Thread: Myr Welder + Other Exiled Cards

Myr Welder + Other Exiled Cards

So Myr Welder, right now the exact oracle text is "Myr Welder has all activated abilities of all cards exiled with it."

The core most rules question I have is: If Myr Welder gets an ability that lets it exile cards in another way, does it always gain the activated abilities of those exiled cards. For example, Synod Sanctum, Azor's Gateway, and Muse Vessel all have activated abilities that can exile cards. Those cards can have activated abilities.

Further, some more specific interactions:

• If I activate Synod Sanctum's second ability on a Myr Welder, would all cards exiled by the Myr enter the battlefield? Instants and sorceries wouldn't, so I assume they'd go to the graveyard.
    • If I get an Azor's Gateway on it, then use its ability while there are five or more different converted mana costs, do I transform the Myr?
    • Isochron Scepter, if an instant or sorcery with converted mana cost greater than 2 ended up on the Myr, could it be activated to cast the spell? The one that throws me off the most with this is the use of the phrase "the exiled card." Prototype Portal and Soul Foundry follow the same pattern.
    • Muse Vessel appears similar to Isochron Scepter in its wording, but according to gatherer, there is a ruling: "Only cards exiled as a result of the first ability can be played as a result of the second ability."
    • Whip of Erobos exiles creatures when they leave play. Would the Myr get the abilities of those exiled creatures?
    • If there were multiple Basking Rootwalla exiled on the Myr, could it use each +2/+2 ability, or only one a turn?
    • If a planeswalker were on it, could it use the loyalty abilities?

Re: Myr Welder + Other Exiled Cards

607.1. An object may have two abilities printed on it such that one of them causes actions to be taken or objects or players to be affected and the other one directly refers to those actions, objects, or players. If so, these two abilities are linked: the second refers only to actions that were taken or objects or players that were affected by the first, and not by any other ability.

607.5. If an object acquires a pair of linked abilities as part of the same effect, the abilities will be similarly linked to one another on that object even though they weren’t printed on that object. They can’t be linked to any other ability, regardless of what other abilities the object may currently have or may have had in the past.
    Example: Arc-Slogger has the ability “{R}, Exile the top ten cards of your library: Arc-Slogger deals 2 damage to any target.” Sisters of Stone Death has the ability “{B}{G}: Exile target creature blocking or blocked by Sisters of Stone Death” and the ability “{2}{B}: Put a creature card exiled with Sisters of Stone Death onto the battlefield under your control.” Quicksilver Elemental has the ability “{U}: Quicksilver Elemental gains all activated abilities of target creature until end of turn.” If a player has Quicksilver Elemental gain Arc-Slogger’s ability, activates it, then has Quicksilver Elemental gain Sisters of Stone Death’s abilities, activates the exile ability, and then activates the return-to-the-battlefield ability, only the creature card Quicksilver Elemental exiled with Sisters of Stone Death’s ability can be returned to the battlefield. Creature cards Quicksilver Elemental exiled with Arc-Slogger’s ability can’t be returned.

If I activate Synod Sanctum's second ability on a Myr Welder, would all cards exiled by the Myr enter the battlefield? Instants and sorceries wouldn't, so I assume they'd go to the graveyard.
    Cards exiled by the Myr Welder only return in this situation if they were originally exiled by using Synod Sanctum's first ability on the Myr Welder

If I get an Azor's Gateway on it, then use its ability while there are five or more different converted mana costs, do I transform the Myr?
    If you put Azors Gateway on the Myr and then use it 5+ times so that 5 different CMC were exiled BY THE AZOR GATEWAY ability on the Myr Welder, then the rest of the ability will try to go off, so you will untap the Myr Welder and gain 5 life. The Myr Welder isn't a DFC so it can't transform, that part of the ability just disappears. It doesn't look at the CMC of cards exiled by any other ability to check if it flips

Isochron Scepter, if an instant or sorcery with converted mana cost greater than 2 ended up on the Myr, could it be activated to cast the spell? The one that throws me off the most with this is the use of the phrase "the exiled card." Prototype Portal and Soul Foundry follow the same pattern.
    I don't think there's any way to get this to work

Muse Vessel appears similar to Isochron Scepter in its wording, but according to gatherer, there is a ruling: "Only cards exiled as a result of the first ability can be played as a result of the second ability."
    This is also true for isochron scepter, the Gatherer thing is just a reminder. You can only cast things with Muse Vessel 2nd ability on Myr Welder if they were exiled by Muse Vessel 1st ability on Myr Welder

Whip of Erobos exiles creatures when they leave play. Would the Myr get the abilities of those exiled creatures?
    No

If there were multiple Basking Rootwalla exiled on the Myr, could it use each +2/+2 ability, or only one a turn?
    Interesting question, if you somehow exiled 2 rootwalla using Myr Welder's tap ability I believe it could use each once

If a planeswalker were on it, could it use the loyalty abilities?
    If it were somehow exiled by Myr Welder's tap ability, yes

Re: Myr Welder + Other Exiled Cards

Ah, that is a very specific rule that makes all of these interactions make sense. Thanks.

Thread Information