Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SqueeChain

SqueeChain

Hello TheSource,

I finally got the time to test out a new brew of food chain utilizing Squee, the Immortal. I've decided to create a different thread because it's a significantly different take on the deck compared to the BUG version. I took this list to a 3-1 finish at a local event, taking 1st place overall in the 9 player tournament. My matches were Miracles (1-2), Czech Pile (2-0), RG lands (2-0), and Storm (2-1).

Here's the list I played:

2 Squee, the Immortal
    3 eternal scourge
    4 Imperial recruiter
    2 Walking ballista
    1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
    4 food chain
    2 elvish spirit guide
    4 lotus petal
    4 chalice of the void
    1 sylvan library
    3 blood moon
    1 Magus of the Moon
    3 commune with the gods
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

4 ancient tomb
    3 city of traitors
    3 taiga
    4 wooded foothills
    4 forest
    3 mountain

Sideboard:

2 Choke
    1 Defense Grid
    2 Trinisphere
    3 Pyrokinesis
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Kozilek's Return
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Reclamation Sage

First off I'd like to say that I don't think the sideboard is right. I sort of last-minute put the sideboard together trying to cover all my bases, but I didn't have any graveyard hate cards. My rationale for the sideboards goes as follows: Choke for miracles, czech pile, grixis delver, etc. It's better than blood moon against a couple of decks which play lots of islands and cantrips (such as miracles and sneak&show). Defense grid was supposed to be another vexing shusher but I apparently only own 1. I figure you basically have to resolve food chain and this is one way to make that happen. Trinisphere is for elves, storm, dredge. Pyrokinesis is sort of a catch-all to buy time against aggressive decks like delver. Kozilek's return is anti tokens, dredge, elves, D&T, and it can also kill delvers and deathrite shamans. I think I'd bump the count up to 2, cutting a pyrokinesis for one. Phrexian Revoker and Spyglass are generic outs to activated abilities, Ancient Grudge gets rid of phyrexian revokers, equipment, etc. I could probably cut 1 to make room for something else. Rec sage is a tutorable enchantment/artifact hate card.

For sideboard changes, I'd cut defense grid for another vexing shusher, cut an ancient grudge for a relic of progenitus, cut 1 pyrokinesis for 1 kozilek's return, and possibly cut sorcerous spyglass for a 2nd phyrexian revoker. Everything else seemed good.

For mainboard changes, I think I'd cut a city of traitors for another Taiga. Chandra was difficult to cast a couple of times because I didn't have RR, and more colored sources helps with Vexing Shusher as well.

I didn't take good enough notes to have a "play by play" sort of report, but here's the gist of what happened in the games.

Round 1: Miracles (1-2)

Game 1: lost
    I got a chalice and an ensnaring bridge into play, but wasn't able to empty my hand every turn because of a back to basics, so I ended up dying to monastery mentor tokens because I had 1 card in hand and he cast 2 spells to pump them. My opponent had 2 counterspells, snapcast counterspell, 2-3 force of will. Couldn't really do much about all of that countermagic.
    Game 2: Won
    I combo'd off very fast here and he couldn't stop me.
    Game 3: Lost
    Got to see opponent's hand with a sorcerous spyglass turn 1, naming Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Opponent had force of will and counterspell in hand that I had to play around. Vexing Shusher would have won me the game, but I was stuck on a single taiga for my red and green sources of mana (I cast it off a lotus petal). I had a choke in hand but never got enough mana to cast it and make it uncounterable. I died a pretty quick death to monastery mentor tokens.

Round 2: Czech Pile (2-0)

Game 1:
    Opponent cast turn 1 deathrite, I cast turn 1 chalice at x=1, opponent cast turn 2 baleful strix, I cast turn 2 blood moon. Opponent didn't cast anymore spells for the rest of the game. I killed baleful strix and got a chandra in play, he scooped.
    Game 2:
    Opponent didn't draw any counterspells. I combo'd off with food chain I think turn 3. My opener was something like ancient tomb, forest, food chain, chandra, chalice of the void, wooded foothills, eternal scourge. I topdecked a Purphoros and won that way, which was pretty sweet.

