Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bizarro Stormy (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Griselbrand)

Re: Bizarro Stormy (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Griselbrand)

Hello Fellow Stormys!

I played in a team constructed event yesterday, and although my team went 1-3 (with a first round bye), I went 4-0 (3-0 in actual matches) with Grixis Bizarro Stormy!

Round 1 - Bye

Round 2 - Win (2-1) vs Burn - Got on video at Geek Fortress twitch stream. link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/265848395?t=01h35m09s (starts at game 2 - you can watch a terrible game 1 if you want starts at ~1:27:00)

Game 1 - Burn on the play. My deck does nothing. His kills me turn 3 with a turn 1 swiftspear into turn 2 eidolon, into some burn spells, and fireblast. Pretty good burn hand. I played 2 ponders and did some fetching...

Game 2 - Turn 1 kill. If you watch the video, I didn't realize but I entombed to get the magus train running, but it was in my hand. I play two and typically board one out. Forgot about that. Worked out for a tendrils with 10 storm.

Game 3 - Burn plays a cage on turn 1. I end up acquisitioning for a cabal ritual (1 main that I sided out) to set up a hard cast Griselbrand next turn. It works and I take the match.

Round 3 - Win (2-0) UW Miracles/Mentor

Game 1 - Opponent plays scalding tarn and passes. I keep an LED, Magus, Petal, Thoughtseize, Dark Ritual, Corpse Dance, Fetchland. I decide to see how this deck can do. I fetch, cast petal, LED, then dark ritual. Opponent thinks for a moment and ritual resolves. I cast Thoughtseize and opponent scoops in response. Doesn't want to reveal what he is on. I put him on something with counterspells based on the tarn haha.

Game 2 - It takes a while but I keep jamming shallow graves during his end step. I turn 1 a silent gravestone. The turn I win, I had a couple lands in play, 2 dark rituals, acquisition, shallow grave. I cast dark ritual and shallow grave (Griselbrand in the yard). It gets countered. I then play second dark ritual and acquisition. They resolve and I fetch a shallow grave from there and cast with remaining 2 mana. Since he was on UW, I still had enough for 2 Griselbrand activations (3 after attack) and I tendrils for lethal. He had a surgical in hand and gravestone is just great.

Round 4 - Win (2-0) vs Lands

Game 1 - Its a slow go, but I combo off turn 4. Opponent tries to crop rotate into bog, but I know he has it in hand from prior life from the loams. He get's a Karakas instead, but that doesn't matter. He didn't even use it, because I never attacked.

Game 2 - Turn 1 sphere of resistance. I just move to game three and hope for a turn 1 or 2 kill.

Game 3 - I turn 1 cabal therapy naming sphere and I get one. He has nothing but do nothing lands in hand (including bog again). Turn 2 he plays a land and passes. Turn 3, I storm off with dark ritual, entomb, shallow grave and all the normal shenanigans. First magus activation is for 10 and the second for 13. He scoops when he seems the second exile pile.

All in all, I am loving the deck. I used to play a lot of Tin Fins and UBg Reanimator and this is so much more fun! Less prone to losing to DRS activations and the targeted graveyard hate. And for other matchups, it is just so much faster.

Deck List (Fetch lands are a bit off and no green since my team and I thought we were playing team unified as opposed to team trios - hence marshflats over bloodstain mire and no abrupt decay)

//Artifact (8)
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

//Creature (6)
    4x Griselbrand
    2x Magus of the Mind

//Instant (20)
    4x Brainstorm
    1x Cabal Ritual
    3x Corpse Dance
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Entomb
    4x Shallow Grave

//Sorcery (12)
    1x Cabal Therapy
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Mastermind's Acquisition
    1x Past in Flames
    3x Ponder
    3x Thoughtseize

//Land (14)
    1x Badlands
    1x Island
    2x Marsh Flats
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Scalding Tarn
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Volcanic Island

//Sideboard (15)
    2x Chain of Vapor
    1x Collective Brutality
    1x Dread of Night
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Massacre
    1x Pithing Needle
    3x Silent Gravestone
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Tendrils of Agony

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by jaspercasidino View Post
    Hello Fellow Stormys!

I played in a team constructed event yesterday, and although my team went 1-3 (with a first round bye), I went 4-0 (3-0 in actual matches) with Grixis Bizarro Stormy!

All in all, I am loving the deck. I used to play a lot of Tin Fins and UBg Reanimator and this is so much more fun! Less prone to losing to DRS activations and the targeted graveyard hate. And for other matchups, it is just so much faster.
    Nice showing! Glad to hear you are enjoying the deck!

