-rob

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Re: Spicy Popcorn

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Just right click on image, open in new tab
    Thanks, that worked!

Most of the cards are self explanatory, but what about honor of the pure and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver? What are the MUs in which they are needed?
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Thanks, that worked!

Most of the cards are self explanatory, but what about honor of the pure and Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver? What are the MUs in which they are needed?
    Well I've lost to not having enough power because of Dread of Night and it also just helps make my guys pretty big and saves them from a lot of -1/-1 effects that are everywhere now.

Ashiok is because I really needed a card for beating miracles and 4c control that didn't die to stp, terminus, Kolaghan's Command etc. and just a big grind machine. It's surprisingly good I'd say, messes with their top manipulation and steals mentors occasionaly, exiles key cards and ultimates in 4 turns which is the true payoff I'm looking for. Something that makes them want to attack or they have to spend Council's Judgment on it.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Well I've lost to not having enough power because of Dread of Night and it also just helps make my guys pretty big and saves them from a lot of -1/-1 effects that are everywhere now.

Ashiok is because I really needed a card for beating miracles and 4c control that didn't die to stp, terminus, Kolaghan's Command etc. and just a big grind machine. It's surprisingly good I'd say, messes with their top manipulation and steals mentors occasionaly, exiles key cards and ultimates in 4 turns which is the true payoff I'm looking for. Something that makes them want to attack or they have to spend Council's Judgment on it.
    Honor of the pure makes sense: protecting from -1/-1 effects and increasing your clock can be game winning.

I'm not so sure about Ashiok however, because it doesn't protect himself and opponent can ignore his abilities (even the ultimate) if his racing you.
    Wouldn't liliana, the last hope be better? She protects herself to some extension, she bring you back killed creatures and her ultimate will win the game at some point. And she's even easier to cast with your mana base ;)
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    Honor of the pure makes sense: protecting from -1/-1 effects and increasing your clock can be game winning.

I'm not so sure about Ashiok however, because it doesn't protect himself and opponent can ignore his abilities (even the ultimate) if his racing you.
    Wouldn't liliana, the last hope be better? She protects herself to some extension, she bring you back killed creatures and her ultimate will win the game at some point. And she's even easier to cast with your mana base ;)
    I mean, I'm not sure you understand what ashiok does, and don't you think I considered liliana, the last hope? It doesn't bring back my exiled creatures btw, and remind me when Miracles is racing me? ;)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

have you tried nicol bolas, planeswalker
    -rob

Been following the thread and watched a few of the matches on the video that Bahra provided on his Twitch page. Some thoughts...

1) Would Tymna the Weaver be a good fit or Dark Confidant as it appears that card draw is desired quite often.

2) Would a build based around legendary creatures be a good idea? Thalia, Kambal, Tymna, and etc. I wonder if this would fix some of the mana issues as you get mox amber and maybe if you go legendary humans you can improve your mana base? Also there is Kamahl's Druidic Vow which may or may not have a place.

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    I mean, I'm not sure you understand what ashiok does, and don't you think I considered liliana, the last hope? It doesn't bring back my exiled creatures btw, and remind me when Miracles is racing me? ;)
    The only thing that Ashiok does is messing up with oppoent's cantrips, and sometimes you can steal a monastery mentor which, however, your deck is not built to abuse.

Given time it can beat miracles by decking them I guess, but:
    • it doesn't necessarely stops terminus (because with portent they will cast it in your upkeep before you can activate Ashiok and with brainstorm they set it up in your EOT)
    • it doesn't do anything to opponent's board (snapcasters that plow your creatures and attack Ashiok are real, and a single mentor has to be respected because can race any deck)

At least liliana has some interaction with creatures (can kill snap, Young pyro, ecc...) and if you can stall the board until you get to ultimate her you almost surely will win, while with Ashiok you actually need to find a way to win afterward. You can bring her in against more decks too (D&T? Kills most of their creatures).

I still haven't played your deck, but I know how though some MU can be and I don't think my suggestion was so bad (nicol bolas jokes aside).

Maybe you can explain why Ashiok is better than Liliana?
    Ignorance is strength

Could the newly spoiled Cabal Therapist be a nic(e) fit here?

Edit: also Teysa Karlov and Plaguecrafter from last sets.

Thread Information