Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Peach Garden Lich.DEC

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

[Deck] Peach Garden Lich.DEC

As you all know, I am the Lich King and I'm obssessed with the card Lich. It's a healthy obsession, really, since the card's only side effect is generating and stimulating my creative juices within my brain. Anyways, I present to you my latest Lich innovation and I promise you that it is far more consistent than Nourishing Lich. Though the clock is a turn slower (the deck goes off between turn 3-4) if you prefer more consistent combo decks - this is the deck for you.

I first noticed a certain card while skimming through Gatherer.com for life gaining effects. I was intrigued by the card Peach Garden Oath and Festival of Trokin (both cards do the same exact thing) which gain you 2 life for each creature in play for the low cost of one white mana. I saw the card and said to myself, "there must be a way to break this card with Lich." I then sat there and thought about the card for a few seconds. Token generators emmediately came to mind. My brain then spouted a better idea. Kobolds. Kobolds simple and plain was the key thought that manifested into a decklist. The first list was rough and it took about a few days of goldfishing to tweak it into something presentable. After testing a bit, and liking the fact that I was getting 3rd and 4th turn kills consistently, I came up with this list.

Peach Garden Lich.DEC By Cavius The Great

Mana:18
    4 Bayou
    4 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Mox Diamond

Draw Spells:11
    4 Glimpse of Nature (draw spells with Kobolds)
    3 Infernal Contract
    3 Cruel Bargain
    1 Zuran Orb (draw spell with Lich)

Accelerants/Mana Fixers:10
    4 Land Grant
    3 Wild Cantor
    3 Dark Ritual

The Combo:10
    4 Lich
    3 Festival of Trokin (draw engine with Kobolds and Lich)
    3 Peach Garden Oath (same as above)

The Kill:2
    2 Brain Freeze

The Kobolds:9
    3 Crookshank Kobolds
    3 Crimson Kobolds
    3 Kobolds of Kher Keep

The Sideboard:15
    4 Sudden Shock (Meddling Mage/True Believer tech)
    2 Cabal Therapy (disruption)
    2 Unmask (disruption)
    3 Krosan Grip (uncounterable artifact/enchantment destruction)
    4 Pact of Negation (counter hate, lets me play Lich with counter backup)

The deck's general idea is the sculpt your hand and playing land until you hit turn 3. Once you've hit your third land drop, you then cast Glimpse of Nature and unload all of the Kobolds in your hand. After drawing as much as you can off Glimpse, second priority is to get a Lich into play. It's quite a simple thing to do with Rituals, Petals and all of the other mana accelerants within the deck. After playing Lich, keep one white mana open so that you can play Peach Garden Oath or Festival of Trokin on that very turn. After you have a good number of Kobolds in play you then play Peach Garden Oath or a Festival to draw into your deck deeper and essentially draw into more mana accelerants and draw spells. Once you've drawn the majority of your deck (I draw my entire deck approximately 75% of the time, so this is not uncommon) You then use your remaining mana accelerants that you've drawn into to cast Brain Freeze aftering generating a massive storm count. Peach Garden Oath/Festival of Trokin draw effects can generate anywhere between 4-20+ cards, depending on your board position. Also remember to always keep track of how many cards are in your library before casting any massive draw spell to prevent you from decking yourself.

Well, that's the latest and greatest Lich innovation that I've concieved. Feel free to ask questions on how the deck works and I'll clarify myself if necessary. Don't be embarrased to ask, the deck is very complicated. I hope that you all will enjoy my deck and let the discussion begin.
    Last edited by Cavius The Great; 07-29-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Eremobates inyoanus
    Sep 2006
    Corvallis, OR

Re: Peach Garden Lich.DEC

Any reason you chose to play kobolds over the strictly superior shield sphere, phyrexian walker, and ornithopter? At least those creatures can block and survive a lackey if need be.

Also, your deck doesn't really have any control elements. Do you often have problems against opposing force of will or stifle?

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    the card's only side effect is generating and stimulating my creative juices within my brain.
    That, and occasionally losing you the game, I suppose.

I echo Solpugid's comments about Shield Sphere and Co, they're pretty much better in every way than Kobolds. Unless you sideboard the savage Rohgahh of Kher Keep tech, I suppose.

Also, since you stated yourself that you spend the first 3 turns sculpting hand and playing lands, what happens when Thresh does the same thing for those turns and inevitably has FoW? You should find some way to make sure that your spells resolve.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Have you considered Culling the Weak? IT produces BBBB and Lich happens to cost BBBB. Oh and you have Kobalds anyway.
    info.ninja

Banned
    Mar 2006

I Run Kobolds so that I can imprint them onto a Chrome Mox so I can cast either a Wild Cantor if need be or a Sudden Shock in the SB.

As for dealing with control decks, I keep my disruption mainly in the SB. I do this because I felt that in some matchups it might not be needed, such as Vial goblins, white weenie variants and any other random aggro matchup. Game 2 and 3 I side in Pact of Negation, Cabal Therapy and Unmask against control.
    Last edited by Cavius The Great; 07-29-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Nov 2005
    Germany

Since you're squandering life points like there's no tomorrow as well, you need to let this deck be compared to Spanish Inquisition.

You seem to be a good 2 turns slower, and not noticably more resilent. Why exactly should we play this?

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    Since you're squandering life points like there's no tomorrow as well, you need to let this deck be compared to Spanish Inquisition.

