Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Attacking an Eldrazi deck's mana with Blood Moon only delays the inevitable.

However, this guy changes that a bit. He also has utility (with Blood Moon) in other match-ups using Dark Depths as a win-condition. Keep in mind these lands are still non-basic under Moon.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Hollywood,

You always surprise me in the best ways possible. That card is actually very interesting, and something we should keep in mind. I agree that Moon does little for the variant Eldrazi ramp lists, especially if they run Titans. Permanently destroying the mana is a solid way to attack them. In practice I wonder how this works? Have you tested it out.

If nothing else, the art and flavor is amazing. The guy has a strong pedigree in early Vintage, even if the deck naming from that era was fairly homophobic.

With respect to the deck, I still caution everyone from adding more moons and Bridges. You are taking the deck in a different direction. The key is that for the most part all the cards are there to give us a little window to develop the board and assemble the combo. Running too many Moons and Bridges dilutes the ability to crew, making hard to assembly teh combo, while only marginally buy time. The balance is critical.

The second half of the article will have some more extended thoughts on sideboarding. They are inline with what jack is thinking, with some slight variations as we are constantly tinkering at this time.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Dwarven miner would be the same issue I think. Play it on turn 2 to activate on turn 3 while they have already dropped tks or a monolith. I just think blood moon is better than people give it credit for right now, especially since 3 color delver variants are still pretty popular. Turn 1 moon almost shuts down eldrazi stompy and slows down eldrazi post enough. If you can take out our counter their artifact Mana then you are golden. As is, we just get totally wrecked by those decks, and unfortunately they are really ticking up in popularity. And don't get me wrong, I am totally open for any suggestions to fight that deck. I just know that that MU (stompy version) used to practically be a bye with the old list.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jun 2010
    Germany

Is there any video content/coverage with this deck? I'm thinking about buying the missing cards but I'm not sure since the deck is so fringe.
    The 4 Canonist/Copter variant seems fairly new and I would love to see it in action.

There is a little, but not a ton. Hoogland played the deck to good results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUha0YU2DQ

slightly older version but still, in essence its the deck with copters and canonists

What are you missing for it? Aside from Plateaus, the other cards are either relatively cheap or else are Legacy staples (recruiter is $30 i think, but that's about the only high-ticket one). And you could just jam Sacred Foundry for a little while if Plateau was a problem.

It doesn't put up a ton of results, not because it's weak but because very few people play it. Jack took it to 7-1 in the Legacy challenge, undefeated in Swiss, and there's been many 4-1 and 5-0s.... Buddy of mine did 3-1 at a local weekly. It's a solid deck.
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

copied from the discord

played 5 games with Lands friend last night. 2-3. didn't feel bad with first time with the deck. Game 1 was preboard. games 2-5 post board.
    won the first and last
    i definitely don't understand the mulligan decisions. But when I was able to consistently put pressure it was good.
    some games closer than others. got wasteland locekd a few times as lands is wont to do
    felt like a Pithing Needle would have gone a long way though

Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    There is a little, but not a ton. Hoogland played the deck to good results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUha0YU2DQ

slightly older version but still, in essence its the deck with copters and canonists

What are you missing for it? Aside from Plateaus, the other cards are either relatively cheap or else are Legacy staples (recruiter is $30 i think, but that's about the only high-ticket one). And you could just jam Sacred Foundry for a little while if Plateau was a problem.

It doesn't put up a ton of results, not because it's weak but because very few people play it. Jack took it to 7-1 in the Legacy challenge, undefeated in Swiss, and there's been many 4-1 and 5-0s.... Buddy of mine did 3-1 at a local weekly. It's a solid deck.
    You forgot about $50 Ancient Tombs and $300 City of Traitors.

you can get them cheaper.

I just got cities off fb for <200.

WAIT FOR IT...

