Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bizarro Stormy (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Griselbrand)

Feb 2015
    SF, CA (via London, UK)

Re: Bizarro Stormy (or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Griselbrand)

Alternative deck name: Shallow Desires

Apr 2017
    London

Just wanted to drop in to say that this deck is silly and delightful and that I'm very tempted to take it for a spin on MODO.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Finally had time to write up my Seattle event...

My list again for reference:

1 Badlands
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Tundra
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Ritual
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Collective Brutality
    2 Corpse Dance
    1 Dark Petition
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Magus of the Mind
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Ponder
    4 Shallow Grave
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize
    Sideboard:

2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Massacre
    4 Monastery Mentor
    1 Plains
    2 Serenity
    3 Silent Gravestone

round 1 - bye*

round 2 - D&T (Woodrow) (1-0)
    Turns out he was a local that I had met once or twice before - we play at different stores though. He was there with a group of OTHER friends that I do know very well though.

I won the die roll.

G1 - Don't remember my exact hand, but I kept 7. Saw he had some wastelands, so I was having to cantrip to find what I needed to kill him. I was eventually able to cast a Corpse Dance and kill him from there.

G2 - We both mull to 6. I keep Delta, PIF, Ritual, Dark Petition, and 2x Probe. Scry another Dark Ritual to the top. He plays a mother of runes and passes. Probe, see a hand of another mom, plains, port, wasteland - looks like he was hoping for the mana denial strategy and a slow start from me. I draw a land off probe... so I probe again and draw LED. Perfect - Ritual, Ritual, Dark Petition for Cabal Ritual, Cabal Ritual, LED crack, flash back past in flames, flash back rituals, dark petition for Tendrils. Easy game.

round 3 - D&T (Tony) (2-0)
    He wins the die roll.

G1 - I thoughtseize and see a hand of 3x Swords to Plowshares, SOFI, Revoker, and wasteland. Take Revoker, proceed to kill on T2 by casting Corpse Dance, cracking LED in response to discard Griselbrand. Do whatever I do from there.*

G2 - He gets a canonist in play. I honestly don't remember exactly what happened, but I think maybe I bounced it? I ended up making a Griselbrand and drew 14 - they weren't great as I couldn't kill on the spot, but I could set myself up for the following turn to kill canonist and play around the wasteland I know he has, and then past in flames -> Tendrils after that. But whoops - I kept a chain of vapor in hand instead of collective brutality. I pass, he wastelands me off of blue, and I die. Punt...

G3 - I mull to 5, he makes a bunch of hate bears and beats me down. :(

round 4 - Moon Stompy (Kain) (2-1)
    He wins the die roll.

I didn't take notes in this match at all - I had Serenity and Chain of Vapor, but i don't think I needed them either game. I think I bought in Mentor in Game 2 as well, and just killed him with Griselbrand anyway.*

round 5 - Steel Stompy (Thomas) (3-1)
    I win the die roll.

G1 - I keep a super questionable hand - I think it was Griselbrand, 2x Shallow Grave, 2 Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, 2x Entomb. I thought he was on Delver, so it looked like a pretty good hand, as it was super redundant. So i just pass the turn - turns out he's not delver and plays a T1 Thorn of Amethyst. Well fuck. I draw a probe, discard griselbrand. Draw a land and cast probe, but never cast another spell. He beats me down with artifacts.

G2 - Boarded in bounce and Serenity. He's got Overseers, Ravager, Lodestone beats going at a pretty low life total. I finally top deck Serenity, but it's a turn too late. If it were Hurkyl's Recall I would have killed him on the spot. Oh well.

round 6 - Sneak and Show (Gabriel) (3-2)
    He wins the die roll.