Quote Originally Posted by jaspercasidino View Post
    Deck List (Fetch lands are a bit off and no green since my team and I thought we were playing team unified as opposed to team trios - hence marshflats over bloodstain mire and no abrupt decay)

//Artifact (8)
    4x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal

//Creature (6)
    4x Griselbrand
    2x Magus of the Mind

//Instant (20)
    4x Brainstorm
    1x Cabal Ritual
    3x Corpse Dance
    4x Dark Ritual
    4x Entomb
    4x Shallow Grave

//Sorcery (12)
    1x Cabal Therapy
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Mastermind's Acquisition
    1x Past in Flames
    3x Ponder
    3x Thoughtseize

//Land (14)
    1x Badlands
    1x Island
    2x Marsh Flats
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Scalding Tarn
    1x Swamp
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Volcanic Island

//Sideboard (15)
    2x Chain of Vapor
    1x Collective Brutality
    1x Dread of Night
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Massacre
    1x Pithing Needle
    3x Silent Gravestone
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Tendrils of Agony
    My one comment about your list would be that 2 Magus is definitely overkill, as flipping into one does nothing (no haste to activate), and you're generally better off going for Griselbrand before a Magus.

List looks a lot like the ones we were playing before we shaved a bunch of slots for Gitaxian Probe. Was it team unified Legacy? Or Unified Constructed?
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

Jan 2017
    TN

Just getting this down while I have the time, before I add the matches to the spreadsheet.

I played in the Alabama Legacy League IQ on Saturday. I believe there was approximately 30 players.

I went a mediocre 3-2.

Round 1: Dredge 1:2

Game 1: I start going off turn 1 on the play, go to CoBru my opponent for free from Magus and he scoops to hide info.
    Out: 2 Probe, 1 CoBru, 1 Therapy. In: 2 Silent Gravestone, 2 Chain of Vapor (figured I'd bring in general cards in the blind)
    Game 2: Opponent has the nuts, dredges half his deck and Therapies me 3 times on turn 1, making 12 zombies. GG.
    Out: 2 Chain of Vapor. In: 1 Echoing Truth, 1 Therapy.
    Game 3: My hand is a little slow, but should be good to go on turn 2. Opponent makes an Iona on black, turn 1.

0-1

Round 2: D&T 0:2

Game 1: I attempt to go off with Magus (in my hand) turn 1 and fizzle, flipping 5 lands. Opp plays Thalia and I can't break out of.
    In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Massacre, 2 Chain of Vapor. Out: 1 Scalding Tarn, 3 Therapy, 2 Probe.
    Game 2: I Thoughtseize turn 1, taking a Canonist. Opponent Wastelands me. I brick on lands and my Opp plays a RiP (my Magus is in the yard, from discarding to hand size). She says "pass the turn" and as I'm reaching to draw from my deck, she moves her cards into exile. We argue about how she missed her trigger and my GY is still there, call a judge, he says the trigger is implied and away goes my Magus I end up Chaining the RiP, getting a Griselbee into play, swinging for 7, drawing 7 in response to a swords (all I could draw due to life total) and it was all garbage. GG.

0-2

Round 3: Aggro Loam 2:1

Game 1: I Thoughtseize turn 1 and take a Teeg. Opponent rips a Chalice off the top and plays it for 1 turn 1. I stare at a hand full of 1 drops until I die to Knight (don't worry, I checked him more than once on his Chalice).
    In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Echoing Truth. Out: 4 Probe
    Game 2: I Ponder, play Petal and pass turn 1. Opp plays a turn 1 Chalice on 1. I Entomb in response, he passes. Land, go. Opp plays Thalia. I make my third land drop, fetch, play Petal for 1, crack and play Cabal Ritual for 3, making 5 with threshold. Use 3 to Shallow Grave G-daddy, use the other 2 black to play 2 LEDs from my hand. Swing for 7. Crack LEDs for 3B3U, draw 7, Echoing Truth Thalia, then proceed to go off with Magus to kill my Opp, leaving the Chalice on the table.
    Game 3: Opponent and I both mull to 5. He plays a Savannah and passes. I play Swamp, Dark Rit, Entomb, Shallow Grave, LED, hit for 7, crack for BBB, draw 21 and kill my opp.