Went 3-1-1 at my LGS legacy monthly and came in 3/4 in the top 8. Played the following list (pretty much Kapn’s list) 25 players

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    3 mountain
    3 plateau
    2 scalding tarn
    2 arid Mesa
    1 wooded foothills
    1 great furnace

4 painter’s servant
    4 imperial recruiter
    4 ethersworn canonist
    2 goblin welder
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 walking ballista
    1 spirit guide

4 lotus petal
    4 smuggler’s copter
    4 grindstone
    4 pyroblasts
    3 enlightened tutor
    2 red elemental blast
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 blood moon
    1 engineered explosives

Sideboard:

4 surgical extraction
    4 pyroclasm
    2 containment priest
    1 tormods crypt
    1 goblin welder
    1 blood moon
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Duergar Hedgemage

Round 1. 2-1: RUG Delver
    Round 2. 2-1: Aggro Loam
    Round 3. 0-2: UWR Delver
    Round 4. 2-0: Storm
    Round 5. Draw to Top 8:????

Top 8: (7th seed)

Quarterfinals: 2-1 UWR Delver (same round 3 opponent)
    Semifinals: 1-2 Sneak and Show (opponent I would have faced in round 5 had we not decided to draw into top 8). Didn’t give myself the best chance in this match. I had a hand of 2 surgicals a spirit guide a priest and a blast with a painter on blue out. (He mulled to 5) I end of turn containment priest and he forces pitching omniscience. I could have fought over it by monkey blasting it but I thought blasting the show and tell or sneak attack was better since I could then cast surgical on it. He show and tells the next turn, I blast and surgical the show and tell. The last two cards in his hand are sneak attack and emrakul. I fail to draw a blast the next turn and he has enough mana to cast and activate. Don’t know if I would have won if I fought over the containment priest Cuz he had answers in the deck and five turns to find them.

All in all deck felt really good. Blood moon didn’t do much for me all day. I think I resolved one once and it was decayed a turn later.

Is there anything like a sideboard guide available? Tried some games on MTGO yesterday and while it is often clear what to put in, it is not always obvious what to board out. Often blasts and less relevant tutor targets had to go.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Went 3-1-1 at my LGS legacy monthly and came in 3/4 in the top 8. Played the following list (pretty much Kapn’s list) 25 players

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    3 mountain
    3 plateau
    2 scalding tarn
    2 arid Mesa
    1 wooded foothills
    1 great furnace

4 painter’s servant
    4 imperial recruiter
    4 ethersworn canonist
    2 goblin welder
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 walking ballista
    1 spirit guide

4 lotus petal
    4 smuggler’s copter
    4 grindstone
    4 pyroblasts
    3 enlightened tutor
    2 red elemental blast
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 blood moon
    1 engineered explosives

Sideboard:

4 surgical extraction
    4 pyroclasm
    2 containment priest
    1 tormods crypt
    1 goblin welder
    1 blood moon
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza
    1 Duergar Hedgemage

Round 1. 2-1: RUG Delver
    Round 2. 2-1: Aggro Loam
    Round 3. 0-2: UWR Delver
    Round 4. 2-0: Storm
    Round 5. Draw to Top 8:????

Top 8: (7th seed)

Quarterfinals: 2-1 UWR Delver (same round 3 opponent)
    Semifinals: 1-2 Sneak and Show (opponent I would have faced in round 5 had we not decided to draw into top 8). Didn’t give myself the best chance in this match. I had a hand of 2 surgicals a spirit guide a priest and a blast with a painter on blue out. (He mulled to 5) I end of turn containment priest and he forces pitching omniscience. I could have fought over it by monkey blasting it but I thought blasting the show and tell or sneak attack was better since I could then cast surgical on it. He show and tells the next turn, I blast and surgical the show and tell. The last two cards in his hand are sneak attack and emrakul. I fail to draw a blast the next turn and he has enough mana to cast and activate. Don’t know if I would have won if I fought over the containment priest Cuz he had answers in the deck and five turns to find them.

All in all deck felt really good. Blood moon didn’t do much for me all day. I think I resolved one once and it was decayed a turn later.
    I know this post isn't going to be super popular, but I really can't agree with your take on blood moon here. Looking at your report, you played 3 decks where an early blood moon would have been back breaking (the delver lists), and 2 decks where blood moon would be very relevant (STORM and aggro-loam). Only the sneak and show MU would I have taken blood moon out. Given how popular eldrazi and grixis control are (not to mention 3 color delver and shadow lists after the pro tour), I think blood moon's stock is really going up.

