Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Re: [Deck] Strawberry Shortcake

Quote Originally Posted by kayla180 View Post
    As a new player to this deck I was wondering what your thoughts would be on this list? I like the idea of playing daretti so I wanted to try mardu.

3 Goblin Welder
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    4 Painter's servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Grindstone
    4 Smuggler's Copter
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Blood Moon
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Badlands
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Great Furnace
    2 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    2 Wooded Foothills

2 Containment Priest
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Viashino Heratic
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    I like it. Let us know how testing goes. Part of the appeal of splashing black to me is that we can play salughter games, Kommand, dread of night and chains in the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Chandra is nice because she's a straight up alternate win condition. Daretti unfortunately isn't. He's incredibly powerful with the main gameplan though.
    Its that I don't like how Chandra exiles the card with her +1. I love her and think she is great in other decks, but I hate the lack of synergy with welder

List for tomorrow:

4 painters servant
    4 pyroblast
    2 red elemental blast
    4 smugglers copter
    3 daretti, shaped savant
    4 grindstone
    3 ethersworn canonist
    4 lotus petal
    4 imperial recruiter
    3 goblin welder
    3 enlightened tutor
    1 simian spirit guide
    1 blood moon
    1 walking ballista
    1 ensnaring bridge
    3 mountain
    1 plains
    2 great furnace
    4 arid mesa
    3 city of traitors
    1 plateau
    4 ancient tomb

Sideboard:
    3 pyroclasm
    1 blood moon
    1 ensnaring bridge
    4 surgical extraction
    1 tormods crypt
    1 engineered explosives
    1 sorcerous spyglass
    1 grim lavamancer
    1 duergar hedgemage
    1 stuffy doll (I love my random fun ofs)

Quote Originally Posted by GradStudent View Post
    hope its the fabled reanipainter
    Artificer’s Intuition and Goblin Welder. Basically Grixis. Hit the lab hard on this one.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Artificer’s Intuition and Goblin Welder. Basically Grixis. Hit the lab hard on this one.
    Omg, I cant wait for your decklist!

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

@Fallen_Empire: That's a tough question. I think it really depends on meta. Honestly, right now in a big tournament mono-blue is probably better. I say that though because I think it has a better matchup against grixis control and miracles, which are probably the two biggest boogy men in the room. Mono blue has been putting up some pretty good results lately. And there aren't a lot of decks that can deal with The Antiquities War. That card is bonkers. However, if you are playing the more currently popular version of the deck (without chalice), then the combo matchups are bad. It's probably also worse against Eldrazi, particularly Eldrazi Post, since they just have the ultimate go-long strategy against that deck. I've beat that deck once and that was with the llawan painter combo on board and removing all is dust with Unmoored Ego. You have to have exacties. I'll also say that you can really get some do nothing hands in the opening 7 with the mono blue list.

@Kayla180: I am also a big fan of Daretti. I actually like the list. It's the closest you can get to combining Daretti with Jack's list. I do agree with SDBob though that if you are going to splash a third color there are a lot of really sweet black sideboards cards that you should consider. Dread of Night is particularly sweet because you can tutor for it and set painter to white to hit elves or young pyro or true-name, etc. And again, I would always advocate for 4 x blood moon in the 75, but that's just me.

@Vaughnopoly: There is a guy at my LGS that plays red Daretti in his list and he really likes it. He is playing a mono-red version of the list though and Daretti is his draw engine. I think he has had good luck with it.

Also, for the majority of people here who aren't on 4 blood moon main, is it still worth it to play all the fast mana? (petals, SSG). I thought the point of that was to get out a turn one blood moon with a sol land. I understand you can power out a turn 1 copter a little easier if you need to. But other than that is it worth it?

Artificer's Intuition is spicy. If it would fetch 2 or less artifact it would be the absolute nut. It's a card you definitely have to build around a little though. Also looking forward to seeing a list.

Jan 2017
    TN

Played in the Legacy Challenge on MtGO yesterday. My first decent-sized tournament since being back on Shortcake (still working on picking up the cards in paper).
    The list I played was:

4 Painter’s Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Smuggler’s Copter
    4 Grindstone
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Engineered Explosives

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Blood Moon

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Plateau
    3 Mountain
    1 Great Furnace

//Sideboard
    1 Containment Priest
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Goblin Cratermaker
    3 Pyroclasm
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Tormod’s Crypt
    2 Karn, Scion of Urza

I ended up 41/87 (not as good as JustJasper, who pulled out that 16th spot!)

