Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minotaur Tribal (AKA Toot toot!)

Minotaur Tribal (AKA Toot toot!)

Hello TheSource

You may have seen this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggOcNE3-t0

It features a hilarious deck which harnesses the raw power of Didgeridoo, Artificial Evolution, and a couple of minotaur bois.

Here's the original list, which I based my (arguably) upgraded list upon:

3 Griselbrand
    4 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

4 Show and Tell
    2 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    4 Arcane Adaptation
    4 Didgeridoo
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Artificial Evolution
    4 Force of Will
    1 Intuition
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce

2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 City of Traitors
    6 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest

Sideboard (15)

2 Defense Grid
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1 Wipe Away
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Intuition
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flusterstorm

Now, you might ask yourself "but self, how can you improve upon this greatness!?". Well that's where our friend Boros F̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶s̶h̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ Battleshaper comes into play. My highly trained team of professionals (shoutout to "kinda") also tweaked some of the other aspects of the deck to maximize both hilarity and consistency.

Here's the list we came up with:

3 Griselbrand

4 Show and Tell
    1 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    1 Arcane Adaptation
    1 Blood Moon
    4 Didgeridoo
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Artificial Evolution
    4 Force of Will
    1 Intuition
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Spell Pierce

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 City of Traitors
    3 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

Sideboard (15)

1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Boros Battleshaper
    1 Blood Moon
    2 Sneak Attack
    2 Abrade
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Kozilek's Return

I played this deck in the GP Seattle side event on Saturday, which had over 100 players, but was still capped to 3 rounds.

Here were my matchups and results:

Round 1: Goblin Charbelcher

Game 1:
    My opening hand was Force of Will, Flusterstorm, Fetchland, Artificial Evolution, Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn, Brainstorm, Island. I figured it was not a terrible start, since I only needed the fabled Didgeridoo in order to TOOT TOOT my way to victory. I won the die roll and led with Island and passed the turn. My opponent proceeded to reveal his hand with land grant, and I saw he was on the empty the warrens plan, he proceeded to get storm count up to 5 then cast Empty the warrens with exact mana to cast it. I flusterstormed every single copy. Better lucky than good eh? A couple of turns go by and I drew a show and tell to cheat the 15/15 Emrakul, the Minotaur into play. GG.

Game 2:
    I obviously boarded in echoing truth, kozilek's return, and pithing needle. I don't have notes for this game, but he mulligan'd to 5 and kept a hand that didn't do anything immediately. I countered his first attempt to cast a goblin charbelcher, then I drew a show and tell to cheat in Emrakul, the Minotaur to end the game.

Toot Toot counter: 0

Round 2: Jund Depths (sort of)

Game 1:
    Opponent kept a somewhat slow hand, preferring to establish some lock pieces (chalice of the void, exploration/wasteland, life from the loam) rather than go for the fast as possible 20/20 marit lage token. On the turn he had the mana to create the 20/20, I was able to use an artifically evolved didgeridoo into cheat in a Griseltaur, draw 14 cards, cast show and tell, my opponent says "resolves" and I called a judge to quickly get a ruling to reassure what I was about to do would, in fact, "fuck my opponent up". Since he had already stated show and tell resolved, I put blood moon into play. He was unable to respond and sat there taking horns to the face for a couple of turns until he was defeated.

Game 2:
    OMG OMG OMG it's Boros F̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶s̶h̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ Battleshaper's time to shine! I board in all 4 of the glorious minotaurs and the extra blood moon, boarding out Intuition, 1 Artificial Evolution, 1 Preordain, and 2 flusterstorm. My opponent opted to go for a faster kill this game, getting his Thespian's Stage and Dark Depths as soon as possible. It was already too late though, as I had cast a turn 1 didgeridoo which went relatively unnoticed. I had assembled the greatest combo, and the ultimate foil to a 20/20 flying indestructible token. On the 3rd turn of this game I used lotus petal + 2 islands to use Didgeridoo to put a Boros Battleshaper into play and pass the turn. My opponent, of course, ignored the stupid 5/5 creature I had just lovingly placed onto the battlefield, and proceeded to make his 20/20. On my opponent's turn he had a puzzled look and said "attack for 20?" I replied "Hang on a sec, you enter combat step and that creature can't attack this turn". He picked up the Mighty Minotaur, read it. Set it back down. Picked it up again, read it, said "That's fucking awesome!" then set it back down and passed the turn. On my turn I drew another Boros Battleshaper, entered combat, delcared his 20/20 couldn't block, and attacked for 5. My opponent then read Boros Battleshaper a 3rd time, then took 5 damage. I proceeded to play my 3rd land and put the second Boros Battleshaper into play. Two turns later and I had defeated my opponent.