Having said that, I brought this list to my LGS tonight...

// Shortcake

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Lotus Petal

// 15 Creature
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Blood Moon

// 9 Instant
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Red Elemental Blast

// 19 Land
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Great Furnace
    3 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Plains
    2 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa

// 1 Planeswalker
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Ghirapur Aether Grid
    SB: 1 Sphere of Law
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Abrade
    SB: 1 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm

I ended up going 3-1.

Rnd 1: Lands - Game 1 turn 1 blood moon, game 2 didn't see blood moon but a copter plus welder recursion was able to block 20/20 avatar for 3 turns before assembling the combo. 2-0

Rnd 2: U/B Shadow (pro tour list) - had to mull both games due to low land. Never saw blood moon. Did actually assemble combo in both games but painter died to fatal push in response to grindstone activation both games. 0-2

Rnd 3: Mono blue Omni-Show - game 1 actually assembled and activated combo on turn 2 but then saw emrakul. Was able to get canonist down and blasts plus beats got me there. Game 2 was able to get early copter and karn tokens to put on heavy damage fast. Damage plus a couple blasts got there. 2-0

Rnd 4: Mono-red stompy - Game 1 fast combo. Game 2 blew up a couple artifact hate cards (turn 1 chalice with e.e and turn 2 sorcerous spyglass with abrade) early and comboed soon after. 2-0.