G1 - He plays Tarn and passes, I put him on Sneak and Show. I don't play anything that would obviously give away what I'm doing - I Therapy him which gets forced pitching Show and Tell. He has a very long brainstorm while deciding what to do, while I have 3 lands out. He plays petals, casts Sneak Attack, and Sneaks in Emrakul and Annihilates me. But he's hellbent at least, and I have Griselbrand and some rituals in hand. I naturally rip a land, and pass. Rip another ritual next turn and cast Griselbrand. Draw something irrelevant the following turn into beats for 7, and I draw the worst 7 ever. No mana sources, just cantrips and discard spells while I have a swamp out. He naturally top decks ponder into another Emrakul, so I die.*

G2 - I don't remember this game all that well, but I do know he had a lot of disruption. I fought through most of it, but his plan got there better than mine. Bummer.

round 7 - D&T (Justin) (3-3)
    He wins the die roll.

G1 - I kept 7, but had to cantrip and discard for a long time. This game lasted forever - he has a Thalia with Mom on the board, and I don't have enough mana to go crazy. I make Griselbrand at a low life total, attack, and draw 7 to hopefully hit another CoBru to match the one in my hand. I do, so the next turn I CoBru Mom, then CoBru Thalia, then cast PIF with LEDs to kill with Tendrils. Whew.

G2 - This game was very fast - I believe I killed him on my T2 or 3. He had Karakas at some point.

round 8 - Sneak and Show (Rosemary) (4-3)
    She won the die roll.
    G1 - She T1 Ponders, and I follow up with a Thoughtseize that sees 3x Sneak attack, Petal, Misty, 2x Omniscience, and Brainstorm. Naturally take the brainstorm, pass, and kill her next turn with Griselbrand beats into Tendrils.

G2 - Discard tore her hand apart, and then I kill her.

5-3 on the event.

I activated Magus and chained activations a LOT throughout the event. Pretty much always got people's attention around me. Was a lot of fun. :)

Really weird set of matchups - 0 delver decks seems insane. But you just never know at a Grand Prix what you'll get paired against.

Overall thoughts…

The main deck was very strong. I would love to be able to get down to 60 cards and play the 4th probe, but I don’t think cutting the 2 cabal rituals is a viable solution to that, nor is going to 2 LED. So not totally sure what to do with that. The numbers are very tight.

Sideboard thoughts…

I was a bit unhappy. Serenity didn’t seem quite good enough in the matches I played - although it has been in prior events. In general though, I think at least 1 of those should be Hurkyl’s Recall, as I think this deck actually cares a bit less about Blood Moon than I was originally thinking. If the Serenity I had drawn against Steel Stompy had been Hurkyl’s Recall, I would have won that game. Anecdotal data obviously, but a top deck Hurkyl’s Recall is usually way better late in the game than top deck Serenity as you may not have to pass the turn to win.

Mentor, I’m out to lunch still. I brought it in once and didn’t cast it when I did. They are low cost to include in the sideboard and do give a great orthogonal backup plan to your normal graveyard shenanigans. I’m just not sure how good they are. Need more testing against Delver decks with this list to see, as that was really the reason they were in the list at all (to take the place of Silence in the reactive boards) and I didn’t play against any of those.

Massacre was obviously great, given that I played against so much D&T. Seemed well worth 2 slots if you think D&T is going to be around in your meta.

I actually didn’t bring in Gravestone at all for the event, but from previous times testing it’s a house vs. Deathrite decks. I did get got by Faerie Macabre out of D&T that gravestone would have stopped, but I don’t think it’s worth bringing the card in for that matchup.

Next steps…

Some other ideas to try out next are possibly going back to a Burning Wish Grixis based build, and running rite of flame over Cabal Ritual. Movadomk5 and I talked for a bit after the event - it’s possible that with Cabal Ritual we are creating excessive mana that we don’t totally need, so maybe Rite of Flame is fine, and then can support a Burning Wish build along with a wishboard. That could eliminate the need for white and keep the deck a bit more on color. Also allows for a good backup plan that is non-graveyard reliant in Empty the Warrens.

We’ve also talked about running some number of Unmasks in this chalice meta, which makes a lot of sense too. Could do a 3/3 Unmask/CoBru split and try that out too.

