no, Painter doesn't seem great with Humility, but it's not a definitive nonbo.

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by merfolkotpt View Post
    So another somewhat disappointing 2-2 performance at my local (good enough for 4th place, because my losses were the 1st and 2nd place players). Beat UR delver and ANT and lossed to Elves and Omnitell.

For elves, Game 1 had the one of rec sage turn 2 (no gsz needed) with it's good friend symbiote to just destroy me. Game 2 I felt firmly in control with the combo in hand and a goblin sharpshooter (new testing slot in sb) and he managed to natural order into archon of valor's reach naming artifact, which unless he makes a bad block or something is unbeatable unless i already had a painter in play.

For omnitell, I think this matchup is just miserable, i don't know what to side out, and am considering taking out all of the grindstones. Having Omni as an endboss at my local is really discouraging me from playing something without blue and black in it. Overall, I am 4-4 with the deck across these two weeks, and while I felt like I misplayed my way to a loss or 2 last week, this week, I felt like I probably played correctly for the most part, and it didn't really matter to the matches I lost.
    Honestly, UR Delver is the toughest matchup for Shortcake out of all of those, IMO.
    Elves and Omni (especially if it's straight Omnitell) aren't too bad. Both matchups we need to heavily lean on Canonist.
    Omni is a much easier matchup than traditional Sneak & Show because they get completely wrecked by Canonist and all our blasts.
    Archon out of Elves does suck. I've been under that lock before and it's miserable. Welder is technically a way out, but to do that without dying, you need to have stuff in the yard, or a copter to put it there, because you most likely wont have time discard to hand size.

Edit: Also, Petddan is correct about the interaction with Humility. That's the way it works now with the rules updates.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Elves and Omni (especially if it's straight Omnitell) aren't too bad. Both matchups we need to heavily lean on Canonist.
    Is this why so many lists have the 4th Canonist in the SB?
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Is this why so many lists have the 4th Canonist in the SB?
    I wouldn't say that's exactly why, but Canonist, in general, is a better hate piece than Moon in the current meta.

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

Yeah i just had a couple instances where i would put canonist into play off show and tell when they put in omni and they just sort of shrugged, passed, my upkeep cunning wish, their turn win anyway. The other part that was sort of annoying was the existence of boseiju, which was irritating. I kept in Blood Moon, because of that even though they run a lot of basics, and it made the enlightened tutors and stuff bad draws. Post board my opponent also had young pyromancers which were pretty good at racing me.

I can see how you can win that matchup, but cunning wish as the "I can answer anything" card is something i hate as compared to sneak and show, where ensnaring bridge = all I have to do to win is stop removal of the bridge.
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Jan 2017
    TN

Yeah i just had a couple instances where i would put canonist into play off show and tell when they put in omni and they just sort of shrugged, passed, my upkeep cunning wish, their turn win anyway.
    See, the way that's supposed to go is:
    Opp: Show and Tell?
    You: Resolves
    Opp: *puts in Omniscience*
    You: *puts in Canonist*

Then, on their turn still, stand up out of your chair and literally throw a redblast their Omni, since they can do nothing about it.

Finally, unbutton/unzip your pants, sit back down, crack a beer and turn on Home Improvement while making Tim Allen grunts.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    See, the way that's supposed to go is:
    Opp: Show and Tell?
    You: Resolves
    Opp: *puts in Omniscience*
    You: *puts in Canonist*

Then, on their turn still, stand up out of your chair and literally throw a redblast their Omni, since they can do nothing about it.

Finally, unbutton/unzip your pants, sit back down, crack a beer and turn on Home Improvement while making Tim Allen grunts.
    Basically this. Except then the ape opponent just puts in emrakul and you poop yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Basically this. Except then the ape opponent just puts in emrakul and you poop yourself

Pretty much. But what can you do, chimps gonna chimp. Wizards has decided for us that show and tell into griselape is fun and allowed, but top had to go because counterbalance had to be okay as well.

The sad thing is that with the current build our ability to fight them is better than it ever has been before, because Game 1 can be stolen through canonist+blast control, yet it is still a beyond horrible bad because of how dumb the deck is that there's really nothing you can do. Your best bet is to dodge it on the hope that your opponents personally chose not to play the deck.

My boarding plan isn't the greatest, but I feel in more games than not, even if many are lost anyways. Boseiju is a kick in the dick, it's high variance and you have to hope you can blast it and draw into another quickly. Ballista doesn't do anything postboard, it's only for those random game 1s where you need to win through a bridge and griselbrand stalemate because they don't run wishes/maindeck answers. Otherwise I'm going for canonist+blast+painter lockdown, and you can try to leverage surgical for hate and information. Crypt was good when we could pitch it for top draws, and right now im testing playing without it for comboing. With surgicals, playing more than 1 stone could be correct too. And then the other flip side is sometimes if you are tired or bored you can just play the crypt and all grindstones and get lucky and fast combo.

