Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wizards - From Hipsters of the Coast Podcast

Wizards - From Hipsters of the Coast Podcast

I listened to the most recent Hipsters of the Coast podcast https://soundcloud.com/eternaldurdle...a-legacy-picks. In the podcast they discuss the implications of [Naban, Dean of Iteration]. Double clique, double sower, double snap(maybe something from sb), Venser, Reflecting mage.

4 Aether Vial
    4 Mox Amber
    4 Cursecatcher
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Meddling Mage
    3 Reflector Mage
    3 Patron Wizard
    4 Naban, Dean of Iteration
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Sower of Temptation
    4 Force of Will
    2 Vedalken Aethermage
    22 Lands

Jul 2013
    Texas

Re: Wizards - From Hipsters of the Coast Podcast

Thanks for listening! (I am Nate from this cast.)

I am excited to work on this, Phil made me a believer. I think you definitely want max Aethermage though, then you can run silver bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

I'm actually more inclined towards an Ancient Tomb-accelerated approach; many of the better Wizards (e.g. Glen Elendra Archmage, Sower of Temptation, Venser - which definitely should be at least a 1-of) have a significant colorless cost and being able to accelerate out 4-drops natches well with a Chalice-utilising approach giving this a leg up over its blue brethern in Merfolk. Also, Riptide Laboratory seems all too good not to utilise; which also suggests a minor faerie theme with Spellstutter Sprite, Vendilion Clique, Sower & potentially GEA. A different approach to be sure, but I'm thinking it might be more promising in the format at large.

Have you tried the list? I remember him saying he cut the patrons and thalias, and I don't recall any mention of Amber. How is it working for you?

Based off of what he said, I came up with this.

4 vial
    4 Force of will
    4 brainstorm
    4 cursecarcher
    4 silvergill adept
    4 Naban
    4 meddling mage
    2 Deputy of aquitals
    2 reflector mage
    2 vendillion clique
    2 venser
    2 master of waves
    1 vedalken aethermage
    1 voimage prodigy

2 karakas
    1 riptide lab
    4 cavern
    4 flooded strand
    2 Misty rainforest
    4 tundra
    2 island
    2 plains

What about Trinket Mage / Trophy Mage?

If this deck is on the 4x Meddling Mage plan, it must be right to play or at least good enough to test 4x Gitaxian Probe. Hell, that even opens this deck up to splashing black for Cabal Therapy in the sideboard as well as Dark Confidant.

Apr 2014
    Houston, TX

Threw this together a couple of months ago while testing a Wizards tribal shell that could utilize the 5c Humans mana base from Modern. Ultimately moved away from a lot of the clunkier card choices, but I think this is a good starting point for testing a deck that utilizes Naban well.

Creature (26)
    4x Meddling Mage
    2x Patron Wizard
    4x Phantasmal Image
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Reflector Mage
    1x Sower of Temptation
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    3x Vedalken AEthermage
    2x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant

Land (22)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    2x Plains
    2x Riptide Laboratory
    4x Unclaimed Territory

Instant (4)
    4x Force of Will

Sorcery (4)
    4x Gitaxian Probe

Artifact (4)
    4x Aether Vial

Though there's a lot of merit to a third splash color, I think the best bet for now is to form a core by just shaving anything that's not blue and/or white from the list. Simplifying the mana base also gives us the option to run the blue package of Brainstorms and Fetches along with 4 Force of Wills. So maybe something like this:

Creature (26)
    3x Meddling Mage
    2x Patron Wizard
    3x Phantasmal Image
    3x Reflector Mage
    1x Sower of Temptation
    3x Spellstutter Sprite
    4x Vedalken AEthermage
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Master of Waves
    4x Naban, Dean of Iteration

Land (22)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    2x Plains
    2x Riptide Laboratory
    2x Karakas
    2x Tundra

Instant (8)
    4x Force of Will
    4x Brainstorm

Artifact (4)
    4x Aether Vial

Ultimately I left out Phil's idea of incorporating Curse Catchers and Silvergill Adepts, though the latter is undeniably strong with Naban and shores up a lot of the problems that this deck might have with running out of steam. I admittedly haven't looked at Dominaria spoilers very closely, but I do know there are a couple of Merfolk wizards in that set. Maybe some of those could be included to help turn Silvergill Adept on.

Merfolk aside, it seems like we're missing out on a huge power spike at the cost of a negligible amount of consistency by going two colors. Immediately black and red stand out as the two best candidates for a splash, though green also offers some nice incentives.

