Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stifle Vise

Re: Stifle Vise

Its a little mana hungry, but Icy Manipulator could help for when they do sneak in threats (and its a poor mans Port and helps with 1 sided winter orb-ness).

Might be a little too cute but its a classic combo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

Trust me, I've been thinking about including Icy Manipulator...but as you say, too expensive. If I can reasonably keep them off 2 mana I can try Isochron Scepter and something like Boomerang/Gigadrowse/Remand synergies (along with Arcane lab would be excellent.) I would want to do Scepter/Chant at that point, and well, who needs that other bullshit when you win by locking them out of the game with Scepter? A set of Factories would do the trick at that point and Black Vise isn't needed. The allure of Black Vise is how fast it can be early and how a soft lock can make it a reasonable way to win (rather than a hard lock.)

Also looking at Tangle Wire.
    Approaching transcendence
    I see clarity through deprivation

-Suffocation-

My tangles just came in the mail yesterday, oddly enough. I don't know they will make the cut but they are a nice to have for a rainy day. Academy ruins is probably going to be a sure thing for mine. Just need to, you know, get it/them.

If you feel like splashing white, suppression field is mean to fetches among other things. And it has a high mana cost but Frozen Aether is the blue kismet.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.

Nov 2010

The idea is to land a Vise, then lock them under Winter Orb/Tangle Wire so they can't play spells. Let vise do it's thing and win. I really feel that Standstill supports the plan in a huge way, either by giving me extra cards, stopping my opponent from playing spells, or giving the opponent extra cards to kill them with Vise. All-around I think it's the correct approach.

I was also wondering if it should go big mana, like with Cloudpost. That would let my one land untapping give me some gas. It would support Icy Manipulator and maybe something scarier like Sundering Titan. It's a thought, not sure it's good. The choice comes down to making efficient card choices vs. ramp to get the exact effect I want but higher up on the mana scale.

-Suffocation-

I don't think this fits in your deck at all, but I just came across Teferi's Response. If only it was more general it would be a kick ass stifle!

Nov 2010

There are so many cards with exciting potential lying hidden. I mean, Predict used to be a card that was only used as a 1-of in some versions of Doomsday. Now it's a staple in Miracles. I think for this deck, Standstill is the nuts though. Strangle their mana with Orb/Wire/Wasteland/Stifle and make them desperate to crack Standstill.

I was going to actually try Icy Manipulator...but I think curving Orb into Tangle Wire does the job just fine. They can untap one land in the untap step, then the upkeep trigger of Wire happens. Hell, it makes Wire better for longer. Usually by the time Tangle Wire has only 1 counter it isn't very useful.

Other cards I might considering using:
    Gigadrowse
    Exhaustion
    Mana Vapors

-Suffocation-

Thread Information