So ironically enough blood moon wasn't great in 2 of my MUs but the stompy guy I played round 4 said blood moon got him a few games on the night. Abrade was really good. I know Jaya looks funny these days but I just wanted to try her. Figured she couldn't be any worse than heretic. Karn was really good but would probably move it to the board for either another mana source or e.e main. Sideboard was loose (grid) but was just trying some things out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like where this deck is going, even without the blood moons. Copter is a hell of a card and I've always supported main deck canonist. I know the general consensus is to play a full 4 of these cards but I had to make room for the moons somewhere and I felt like both canonist and copter in multiples were redundant. I think that this deck is quite strong overall and horribly underestimated by most legacy players, and we can use that to our advantage. However, the problem we have is that, with no brainstorm/ponder, we are just naturally going to have more variance than our blue counterparts. We have to make up for that variance with more "must answer" cards in our deck, and blood moon is one of those cards that most decks just have to answer. I certainly do not discredit anyone who wants to run the stock shortcake without 4 x blood moon. At the same time, I don't agree that a 4 x blood moon list should automatically be discarded either.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Drude- I hope nobody is disregarding a 4 Blood Moon list, and if my posts came off as such I am sorry for the confusion. I do think that your recent experience is a perfect example of why it is still unclear. Pre DRS-banning, I think Canonist over Blood Moon was the correct play. Until we really see how the format shakes out, I don’t think we will know so you are correct that we need to keep it in the back of our minds as we go forward.
    I do think you hit on an interesting point with respect to combating cantrip shells. I think there are two ways to go about it and you hit on one of them. If every card is a bomb and you just keep casting them, you will beat the Cantrip shell. The issue is that I don’t think Painter can ever get that density of threats going. No combo deck can as we have so many spaces for fast mana, and redundancy in combo pieces. While Welder and Copter help reduce this, drawing extra Lotus Petals and Grindstones as the game wears on makes us fall behind. So eventually the fast mana, dead combo pieces, or lands will have us lose as the game goes past turn 4.
    The other way to combat this is to reduce our variance. Smuggler’s Copter addresses this. In many ways it functions as a repeatable cantrip and should be thought of as such. With this in mind, I really think running less than 4 is just wrong. In the current field it is probably better to cut the 4th Grindstone than one of the Copters. This isn’t just due to the Cantrip effect that it provides, but the other ways that it can interact and provide a window to win.
    With respect to your Sideboard, I like the trying of various cards. I am personally slowly finalizing the 75 at this time. But I think everything is in flux so it is reasonable to try a bunch of stuff.
    With respect to Blood Moon moving forward, I want to see what part of the format ends up on Lightning Bolt. Punishing Fires is a thing, but in the end, it will be Lightning Bolt that determines what form of Moon we play. If RUG doesn’t put up numbers like a lot of people thing, I am sort of feeling like Magus will be the superior Moon effect. This are a few reasons:
    1. Both die to Abrupt Decay, and he lives through Grip, which should give him more value against Turbo Depths lists.
    2. Fatal Push is a thing, but numbers aren’t looking like it’s a four of in decks. Although Deathshadow lists are running a couple Dismember
    3. He crews Copter which helps to improve consistency in all match ups
    4. Against Reanimator, BUG, Elves, Stompy lists, and various Eldrazi lists Magus is probably just better as on the play he is still a body.
    I think this issue needs to be considered, and in the end I doubt we will have an answer in the short term. There is also the fact that in general more Moon effects make the current Canonist/ E tutor lines more difficult. Canonist has continued to be so strong all the time that I am cautious about removing some of its utility and ease of use. My thoughts on E tutor have been laid out numerous times on this thread so I will save you all from having to read that again.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    Drude- I hope nobody is disregarding a 4 Blood Moon list, and if my posts came off as such I am sorry for the confusion. I do think that your recent experience is a perfect example of why it is still unclear. Pre DRS-banning, I think Canonist over Blood Moon was the correct play. Until we really see how the format shakes out, I don’t think we will know so you are correct that we need to keep it in the back of our minds as we go forward.
    I do think you hit on an interesting point with respect to combating cantrip shells. I think there are two ways to go about it and you hit on one of them. If every card is a bomb and you just keep casting them, you will beat the Cantrip shell. The issue is that I don’t think Painter can ever get that density of threats going. No combo deck can as we have so many spaces for fast mana, and redundancy in combo pieces. While Welder and Copter help reduce this, drawing extra Lotus Petals and Grindstones as the game wears on makes us fall behind. So eventually the fast mana, dead combo pieces, or lands will have us lose as the game goes past turn 4.
    The other way to combat this is to reduce our variance. Smuggler’s Copter addresses this. In many ways it functions as a repeatable cantrip and should be thought of as such. With this in mind, I really think running less than 4 is just wrong. In the current field it is probably better to cut the 4th Grindstone than one of the Copters. This isn’t just due to the Cantrip effect that it provides, but the other ways that it can interact and provide a window to win.
    With respect to your Sideboard, I like the trying of various cards. I am personally slowly finalizing the 75 at this time. But I think everything is in flux so it is reasonable to try a bunch of stuff.
    With respect to Blood Moon moving forward, I want to see what part of the format ends up on Lightning Bolt. Punishing Fires is a thing, but in the end, it will be Lightning Bolt that determines what form of Moon we play. If RUG doesn’t put up numbers like a lot of people thing, I am sort of feeling like Magus will be the superior Moon effect. This are a few reasons:
    1.Both die to Abrupt Decay, and he lives through Grip, which should give him more value against Turbo Depths lists.
    2.Fatal Push is a thing, but numbers aren’t looking like it’s a four of in decks. Although Deathshadow lists are running a couple Dismember
    3.He crews Copter which helps to improve consistency in all match ups
    4.Against Reanimator, BUG, Elves, Stompy lists, and various Eldrazi lists Magus is probably just better as on the play he is still a body.
    I think this issue needs to be considered, and in the end I doubt we will have an answer in the short term. There is also the fact that in general more Moon effects make the current Canonist/ E tutor lines more difficult. Canonist has continued to be so strong all the time that I am cautious about removing some of its utility and ease of use. My thoughts on E tutor have been laid out numerous times on this thread so I will save you all from having to read that again.