Toot Toot counter: 2

Round 3: Storm
    I asked my opponent if he'd like to split or if he wanted to play it out. He asked to play it out.

Game 1:
    I don't have a lot of notes for this match, but in game 1 my opponent stormed me out pretty quickly and I lost.

Game 2:
    I boarded in echoing truth, kozilek's return, 2 surgical extraction; boarding out 1 Preordain, 1 Intuition, 1 Blood Moon, and 1 Arcane Adaptation. Like I said I don't have a lot of notes from this matchup, but I didgeridoo'd in an emrakul and proceeded to win from there.

Game 3:
    It seemed like every time I was about to draw a fatty, my opponent made me discard my show and tell or abrupt decay'd my didgeridoo. A couple of turns of draw-go go by, and he assembled enough cards in hand to go duress me to see if the coast is clear (which I brainstorm'd in response to hide my echoing truth on top of my deck) then go for an empty the warrens for 14 goblins. I drew the echoing truth on my turn and dispatched all of the goblin tokens. Two turns later he cast "dark ritual, rite of flame, ad nauseum" with a couple of lands untapped. I responded by surgical extracting his lion's eye diamonds, as I thought he would have a very difficult time going off without them. Turns out he had enough lands and lotus petals to storm me out with a tendrils of agony for the win.

Toot Toot counter: 3

Overall record: 2-1

Prizes won: 200 prize tickets and the pride of winning a game of legacy with Boros Battleshaper and Didgeridoo.

This deck was very silly and fun, and I did much better than I expected to. Shout out to Vince AKA PleasantKenobi for playing the original list and posting an entertaining video to youtube.

Re: Minotaur Tribal (AKA Toot toot!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    Game 2:
    OMG OMG OMG it's Boros F̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶s̶h̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ Battleshaper's time to shine! I board in all 4 of the glorious minotaurs and the extra blood moon
    Excellent work!

We have one more report to post from another team nonsense affiliated individual...he started 3-1 in the main event at the GP with minotaurs...stay tuned.

Fantastic. This is the most excited I’ve been to see a deck progress in years.

Does anyone have a link to the old Minotaur tribal deck that took legacy by storm a decade ago?

this looks fun to play, even if it is a more complicated version of SnS

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Fantastic. This is the most excited I’ve been to see a deck progress in years.

Does anyone have a link to the old Minotaur tribal deck that took legacy by storm a decade ago?
    Thunderbluff?

The natural progression here I think is moving Boros battleshaper to the maindeck and putting goblin lackey in the sb.

Minotaur Tribal (AKA Toot toot!)

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    The natural progression here I think is moving Boros battleshaper to the maindeck and putting goblin lackey in the sb.
    Maybe winstigator too. If they can't present a blocker you get to cheat in two grisels into play at the same time.

Gp main event report the other guy posted:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...74#post1045174

Firesong and sunspeaker combo really nice with chain of plasma. Deal 3 for every card you discard. 6 cards in hand equals 21 damage

Sorry.
    Fire song + chain of plasma + 5 cards in hand = 21 damage

Cast chain target self
    (3 damage to opponent)
    Discard to copy to self
    (6)
    Discard to copy to self
    (9)
    Discard to copy to self
    (12)
    Discard to copy to self
    (15)
    Discard to copy to opponent
    (21 damage to opponent total)

Quote Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
    Sorry.
    Fire song + chain of plasma + 5 cards in hand = 21 damage

Cast chain target self
    (3 damage to opponent)
    Discard to copy to self
    (6)
    Discard to copy to self
    (9)
    Discard to copy to self
    (12)
    Discard to copy to self
    (15)
    Discard to copy to opponent
    (21 damage to opponent total)
    Chain isn't white sadly.

I ordered a playset of didgeridoo...toot toot!

Chain isn't white sadly.
    Lightning helix is both...

Target opponent, gain 6 life, does 9? damage.

EDIT: I think it only does 6 damage.

Goblin Lackey even into Changeling Titan is a thing.

EDIT: I've been aggressively testing a list that uses Goblin Lackey and Changeling Titan, in conjunction with the Show and Tell package, Didgeridoo and Mishra's Factory. Lackey, at worst, drops the Titan into play without any prerequisite in Evolution or Adaptation; it's a must-answer. Didgeridoo, in the same light, is a must-answer, as well. Both of these cards can cause serious issues for opponents on the draw.

That being said, I do think Daze belongs in this deck as a four-of. The ability to drop a turn-one Lackey or Didgeridoo and having a free counter to protect either is very important. Living the true dream of having a turn-one Lackey into a Daze for a T1 removal spell or Deathrite Shaman to ensure a T2 Changeling Titan or Artificial Evolution into something insane is very, very good.
    Last edited by Michael Keller; 05-25-2018 at 09:12 AM.