And because it’s totally my jam, I’m sure I’ll try out a Doomsday sideboard sometime too. But I don’t have as much time to test magic as much these days as I used to, so that might be a while.
    Last edited by .dk; 04-10-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added decklist
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

And also...

JBlinder - Unburial Rites is cool. Could try it for the 2nd Corpse Dance. I don't like that it doesn't grant haste though, for Magus. But maybe it doesn't matter?

cdnza: Shallow Desires has 0 references to SeaLab so it gets auto-rejected. :P

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Thinking about Unburial Rites and a few other cards:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Magus of the Mind
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Dark Petition
    1 Unburial Rites
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Corpse Dance
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Unmask
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Ponder
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp

SB:
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Massacre
    1 Serenity
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Silence
    1 Phyrexian Arena (Flex)
    1 Disenchant (Flex)

The biggest differences:

Unburial Rites: for all the reasons Jblinder said. Seems worth testing, and something you board out when bringing in Gravestones

Unmask: manaless discard is useful in a Chalice world, and we have a high enough black density to support it. Could be Thoughtseize if you wanted it to be, or you can go 4 CoBru 2 (Unmask/Therapy/Thoughtseize) if you were in a meta that would benefit from maxed out CoBru.

No Cabal Ritual: since we probably make more mana than we need, I cut this from the list. Could be worth bringing in and cutting LED, Griselbrand to make space, but I wanted 4 LED and 4 Griselbrand to take advantage of Rites a bit more.

The flex slots in the board can be anything, even extra CRits, or other spells we shaved from the main deck to make room for things, if we wanted to look beyond any of the other slots we could run here (extra basic, Arena, Echoing Truth, a 2nd PiF, Disenchant, etc).

edit- forgot Dark Petition, dropped a Ponder for it.
    Last edited by Acclimation; 04-11-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Tinfins & Bizarro Stormy & Belcher & DDFT
    @acclimation6 on twitter
    Back to back t1 kills at SCG STL 2013:
    https://youtu.be/kk3crCPsNLg

Quote Originally Posted by .dk View Post
    Acclimation has solved the deck. Thread CLOSED.

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Quote Originally Posted by cdnza View Post
    Eager to see where Doomsday mastermind Doishy takes this concept too!
    No masterminds here, only madmen.
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

And also...

JBlinder - Unburial Rites is cool. Could try it for the 2nd Corpse Dance. I don't like that it doesn't grant haste though, for Magus. But maybe it doesn't matter?

cdnza: Shallow Desires has 0 references to SeaLab so it gets auto-rejected. :P
    Yeah you’d really only be using it for Griselbrand, it won’t work well with Magus. I’ve been playing Fins with LED for awhile, most recently the Depth Fins that did well at the GP and U Rites is one of the more important cards in the deck. I think you’ll find it valuable as well, as it really opens up a lot more potential lines. Double entomb hands and Griselbrand + Led + entomb hands get so much better. You’ll probably want to make room for a scrubland (or tundra as acclimation chose).

Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    Thinking about Unburial Rites and a few other cards:

4 Griselbrand
    1 Magus of the Mind
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Unburial Rites
    1 Past in Flames
    4 Entomb
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Corpse Dance
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Unmask
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Badlands
    1 Tundra
    1 Swamp

SB:
    3 Silent Gravestone
    2 Chain of Vapor
    2 Massacre
    1 Serenity
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    3 Silence
    2 Flex

The biggest differences:

Unburial Rites: for all the reasons Jblinder said. Seems worth testing, and something you board out when bringing in Gravestones

Unmask: manaless discard is useful in a Chalice world, and we have a high enough black density to support it. Could be Thoughtseize if you wanted it to be, or you can go 4 CoBru 2 (Unmask/Therapy/Thoughtseize) if you were in a meta that would benefit from maxed out CoBru.

No Cabal Ritual: since we probably make more mana than we need, I cut this from the list. Could be worth bringing in and cutting LED, Griselbrand to make space, but I wanted 4 LED and 4 Griselbrand to take advantage of Rites a bit more.