My matchups were:

DnT: 2-1
    Eldrazi Post: 1-2
    Miracles: 1-2 (Annurag)
    Miracles: 2-1
    Miracles: 2-0
    Miracles: 0-2 (punt-city)
    Sneak & Show: 1-2

I played against Miracles...a lot.
    Playing against Post just feels miserable.
    The game vs Annurag was honestly pretty close.
    The fourth game vs Miracles was against one of my old DDFT buddies and the loss was all my fault.
    I missed a Welder line that I should have seen from a mile away. I literally saw it as I passed turn.

All in all, it was a pretty meh showing from me, but I still feel rusty with the deck. I've been away far too long from my beloved Shortcake.
    Nothing felt absolutely unwinnable, even against Post and Sneak & Show. I did kind of miss the 7th blast in the SB, but I don't think you can reasonably expect to play against Miracles for 4 rounds, in a row.

It was pretty funny to put in a Canonist off of Show & Tell when my opponent put in an Omniscience in game 3, even if it did only buy me one more turn before death.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Also, for the majority of people here who aren't on 4 blood moon main, is it still worth it to play all the fast mana? (petals, SSG). I thought the point of that was to get out a turn one blood moon with a sol land. I understand you can power out a turn 1 copter a little easier if you need to. But other than that is it worth it?
    This is where I'm at. I'm at 15 or 20 leagues with some variation on the 4 Cannonist list. Lotus Petal suuuccckkkksss.

I want it to be... literally anything else almost all the time I draw it. It's sometimes nice to be able to Petal -> Sol Land -> Painter and at least bluff the blast. It's sometimes nice to have the white source. Most of the time, however, it feels like I'm setting myself up to be two-for-one-d with marginal payoff. The addition of Chopper to this deck encourages to you to play long, grindy games. Lotus petal does the opposite.

All of that being said, with 7-8 white cards main, the deck really needs a non-wasteable white source. I don't know if the solution is to make Opal work or to add a Plains. Both require re-jiggering of the mana base. Opal is probably where I'm going next.

Also, I'm off the 4+ Moon plan. Resolving a T1 blood moon and just being down two cards for nothing is the pits. It's not remotely the free win it used to be. I think one is still a good hedge, and maybe another in the board (Lands), but I'm just not interested in being down a card for the effect in most games.

Keep in mind that Lotus Petal has built-in synergy with Welder-centric lists. Sometimes, you need an artifact in the graveyard early to protect Painter.

Feb 2008
    NYC

The 4 petals remain an absolute must in the deck. As Hollywood mentioned, they serve as more than just mana with the current configuration. Access to white mana and getting to the magic numbers of 3 and 5 in mana is also why they are critical to the functioning of the deck. The ability to increase your chances of first turn Copter basically replaces the first turn moon lines in many places, except it is fair easier to resolve.

With respect to Copter, it was not adopted for build up to long grindy games. While I will admit its loot effect and ability to be a reasonable attacker does allow a slower grind out the life total game, that is more a side effect or secondary consequence. The Copter was added as a way to get increased card selection in the early phases of the game. Often times you are looking at 2-3 loot effects for optimal value. The reason the card is so strong and works for us is that it allows us to but reasonable pressure on our opponent's life total while we do everything else we want. We are still a combo deck and the key will always be develop to board, resolve the combo and win through the small window of opportunity. Copter allows this through increased card selection, and ability to turn our tutors and utility creatures into actual threats and attacking a resource that we normally could never reliable attack. It is from this that we added another must answer threat to the deck all while fitting in the previous game plan.

With respect to basic plains, no you never want one in the list. You are and will always be a base red deck. With the number of sol lands in the deck, it adds to much inconsistency to the deck to have another non red producing land.

While I can not speak to the 3 color lists, I would think the best approach there would be probably just moving past the Blood Moon and embracing the dual land heavy mana base. This way you have color stability in the manabase at the risk of opening yourself to hate. The reason this may be acceptable is that Ancient Tomb is still your best land in a vacuum, and will probably still draw the first Wasteland.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    The 4 petals remain an absolute must in the deck. As Hollywood mentioned, they serve as more than just mana with the current configuration. Access to white mana and getting to the magic numbers of 3 and 5 in mana is also why they are critical to the functioning of the deck. The ability to increase your chances of first turn Copter basically replaces the first turn moon lines in many places, except it is fair easier to resolve.