This is the list I've been testing:

Didgeridoom
    4 Didgeridoo
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Artificial Evolution
    1 Arcane Adaptation
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Griselbrand
    2 Changeling Titan

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    2 Mishra's Factory
    1 Kher Keep
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain

Sideboard
    4 Boros Battleshaper
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Misdirection
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Stronghold Gambit

Here are some card choices/explanations:

Goblin Lackey: I think this card effectively acts as Didgeridoo five through eight, however, it's not uncommon one would expect it to live past turn one. Daze is an important part of the deck, because you can protect Evolution with the spell on the stack to ensure you drop a broken creature into play.

Daze: Key part of the deck. The idea is to gain an early advantage by sticking a Didgeridoo or Lackey on turn one. When the second mana hits and you try casting Evolution, you don't want to tie up resources. Daze ensures you can do this by countering a spell for free.

Changeling Titan: Didgeridoo by itself without a means to cheat a fatty into play is sad. You really want to take some advantage of the card, and there are intrinsic synergies that exist with the Titan in both Lackey and Didgeridoo. Sure, a two-for-one is never a good deal if an opponent can kill a creature in response, but realistically no one is going to let a Lackey survive a turn if they can help it.

Kher Keep: Keeps the blockers flowing and helps with the championing of Titan. If the deck durdles, which by its nature it can certainly do like most Show and Tell variants, amassing an army of blockers is never a bad deal.

Jace and Blood Moon: Win conditions in their own right. The deck may need alternative ways around certain situations, and with Ancient Tomb slamming a turn-three Jace is enough to warrant a response by any opponent. The same is true for Blood Moon, which may arguably be the greatest one-card combo in the history of Magic. Also a key way to shut down Karakas with Needle in the board (that also stops Jace and or Liliana activations).

Factory: Helps with championing and buffers an attack when nothing else can be done. Since Didgeridoo is also colorless, hands with Titan and Factory and or Tomb can, at minimum, give you a solid play. (You do have to activate the Factory to do this, but it's still a play and the card itself is an attacker.)

Battleshaper: A very underrated and powerful Minotaur, even with Show and Tell. If you can slam this card on the table against decks like Show and Tell and Dark Depths, it becomes an incredibly daunting task for those decks to kill this guy. His ability is criminally underrated, and slamming him turn two off a Didgeridoo is enough to get the job done against aggro-control variants.

Misdirection: Good against Hymn and Decay decks to protect Didgeridoo and or Lackey. Also has utility against Depths, which leverages discard to the extreme.

Gambit: Turn-two Griselbrand against Lands or Storm is very powerful. It's a hedge that can also put cards like Boros Battleshaper into play against opposing reanimation strategies.

Omissions: I don't like Lotus Petal in this deck. I think Lackey and Didgeridoo are solid enough turn one plays that warrant a response instead of all-in with Petal on turn one with Tomb. If you have a turn-two Show, you have an Island with Daze, as well. This is really more than enough. I also put the basic Mountain in the deck to help against Wasteland and or Path/Ghost Quarter. Sometimes, this deck enjoys having an extra land or two in play. I also thought about Desolate Lighthouse.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    This is the list I've been testing:

Didgeridoom
    4 Didgeridoo
    4 Show and Tell
    4 Artificial Evolution
    1 Arcane Adaptation
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Griselbrand
    2 Changeling Titan

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    2 Mishra's Factory
    1 Kher Keep
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Mountain

Sideboard
    4 Boros Battleshaper
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Misdirection
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Stronghold Gambit

Here are some card choices/explanations:

Goblin Lackey: I think this card effectively acts as Didgeridoo five through eight, however, it's not uncommon one would expect it to live past turn one. Daze is an important part of the deck, because you can protect Evolution with the spell on the stack to ensure you drop a broken creature into play.

Daze: Key part of the deck. The idea is to gain an early advantage by sticking a Didgeridoo or Lackey on turn one. When the second mana hits and you try casting Evolution, you don't want to tie up resources. Daze ensures you can do this by countering a spell for free.

Changeling Titan: Didgeridoo by itself without a means to cheat a fatty into play is sad. You really want to take some advantage of the card, and there are intrinsic synergies that exist with the Titan in both Lackey and Didgeridoo. Sure, a two-for-one is never a good deal if an opponent can kill a creature in response, but realistically no one is going to let a Lackey survive a turn if they can help it.

Kher Keep: Keeps the blockers flowing and helps with the championing of Titan. If the deck durdles, which by its nature it can certainly do like most Show and Tell variants, amassing an army of blockers is never a bad deal.

