Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would the printing of Angelic Spirit Guide affect the format?

Re: How would the printing of Angelic Spirit Guide affect the format?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Now this card is sexy...exiling from the graveyard probably makes it too strong, however. Dredge and all that.
    You're probably right, but it's not like Dredge has it easy, or is even in the conversation for a DTB. Graveyard hate is stupid powerful.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It steals a top 8 occasionally when people aren't prepared for it, but you're right about that.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

What if they printed a "Golem Spirt Guide" that allowed you to exile it to add to your mana pool? Would that be overly broken?
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

So mana vault but without 1 needed to start?
    -rob

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    What if they printed a "Golem Spirt Guide" that allowed you to exile it to add to your mana pool? Would that be overly broken?
    I'll have what you're having.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

As a Stax player, no that would be fine. As a Magic player, 'OH GOD SAVE US!'
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

I feel like you just opened a portal into a world where Trinisphere is cast on turn one and Lodestone Golem hulks out on blue mages. It's beautiful.
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Golem spirit guide please. Also simply nuts in belcher. I mean I'd just use it to power up green sun's fast, but there's far more broken stuff to do. Fast mana is dumb as Fuck should basically be what we learn from this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Yeah, more fast mana and stompy decks is what Legacy needs. Let's try to play around each other as much as possible and become Modern with Duals and FoW. /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Yeah, more fast mana and stompy decks is what Legacy needs. Let's try to play around each other as much as possible and become Modern with Duals and FoW. /sarcasm
    I think the quality counter-magic (and Wasteland) help keep Legacy more interactive.

Funny, a lot of people think Legacy needs less DRS/Cantrip fair decks, not less Stompy and combo. Fair decks get upgrades every year, but we haven't seen fast mana since, what, Pyretic Ritual? I'm sure we aren't going to get a new SG, but it would be a breath of fresh air.

Furthermore, I don't think ASG would yield a significant increase in combo or stompy. Belcher and Oops become slightly more consistent but no less resilient. Stompy decks in general don't get better. Angel Stompy or Thalia Stompy might get a little boost, so we might get a little more diversity in our Stompy lists. Even that is far from certain. ASG wouldn't be that much better than Petal.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

I think ASG would be the best of the Spirit Guides in the various Stompy lists simply because if drawn late it's a body for equipment, which you're likely running due to SFM. That's a lot more value than you get out of the Gray Ogre in red or green stompies.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I think ASG would be the best of the Spirit Guides in the various Stompy lists simply because if drawn late it's a body for equipment, which you're likely running due to SFM. That's a lot more value than you get out of the Gray Ogre in red or green stompies.
    You're assuming it would fly? The OP in this thread suggests a card that does not fly - just like ESG and SSG.

I'm guessing angel Stompy doesn't even play SFM - not so god with Moat. E&T lists run it, though.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Crimhead View Post
    You're assuming it would fly? The OP in this thread suggests a card that does not fly - just like ESG and SSG.
    How did you draw this conclusion from his post? Nowhere does he say it would fly, just another body to carry equipment in a pinch.

I don't see how this card would really affect the format, good or bad. A or one could potentially cause havoc, but I think is a safe bet.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Honestly, I'd play the hell out of it if it were 2W - 1/2 Flying - Exile ~ from your hand to produce W. Sling early to get a turn 1 Chalice or Thalia, later on strap equipment to it with evasion and go to town.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

A Faierie Spirit Guide would singlehandedly bring Fairie Stompy back to life.

In an ideal world, there would have never been any of the power 9 and we would have instead gotten a cycle of Spirit Guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    How did you draw this conclusion from his post?
    From the comment that suggested ASG would be better suited to carry equipment.

Think I misunderstood - poster was saying that ASG would be on-colour in the Stompy builds that run SFM; and that's what makes it better there.

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    But Hatebear decks could already play Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox, and either spirit guide (for colorless cost. Only color intensive hatebar off the top of my head is Gaddock Teeg - in which case elvish spirit guide is probably best since most of your lands would tap for W) to power out T1 hatebear.

My guess is that "Angelic" would not see play.
    I think it'd be a D&T/Maverick Staple, as well as ADNaus in Modern. It means that you not only have a beater, you also have the capacity for acceleration that isn't hit by Thalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenslight View Post
    I think it'd be a D&T/Maverick Staple, as well as ADNaus in Modern. It means that you not only have a beater, you also have the capacity for acceleration that isn't hit by Thalia.
    A 2/2 for three mana is hardly a "beater". As for acceleration, it's true it isn't hit by Thalia, but the thing is the main reason you'd ever want acceleration to begin with is to get Thalia out to shut down combo decks like Storm more quickly. One-shot acceleration is actually not all that great unless you're getting out something that will win you the game, literally (Storm) or virtually (Chalice), which is why you'll only see them used in decks that are out to ramp into a game-winning spell. The only thing that really fits under that description for D&T and Maverick are Thalia (I guess also Gaddock Teeg).

It might be a decent sideboard card to help get your hatebears out more quickly against decks like Storm, though.

As for Ad Nauseam... that seems a bit dubious. +1 mana is actually not all that useful to getting to where it needs to be, which is why its primary accelerants are Lotus Bloom (+3 mana) and Pentad Prism (+2 mana). True, it runs Simian Spirit Guide, but that's because that's used to fire off the win condition after drawing your deck, and in doing so you'll be guaranteed to have drawn all of them.

It'd probably enable Stompy builds for Modern, though, which have mostly been neglected due to the lack of reliable ways to get a Chalice out on the first turn.

Golem Spirit Guide would be fine if it added instead of . Not very thematic though - Golem Spirit? Eldrazi Spirit Guide would be make more sense.

Thread Information