1-2

Round 4: Miracles 2:1

Game 1: Turn 3 I get a Griselbrand into play, Opp Unexpectedly Absent's it in combat, draw 14 in response and end up getting there.
    Out: Island, 2 CoBru, 4 Probe, 1 Griselbrand. In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Carpet of Flowers, 2 Silent Gravestone, 1 Ground Seal.
    Game 2: Game goes very long, to the point where my GY is larger than my library. Opponent eventually gets there with Snapcaster beats and countermagic, after I had already Decayed on Snap and one Clique.
    Game 3: I keep a nasty 7 without protection and decide to YOLO it. I play USea into Dark Rit, Entomb, Shallow Grave Griselbrand and dead my opp on turn 1. I was honestly amazed he had no Force.

2-2

Round 5: Combo Elves 2:0

Game 1: Opp wins the roll, casts Land Grant for a Bayou, makes a bunch of mana and plays a board full of Elves on turn 1. He passes and I kill him on turn 1, exiling my entire library with Magus, then casting PiF to cast the Acquisition I had to dump in the yard due to an LED crack.
    Out: Island, 2 CoBru, 2 Probe. In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Silent Gravestone.
    Game 2: Opp leads with a turn 1 Relic of Progenitus. I play land and cantrip. A few turns go by, I'm at 5 from dinky elf beats, and am dead on board. Rip a decay off the top. Blow the Relic. Go off with Griselbrand into Magus FTW.

3-2

Thoughts: The deck is strong. Extremely so. Mulliganing is extremely difficult with this deck. Cantrip hands can be deceiving and too slow to get anywhere in time. I had a blast though. The deck draws quite a crowd when people hear "Shallow Grave, Magus of the Mind enters the battlefield." For now, I'll keep on Bizarro-ing. Haven't had the urge to go back to DDFT quite yet.

List:

Land (14)
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea

Artifact (7)
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

Creature (4)
    3 Griselbrand
    1 Magus of the Mind

Sorcery (15)
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Mastermind's Acquisition
    1 Past in Flames
    3 Ponder
    1 Thoughtseize

Instant (20)
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Ritual
    2 Corpse Dance
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Shallow Grave

Sideboard
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Massacre
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Tropical Island
    Last edited by 8bit9mm; 05-29-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Is there a world that we would run a 1-of of Mastermind and Burning Wish to try to dodge specific color hate, or does this dilute the deck too much?

Awesome to hear about the results, 3-2 for a deck that is still being tinkered with is solid.

Jan 2017
    TN

Quote Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
    Is there a world that we would run a 1-of of Mastermind and Burning Wish to try to dodge specific color hate, or does this dilute the deck too much?

Awesome to hear about the results, 3-2 for a deck that is still being tinkered with is solid.
    The thing is, the Iona wasn't the complete problem. I had found my Echoing Truth the following turn.

The issue was, if I Echoing Truth the Iona, I can't proceed due to choked mana and am still dead on board to his zombies and Ichorids.
    If I Echoing Truth the zombies, I'm still dead to the Iona and Ichorids.
    It was a lose-lose situation. Sometimes your opponent just gets the nutter-butters and rolls you. It happens.

Anyways, saying all that, I don't actually think it's worth it to hedge against "color" hate (i.e. Iona).

Edit: Also, thanks for the kind words. I think the deck is getting closer and closer to a polished build.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Agreed, sometimes you just get rolled by your opponents, and there's nothing you can do.

Some days you're the steamroller, some days you're the poor sap in front of it.

As far as running 1 BW +1 MA, I think that it's possible, especially in more Grixis centered builds, but it might be better to just go all in on Burning Wish at that point.

At least one benefit of running such a build is that you can fire off one to find a utility spell or some other missing piece, and still have the other to pull out Tendrils when it's time to kill. Personally, I like the 2 tutor set-up, as early builds (prior to this thread being created) we toyed around with 2 MA, as it felt really good to have 2 "wild cards" to flip with Magus, as well as have the ability to fire off one MA for a random spell without having to worry about losing our one Wish effect. We ended up trying out DP+Tendrils for a bit, and that's when the thread started, before people starting toying with 1 MA builds.

There's definitely a precedent for playing with 2 tutor effects, and it's not bad, but it ended up getting cut when we wanted to add Gitaxian Probe to the deck AND stay at 60 cards.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    Agreed, sometimes you just get rolled by your opponents, and there's nothing you can do.

Some days you're the steamroller, some days you're the poor sap in front of it.