You seem to be a good 2 turns slower, and not noticably more resilent. Why exactly should we play this?
    I'm not totally familiar with the decklist pertaining to Spanish Inquisition. Can you provide a decklist so that I can make card by card comparisons?

Nov 2005
    Germany

But of course. I am fond of one of the older ones:

//Mana
    4 Land Grant
    2 Bayou
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cabal Ritual

//Robots
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere
    2 Ornithopter

//Business
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Diabolic Intent

//Win
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Goblin Charbelcher

The Thopters and Intents are filler for want of anything better; some lists splash blue for Meditate or run Cabal Therapies in those slots. The second IGG is also debatable since the deck doesn't need it and it tends to suck in the most difficult match-ups.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    But of course. I am fond of one of the older ones:

//Mana
    4 Land Grant
    2 Bayou
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cabal Ritual

//Robots
    4 Phyrexian Walker
    4 Shield Sphere
    2 Ornithopter

//Business
    4 Infernal Contract
    4 Cruel Bargain
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Diabolic Intent

//Win
    3 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Goblin Charbelcher

The Thopters and Intents are filler for want of anything better; some lists splash blue for Meditate or run Cabal Therapies in those slots. The second IGG is also debatable since the deck doesn't need it and it tends to suck in the most difficult match-ups.
    I've actually tested a deck very similiar. I've tested Contract Tendrils extensively which is very similiar. I'll have to say this, Peach garden Lich is more consistent in the sense that it has a less of chance of fizzling. While Contract Tendrils and Spanish Inquisition can go off on the first turn, I would pick up and play Peach Garden Lich anyday due to it being more consistent. Sure, the clock is two turns slower, but wouldn't you want consistancy over speed anyways? A win is a win regardless of the turn you go off. That's just my two cents.

Marshalling the Troops can work well in a Lich deck.
    A win is a win regardless of the turn you go off. That's just my two cents.
    The later you win the more chances your opponent has to win or stop you from winning.

Winning faster > Winning slower, especially if the consistency and resiliency is the same.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul Kamadaka View Post
    Marshalling the Troops can work well in a Lich deck.The later you win the more chances your opponent has to win or stop you from winning.

Winning faster > Winning slower, especially if the consistency and resiliency is the same.
    Winning slower > fizzling and not winning at all. That's the main problem I see with Contract Tendrils based decks. The consistency is a major issue. That's the main point I was trying to make.

Edit: Marshaling The Troops is genius. Great find man.

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

I'd try a single Grapeshot in place of a Brainfreeze. It helps aganist Meddling Mage and you should be able to cast 20 spells anyway.

Also Empty the warrens could be useful, both as a kill spell and as a creature generator. Drop 10 Goblins, draw 20 cards looks good. Just watch out, when casting the Peach Garden Oath, you don't want to deck yourself.

Even Tendrils could be useful, of course you can't win with it if you have less than 20 cards in library.A single one for 5-6 spells could be useful to draw cards to keep going.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Doesn't Children of Korlis work? It seems far superior to any other life-gain card when combined with Lich.
    miLLe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    Doesn't Children of Korlis work? It seems far superior to any other life-gain card when combined with Lich.
    Yes, if you're at full life and cast Lich, sacrificing Children will draw you twenty cards.

I sacrifice children all the time, it was my secret tech.

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

+ Living Wish / Eladamri's Call / Wordly Tutor - can all fetch both combo pieces, i.e. Academy Rector and Children.
    miLLe!!!!!

Banned
    Mar 2006

This deck isn't meant to abuse Children of Korlis. That is a completely different deck. To be honest, I actually did consider Children of Korlis, but the deck is very tight as it is and needs to stay focused. Relying on zero casting cost creatures and one mana draw spells seems more consistant than a creature that has a bigger target on it's head than Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.

Other cards that got considered include Essense Warden and Soul Warden. Even those cards got axed, in the end, due to inconsistancy issues.
    Last edited by Cavius The Great; 09-05-2007 at 01:22 PM.

This deck isn't meant to abuse Children of Korlis. That is a completely different deck. To be honest, I actually did consider Children of Korlis, but the deck is very tight as it is and needs to stay focused. Relying on zero casting cost creatures and one mana draw spells seems more consistant than a creature that has a bigger target on it's head than Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.

Other cards that got considered include Essense Warden and Soul Warden. Even those cards got axed, in the end, due to inconsistancy issues.
    I think children seems sweet in here. We do a monthly full proxy event, might run pgl there. Very rough but something like:

4 children of korlis
    4 shield sphere
    1 xantid swarm
    1 wild cantor
    1 dryad arbor
    2 gsz

4 cabal therapy

4 lich
    4 pattern of rebirth
    4 cruel bargain
    2 griselbrand
    2 tendrils of agony
    2 peach garden oath
    1 sylvan library

4 lotus petal
    3 chrome mox
    4 dark ritual
    4 culling the weak
    2 badlands
    2 bayou
    4 verdant catacombs
    4 windswept heath
    1 phyrexian tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Re: [Deck] Peach Garden Lich.DEC

consider running 1 veteran explorer (you'll have to fit 2 basics in there, but prob worth it.)
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    consider running 1 veteran explorer (you'll have to fit 2 basics in there, but prob worth it.)
    Good shout, yeah I should squeeze one in plus 2 or 3 basics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

How do you tutor Lich?

Thread Information