With respect to Copter, it was not adopted for build up to long grindy games. While I will admit its loot effect and ability to be a reasonable attacker does allow a slower grind out the life total game, that is more a side effect or secondary consequence. The Copter was added as a way to get increased card selection in the early phases of the game. Often times you are looking at 2-3 loot effects for optimal value. The reason the card is so strong and works for us is that it allows us to but reasonable pressure on our opponent's life total while we do everything else we want. We are still a combo deck and the key will always be develop to board, resolve the combo and win through the small window of opportunity. Copter allows this through increased card selection, and ability to turn our tutors and utility creatures into actual threats and attacking a resource that we normally could never reliable attack. It is from this that we added another must answer threat to the deck all while fitting in the previous game plan.

With respect to basic plains, no you never want one in the list. You are and will always be a base red deck. With the number of sol lands in the deck, it adds to much inconsistency to the deck to have another non red producing land.

While I can not speak to the 3 color lists, I would think the best approach there would be probably just moving past the Blood Moon and embracing the dual land heavy mana base. This way you have color stability in the manabase at the risk of opening yourself to hate. The reason this may be acceptable is that Ancient Tomb is still your best land in a vacuum, and will probably still draw the first Wasteland.

Seth
    Let me first preface this by saying that I am still on the 4 x blood moon plan (although considering moving 3 of them to the SB), so for me petals definitely feel necessary. I am also playing 2 x mox opal in my list so every so often I get to 3 mana on turn 1 with furnace + opal + petal. Not to mention I am also still on 3 color. Point being I am not considering cutting my petals any time soon. Having said that, I can assume that pretty much anyone who is posting on this forum with any regularity has gotten their fair share of painter games in and have become familiar with the play patterns of the deck. And I will say that I have probably lost more games to mana screw than to any other issue.

The problem is that although the fast mana speeds us up a turn, it is for just one turn and because we are just playing 19 lands we are then hoping to God that we draw lands in the next few turns to catch up. Historically, a turn 1 blood moon was either good enough to just completely hose your opponent or at least good enough to buy multiple turns for us to find our lands, so the risk was worth it. However, if you aren't playing blood moon then you are speeding up for 1 turn and essentially wastelanding yourself in order to drop a smuggler's copter on turn one. A vast majority of the time you are holding that petal for the white spell in your hand and wish it was just a fetch land so that you could use it more than once. I don't know that that is worth it. Those 5 quick mana could just as easily be more fetch lands and then you aren't going to have that issue. With that switch, one plains would probably be reasonable to consider. You could also make a split between more lands and some number or petals or a couple opals or some other fixer. And yes, I also agree that the main purpose of the smuggler's copter is to filter through your deck and increase card selection. But copter is doing that at one card per turn, so I would have to agree with Hisa that copter is set up to help over the course of several turns, and in legacy, anything past turn 5 is probably considered a "grindy" game. Also, I get the petals do serve some other functions such as welder fodder, etc. Those interactions aren't nothing. But they don't fix the issue I'm talking about.

Honestly, I just put it out there as something to think about. I haven't tested it but wrote it out of frustration after losing yet another game to mana screw. I certainly can't agree with sentiments such as "absolute" or "never". The landscape is always changing in this game, and as Jack stated in his last post, "keep testing random shit."

On that note, I finally got my Daretti list to a point where I am running it through my first league (I'm really stingy with tickets which is why I'm always in the practice room). 3-0 so far. I'll post similar to what SDBobPlisken has been doing when I'm done, as I just can't find time to play through the entire league at once and am kind of getting through it piece-meal style. Daretti has honestly been a house so far. Blood moon has been very good in some games but admittedly is not so great in others. As I said, I could see going to 1 in the main. This issue for me is that it is so good against certain decks that I really want to be at 4 in those match-ups. For example, a turn 1-2 blood moon against grixis control is really good still. I know others don't feel that way as they are playing more basics these days. But if they don't have a chance to fetch those basics, it can really be a winning strategy against that deck. And by far the biggest reason I would consider not playing this deck at eternal weekend is because of the grixis control match-up. And that deck is EVERYWHERE.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Why is Ethersworn Canonist the preferred two drop of choice?