As far as running 1 BW +1 MA, I think that it's possible, especially in more Grixis centered builds, but it might be better to just go all in on Burning Wish at that point.
    That seems like a weird config to me. Almost seems like if you're playing BW, it should be 3-4, and maybe not even run Past in Flames maindeck. Use your wishes for redundancy in that case, as well as utility. BW plays pretty poorly with PIF to begin with. Acquisition, on the other hand, is great with PIF. Having a split seems to want to pull you in a couple different directions. Seems like we might want to think about it like TES vs. ANT - are we a Burning Wish deck, or a Past in Flames deck? Good arguments for both.
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

...BW plays pretty poorly with PIF...
    Can confirm. I do agree it's one or the other. A la TES v ANT.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Seems like we might want to think about it like TES vs. ANT - are we a Burning Wish deck, or a Past in Flames deck? Good arguments for both.
    I mean, we almost have to be a Past in Flames deck, Entomb+PiF is such a powerful combination.

BW is pretty strong, but if we're already playing Entomb, it makes a lot of sense to lean into it. Granted, being almost all in on GY interaction is risky, but Entomb+PiF is much more powerful than BW- and raw power is what we're all about.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

Jan 2013
    MA, USA

I mean, we almost have to be a Past in Flames deck, Entomb+PiF is such a powerful combination.

BW is pretty strong, but if we're already playing Entomb, it makes a lot of sense to lean into it. Granted, being almost all in on GY interaction is risky, but Entomb+PiF is much more powerful than BW- and raw power is what we're all about.
    PiF + Cabal Ritual also seem tied together for power. Right now the all in graveyard is how I currently view my builds of Bizarro vs BW TinFins.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

that's not to say that you shouldn't run a PIF maindeck if you're running 3-4 Burning Wishes, just that the power level of PIF goes down. Maybe it's to the point where it's not worth it, but you're right that entombing for it is just so attractive. PIF seems to be more powerful in a raw sense, but less flexible. And maybe that's really what's at issue here - looking for flexibility in our answers for opposing sideboard hate.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

that's not to say that you shouldn't run a PIF maindeck if you're running 3-4 Burning Wishes, just that the power level of PIF goes down. Maybe it's to the point where it's not worth it, but you're right that entombing for it is just so attractive. PIF seems to be more powerful in a raw sense, but less flexible. And maybe that's really what's at issue here - looking for flexibility in our answers for opposing sideboard hate.
    Flexibility is a bit rough in a deck with so few slots to swap in and out. The good news is, is that most decks are fairly one dimensional in their sideboard hate: almost all in on targeting the GY or putting down lock pieces. Some of these decks back it up with countermagic, or run a 1-of of another bit of hate (think 1 Cage in Delver decks), but for the most part, if you sit down vs Grixis you know their main avenue of hate is DRS+Surgical with countermagic back up or taxing bears+rest in peace for D&T and so on. If you know what's coming, it's easy to select 2-3 cards in the sb to keep on hand to dance around that stuff: Silent Gravestone, Serenity, Massacre, Chain of Vapor.

Sure, you're going to lose to that guy at your store that really hates combo decks, so he has 9 cards in his Burn sideboard of Cage+Faerie Macabre+Ensnaring Bridge+Leyline of the Void+Mindbreak Trap+Surgical, but unless you really hate losing to that guy, it's not worth worrying about being able to answer every possible thing that can get thrown at us.

I wonder what the bare minimum you need for Wish targets to get enough value out of BW? Is it viable to get a wishboard alongside the anti-hate vectors listed above?

1 Tendrils
    1 Hull Breach (Wishable answer to Chalice+Leyline?)
    1 By Force (Wishable answer to multiple artifacts)
    1 Cabal Therapy (1 discard spell to open up lines//find protection to go off)
    1 Exhume/Reanimate (Wishable reanimation to open up a play)
    2 Massacre (one for Wishing, one to board in)
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Chain of Vapor (or 1 Chain+1 Echoing Truth or 1 Chain+1 Abrupt Decay)
    2 Carpet of Flowers (Since we're in green for Hull Breach, might as well run this)
    1 Abrupt Decay

It could be we want lots of Empty the Warren instead, but I think that it takes up just a bit too much room for not enough impact. But I'm imagining with this SB, you pick your vector of anti-hate, and have a few wishable options to hit the odd artifact/enchantment out of decks like Delver or D&T. It also leaves you less dead to game 1 lock pieces, as you can wish for something to break Chalice or Thorn.