19 Land
    5 Fast Mana

4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Goblin Cratermaker

3 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Pyroblast
    4 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Surgical Extraction

Postboard
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Grindstone
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Smuggler's Copter
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jul 2009
    Cleveland

The other question I have about the Omni matchup is how aggressively I should be using redblasts, I have been saving them for using on show and tell/omni, or if they get a boseiju trying to deal with that, but it feels weird to oherwise "let them set up" with cantrips like crazy. ANy thoughts?
    @turingTested on twitter
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    これは水である。

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    If Humility is in play, Painter entering won't result in the etb-effect happening so no color is chosen. Painter in play before Humility still has the effect though. This is my simple understanding.

Edit: so no, Painter doesn't seem great with Humility, but it's not a definitive nonbo.
    This is how I am consistently told it works by judges and players now with the rules change, but earlier in the week in on MTGO I casted a painter with overwhelming splendor in play and I still got to choose a color. My opponent scooped also because I had the combo on board. MTGO not operating correctly isn’t surprising at all, but it’s just surprising for something that was a rules change nearly 2 years ago.
    Last edited by SDBobPlissken; 01-17-2019 at 08:47 PM.

The other question I have about the Omni matchup is how aggressively I should be using redblasts, I have been saving them for using on show and tell/omni, or if they get a boseiju trying to deal with that, but it feels weird to oherwise "let them set up" with cantrips like crazy. ANy thoughts?
    let them set up while you do the same. i think the best aproach is to save the blasts for their key spells and not waste them for cantrips. try to play some painter, canonist and blood moon in order to be ready to control them pretty well.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    This is how I am consistently told it works by judges and players now with the rules change, but earlier in the week in the week on MTGO I casted a painter with overwhelming splendor in play and I still got to choose a color. My opponent scooped also because I had the combo on board. Not that MTGO not operating correctly, it’s just surprising for something that was a rules change nearly 2 years ago.
    I actually AM playing a humility in my SB on MTGO right now for this very reason. It may be a little sleazy, but I don't give a fu@k.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    I actually AM playing a humility in my SB on MTGO right now for this very reason. It may be a little sleazy, but I don't give a fu@k.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Nice, probably not a bad sideboard option. Maybe this is WotC’s way of changing the rules back because they are always messing with Shortcake. Top, Moon, Magus and Painter under humility, etc.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Ashen Rider is a lifestyle. There should be at least 2 copies in every legacy sb.

Thoughts on adding the new card : Light up the Stage ?

Quote from WotC regarding the KCI banning, “As Modern stands, our metagame data does not indicate a need to impact the other Ancient Stirrings or Mox Opal decks.” (By banning Mox Opal/ ancient stirrings).

But it did feel a need to ban the other Sensei’s Divining Top decks in legacy. I hate to beat a dead horse and keep harping on this two years later but top should be unbanned and ban counterbalance.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Quote from WotC regarding the KCI banning, “As Modern stands, our metagame data does not indicate a need to impact the other Ancient Stirrings or Mox Opal decks.” (By banning Mox Opal/ ancient stirrings).

But it did feel a need to ban the other Sensei’s Divining Top decks in legacy. I hate to beat a dead horse and keep harping on this two years later but top should be unbanned and ban counterbalance.
    My memory isn't great, but I thought SDT was banned for making matches take too long, not due to Counter-Top dominance.

That having been said, as I get more familiar with the deck I think SDT would be amazing here.
    <System> Player Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    My memory isn't great, but I thought SDT was banned for making matches take too long, not due to Counter-Top dominance.

That having been said, as I get more familiar with the deck I think SDT would be amazing here.
    Yes, this is true. But from what I recall miracles was the only deck mentioned and they had no regard for the splash damage it would create for other decks. Also banning counterbalance would have helped with the timing issue. Topping once on your turn and once at the end of an opponent’s turn doesn’t take as much time as topping once on your turn, once on your opponents turn, and then for every spell that your opponent attempts to resolve. Throw in brainstorms, and fetch lands to dig and reshuffle and then top all over again in order to try and get the correct cmc with counterbalance. Counterbalance enabled you to stretch out time with top. If it was banned instead of top it wouldn’t have only mainly affected miracles and maybe high tide. Some lists were playing a playset in the sideboard.

Thread Information