The flex slots in the board can be anything, even extra CRits, or other spells we shaved from the main deck to make room for things, if we wanted to look beyond any of the other slots we could run here (extra basic, Arena, Echoing Truth, a 2nd PiF, Disenchant, etc).

I haven’t played Bizarro yet (I’ll give it a spin soon) but this main deck looks really good to me. Maybe scrubland over tundra? I think I want all lands to tap for B.

I also worry these builds don’t have enough business (reanimation). 4 shallow and 2 corpse feels a little light. U rites helps a lot, but I wonder if a couple probes could become even more corpse dance or even something like exhume, which works with led and is cheaper. I know not giving haste feels damning, but often exhuming a grizzle that sticks is quite enough, and how often wouldn’t you be able to set up a next-turn magus kill even if they have karakas or whatever? Maybe probes are necessary for desire-count. I haven’t played the deck yet; just throwing ideas out.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

You would be surprised, 6 reanimation spells hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. One of the advantages of Magus is that we don't need our attack step to win, so I often find myself attacking and drawing 21 before going off and winning, which regular Tinfins has issues with (normally you just reset the cannon to go off again next turn).

Definitely play the list (either the one I just listed or one of the GP builds) in an event or two, it's something that you want to get a few reps in.
    @acclimation6 on twitter

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Yeah, it does seem like it has a lot of play to it, and I agree that it does want at least 1 white land in the list too. Easy if you're already on the white splash.

With 4 Brainstorm, 4 Ponder, and 3+ Probe, and Past in Flames, I haven't had an issue with 6 reanimation spells. I don't think Probes are necessary for Magus, but they are a pretty huge benefit in a deck that sometimes wants to combo off Turn 1. The information is invaluable to direct the best use of your resources. I also like to run 1 blue dual in the splash color as well, as I'm usually either cantripping + winning in a turn, or using it for a sideboard card and winning that turn. It's been rare that I've wanted the splash color land to also make black, and would usually prefer to be able to cast Brainstorm and Ponder off of it.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Sweet deck, it's been super fun to play. I'm liking a more storm-inspired build with regards to the sideboard and maindeck protection:
    1 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Ritual
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Corpse Dance
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Magus of the Mind
    1 Mastermind's Acquisition
    1 Past in Flames
    3 Ponder
    4 Shallow Grave
    1 Thoughtseize
    Sideboard:

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Massacre
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Xantid Swarm

The Mastermind's Acquisition hasn't been relevant for natural storm lines, but at least it frees a slot in the maindeck. It's not clear what to cut if you wanted to play 60 with DP and Tendrils. I really think Probe is important since there are a ton of cards you could potentially need to play around, and it helps speed up the deck. Ponder, Cabal Rit, LED seem like the most cuttable?

Empty the Warrens hasn't come up for me yet, but I haven't played against Delver, Czech, or Steel Stompy where I'd want it. I might want to try committing to the plan more. Otherwise that could be a Chain. Carpet of Flowers has been outstanding.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Sweet deck, it's been super fun to play. I'm liking a more storm-inspired build with regards to the sideboard and maindeck protection:
    1 Bayou
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Cabal Ritual
    3 Cabal Therapy
    2 Collective Brutality
    2 Corpse Dance
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    1 Magus of the Mind
    1 Mastermind's Acquisition
    1 Past in Flames
    3 Ponder
    4 Shallow Grave
    1 Thoughtseize
    Sideboard:

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Carpet of Flowers
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Ground Seal
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Massacre
    2 Silent Gravestone
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Xantid Swarm

The Mastermind's Acquisition hasn't been relevant for natural storm lines, but at least it frees a slot in the maindeck. It's not clear what to cut if you wanted to play 60 with DP and Tendrils. I really think Probe is important since there are a ton of cards you could potentially need to play around, and it helps speed up the deck. Ponder, Cabal Rit, LED seem like the most cuttable?