Seth
    Totally agree with all of your points in general. Swapping the 4th grindstone for the 4th copter is a thought. However, as you said, the further we get into a game vs blue decks the worse our odds probably get and I generally want to try to combo off as quickly as possible. I would like to still see the 4th copter in the list somewhere but just not sure how to make the room.
    Splitting blood moon and Maggie also has some potential as the crewing factor is real. In general though, I think the only deck that is playing abrupt decay regularly is aggro loam. I don't want to lose to a dark depths into punishing fires. I would say there is a lot more efficient creature removal than enchantment removal in most decks. One plains opens up swords, one swamp opens fatal push and a mountain obviously gets bolt. And like you said, even dismember sees play in a couple decks (particularly eldrazi).
    As for MUs and whether blood moon has relevance, the biggest downside of playing blood moon (in multiples) in the current meta is the increase in show and tell decks and the fact that people are still playing Mono red stompy and the splattering of goblins. Having said that, the fact that people are still on mono red stompy (including a bunch of pro tour players) speaks to the fact that blood moon is good right now. The commonly played decks that blood moon is good against? All 3 color delvers, grixis control, eldrazi, lands, aluren, u/b shadow, jeskai control, elves. It's also reasonable against miracles, d&t, and storm (I usually cut 2 copies against these decks). And the thing is, having 3 copters/canonists vs 4 copters/canonists in those MUs (minus the 4th canonist against storm) isn't going to make a ton of difference.
    You do make a very good point that blood moon doesn't play well with e.tutor/canonist sometimes, but A. this had always been the case, and B. the 4 x petal helps and it's also why I'm one of the basic plains guys and would potentially advocate for another fetch or maybe even something like a one-of mox opal. The issue has come up a little in my testing, but I can't say I've actually lost a game to it yet. It is also definitely one of the reasons that I cut 1 canonist to make room for the moons. The e.tutors you can usually fire off pre-moon.
    You are definitely right that the meta could still shift. I'm just going by what I am currently seeing online and in the pro tour. As grixis and eldrazi become more popular, this deck will need an answer. If I had to play in a large event with this deck tomorrow, I would play it with 4 x blood moon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I wasn’t saying that blood moon wouldn’t have been really good in those matchups. I was just trying to say that I went as far as I did without relying on it. The only time I got it into play was against aggro loam on turn 2 when he had a bayou in play. O his next turn he went Mox Diamond basic forest and decayed the moon. The blood moon would have been great against UWR Delver the both times I played it if I had saw one. Against my RUG opponent I think I only saw one in game 2 (which I lost) and it was met with a Counter. I agree with it still being a must answer against a lot of the field. I would like to fit more into the 75 somewhere but I think I’m gonna continue with the 1 main 1 side for a little as I also maybe want to go up to three containment priests on the board. Against Storm I always found blood moon to not be that great especially in game 2 and 3. I actually bored out the main deck moon for games 2 and 3 now. Against storm it’s usually +1 crypt, +2 pyroclasm, +4 surgical, . - 1 bridge, -1 lavamancer, -1 ballista, -1 blood moon, -2 copter, -1 recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    I know this post isn't going to be super popular, but I really can't agree with your take on blood moon here. Looking at your report, you played 3 decks where an early blood moon would have been back breaking (the delver lists), and 2 decks where blood moon would be very relevant (STORM and aggro-loam). Only the sneak and show MU would I have taken blood moon out. Given how popular eldrazi and grixis control are (not to mention 3 color delver and shadow lists after the pro tour), I think blood moon's stock is really going up.

Having said that, I brought this list to my LGS tonight...

// Shortcake

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Grindstone
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Smuggler's Copter
    4 Lotus Petal

// 15 Creature
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Blood Moon

// 9 Instant
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Red Elemental Blast

// 19 Land
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Great Furnace
    3 Mountain
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Plains
    2 Plateau
    4 Arid Mesa

// 1 Planeswalker
    1 Karn, Scion of Urza

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Ghirapur Aether Grid
    SB: 1 Sphere of Law
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 2 Abrade
    SB: 1 Kozilek's Return
    SB: 2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm

I ended up going 3-1.