Round 3: RG lands (2-0)
    Both game 1 and Game 2 I had ensnaring bridge in play on turn 2. In the second game my opponent never drew krosan grip and I was able to blood moon his lands so I basically bought a ton of turns, eventually drew into food chain combo for the win.

Round 4: Storm (2-1)
    Game 1:
    Opponent stormed me out with 12 goblins, I had food chain + eternal scourge in play at the end of the game, just never drew an imperial recruiter or ballista to seal the deal.
    Game 2:
    I combo'd off faster than he did. Don't remember much about this game, I think I got a chalice on x=1 and did food chain combo on turn 3 or so.
    Game 3:
    Game 3 was some pretty crazy back and forth. I had a mull to 6 which was food chain, eternal scourge, phyrexian revoker, ancient tomb, chalice of the void, Ensnaring Bridge (I only left in 1 copy, but shouldn't have left it in at all, oops) with a forest on top of my library for the scry. Opponent thoughtseized my chalice of the void. I had a turn 1 phyrexian revoker naming Lion's Eye Diamond. Opponent thoughtseized my Food Chain. I cast eternal scourge the next turn and bashed for 2. Opponent casts gitaxian probe on his turn and passes back. I topdeck another chalice, cast it at x=1 and bash for 5, taking my opponent down to 4. During my end step he cracks a fetch and echoing truth's my Chalice, putting him at 3. On his turn makes 8 goblins with empty the warrens, casting LED Lotus petal Dark ritual Empty the Warrens. On my turn I bash with Eternal Scourge and he chump blocks it with 1 goblin. His turn he bashes with 5 goblins, putting me to 11. My turn I draw another eternal scourge and cast it and re-cast chalice for x=1, kill another goblin by attacking with eternal scourge. He's down to 6 goblins left, bashes in with 3 of them and I block one with eternal scourge, taking 2 damage. I draw a squee and cast it, and my opponent scoops. He didn't have enough resources to storm me for enough damage before I just kill him with my attackers.
    Last edited by Jakobian1010; 05-06-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Re: SqueeChain

I feel like Trinisphere is more desirable than Blood Moon pre-board since you want to be able to combo through Daze/Force of Will.

Daze isn't an issue at all since the deck operates at 3 mana and plays sol lands. Force of will is an issue, but most decks that play it also have to counter blood moon or they're out of the game anyway, so while trinisphere can directly interact with force of will, blood moon also interacts with it in a way. The issue comes up when they have multiple Force of will + counterspell/spell pierce, etc. In that case trinisphere helps just as much as blood moon in that they will force of will trinisphere if they have it. The only difference is if they topdeck a force after you stick the blood moon/trinisphere. If blood moon hits play they're effectively out of the game and you can simply win with shitty beatdown strats.

Honestly I think trinisphere is one of the weaker parts of the sideboard, but I know it will shore up so many matches that this deck could easily lose to (Elves, Storm, Dredge).

I did struggle to determine which prison pieces should be mainboard and which should be sideboard. Ensnaring bridge might be better sideboard so trinisphere can be mainboard.

I definitely like blood moon mainboard because it's a prison piece that you can get with commune with the gods, and it's a must-counter vs a lot of decks.

Feb 2017
    Sweden

Goblin Food Chain

I’m not sure where to post this so I’m going to try it in the Food Chain thread and the newly created Squee Chain thread.

This weekend I played a league final in Stockholm where the 16 highest placing players during a season played off to crown a champion. I tend to play decks like Aluren, Lands or Grixis Control/Czech Pile but decided to celebrate the printing of Squee, the Immortal with a spicy Goblin Food Chain list. Who needs Goblin Recruiter anyways?