Example boarding configs:

Vs Grixis: + Carpet+ Gravestone -2 ponder -1 Griselbrand -1 LED -1 Probe. If they draw their 1-of Cage, we can wish up Hull Breach or By Force to deal with it.

Vs D&T: +1 Massacre +2 Chain -3 Ponder. We have 4 copies of Massacre to draw into (3 Wish+1 Massacre), can Wish for Hull Breach to destroy RiP if we don't draw Chain.

Vs Moon Stompy: + Abrupt Decay + Chain, - Ponder or Discard pending Play or Draw.

Should alleviate some of the issues we have where we want to overboard because we want to be prepared for every angle they come at us with, because now we can Wish for anti hate to deal with the odd 1 & 2 ofs decks like to run.

PiF is still strong, even with BW, as sometimes you end up pitching BW to CoBru, or it gets countered or discarded. The card ends up in the GY sometimes.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I wonder what the bare minimum you need for Wish targets to get enough value out of BW? Is it viable to get a wishboard alongside the anti-hate vectors listed above?

1 Tendrils
    1 Hull Breach (Wishable answer to Chalice+Leyline?)
    1 By Force (Wishable answer to multiple artifacts)
    1 Cabal Therapy (1 discard spell to open up lines//find protection to go off)
    1 Exhume/Reanimate (Wishable reanimation to open up a play)
    2 Massacre (one for Wishing, one to board in)
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Chain of Vapor (or 1 Chain+1 Echoing Truth or 1 Chain+1 Abrupt Decay)
    2 Carpet of Flowers (Since we're in green for Hull Breach, might as well run this)
    1 Abrupt Decay
    The green is looking a little weird to me here. I like where you're going with Hull Breach - I wonder how decent your mana is going to be. Since you're running Burning Wish, you already likely want more red sources maindeck - green cards adds a lot more pressure on your duals. I have been thinking a straight grixis list, but that does leave you weaker to enchantments. Have to rely on bounce, in that case. That said, at least in the case of Leylines (both of the relevant ones), Empty the Warrens is usually pretty good...

It could be we want lots of Empty the Warren instead, but I think that it takes up just a bit too much room for not enough impact. But I'm imagining with this SB, you pick your vector of anti-hate, and have a few wishable options to hit the odd artifact/enchantment out of decks like Delver or D&T. It also leaves you less dead to game 1 lock pieces, as you can wish for something to break Chalice or Thorn.
    Overloading on Empties (and running 3 in the board, to board in 2 of them) actually works just fine with what you posted - the extra 2 Empties take the place of Carpet of Flowers - those are both really cards for the Delver matchups anyway, with each having some different advantages against some different decks.

Should alleviate some of the issues we have where we want to overboard because we want to be prepared for every angle they come at us with, because now we can Wish for anti hate to deal with the odd 1 & 2 ofs decks like to run.
    Right - which is why you and I really started talking about it in the first place. It seems almost too difficult to have enough room to board everything in. Just needs testing to find a good config, and if that flexibility is worth warping the deck for.

PiF is still strong, even with BW, as sometimes you end up pitching BW to CoBru, or it gets countered or discarded. The card ends up in the GY sometimes.
    Yes, it is. I didn't mean it was bad - it's power level just goes down a bit.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

The green is looking a little weird to me here. I like where you're going with Hull Breach - I wonder how decent your mana is going to be. Since you're running Burning Wish, you already likely want more red sources maindeck - green cards adds a lot more pressure on your duals. I have been thinking a straight grixis list, but that does leave you weaker to enchantments. Have to rely on bounce, in that case. That said, at least in the case of Leylines (both of the relevant ones), Empty the Warrens is usually pretty good...
    I was thinking that you could adapt your 5c manabase to make it work, swapping the Bayou for a Badlands, then drop the Scrubland in the SB for Bayou. I think that you need to be able to answer random enchantments beyond bouncing them, and Breach dealing with 2 targets is almost too good to pass up, especially since the decks running Leyline of the Void are also gunning for Chalice or 3sphere to lock you out.

Alternatively, you could also do a similar splash running White instead of Green, and have things like Revoke Existence to wish for and Serenity, but I feel like Green is going to be a smidge better if you're doing 4c.