Empty the Warrens hasn't come up for me yet, but I haven't played against Delver, Czech, or Steel Stompy where I'd want it. I might want to try committing to the plan more. Otherwise that could be a Chain. Carpet of Flowers has been outstanding.
    I like this maindeck a lot. The Island seems a little suspect to me and I'd probably swap the Therapy and CoBru numbers, but that's about it (minor). I'd been meaning to try 1 Acquisition in place of Petition + Tendrils to save the slot. I've liked Dark Petition a lot as well, but it may not be viable to not play at 60 card maindeck. I have no idea what the cut would be to try to fit it in there - probably start with the 2nd Cabal Ritual... but I really don't like that much either, nor do I like only 2 Ponder or LED. :( Space is just too tight.

The 1 of Flusterstorm, Xantid, and Empty the Warrens in the sideboard seem weird to me. Flusterstorm + Xantid to go up to 3 Empty maybe? Seems like a card you'd really want to see early vs. Delver matchups and cast from hand - doesn't seem like you're ever going to Acquisition for it and cast it in the same turn if you're not already comboing out with Magus.

MTGO name: Aggro4Life

Aug 2016
    Arizona, USA

Since this is (for a discord) close enough to Tin Fins, I figured I'd link the new Tin Fins Discord server here: https://discord.gg/3z4NpZ6

Also, @.dk, your sideboard looks to only have 14 cards?

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Yep, mentioned in the discord, but for completions sake... my Seattle list was 61/14. Good eye. :)

awesome thread and awesome name.
    i was fed up with legacy but i have to admit that playing some matches with bizarro storm was very funny and strong.
    Magus is great and playing corpse dance add some good old flavor ^^

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Quote Originally Posted by P-E View Post

awesome thread and awesome name.
    i was fed up with legacy but i have to admit that playing some matches with bizarro storm was very funny and strong.
    Magus is great and playing corpse dance add some good old flavor ^^
    Haha indeed! It can feel like you're just playing a different game than your opponent is! :)

Boiyayoiyayoing
    Mar 2012
    SoCal, USA

Matchups

Strictly positive vs. the field. Always.

Classic. Purely Extreme TinFins.
    Whack lists currently playing:
    Rector Nic Fit
    Bizarro Stormy
    Rest In Pieces

Pardon me, I'm a little late to the party, but why play magus of the mind over magus of the will? It's play a bit different, but I thought that was the way to lethal storm counts.

Sir Phobos
    Apr 2013
    St. Louis

Magus of the Will is a lame, pedantic boy that puts things into exile after we cast them, and can't win the game on his own.

Magus of the Mind comes in with his leather jacket, restored 60s Stingray, and brings a cooler full of beer to the party.

Or in more serious terms, as I wrote in the Primer:

Magus of the Will - Hey, we’re playing Yawgmoth’s Bargain and Mind’s Desire, why not reanimate Yawgmoth’s Will too? 4 reasons why this card isn’t worth running:

Magus of the Will exiles itself and every card that would go to the Graveyard after activating its ability. This prevents us from chaining Magus of the Minds, which is one of the key strategies of the deck.
    2B to activate is a lot of mana, although 2B to cast does make it easy to play the turn before we combo off. That would require you untap with it - difficult in a meta with common removal such as Swords to Plowshares, Fatal Push, and Lightning Bolt.
    Magus of the Will is a much worse draw for future reanimation.
    Past in Flames does everything we want and isn’t reliant on reanimation to be used. Sure, we can’t cast artifact mana (8) and Griselbrand (4) from the yard with Past in Flames, but that’s not nearly as much of a deal breaker as the previous 3 points.

That being said, if you want to run it because a couple of decks from the infamous “Small Japanese Tournament” ran it, have fun, we can’t stop you.

(Note: If you play multiple Magus of the Will and multiple Magus of the Mind, I insist that you register your deck as Magus: The Gathering. - Sam Craven)
    @acclimation6 on twitter

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    Magus of the Mind comes in with his leather jacket, restored 60s Stingray, and brings a cooler full of beer to the party.
    I picture Magus of the Mind as a bit more modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information