Green
    -Sylvan Safekeeper
    -Qasali Pridemage
    -Krosan Grip?

Definitely the least exciting of the splash colors, Green offers very little outside of typical green things in the form of Artifact and Enchantment removal. Sylvan Safekeeper is a card that typically wouldn't warrant a slot in a deck like this, but from goldfishing the initial drafts it seems like we're in pretty desperate need of a mid/late game mana sink. Sacrificing lands might be able to help us out here, maybe with some kind of a Land Tax engine if we wanted to get really cute.

Red
    -Izzet Staticaster
    -Magus of the Moon
    -Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast effects
    -Sweepers?

Access to red gives us some powerful silver bullets in the form of Magus of the Moon and Izzet Staticaster. As it is, I don't think this deck has a clean answer to True-Name Nemesis outside of a sideboard Magus of the Moat or Council's Judgment. As such, splashing red for a couple of Pyroblast effects might be worth it for us to have a better chance against the fair blue decks of the format.

Black
    -Dark Confidant (Probably main deck)
    -Cabal Therapy
    -Nameless Inversion

Black splash seems pretty great (but at what cost?) in this deck. Dark Confidant fits in with the Wizard theme, and helps to supply us with a steady stream of card advantage that we're so desperately lacking in. Additionally, Cabal Therapy works very well with some of the ETB creatures we have (Spellstutter Sprite, extra Nabans) and might even warrant the re-inclusion of Gitaxian Probe main deck to give our Meddling Mages a little bit of an extra punch. Nameless inversion is admittedly cute, but with the Vedalken Aethermages to help tutor it up, I think a singleton copy in the sideboard might have some merit.

Curious to hear people's thoughts. List has a long way to go, but I'm stoked to see what the final product looks like.

Edited: Tags and Typos
    Last edited by Jesture; 04-24-2018 at 05:58 PM.

The issue with adding therapy to complement probe is you you now have to cut creatures or forces, which makes vial worse. Adding in nameless inversion on top of that makes the decision to play vial mathematically loose.

I was working on this since I saw Naban, Dean of Iteration.

My thought was more like a Blue Death and Taxes style list with Venser/Karakas being similar to a Capsize lock.

For this style you would DEFINTIELY want Patron Wizards.

I would do 4 wastelands and consider 4 ports as well. The mana base should be able to handle it finely.

My theoretical list:

4 vial
    4 StP
    4 FoW
    4 cursecatcher
    4 Vedalken Aethermage
    4 Patron Wizard
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Venser
    2 cliques
    3 Naban
    2 Reflector Mage
    2 snapcasters

3 Karakas
    4 caverns
    3 tundras? maybe less
    2 islands
    2 plains
    4 wastelands
    4 fetches? Flooded Strands or ports here

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just the idea of this deck is incredible. Love that it might open up a new deck! Carry on brewmasters!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    I was working on this since I saw Naban, Dean of Iteration.

My thought was more like a Blue Death and Taxes style list with Venser/Karakas being similar to a Capsize lock.

For this style you would DEFINTIELY want Patron Wizards.

I would do 4 wastelands and consider 4 ports as well. The mana base should be able to handle it finely.

My theoretical list:

4 vial
    4 StP
    4 FoW
    4 cursecatcher
    4 Vedalken Aethermage
    4 Patron Wizard
    3 Meddling Mage
    2 Venser
    2 cliques
    3 Naban
    2 Reflector Mage
    2 snapcasters

3 Karakas
    4 caverns
    3 tundras? maybe less
    2 islands
    2 plains
    4 wastelands
    4 fetches? Flooded Strands or ports here
    if you're playing Snaps, I'd definitely want to play additional 1cmc spells, ie brainstorms or something of the like. also might as well fit in riptide lab

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Mangara is also a Wizard. He could be at least a tutor target. No idea how hard the would be on the manabase, though.

Seeing as this deck came from Hipsters of the Coast and it's about wizards, I propose this deck be named Wizards of the Coast. No relation, of course.
    Riding the Spiral

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

added tags

Quote Originally Posted by Jesture View Post
    Threw this together a couple of months ago while testing a Wizards tribal shell that could utilize the 5c Humans mana base from Modern. Ultimately moved away from a lot of the clunkier card choices, but I think this is a good starting point for testing a deck that utilizes Naban well.

