1 Bayou
    1 Breeding Pool
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Command Tower
    1 Exotic Orchard
    1 Command Beacon
    1 Cascading Cataracts

Damnit. 99 cards. I have to figure out what is missing.

This is my second attempt an an actual good EDH deck. I have been working on it since about the time Leovold got banned - sorta without a proper commander that mattered until Muldrotha. He has been a good direction, but this is still sort of a _maxValue sort of deck. My environment is fairly competitive, but it is never just two players. Some notes:

-You can see my aversion to artifact mana. Artifact hate and sweepers are an issue. I am trying not to present good targets.
    -I am concerned about not having enough Keep Out signs, as I am soft to aggro. Does Propaganda or Collective Restraint work well? What else is there?
    -I do not really have a plan. I just kinda try to manage my resources and react to threats until I get Tooth and Nail or Torment of Hailfire with a lot of land. Is there something better I can be doing?
    -Muldrotha is a cool commander, but I fairly well just get one use and he dies or gets stolen or something. So I have a very light splash of commander-specific cards.
    -Nasty hate like Stranglehold, Blood Moon, and Humility as well as lots of lesser variants are a constant threat.

I am looking for opinions on my card choices and general feedback.
    Thx
    Last edited by Finn; 05-29-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [EDH]Muldrotha, the Gravetide

Muldrotha looks like an extra-emely powerful Commander...

Enchantments:
    Mystic Remora
    Seal of Primordium
    Pernicious Deed
    Secrets of the Dead

Creatures:
    River Kelpie
    Shriekmaw
    Mulldrifter
    Sylvan Safekeeper

Artifacts:
    Mindstone (or Commander's Sphere)
    Lightning Greaves
    Lotus Petal

Lands:
    Command Beacon
    Phyrexian Tower
    Cavern of Souls

Probably better than Propaganda/Restraint would be Elephant Grass.

Ponder, Brainstorm, and Pact all seem pretty bad. Unless I'm missing a way you abuse them.

As far as gameplan... I think you go BUG Control with your long game being value-engines and overwhelming resources. Permanents with multiple types are super-valuable and cards like Intuition and Buried Alive should always essentially be Ancestral Recall with Muldrotha out (for example, Buried Alive gets Baleful Strix, Courser of Kruphix, and Sakura-Tribe Elder). Shriekmaw/Fleshbag Maurader and Phyrexian Tower can control the board pretty well.

Muldrotha and the Commander format in general pretty much lets you keep a hand of Mystic Remora and -source and run away with card advantage.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Pernicious Deed is probably a fantastic idea. I will have to find a spot for it, thx.

I'm less ready to include Mystic Remora. Remora is not special early because you have to get to 6 to even cast the commander, and it would be crazy to try to keep up with that upkeep. Later on it is better, but maybe not better than Rhystic Study in a group setting. I saw that some other players were using it. Maybe I am missing something.

Fleshbag Marauder, Caustic Caterpillar ,Sakura-Tribe Elder, Nihil Spellbomb, Glen Elendra Archmage, Wayfarer's Bauble have been pretty darn good. They kill themselves, so no need for Tower. Nothing has gone broken simply because my opponents just don't let Muldrotha stick around. What I get out him is similar to a draw spell or bigger Snapcaster effect. I think I should have Command Beacon because the cost gets prohibitive if the game goes very long.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I'm less ready to include Mystic Remora. Remora is not special early because you have to get to 6 to even cast the commander, and it would be crazy to try to keep up with that upkeep. Later on it is better, but maybe not better than Rhystic Study in a group setting. I saw that some other players were using it. Maybe I am missing something.
    Early is exactly where Remora shines - that's the part of the game everyone is running out their ramp and such, which is 95% of the time non-creature spells. They also don't usually have 4 to pay to keep you from drawing cards. Plus, Cumulative Upkeep is just a means to sacrifice it and re-buy with your commander. Pay for a turn or two, then let it die and run it out again with the upkeep back at zero. When it becomes less useful, leave it dead for good.

Unless I'm missing it somewhere, I was sort of surprised not to see Tasigur, the Golden Fang in your list. I'll also second Ace with the River Kelpie recommendation - that card is pretty nuts when you're casting something out of your graveyard every turn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Np Finn, I'm always (probably too) happy to share my thoughts on EDH stuff.

Mystic Remora is comparable in many ways to Rhystic Study. But costing means it comes down 2 turns earlier, and to keep you from drawing extra cards the opponent needs to pay (!!!) additional mana. In a 4-player game, you get 3 opportunities per turn-cycle to draw additional cards with it. That should be enough to keep you even on lands-per-turn. Honestly, once it has replaced itself it no longer matters how long you milk extra cards out of it. But it will be there for you after you've played Muldrotha allowing you to keep the effect going for forever after. [EDIT: Meh... Davran says it better. And I missed that Remora was 'non-creature spells']

I mentioned Phyrexian Tower more as a way to abuse Snapcaster Mage, Eternal Witness, Coiling Oracle, Kokusho, really any creature with EtB. Plus it's a way to pseudo-protect any of your monsters (or Moldrotha herself... Flavor text says 'she' ) in case an opponent tries to steal them. And it tapping for lets you power out spells a turn early.

Reading over my comments here, I realize I haven't stated anything that isn't obvious from reading the cards. But in a format like Commander, a card like Mystic Remora is waaaay more powerful than Brainstorm. And including Phyrexian Tower over one of your 10 Forests takes away very little while adding more flexibility.

Muldrotha looks like a ton of fun to build and play because of the huge amount of synergies out there. I hope you have fun with it!

Jul 2017
    Newfoundland, Canada

LED + Muldrotha + a clone effect (Phantasmal Image) + Animate Dead - this will let you make infinite mana. You can then feed this into a mana sink of your choice (Walking Ballista is great).

I'm working on 2 lists, one value and one more competitive combo.

Here's my list - http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-04...the-gravetide/
    Play All The Decks!

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Thanks for all this information. I have tried the deck a few times now and I am so happy with the role of the commander in this deck. Command Beacon is outstanding in this deck. Off Intuition, it is great in the graveyard or in my hand. There is little need to pay a premium for multiple commander summons because you can just get the land back for the next time as soon as Muldrotha resolves.

I have just a smattering of graveyard interaction because I do not want to lose to graveyard hate. Muldrotha makes for big late game turns. So much fun. Now I'm on the lookout for other goodies.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have just a smattering of graveyard interaction because I do not want to lose to graveyard hate. Muldrotha makes for big late game turns. So much fun. Now I'm on the lookout for other goodies.
    A card that enables graveyard shenanigans (in conjunction with Muldrotha), but functions perfectly fine without access to the graveyard, is Survival of the Fittest.

I'm not sure if Nissa, Steward of Elements would be any good... I wouldn't recommend Nissa normally, but Muldrotha makes her more appealing. Once you reach 8 mana, you can cast Nissa and ultimate each turn which creates a decent (although temporary) threat while conserving other resources.

I've had a lot of fun with Grim Flayer. Not sure if he appeals to you.

Thread Information