Or why is it a 4-off? Why not play a toolbox with these creatures, which all seem quite reasonable as well:

Stoneforge Mystic
    Spirit of the Labyrinth
    Remorseful Cleric
    Aegis of the Gods
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Harsh Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Let me first preface this by saying that I am still on the 4 x blood moon plan (although considering moving 3 of them to the SB), so for me petals definitely feel necessary. I am also playing 2 x mox opal in my list so every so often I get to 3 mana on turn 1 with furnace + opal + petal. Not to mention I am also still on 3 color. Point being I am not considering cutting my petals any time soon. Having said that, I can assume that pretty much anyone who is posting on this forum with any regularity has gotten their fair share of painter games in and have become familiar with the play patterns of the deck. And I will say that I have probably lost more games to mana screw than to any other issue.

The problem is that although the fast mana speeds us up a turn, it is for just one turn and because we are just playing 19 lands we are then hoping to God that we draw lands in the next few turns to catch up. Historically, a turn 1 blood moon was either good enough to just completely hose your opponent or at least good enough to buy multiple turns for us to find our lands, so the risk was worth it. However, if you aren't playing blood moon then you are speeding up for 1 turn and essentially wastelanding yourself in order to drop a smuggler's copter on turn one. A vast majority of the time you are holding that petal for the white spell in your hand and wish it was just a fetch land so that you could use it more than once. I don't know that that is worth it. Those 5 quick mana could just as easily be more fetch lands and then you aren't going to have that issue. With that switch, one plains would probably be reasonable to consider. You could also make a split between more lands and some number or petals or a couple opals or some other fixer. And yes, I also agree that the main purpose of the smuggler's copter is to filter through your deck and increase card selection. But copter is doing that at one card per turn, so I would have to agree with Hisa that copter is set up to help over the course of several turns, and in legacy, anything past turn 5 is probably considered a "grindy" game. Also, I get the petals do serve some other functions such as welder fodder, etc. Those interactions aren't nothing. But they don't fix the issue I'm talking about.

Honestly, I just put it out there as something to think about. I haven't tested it but wrote it out of frustration after losing yet another game to mana screw. I certainly can't agree with sentiments such as "absolute" or "never". The landscape is always changing in this game, and as Jack stated in his last post, "keep testing random shit."

On that note, I finally got my Daretti list to a point where I am running it through my first league (I'm really stingy with tickets which is why I'm always in the practice room). 3-0 so far. I'll post similar to what SDBobPlisken has been doing when I'm done, as I just can't find time to play through the entire league at once and am kind of getting through it piece-meal style. Daretti has honestly been a house so far. Blood moon has been very good in some games but admittedly is not so great in others. As I said, I could see going to 1 in the main. This issue for me is that it is so good against certain decks that I really want to be at 4 in those match-ups. For example, a turn 1-2 blood moon against grixis control is really good still. I know others don't feel that way as they are playing more basics these days. But if they don't have a chance to fetch those basics, it can really be a winning strategy against that deck. And by far the biggest reason I would consider not playing this deck at eternal weekend is because of the grixis control match-up. And that deck is EVERYWHERE.
    Looking forward to seeing your list in action. I think as Jack said if you’re going to play a basic plains it needs to be your 20th land. Opals sound good but it just seems like they can be difficult to turn on and if you are playing multiple artifact lands you are exposed to wasteland and back to basics more. Im really finding the meta to be unfavorable right now towards the deck. I’ve been having a pretty hard time against UW miracles and Grixis Control. Then it also seems like when I run into a deck vulnerable to blood moon like lands or RUG Delver I’m not favored also because of the low moon count.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post

Or why is it a 4-off? Why not play a toolbox with these creatures, which all seem quite reasonable as well:

Stoneforge Mystic
    Spirit of the Labyrinth
    Remorseful Cleric
    Aegis of the Gods
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Harsh Mentor
    All of these are playable, but none of them is as proactive, disruptive, and fits in with the deck as well as Canonist. Canonist makes blasts unanswerable, severely slows down the opponent by stopping them from chaining cantrips into anything, and beats reasonably well. And just for gravy it can be welded.