Creature (26)

4x Meddling Mage
    2x Patron Wizard
    4x Phantasmal Image
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    3x Reflector Mage
    1x Sower of Temptation
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    3x Vedalken AEthermage
    2x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant

Land (22)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    2x Plains
    2x Riptide Laboratory
    4x Unclaimed Territory

Instant (4)
    4x Force of Will

Sorcery (4)
    4x Gitaxian Probe

Artifact (4)
    4x Aether Vial

Though there's a lot of merit to a third splash color, I think the best bet for now is to form a core by just shaving anything that's not blue and/or white from the list. Simplifying the mana base also gives us the option to run the blue package of Brainstorms and Fetches along with 4 Force of Wills. So maybe something like this:

Creature (26)
    3x Meddling Mage
    2x Patron Wizard
    3x Phantasmal Image
    3x Reflector Mage
    1x Sower of Temptation
    3x Spellstutter Sprite
    4x Vedalken AEthermage
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Venser, Shaper Savant
    1x Master of Waves
    4x Naban, Dean of Iteration

Land (22)
    4x Cavern of Souls
    4x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    2x Plains
    2x Riptide Laboratory
    2x Karakas
    2x Tundra

Instant (4)
    4x Force of Will
    4x Brainstorm

Artifact (4)
    4x Aether Vial

Ultimately I left out Phil's idea of incorporating Curse Catchers and Silvergill Adepts, though the latter is undeniably strong with Naban and shores up a lot of the problems that this deck might have with running out of steam. I admittedly haven't looked at Dominaria spoilers very closely, but I do know there are a couple of Merfolk wizards in that set. Maybe some of those could be included to help turn Silvergill Adept on.

Merfolk aside, it seems like we're missing out on a huge power spike at the cost of a negligible amount of consistency by going two colors. Immediately black and red stand out as the two best candidates for a splash, though green also offers some nice incentives.

Green
    -Sylvan Safekeeper
    -Qasali Pridemage
    -Krosan Grip?

Definitely the least exciting of the splash colors, Green offers very little outside of typical green things in the form of Artifact and Enchantment removal. Sylvan Safekeeper is a card that typically wouldn't warrant a slot in a deck like this, but from goldfishing the initial drafts it seems like we're in pretty desperate need of a mid/late game mana sink. Sacrificing lands might be able to help us out here, maybe with some kind of a Land Tax engine if we wanted to get really cute.

Red
    -Izzet Staticaster
    -Magus of the Moon
    -REB/Pyroblast effects
    -Sweepers?

Access to red gives us some powerful silver bullets in the form of Magus of the Moon and Izzet Staticaster. As it is, I don't think this deck has a clean answer to True-Name Nemesis outside of a sideboard Magus of the Moat or Council's Judgment. As such, splashing red for a couple of Pyroblast effects might be worth it for us to have a better chance against the fair blue decks of the format.

Black
    -Dark Confidant (Probably main deck)
    -Cabal Therapy
    -Nameless Inversion

Black splash seems pretty great (but at what cost?) in this deck. Dark Confidant fits in with the Wizard theme, and helps to supply us with a steady stream of card advantage that we're so desperately lacking in. Additionally, Cabal Therapy works very well with some of the ETB creatures we have (Spellstutter Sprite, extra Nabans) and might even warrant the re-inclusion of Gitaxian Probe main deck to give our Meddling Mages a little bit of an extra punch. Nameless inversion is admittedly cute, but with the Vedalken Aethermages to help tutor it up, I think a singleton copy in the sideboard might have some merit.

Curious to hear people's thoughts. List has a long way to go, but I'm stoked to see what the final product looks like.
    -rob

Has anyone tested this out on modo or proxied up the deck. The more I think about it the less I like mox amber for so many reasons.

Well I just picked up the Naban’s. If we can get a list that seems reasonable I’m in to run it at my weekly.

I just put something together. You name two cards with meddling mage and naban?

I believe the following is a full list of all wizards with "Enters the battlefield" abilities. However Naban states "If a Wizard entering the battlefield under your control causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time." which immediately makes me wonder, what are the most broken triggered abilities that are triggered by other creatures (or wizards) entering the battlefield?

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3Aen...er=cmc&as=grid

Quote Originally Posted by Shivaess View Post
    I just put something together. You name two cards with meddling mage and naban?

No, it's not a trigger

Quote Originally Posted by structuremole View Post
    No, it's not a trigger
    Damn. Did the research and because it starts with "As" its a state based effect. Thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information