Rnd 1: Lands - Game 1 turn 1 blood moon, game 2 didn't see blood moon but a copter plus welder recursion was able to block 20/20 avatar for 3 turns before assembling the combo. 2-0

Rnd 2: U/B Shadow (pro tour list) - had to mull both games due to low land. Never saw blood moon. Did actually assemble combo in both games but painter died to fatal push in response to grindstone activation both games. 0-2

Rnd 3: Mono blue Omni-Show - game 1 actually assembled and activated combo on turn 2 but then saw emrakul. Was able to get canonist down and blasts plus beats got me there. Game 2 was able to get early copter and karn tokens to put on heavy damage fast. Damage plus a couple blasts got there. 2-0

Rnd 4: Mono-red stompy - Game 1 fast combo. Game 2 blew up a couple artifact hate cards (turn 1 chalice with e.e and turn 2 sorcerous spyglass with abrade) early and comboed soon after. 2-0.

So ironically enough blood moon wasn't great in 2 of my MUs but the stompy guy I played round 4 said blood moon got him a few games on the night. Abrade was really good. I know Jaya looks funny these days but I just wanted to try her. Figured she couldn't be any worse than heretic. Karn was really good but would probably move it to the board for either another mana source or e.e main. Sideboard was loose (grid) but was just trying some things out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like where this deck is going, even without the blood moons. Copter is a hell of a card and I've always supported main deck canonist. I know the general consensus is to play a full 4 of these cards but I had to make room for the moons somewhere and I felt like both canonist and copter in multiples were redundant. I think that this deck is quite strong overall and horribly underestimated by most legacy players, and we can use that to our advantage. However, the problem we have is that, with no brainstorm/ponder, we are just naturally going to have more variance than our blue counterparts. We have to make up for that variance with more "must answer" cards in our deck, and blood moon is one of those cards that most decks just have to answer. I certainly do not discredit anyone who wants to run the stock shortcake without 4 x blood moon. At the same time, I don't agree that a 4 x blood moon list should automatically be discarded either.

Seems like a silly question but I'm really curious. How much does it matter which fetches I use? Do I want to run 4 Tarns and represent a deck I'm not playing or should I just run whatever 5 red fetches I feel like?
    Note: not doing the 1-of plains thing currently

I try to run a variety of red fetches in the off chance that my opponent wants to pithing needle or surgical one of them. Chances are it won’t matter as those cards typically come in game 2 against you and there are much better targets for your opponent to use those cards against ex. Grindstone, welder, painter, pyroblast. I use 2 tarn, 2 Mesa, 1 foothills. that’s mainly cuz those are the ones I have that are foil. I think I recall jack mentioning in the old thread that 4 tarns might be ideal since we play tombs and cities and our opponent might mistake us for Sneak and Show. However, I don’t think that all in all it matters. If they are going to surgical or needle a fetch I would probably rather that than one of my spells or combo pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totenbot View Post
    Seems like a silly question but I'm really curious. How much does it matter which fetches I use? Do I want to run 4 Tarns and represent a deck I'm not playing or should I just run whatever 5 red fetches I feel like?
    Note: not doing the 1-of plains thing currently

Hey, I know this might not be the best place for budget questions, but given how pricey CofT has gotten, how much does it ultimately hurt to run Crystal Veins instead?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Hey, I know this might not be the best place for budget questions, but given how pricey CofT has gotten, how much does it ultimately hurt to run Crystal Veins instead?
    It’s like shocks over duals in tes. Will it ultimately matter? Yea. Will it resemble the real thing most of the time? Sure. You do lose curving out recruiter into painter though

I don’t think the deck is really that much more expensive than it was 5 years ago as well, recruiter and city have essentially flip flopped
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Grindstone is bugged on Mtgo. Went to activate two separate times and the game crapped out. Might just be in response to removal on the painter. Not sure exactly, but everyone plan accordingly.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Grindstone is bugged on Mtgo. Went to activate two separate times and the game crapped out. Might just be in response to removal on the painter. Not sure exactly, but everyone plan accordingly.
    Yeah, I already sent a bug report to WoTC about it. Same thing happens to me.

Thread Information