If going 4c is a bit much on the manabase, you could just drop the Breach for Void Snare and bring back the Empties for the Carpets+AD slots, and run 1 Chain+1 Echoing Truth or something.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

You can also try stealing DDFT's Consign/Oblivion for a bounce wish target that gets around chalice on 1

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Another 4-0 at the CK weekly yesterday (27-7 in matches overall). This week, back to 1 MA main, 2 Flusters in the side, no cute stuff. I didn't like how Surgical was lining up against Storm. Beat: some port of modern Amulet Bloom, Moon Stompy, ANT, UBg Stifle Death's Shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit9mm View Post
    Just getting this down while I have the time, before I add the matches to the spreadsheet.
    Thanks for posting, good to contribute matchups and boarding. I'm definitely approaching boarding very differently from you, might be good to hear what people think. Overall I think it's crazy to board out Probe, I think it's one of the best cards in the deck. A few years ago the TES thread had a discussion about boarding out Probe vs. Ponder and everyone pretty much came to the same conclusion - Probe is nuts. It helps build threshold, go off faster by effectively reducing deck size, build storm, strengthen PiF, and most importantly, inform how to play around and through answers.

I'm not the final authority though, so I'll comment how I would board inline and we'll see how people approach it.

Round 1: Dredge 1:2
    Boarding blindOut: 2 Probe, 1 CoBru, 1 Therapy. In: 2 Silent Gravestone, 2 Chain of Vapor (figured I'd bring in general cards in the blind)
    Out: 2 Chain of Vapor. In: 1 Echoing Truth, 1 Therapy.
    In the blind is tricky, but in paper you can get some good clues from how people physical board. If they immediately jam a couple of cards in their deck, they're most likely to be Delver. If they put a stack of cards in, it's likely control or a prison deck. If they tentatively put in one or two cards, it's most likely combo. But if you can't get any clues, I think I would just present the starting 60. You can play through any of the commonly played hate by hardcasting Griselbrand, proper sequencing, or raw speed; and potentially dead cards hurt those plans.

Knowing the opponent is on Dredge, I like Fluster to buy time. You're dead by the time they can reanimate a creature, so Truth isn't worthwhile. Therapy is good on the play.
    -1 CoBru, -1 Ponder, -1 Island, +2 Fluster, +1 Trop (Trop is easier to fetch in my configuration)

Round 2: D&T 0:2
    In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Massacre, 2 Chain of Vapor. Out: 1 Scalding Tarn, 3 Therapy, 2 Probe.
    I don't see why you'd not want all the lands you can get against a mana disruption deck. Going up to 15 lands is very nice. I always keep a Therapy to Entomb for if I need to save a Griselbrand but can't fully combo.
    -2 Therapy, -2 Ponder, -1 LED, -1 Griselbrand, -1 Cabal Ritual, +1 Trop, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Hurkyl's, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Massacre

Round 3: Aggro Loam 2:1
    In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 1 Echoing Truth. Out: 4 Probe
    Same as D&T except -1 Massacre, +1 Therapy. They attack in basically the same ways except are scarier with faster hate pieces.

Round 4: Miracles 2:1
    Out: Island, 2 CoBru, 4 Probe, 1 Griselbrand. In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Carpet of Flowers, 2 Silent Gravestone, 1 Ground Seal.
    In this matchup I usually want to go less all-in and am more willing to make land drops and set up a big turn. Probe is an all-star to figure out what to play around. I'm torn on how many Gravestones to bring in.
    -1 CoBru, -1 Griselbrand, -2 LED, -1 Cabal Ritual, -2 Lotus Petal, +2 Carpet of Flowers, +1 Trop, +1 Silent Gravestone, +1 Ground Seal, +2 Abrupt Decay.

Round 5: Combo Elves 2:0
    Out: Island, 2 CoBru, 2 Probe. In: Tropical Island, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Silent Gravestone.
    -1 Island, -1 Ponder, -1 CoBru, +1 Trop, +2 Silent Gravestone; OTD also -2 Therapy, -1 CoBro, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Flusterstorm
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Consign//Oblivion isn't a bad idea for Wishable bounce. Makes it easier to Wish and hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Another 4-0 at the CK weekly yesterday (27-7 in matches overall). This week, back to 1 MA main, 2 Flusters in the side, no cute stuff. I didn't like how Surgical was lining up against Storm. Beat: some port of modern Amulet Bloom, Moon Stompy, ANT, UBg Stifle Death's Shadow.
    yeh buddy

I'll add my thoughts, but with a White splash.