The deck:

Main deck:
    4 Goblin Lackey
    3 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sledder
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    4 Goblin Warchief
    1 Goblin Chieftain
    2 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    2 Squee, the Immortal
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Lightning Crafter
    1 Goblin Settler
    2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    4 Food Chain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Wooded Foothills
    3 Taiga
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Mountain
    1 Pendelhaven
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard:
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Tin Street Hooligan
    2 Blood Moon
    2 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Vexing Shusher
    3 Thorn of Amethyst

I decided to play this deck without proper testing and made some flaws in my deckbuilding. Adjustments that I’d make now is to cut the Blood Moons in the Sideboard to include removal such as Pyrokinesis. I’d also cut a Goblin Warchief for a Sylvan Library in the main as Sylvan Library is just an amazing card and can do multiple things for a deck like this.

This deck has a lot of infinites besides Food Chain and Squee, the Immortal. With that combination of cards in play you can use Goblin Sledder to pump your team by an infinite amount, use Goblin Sharpshooter and a sac outlet like Goblin Sledder or Skirk Prospector to shoot as many times as you wish or do the good old Lightning Crafter + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker infinite.

The appeal for me to play this deck was that it has a lot of different gears. You can play it as a slightly nerfed Vials Goblin deck that is slower, less synergistic and less consistent but have the option of doing heavy combos to finish games that might be hard to close otherwise. Having a combo in a deck like this gives you a better chance against faster combo decks also as you have a chance to combo out before they do.

So the pairings for the first round of the tournament comes up so I walk to the table to face of versus my first opponent!

Round 1.
    Czech Pile.
    G1: I keep a pretty slow hand which punish me very hard! My opponent plays a turn 1 Deathrite Shaman, followed up by a turn 2 Hymn to tourach (hitting my best cards) and then pondering to hit a turn 3 Hymn as well. I get stranded with only lands in my hand and he lands a turn 4 Jace. After two turns of him fatesealing and adding more pressure I scoop.

Sideboard: I brind in my relic of progenitus, 2 Choke and 2 Blood Moons for this matchup as I think that all of those cards are quite excellent.

G2: This hand is better for sure. I have a turn one Lackey, a Choke and several pretty reasonable cards. He bolts my Lackey turn one with Badlands, plays a swamp turn two and when I get to my third turn to jam Choke he lets it resolve, plays a wasteland and plays a Liliana, the Last hope. I start playing ringleaders and other hasty goblins but find myself in an ocean of removal and eventually a Jace. I die to a lethal swing by 14 zombie tokens after a long fight. Had all the pieces in my hand to kill him if I would’ve topdecked a Food chain but none was found!

0-1

Round2.
    Lands.
    G1: I’ve actually never seen this person pilot this deck so I was excited to see how the match would go. He starts by playing Mox Diamond, Grove and a Molten Vortex turn one. I realize that my early goblins will die pretty fast if I try to play them so I play land go. He start to pressure my life total pretty hard and by t3 I’m at 13 life with no spells cast. I take my turn, fetch and play my Food Chain. He continues to shoot me with the Vortex but makes a smart decision to keep mana up to see if he needs to shoot any creatures. I take my turn 4, play Squee, the Immortal, along with 4 other goblins. Goblin Sledder, Warchief, Matron for Chieftain and Chieftain. I loop Squee together with Sledder and infinite mana to make my team +1000/+1000 which kills him.

Sideboard: I bring in my 2 Surgical Extraction, 2 Blood Moon and 1 Relic of Progenitus.

