3 tormod's crypt
    1 blue elemental blast
    1 spell pierce/flusterstorm
    1 kolaghan's command
    2 red elemental blast
    1 pyroclasm
    2 gilded drake
    3 thoughtseize

So the list is still very raw and unrefined, which is why i'm posting it here in the hopes people will help me refine the deck. For instance, the mana base seems like hot garbage and could probably use some help.

The deck is running a number of lurrus synergies found in modern, bauble and seal of fire, which when combined with lurrus are straight gas. Seal becomes recurrable creature removal/reach similar to punishing fires (but cheaper), and bauble simply becomes card advantage. The great thing here is that lurrus provides a beater while also recurring standstill, which is insanely powerful on an empty board.

Not 100% sure what the matchups are looking like as of yet, however, recurring standstills seems really good vs combo and vs blue in general, and i believe the deck could have enough removal for aggro decks trying to be low to the ground.

Any thoughts on the list are appreciated, I'll be working to see if this is anything worth playing.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Urb Lurrus Landstill

Counterspell is not a playable card. Standstill your deck might have, but you have to play Drown in the Loch (like every other deck in legacy chooses in this position).

Feb 2007
    San Diego

It's true, counterspell has always been a weak link in legacy, I guess i could try drown in the loch instead.

May 2015
    PDX

Other things to consider: you have 5 creatures in your deck which do not require opponents to use kill spells on; it also has Factory which can be killed by Wasteland rather than a spell. You have 2x discard effects which let opponent‘s choose not to discard the card that kills Lurrus. You‘re deck has no way to burn opponents out, and no wrath effects. You have 4x Mishra‘s Bauble and 3x Seal of Fire dedicated to a creature [Lurrus] that will insta-die the moment he resolves (if he even resolves). It is likely you won‘t even attempt a cast until 5 mana, and having given your opponents all this time, they will be under no pressure to tap out going into your turn.

^all of this is happening while you‘re playing opponents who have multiple onboard value engines (PWs) you can‘t ever allow to take over...particularly since your one value engine you can reliably jam (Standstill requires favorable battlefields) is a dead-on-arrival Lurrus.

You can experiment with the deck and have some fun, but even the UWr Lurrus deck that can skill-lessly jam Counterbalance into any boardstate, without any repercussions, has acute problems when it comes to dying to a resolved PW. Note that they also get access to the oops I win Entreat cheese. Their 2 mana enchant also has a chance of countering a kill spell that their opponent‘s hand will definitely have multiple of.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

My meta is very combo-oriented, so i haven't been seeing a lot of planeswalkers recently.

How do you guys feel about kolaghan's command? Is it unnecessary?

Sep 2011

There probably is a way to play Lurrus-Still, but if you're playing black you probably want a few things:

- 4 Thoughtseize to take out their removal spells and police degeneracy

- 2 Force of Negation to police degeneracy and let you do something with those extra cards when you tap out with Standstill (the worst thing is tapping out for Standstill only to have opponent pop it, ignore it, and win because you can't use the cards you drew). Force also helps answer planeswalkers. Standstill recovers card disadvantage from Forces so why not run more than 4?

- Proactive must-kill threat to jam under Standstill (e.g. Delver of Secrets, Death's Shadow, Phyrexian Dreadnought, that Kraken-making enchantment) instead of Baleful Strix. Otherwise you play Standstill, they do nothing for 7 turns while you attack with a 1/1, then they crack Standstill once they've sculpted the perfect hand and have more value than you have answers. Seems bad. Planeswalkers (Oko, Teferi) and the flying Shark are great proactive threats to play with Standstill, but then you can't play Lurrus.

Ideally you want Karakas to protect Lurrus, which is easier in UWx control instead of Grixis.

KCommand is bad in combo metas, while 2-3 FoN is good.

Thread Information