Thanks for posting, good to contribute matchups and boarding. I'm definitely approaching boarding very differently from you, might be good to hear what people think. Overall I think it's crazy to board out Probe, I think it's one of the best cards in the deck. A few years ago the TES thread had a discussion about boarding out Probe vs. Ponder and everyone pretty much came to the same conclusion - Probe is nuts. It helps build threshold, go off faster by effectively reducing deck size, build storm, strengthen PiF, and most importantly, inform how to play around and through answers.
    I've always been a fan of boarding out Probe, since I tend to prefer the extra dig over the extra information, but I've been reconsidering this and taking out Ponder more often after reading around the TES website. I still shave a copy from time to time, especially vs burn where I want to limit my life loss.

In the blind is tricky, but in paper you can get some good clues from how people physical board. If they immediately jam a couple of cards in their deck, they're most likely to be Delver. If they put a stack of cards in, it's likely control or a prison deck. If they tentatively put in one or two cards, it's most likely combo. But if you can't get any clues, I think I would just present the starting 60. You can play through any of the commonly played hate by hardcasting Griselbrand, proper sequencing, or raw speed; and potentially dead cards hurt those plans.
    If I get to game 2 blind, I tend to bring in both Chain of Vapor and shave 1 GB and 1 Ponder. I figure I can answer Surgical+Countermagic with discard, and everything else with bounce. This is one benefit of playing in paper, you can watch your opponent board and make plans. Good tips.

Knowing the opponent is on Dredge, I like Fluster to buy time. You're dead by the time they can reanimate a creature, so Truth isn't worthwhile. Therapy is good on the play.
    -1 CoBru, -1 Ponder, -1 Island, +2 Fluster, +1 Trop (Trop is easier to fetch in my configuration)
    I tend to cut 2 Discard spells (Therapy or Seize), since I rarely want to aim discard at them, unless I'm taking Breakthrough or LED. I tend to bring Chain of Vapor, on the off chance they're bringing in Leyline of the Void. I've had Dredge opponents bring in Silent Gravestone recently (the Quad Laser variant), which is obviously fine for us.

In your board, with the Flusterstorms, I understand why you like adding it, as it can prevent them from stripping us with Therapy or eat a Looting or Breakthrough (or Dread Return if they're dumb and don't Therapy us first).

-2 Therapy +2 Chain of vapor

D&T: I don't see why you'd not want all the lands you can get against a mana disruption deck. Going up to 15 lands is very nice. I always keep a Therapy to Entomb for if I need to save a Griselbrand but can't fully combo.
    -2 Therapy, -2 Ponder, -1 LED, -1 Griselbrand, -1 Cabal Ritual, +1 Trop, +1 Chain of Vapor, +1 Echoing Truth, +1 Hurkyl's, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Massacre
    I bring in both Massacre and maybe both Chain of Vapor. They run 2 RiP at most, otherwise I wouldn't bother bringing in bounce. I tried Hurkyl's once, and they had Revoker+Canonist+Vial+Sword, so it was neat, but not the Flickerwisp and Mother of Runes. I'm more concerned with answering their creatures than getting their artifacts, even if it resets vial and slows their clock. I pretty much cut all my Ponder on the play, and board out 2 Therapy on the draw, as I'm probably going to need to play a longer game on the draw and will need to dig for answers.

+2 Massacre +2 Chain, -3 Ponder -1 Griselbrand (Play) -1 Ponder -1 GB -2 Therapy (Draw)

Loam: Same as D&T except -1 Massacre, +1 Therapy. They attack in basically the same ways except are scarier with faster hate pieces.
    I don't have much experience vs Aggro Loam, as it's not as popular near me. Seeing that they run Chalice+ Leyline, I'm going to rely on Serenity+Chain of Vapor, so +2 Serenity +2 Chain - Same logic vs D&T.

Miracles: In this matchup I usually want to go less all-in and am more willing to make land drops and set up a big turn. Probe is an all-star to figure out what to play around. I'm torn on how many Gravestones to bring in.
    -1 CoBru, -1 Griselbrand, -2 LED, -1 Cabal Ritual, -2 Lotus Petal, +2 Carpet of Flowers, +1 Trop, +1 Silent Gravestone, +1 Ground Seal, +2 Abrupt Decay.
    Agreed on making land drops, if you can get a window to do something early, I take it, but otherwise I'm buckling in for a longer game. Depending on what I see g1 will change how I board for g2. If I see Snapcaster main, they're going to do Flusterstorms, Surgicals, so I like bringing in Gravestone+Silence+Chain. If I don't see any Snapcaster Mage and the game was long, I'm going to assume they are on RiP as their hate, and will leave out the Gravestone. If I don't see Snap and it was a short game, I err on them running Surgical, so I bring in Gravestone. Silence comes in, as sometimes you catch them shields down depending on Surgical with no Force, and sometimes you can play the mind game (am I casting Silence because I have the combo and I'm going for it or am I casting it to bait a counter?).