G2: He has a very explosive start and goes: Mox Diamond, discard a fetch, Mox Diamond, discard a Maze of Ith, Thespian Stage and Gamble. His Gamble finds a Life from the Loam which is discarded. He passes the turn and I snap off my Surgical Extraction. He reveals his hand to show a lonely Krosan Grip. I search through his deck to see that he has no more graveyard synergies left in his deck.
    I play a turn 1 Skirk Prospector and pass the turn. He draws a card, plays Grove of the Burnwillows and passes. I untap, draw my card, plays a land and use Prospector for mana to play a Blood Moon. (I did this to bait his Krosan grip to resolve a Food Chain and win within 1-2 turns.) He does not fall for the bait but seem to be search for a Dark Depths instead to get a ”free” Marit Lage by playing Grip on my Blood Moon with it in play. What ends up happening instead is me jamming Goblins and killing him over a couple of turns. He drew his Vortex but due to the Loams being exiled it was too little and too late.

1-1

Round 3:
    UW Blade.
    G1: He seems to be quite shocked to see me on a Goblin deck and our game one is a quite bad match actually. I do not play a single ”strong” goblin card and he doesn’t find good ways to stabilze so a few small Goblins made it all the way.

Sideboard: I’m scared of certain artifacts in his deck so I look at my Krosan Grips, Tin Street Hooligans and Chokes.

G2: This match is more to my opponents favor. I draw all lands besides 4 in my deck and my opponent gets to chain cantrips, use Jace a lot and presents a lot of different threats that I could simply not deal with.

G3: For the first two matches my opponent did not see Food Chain at all, which resultet in this game being very funny. The first three turns consists of us playing cantrips/threats, pretty standard Blade vs any fair deck really. Turn 4 he plays his Jitte, equips it to his Stoneforge Mystic and attack. I say ”no blocks”, he puts 2 counters on his Jitte and looks quite pleased. I untap and jam Food Chain which results in a lot of Goblins entering the battlefield (starting with Tin Street Hooligan to remove his Jitte). After a bit of Ringleading and Tutoring I put together Kiki-Jiki + Lightning Crafter combo, present an infinite damage loop which he scoops to.

2-1

Round 4:
    Elves!
    This is one of the opponents that I did not want to play against. I realized as we sat down that I have no cards in my sideboard against him and that his primary game plan is faster than mine.
    G1: He does what Elves does best and kills me very hard on turn 3. I present some goblins but I really had no chance to win this game with his draw.

Sideboard: Not a single card!

G2: I can’t remember how this match started but after 4 turns I have managed to Gempalm some important creatures away and manage to get in a hasty Goblin Sharpshooter, which wins me the game.

G3: We both have pretty good hands but my opponent is missing a way to actually kill me (Natural Order, GSZ or just Behemoth). The first two turns consists of him drawing a lot of cards and building a board, I’m doing the same thing. Turn three he does a small glimpse that doesn’t find too much action. I play a Warchief, sitting with my Sharpshooter in hand, hoping to get one more turn. My opponent does the same thing again. A bigger glimpse turn. No action found. I get to untap, play Sharpshooter and shoot down 7 creatures. On his turn he doesn’t play any more creatures and just pass the turn back. I resolve a Food Chain and Chain together a win.

3-1.

Round 5:
    I’m paired up against a friend and we decide to ID into top8.

Quarterfinals:
    Elves!
    I’m thinking ”oh no not again” as we start game 1.
    G1: I keep a pretty slow hand that has the potential to combo turn 4. My opponent combos on turn 3 however, hitting me for 20+ damage, which is way too much for my Matron and two Goblin tokens to deal with.

G2: Feeling the match slip away from me I draw my seven and see a lot of things that I like. Prospector, Food Chain and other goodies. Our match is a quite grindy one, it gets so grindy that I actually get to cast Lightning Crafter. He plays a Craterhoof from his hand and hits me for 10 (it required him to tap his team to cast it so no other creature was able to attack). With the ”Trample” part of Craterhoof gone I feel like I’m in great shape. I play land number 5 and hardcast Kiki-Jiki. I do not have the infinite combo but I have a mini machinegun. He hits with Craterhoof the turn after which I block with Ringleader and finish off with Lightning Crafter. I make a copy of Lightning Crafter, champion Kiki-Jiki and shoot down a Deathrite Shaman. EoT I get my Kiki-Jiki back and my opponent realizes that this match is over.