Jace and Blood Moon: Win conditions in their own right. The deck may need alternative ways around certain situations, and with Ancient Tomb slamming a turn-three Jace is enough to warrant a response by any opponent. The same is true for Blood Moon, which may arguably be the greatest one-card combo in the history of Magic. Also a key way to shut down Karakas.

Factory: Helps with championing and buffers an attack when nothing else can be done. Since Didgeridoo is also colorless, hands with Titan and Factory and or Tomb can, at minimum, give you a solid play. (You do have to activate the Factory to do this, but it's still a play and the card itself is an attacker.)

Battleshaper: A very underrated and powerful Minotaur, even with Show and Tell. If you can slam this card on the table against decks like Show and Tell and Dark Depths, it becomes an incredibly daunting task for those decks to kill this guy. His ability is criminally underrated, and slamming him turn two off a Didgeridoo is enough to get the job done against aggro-control variants.

Misdirection: Good against Hymn and Decay decks to protect Didgeridoo and or Lackey. Also has utility against Depths, which leverages discard to the extreme.

Gambit: Turn-two Griselbrand against Lands or Storm is very powerful. It's a hedge that can also put cards like Boros Battleshaper into play against opposing reanimation strategies.

Omissions: I don't like Lotus Petal in this deck. I think Lackey and Didgeridoo are solid enough turn one plays that warrant a response instead of all-in with Petal on turn one with Tomb. If you have a turn-two Show, you have an Island with Daze, as well. This is really more than enough. I also put the basic Mountain in the deck to help against Wasteland and or Path/Ghost Quarter. Sometimes, this deck enjoys having an extra land or two in play. I also thought about Desolate Lighthouse.

Thoughts?

I kind of like that you're not substituting sneak attack with digeridoo (keeping the 10-12 cantrip shell) but rather tried to make it a turn one deck with SnT backup.
    Sounds good as a whole and gives it a bit more reason to be. How has it performed?

It's been doing good so far. Two incredibly strong plays on the first turn are, in fact, Lackey and Didgeridoo. They are must-answers and accelerators. Show and Tell becomes even more of an "Oops, I win!" card when playing with both of these, because they need to be answered. The key at that moment then becomes Artificial Evolution. However, you can't always rely on that to help, which is why Changeling Titan and Show and Tell are stronger in this version of the deck because they augment choices that all fit the larger schematic and synergies of the deck.

For example:

Lackey with Evolution.
    Lackey with Titan.
    Lackey with Adaptation.
    Evolution with Didgeridoo.
    Adaptation with Didgeridoo.
    Show and Tell with Emrakul.
    Show and Tell with Griselbrand.

Each of those combinations can be potent and game-ending if left unchecked. The goal of the deck is to make it more robust with interactions, as opposed to going all-in like Sneak and Show would using either Show or Sneak as win-cons. This deck the way it's built wouldn't have more hands that are a bust in that regards, because there are other cards in the deck that work just fine on their own.

Reliance on Evolution without actually playing true Minotaur (tribal) makes it weaker without a way to evolve it. This is why the wealth is spread, and honestly, since the deck is relatively novel in its presentation an opponent - skilled as they may be - might be confused what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    It's been doing good so far. Two incredibly strong plays on the first turn are, in fact, Lackey and Didgeridoo. They are must-answers and accelerators. Show and Tell becomes even more of an "Oops, I win!" card when playing with both of these, because they need to be answered. The key at that moment then becomes Artificial Evolution. However, you can't always rely on that to help, which is why Changeling Titan and Show and Tell are stronger in this version of the deck because they augment choices that all fit the larger schematic and synergies of the deck.

For example:

Lackey with Evolution.
    Lackey with Titan.
    Lackey with Adaptation.
    Evolution with Didgeridoo.
    Adaptation with Didgeridoo.
    Show and Tell with Emrakul.
    Show and Tell with Griselbrand.

Each of those combinations can be potent and game-ending if left unchecked. The goal of the deck is to make it more robust with interactions, as opposed to going all-in like Sneak and Show would using either Show or Sneak as win-cons. This deck the way it's built wouldn't have more hands that are a bust in that regards, because there are other cards in the deck that work just fine on their own.

Reliance on Evolution without actually playing true Minotaur (tribal) makes it weaker without a way to evolve it. This is why the wealth is spread, and honestly, since the deck is relatively novel in its presentation an opponent - skilled as they may be - might be confused what to do.
    Not all heroes wear capes. Good work! I figured goblin lackey would be a sb card, interesting to see you md it. Any plans to try it in a tournament?

Glad boros battleshaper is still a powerhouse. Awesome that you're testing this list out my dude! Didgerdoo is the real deal.

Was planning to play this following tournament. Even more psyched now with the inclusion of lackey. Good job Michael!

Thread Information