If I'm assuming they're on Snap+Surgical:
    +3 Gravestone +3 Silence +1 Chain of Vapor (hedge vs random RiP, B2B, Blood Moon, Meddling Mage)
    -1 GB -2 LED -1 Cabal Ritual -1 Probe -1 CoBru -1 Petal

Assuming RiP:
    +3 Silence +2 Chain
    -1 GB -2 LED -1 Petal -1 Cabal Ritual

Combo Elves:-1 Island, -1 Ponder, -1 CoBru, +1 Trop, +2 Silent Gravestone; OTD also -2 Therapy, -1 CoBro, +2 Abrupt Decay, +1 Flusterstorm
    I assume they're going to rely on DRS and maybe GSZ for Ooze. Sometimes I've seen Surgical. It's also going to be a quick match, so I'm not a fan of keeping Ponder. I like keeping my CoBru, since it can kill a dude and sometimes snag a Therapy or Surgical or NO. Bounce is useful, as I've seen them run weird permanents, although it might just be the weirdos in my area.

+2 Chain +2 Gravestone -3 Ponder -1 GB
    @acclimation6 on twitter

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

I've always been a fan of boarding out Probe, since I tend to prefer the extra dig over the extra information, but I've been reconsidering this and taking out Ponder more often after reading around the TES website. I still shave a copy from time to time, especially vs burn where I want to limit my life loss.
    I think this really just depends on what you're playing against. When you want speed either to race a combo mirror or to get in under lock pieces, I'll always board out Ponders first. And specifically in the lock-piece matchups Therapy will get the axe too, if more room is needed. Their hate becomes diverse, and your plan is to combo out before a lock piece hits the field, so Therapy loses value.

I board out Probe over Ponder in grindier matchups - basically against most every Hymn deck. Top decking a Ponder after getting your hand torn apart is so much better than top decking probe. Like you guys, I'm torn on how to board vs. Miracles, so sometimes I'll shave at most 1 Probe vs. them, depending on how much room I need.

I think I have much less of a standard list I'm playing than either of you at the moment though (particularly since I'm rarely getting to play right now), so it's harder for me to note actual plans for matchups. 5c has some similar heuristics, but I don't think you generally need to sideboard as many cards as your answers are a little more powerful across the board. And obviously any Burning Wish build has radically different heuristics.

Hey guys, love the look of this deck! Good work to everyone brewing and testing it. I'm currently playing JBlinder's Living Wish-Tin Fins, but have played a lot of Griselbrand decks (Griselstorm with Magus of the Will, BR reanimator, etc).
    I want to get in on this Magus of the Mind shenanigans, but I sadly don't have Underground Seas or Volcanics. I have Bayous, Badlands, Tropical Island, Scrublands, Taigas, Polluted Deltas, LEDs, etc. Could I get by somehow with Watery Graves and other duals? Are there any versions of the list that lean more B/R (Faithless Looting, Burning Wish)? I only play casual local legacy so nothing super competitive. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by hovercraft; 05-30-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    Hey guys, love the look of this deck! Good work to everyone brewing and testing it. I'm currently playing JBlinder's Living Wish-Tin Fins, but have played a lot of Griselbrand decks (Griselstorm with Magus of the Will, BR reanimator, etc).
    I want to get in on this Magus of the Mind shenanigans, but I sadly don't have Underground Seas or Volcanics. I have Bayous, Badlands, Tropical Island, Scrublands, Polluted Deltas, LEDs, etc. Could I get by somehow with Watery Graves and other duals? Are there any versions of the list that lean more B/R (Faithless Looting, Burning Wish)? I only play casual local legacy so nothing super competitive. Thanks in advance!
    You can definitely get away with playing a couple of shocklands, as the deck isn't as dependent on life total as other Griselbrand decks. Since you have Bayou and Trop, you can get away with a manabase like this one:

4 Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Badlands
    1 Swamp
    1 Island
    4 Fetches of a mix of Misty/Mire/Verdant (2 Misty/1 Mire/1 Verdant a good start)

And just plug in shocklands where you need to. It's probably a bit better if you could run Volcanic, since Volcanic/Bayou is a bit better combination than Trop/Badlands, but it's only a marginal difference.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

Thread Information