G3: I get destroyed turn 3. My opponent drew a near perfect Elves hand and he maneuvered it very well! My opponent also always held decay mana up so I realized that I was in pretty deep trouble! He wins with a big swing and knocks me out of the tournament.

This deck was a lot of fun but it needs fixing. I’m currently looking at removing Vexing Shusher from the sideboard along with a Krosan Grip to add Pyrokinesis. I’m also looking at the possibility to shave a Goblin Warchief to add a Sylvan Library to the mix. It seems like a good pick up for this type of deck. Finding the right pieces is important and I think that it would’ve helped me during the tournament!

I am really curious about food goblin list.
    I love goblin and i love food chain.

I am going to birminham. Maybe i will try this on side event because the list is not finish.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Would the 2 Squee/3 Scourge split be any better as 4 Squee/1 Scourge (or something involving 4 Squee) with 4 Chrome Mox over 4 Lotus Petal? Obviously your Mox turns into a Lotus Petal if you ever cast Squee, but it has the potential to work for a few turns at least before you actually get around to casting him.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Undomian View Post
    Would the 2 Squee/3 Scourge split be any better as 4 Squee/1 Scourge (or something involving 4 Squee) with 4 Chrome Mox over 4 Lotus Petal? Obviously your Mox turns into a Lotus Petal if you ever cast Squee, but it has the potential to work for a few turns at least before you actually get around to casting him.
    I also highly considered this too. Eternal scourge being colorless opens you up to winning with no red sources (it happened in one of my games) and also opens up a better secondary beatdown plan (which also happened in one of my games). At most I would run 3 squee 2 scourge if I switched to some number of chrome moxes. Chalice on 0 is also something to consider, so don't necessarily want to replace the spirit guides either.

I am intrigued by squee + squee + Purphoros interactions for long grindy games too. You get to pay 1RR to deal 2 damage to opponent basically.

@Goblins list

Have you considered a 1-of Grenzo as a tutor target with matron? He can be infinite/jnfinite with food chain/squee combo. Not sure if that's relevant or not since I haven't played the deck. I talked with a friend and he said he wants to try that in a similar goblin-centric list.

The list looks awesome but I think the inability to consistently get Food Chain into play is its Achilles heel in its current form.

The deck is super geared to the combo, even more so than the BUG version, and it also lacks the cantrip shell found in the BUG builds. Commune is not as strong as brainstorm. It lacks countermagic so your first Food Chain even if you find one might not even hit play before getting countered.

It’s a cool deck but I think it’s missing a piece, something to get it Food Chain more consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    The list looks awesome but I think the inability to consistently get Food Chain into play is its Achilles heel in its current form.

The deck is super geared to the combo, even more so than the BUG version, and it also lacks the cantrip shell found in the BUG builds. Commune is not as strong as brainstorm. It lacks countermagic so your first Food Chain even if you find one might not even hit play before getting countered.

It’s a cool deck but I think it’s missing a piece, something to get it Food Chain more consistently.
    True...library helps here but there is only 1 md. Maybe cut a bridge or scourge for 1 or 2 more library (or other way to help find chain).

I've considered eternal witness to get a countered food chain back also. Probably worth testing. The prison pieces buy enough time to naturally draw food chain it seems.

I also assume most decks won't leave in much removal so vexing shushee will be very strong vs blue decks.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    @Goblins list

Have you considered a 1-of Grenzo as a tutor target with matron? He can be infinite/jnfinite with food chain/squee combo. Not sure if that's relevant or not since I haven't played the deck. I talked with a friend and he said he wants to try that in a similar goblin-centric list.
    you still need a way to generate mana if you want to use the ability. otherwise you just make a very very large grenzo.
    -rob

Just wanted to throw it out there that Goblin Bombardment and Altar of Dementia both go infinite with squee and either Food Chain or Aluren. I had a pretty allin list I was tinkering with—I’ll throw up something from memory since I don’t have the list handy. It was ok and even got some turn 2 wins, but would need to be further tuned.