SFM requires a lot of slots
    SoL is fragile and does almost what canonist does in hosing cantrips
    Cleric is very niche, we are not super weak to graveyard decks anyway, and can have hate out the board
    Aegis again very narrow, can only see this in the storm or burn matchups, where again canonist is good
    Revoker I like more than the rest, but also sort of narrow, probably a 1-2x or a couple in the board
    Mentor I just think is bad tbh, punishing via damage in a deck that doesn't put a ton of pressure on life totals is just a weak plan
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post

Seth
    I guess I conceptualize the deck differently than you do. Painter, to me, has always been a combo deck in the vein of Splinter Twin. That is, a deck with a two card (i.e. easy to assemble) combo as its plan 1A and something more traditional as it's 1B. By making your opponent overextend or bring it narrow sideboard cards to combat 1A your 1B improves. In the UR version the 1B is planeswalker control. In classic Imperial (and, I think, Shortcake) it has always been mediocre beats, welder tricks, and prison. Copter helps both 1A and 1B.

Painter is not ANT and it is not SnT. If I wanted to play a combo deck that just tries to power through all of my opponents answers I would play one of those. This deck tries to set up a situation where your opponent Surgicals your grindstone and you attack for three in the air and get virtual card advantage. Many many of the games I play are won the way Garfield intended.

I mostly agree with you about the plains. I was just talking about options for re-jiggering the mana base.

It literally never occurred to me to petal out a T1 Chopper. Don't get me wrong, it is a high impact card, just not in the way Blood Moon or Chalice is. I have mostly used them as protection for a t1/2 Painter and quicker activation of grindstone.

Anyway, you should play the deck in the way that makes you comfortable and successful. The way I play the deck reflects the way I think about it and what I think the most important cards in it are.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa View Post
    I don't know if the solution is to make Opal work or to add a Plains. Both require re-jiggering of the mana base. Opal is probably where I'm going next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Keep in mind that Lotus Petal has built-in synergy with Welder-centric lists. Sometimes, you need an artifact in the graveyard early to protect Painter.
    I've once played Mox Opal + Mishra's Bauble + Goblin Welder in another (non-Painter) deck and was quite happy with it.
    I've also looked for a way to enable Welder early and Bauble did the job quite well, while also helping Opal.
    Just some thoughts.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I also had the feeling that 19 lands may not be enough for the deck, especially without top. Before you could keep one landers with top and have a reasonable chance of finding your second land. Now it's more difficult.

So in fact i cut one of the petals for the dreaded basic plains as 20th land. I don't know if it's right or wrong, i just feel that with 19 lands i get manascrewed too often and wasteland becomes a nightmare.

@drude1 i think you have some very valid points. I am actually loving the 1 - 1 blood moon in the board because my meta is super basic heavy right now. I feel the simian spirit guide and the lotus petals really suck in the list. I almost want to cut a few of them and up the lavaman or welder count so i can go 1 drop into copter.

I'm currently playing 2 canonist 2 revoker split and liking it a lot. Cratermaker and walking ballistic have done infinite work for me in the last couple of weeks and seem super excellent in the list.
    I feel the list could cut a couple of the enlightened tutors and just move up in the way of creatures, i seem to be winning a good amount of my games through simple aggro.

Also why is no one playing pia and kiran nalaar anymore? I am constantly fetching for this card. It's a 3 for 1 most of the time and an absolute house at going wide.

I am interested in the mono red list that was mentioned with red deretti. Sound interesting, there are so many great red cards available right now like rabble master that we could be playing. Also bomat courier in a mono red list sounds like a interesting curve of value creatures now that deathrite is gone from the format.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post

Cast Canonist early, opponent ignores it. Cast Painter's Servant, opponent allows it because now they can pitch their spare lands (or discard spells, which are dead thanks to Welder) to their FoWs. Cast Grindstone, opponent responds with countermagic or removal on Painter's Servant, you Pyroblast in response and (thanks to Canonist) neither of you can play any more non-artifact spells this turn so you activate your Grindstone without harassment.

It feels SO GOOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

So I finally finished that first league. Ended up going 4-1. Here's a playback for all to peruse. I sped through the playback a little...sorry. Also, I have dogs, one of which is snoring in the background through much of the video...again, sorry.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/329449851##

Let me know what you think.

Thread Information