Thread: [CARD] Empress Galina

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

[CARD] Empress Galina

Empress Galina

I am not sure how I feel about her as a commander. I just do not know the format all that well. But with the change of planeswalkers to legendary, I have decided to throw her the smoldering heap of my Leovold deck just as a card.

Have any of you faced or used this card? Is it too narrow? Do you prefer it as a commander?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [CARD] Empress Galina

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Empress Galina

I am not sure how I feel about her as a commander. I just do not know the format all that well. But with the change of planeswalkers to legendary, I have decided to throw her the smoldering heap of my Leovold deck just as a card.

Have any of you faced or used this card? Is it too narrow? Do you prefer it as a commander?
    I actually kinda like her because of how broad your options are for deck building. You could go Merfolk tribal. You could do MUC. She really doesn't limit your options while still having an ability that will be relevant in 99% of games.

Lightning Greaves and Thousand-Year Elixir seem like auto-includes.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

As a card, Galina is fine, especially in a format where every deck has at least one legendary permanent in it.

I'd give Proteus Staff a go with her for sure. Or maybe even Jalira, Master Polymorphist for maximum jank.

I think if you put her in the command zone you'd be wise to prepare for some hate. She's not broken or anything, but some people really hate having their stuff "borrowed". You'd probably also want to run a couple outs to Homeward Path since it more or less turns your commander into a 5 mana 1/3 with some words on it.

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

I don't think she's the best Commander but good in the 99.
    I have her in my Merfolk Tribal deck and it's nice to steal an opponents annoying Commander (Brago for instance).
    Play All The Decks!

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Thanks for the replies. I tried her out over the weekend for the first time. She was basically a bomb in our environment. 6 player ffa.

I countered a counter to resolve her. When I untapped I stole Mogis and that was all I got. She was killed, reanimated by someone else, killed again. Basically she played a significant role in the game I got to her, and other players were keen to see her not activated. Fun times.

Another generic question comes to mind though. How many of you specifically try to include cards that other players will leave alone either through its borderline blandness or through hexproofing or something?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Another generic question comes to mind though. How many of you specifically try to include cards that other players will leave alone either through its borderline blandness or through hexproofing or something?
    I always try to consider what beats whatever I'm trying to do. In the case of Galina, you have to figure it's going to be a removal magnet...so enter Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots.

As far as "boring" cards, that's not really a thing I consider. My favorite cards in this format are the ones that look bland but really aren't. The sort of thing where someone will read it and go "huh, neat" and not give it a second thought until they're reading it again because it's killing them.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

She was killed, reanimated by someone else, killed again.
    You chose to bin her? What was the strategy there?
    In case you didn't realize, you ALWAYS have the option to move your Commander to the Command Zone whenever it changes zones (including to your hand and library).

The strategy with my Mimeoplasm deck is to always make my commander a copy of a hexproof creature with a large number of +1/+1 counters on it. Instead of going for borderline blandness, you could include pieces which have an EtB ability and are then boring (Mulldrifter) or ones that have a static ability regardless of who controls it (Trinisphere is all that comes to mind...).

Cards that came to mind for protecting Galina:

Misdirection
    Spellskite

And for giggles:

Leyline of Singularity

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Ace, those are some sweet ideas for protection. I really like spellskite. Fun card. If ihis were my commander I would have to use a lot of those. Btw, that is why I did not command zone the empress.

I don’t especially fancy the idea of mono blue though.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I have decided to throw her the smoldering heap of my Leovold deck just as a card.
    Ahhh! That's what this line meant! I got confused by the missing 'in', but mostly cause I'm pretty positive Leovold is banned... Sorry about the confusion on my part!

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Ahhh! That's what this line meant! I got confused by the missing 'in', but mostly cause I'm pretty positive Leovold is banned... Sorry about the confusion on my part!
    Yeah, Leovold is banned if you're an "official banlist" sort of group. Lots of people aren't, though (we've got a guy who runs Chaos Orb on the regular).

Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yeah. Freaking Leo. I built the deck while he was legal apparently with the same gameplan plenty of others did. I just happened to not play commander for two or three months. When I sat down with the deck I learned of the ban, never once getting to try it. I swapped in Mimeoplasm, and I’m just now updating the deck. Meh. At least we have this new guy in these colors.

Thread Information