Something like this:

4 squee
    4 imperial recruiter
    4 recruiter of the guard
    1 academy rector
    1 walking ballista
    4 food chain
    4 aluren
    4 goblin bombardment
    3 altar of dementia
    4 chalice of the void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 elvish spirit guides
    Landbase with 4 ancient tomb and 1-3 city of traitors (cavern on human was good too)

The turn 2 win would look something like this. Ancient tomb, altar of dementia. T2 aluren or academy rector off fast mana (sac rector to the altar to get aluren). Cast a recruiter for squee or have a squee in hand and mill them out. With food chain it’s realy annoying online if they make you play it out. You need to make enough mana to cast squee enough times to mill them out with the altar.

In general I found Chrome Mox to be great with squee even though it stops producing mana once squee is cast from under it. At that point you don’t need the mana. And of course you can pitch other things to the mox. I liked mox more than lotus petal in testing.

Maybe someone wants to tinker around with something like this—there might be something here.

I goldfished a ton of hands with 4 squee, 1 eternal scourge (instead of 2/3 split), and 4 chrome mox with 0 lotus petals. I hated it. Chrome mox was dead in hand many times, and the times I had it I only used it once, or it was only able to tap for red but I needed green mana. I think I'd rather have the lotus petals because you don't need them multiple times, and you need the flexibility of tapping for red or green with it.

It could just be that the build I'm playing doesn't lend itself nicely to chrome mox as much as other builds might, but for now I'm sticking with the lotus petals and 2/3 split of squee/eternal scourge.

Feb 2017
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanhur View Post
    I am really curious about food goblin list.
    I love goblin and i love food chain.

I am going to birminham. Maybe i will try this on side event because the list is not finish.
    I recommend you to try some games against some friends to see if you like the deck and how it plays! Birmingham side events is also a great place to test the deck and help to get more data/tech for the deck! If you decide to do that, do share your experience with the deck and what you thought worked and was clunky!

Good luck in Birmingham!

Feb 2017
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian1010 View Post
    @Goblins list

Having a huge Grenzo can be good, especially if you have a Skirk Prospector in play so that you can turn your infinite "creature only mana" into normal infinite mana thanks to Squee's flexibility to be cast from the graveyard! The deck has a lot of infinite kills already which might be enough but if your friend tries that approach it would be great to hear his experience from that and what that friend thinks could be good tweaks for the deck!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferV View Post
    I recommend you to try some games against some friends to see if you like the deck and how it plays! Birmingham side events is also a great place to test the deck and help to get more data/tech for the deck! If you decide to do that, do share your experience with the deck and what you thought worked and was clunky!

Good luck in Birmingham!
    I did some game today, its fine.
    I will play it for sure.
    It is really difficult to choose witch goblin we have to’ play, chrome mox or not

Jul 2013
    Texas

Hi, I got some camera time with my Nic Fit SqueeChain Reanimator deck last night. Both matches vs. Miracles.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259288331?t=00h54m39s

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259325412?t=01h07m08s

List:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1063189#online

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Hi, I got some camera time with my Nic Fit SqueeChain Reanimator deck last night. Both matches vs. Miracles.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259288331?t=00h54m39s

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/259325412?t=01h07m08s

List:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1063189#online
    Sweet! In order to better abuse faithless looting plus brutality plus entomb I think you want more than three total cards which are good in the gy.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Sweet! In order to better abuse faithless looting plus brutality plus entomb I think you want more than three total cards which are good in the gy.
    Well, don’t forget Therapy and Looting also work and we have 4 reanimate to bring back recruiters at a discount.

I have been playing this online and have entombed Looting a bunch of times to fix my hand if flooded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information